C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

About your W202....Getting to know each other....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About your W202....Getting to know each other....

Hello,

I thought it would be nice to start a thread devoted to introducing yourself and telling about your W202, and what made you buy it. Also, you could talk about when and why you started modding it, and what people think of your cars. Additionally, write about any special experiences or moments you had with your C Class.

I will start off...

Way back in 1996, we decided that we needed a new car. After looking at many different cars, we came to the Mercedes dealer, and saw the C Class and fell in love with it. However, we learned that Mercedes would introduce a C230 (over the back then C220) as a 1997 model year. We decided on going for the C230. We placed an order, and were called that our car was in. It was apparently (according to the salesman) the first C230 on the east coast. We had to pay sticker on the car, because of the rarity back then. We originally wanted a black one with parchment interior, but then we fell in love with the metallic look, so decided on paying the money to upgrade to black opal. We also got a security system put in. We took delivery on the car on a rainy Friday night (in September 1996) from Ray Catena Mercedes Benz in New Jersey. Since then, we used the car as a weekend car, hardly driving it an hardly putting any mileage on it. As of now, the car has around 40,000 miles on it, and we have only had one major problem (transmission, had to get car towed to dealer). The only mods on the car are tinted windows and Alpine CD Changer. More mods are coming soon!

Well, thats my W202 story!

-pks485
Old 08-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
I Just bought whatever I could afford years ago (only need was the sunroof and a diesel engine) and started from there...somewhere along the line something went wrong...

greetingz,
Old 08-18-2003, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally posted by MBenzNL
I Just bought whatever I could afford years ago (only need was the sunroof and a diesel engine) and started from there...somewhere along the line something went wrong...

greetingz,

Cause Now Your The EURO Pimp
Old 08-19-2003, 01:39 PM

98 MB C280
yea got me a c220 4 weeks ago. went out looking for a fast sporty car, came back with a luxury slow behimoth**. hummmmm....

but me happy

Last edited by fast mayte; 08-19-2003 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Almost a Member!

C280
It all started back in May of '03...

I had a Lexus ES 300 with about 140K on the clock and decided it was time to get another car. I drive at least 25K miles per year for my job, so I am constantly on the road. Needless to say, I usually don't keep anything for more than 2-3 years, and I always buy used so I don't have to take the depreciation hit when I try to sell a 3 year old car w/ 75K on it.

My wife had a Subaru wagon w/ almost 200K on it so we decided to get rid of the wagon, she would drive the Lexus, and I would get a new ride (I'm paying for it, so I may as well get to drive it). I originally bought a '00 Volvo, but it turned out to be a complete POS and I got no help from the dealer or Volvo NA, so I traded it in for my '99 C280 and I have never looked back.

The Volvo re-introduced me to the European ergonomics (which I prefer over the Japanese design) and I decided to stick w/ the Euro. Out of all of the Euro makers, MB definately has the nicest looking, most forward thinking (with a nice nod to their past as well), and most reliable models out there (not referring to the '00+ cars). I went for the black C280 w/ parchment interior.

As to the mods, nothing yet, but I do have a set of Bosch clear corners on the way. I will eventually put a set of 17s or 18s on it, and I'll probably lower it a little. I'm thinking about a new grill and a set of blinking miror covers too. All cosmetic for now. I'll wait until my Starmark expires before I start doing any ECU or other engine based mods. (Maybe I'll put a VTEC sticker on it - I hear those are good for about 20 horses )
Old 08-19-2003, 02:37 PM

Nice W202 story guys!

Keep it coming! It seems like everyone so far is happy with their C Classes!
Old 08-19-2003, 05:15 PM

1999 C280 Sport
Hi fellow w202

I got my 1999 C280 Sport last year for myself on my 30th B-day at 35K miles (it's at 55K miles now). At the time it was a great price but now it's depreciated even more. Oh well, all I can say is I'll be keeping it for at least 2-3 more years and get my money's worth out of her.

I learned very quickly thanks to this forum about all those lights that were on my dash: had to change front & rear brakes, brake light bulb, MAS, and the usual maintenance- engine oil & filter, air filter, transmission fluid & filter.

After all that was done, I went to the cosmetic mods: clear corners, avantgard grill, brabus springs & bilstein sport shocks. Also got a Pioneer CD/DVD/Navigation unit with amp and 10" subs which is the shiet!

