C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

C200 Front Wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C200 Elegance
C200 Front Wheel bearings

I have been having issues with the steering on my C class for ages now and each time I think I am close to sorting it I am not. So far it has had a new drag link, track rod ends, steering arm bush and steering damper and after all this had wheel alignment at MB. The steering box seems fine (I think) as if you turn the wheel (car running) the wheels move with the slightest turn of the steering wheel.

I discovered recently that there was a clunk in my front wheels if you jacked the car and rocked the wheel top and bottom, ahh bearing I thought. Upon examination I was surprised to see they looked quite new, I thought maybe they had been replaced before I bought the car (I was told a lot of work done) but not checked and readjusted later. I adjusted them and the car drove much better for a short while, I then checked them again at about 300 miles and again a clunk but not as bad, I adjusted them again. I today checked for a clunk again (about 500 miles on) as it is feeling sloppy again to drive and the clunk is back.

Each time I followed what it says in the haynes manual to adjust them but may have not tightened them as much as could, I tightened so the wheel still rotated easily and the clunk was gone.

My questions are: They need replacing as no good now? Have I not adjusted them correctly?

Cheers
Old 11-18-2011, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
You know im in the same boat aswell with you, I get a slight pull from the front. I changed exactly what you changed 3 weeks ago and now Im thinking, 1: The Wheel bearings need replacement, 2: The Upper & Lower Control arms needs replacement and/or Shocks and springs and if possible 3: Reman Steering Gear Box. So this is what I am left with for some reason. I might actually change the front wheel bearings in the next month or so and see how better it gets if any better or worst. So if you do them before me, let me know before i start shopping for more parts again.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 AM

1999 C200 Elegance
My next job is going to be changing the power steering fluid as described here

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...flush-diy.html

looks easy and doesn't cost a lot. I am hoping I do not need a new power steering pump. If that doesn't improve things then off with the wheel bearings but it may have to wait until the new year.

I will update here as to my progress
Old 11-25-2011, 10:06 AM

1999 C200 Elegance
I have now flushed my power steering fluid, I don't think I did a great job and no doubt some of the old oil is still in there. I can't say there is a huge improvement, the steering does feel a little smoother for sure but my front looseness still remains. Next will be the wheel bearings.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
I heard the steering box needs adjustment so I was gonna look into to it maybe that can be the problem
Old 11-26-2011, 02:45 AM

1999 C200 Elegance
Originally Posted by Tony_AMG
I heard the steering box needs adjustment so I was gonna look into to it maybe that can be the problem
I would be interested to know how you get on with a steering box adjustment and hows its done. Cheers