I am pretty much done w/ mods (maybe blinking side mirror later on) and I am just enjoying my ride now. She rides and handles like a charm, no major problems. Took her down LA (400 mi. each way) and back a couple times already.

That's my story,

timecop369
Old 08-19-2003, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Mine starts in February of 2002. My parents bought an Allabaster White (the color reminds me more of Arctic, so I like to say it's Arctic White) 95 C 280. They drove it down to San Antonio where I was attending St. Mary's Univ. It was the first really nice car my parents bought. I assumed it was much newer, then, because to me Mercedes styling is has always been timeless. It was purchased used and Starmarked in January of 2003 with 44k on the odometer. I liked it right away, but I was thoroughly involved with my YUKON at the time.

I moved back home in May of 2002 and began to drive the C when my parents left town or whenever they let me. I liked my YUKON, but I started to feel my love for cars coming back. My dad would tease me about maybe giving it to me and I would blow it off cause I had just put a system in my YUKON and was very happy with it.

Eventually the gas guzzling got to my wallet, as well as my parents' and it was time to do some serious re-thinking of our automobile situation. My dad offered the Mercedes to me in April of 2003 and I took a week to think about it and then asked for the keys. I regret my choice only when I need room to haul things, but on the interstate at 80 mph and during in town madness, I realize I've never made a wiser choice. Shortly after I got it I began frantically searching for a msg. board to join and found this place and eventually club202.com.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:40 PM

Ours started around 2 years ago, even though we've only had our 95 C280 for a year. My family is a "Mercedes" family. My parents always had Mercedes when I was growing up. My dad had a 300D 123 body, my aunt a 240D 123, my mom a 300TD, my grandparents 123s and a 126, etc.

Anyway, back to the story. 2 years ago my mom decided that it was time for a new car. She'd had her 81 300TD for 20+ years. My parent's looked for probably a month, and they decided on a 95 C280. It was tan, had only 70k miles, and was in almost perfect condition (until I backed it into a tree 2 days after she got it, but that's another story). Up until that time, I wasn't too sure about the new computerized Mercedes cars. I wanted another 123 body diesel. Seeing her car made me believe that Mercedes hadn't screwed up the newer cars.

A year ago we were planning our wedding. We got married at my grandmother's house, so there was some work to do to prepare. The day that my wife had her bridal shower, my dad and I went down to my grandmother's house to do some painting. We stopped by an independent Mercedes repair shop on the way, where I found a 95 C280 - almost exactly the same as my mom's. I had in the back of my mind that something like what my mom had found would be nice, and I didn't really want to get the same exact car that she has, but the price was wonderful, it was in great shape, and from a shop that we've dealt with for years.

So, my wife drove down after her bridal shower. We thought it over for a few days, then decided to buy it. She got herself a nice wedding present a few weeks before the big day. It's been a fairly uneventful year of ownership. I added a set of small air horns, and replaced a couple of dash light bulbs. This month she is going to get a new radio, as her Bose system has a very loud hiss. I also need to get a new outside temperature sensor.

Btw, her mom now has an 01 C240, her mom's fiance has an 03 C240, my sister has an 85 300SD, my aunt has an 83 300D, my grandmother has an 88 450SEL, my mom has her 95 C280, and we have our 95 C280. That's somewhere around 675k Mercedes miles. My wife keeps trying to arrange a family Mercedes photo. I'd say I'm doomed to own another Mercedes myself some day.

-Tad
Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
I got my first car 7 months after I turned 16. It was an 89 190E 2.6 with 151,000 miles. It was in very good shape with perfect paint and a perfect interior. Two years later I ran into the back of a Suburban because I was blinded by the sun. When I got out of the car to look at my totalled car I was hit by a truck coming over a hill at 55 miles per hour. I was thrown into my still open car door which was bent all the way around to the fender and my head broke out the door window. To make a long story short I sued the driver for negligence because he was on medication that prohibited driving and operating heavy machinery. He was lighting up a cigarette at the time he hit me and didn't even realize he did it. People had to chase him to get him to stop. Three months later I got a 92 190E 2.3 with 72,000 miles on it. I still have it by the way. After I got the check from the lawsuit I rewarded myself with my tectite gray C280. I bought it with 70,000 miles and absolutely no flaws anywhere on the car. It's had its problems here and there but I still love it. I didn't buy it for the status symbol but I can't help but grin when I get the looks from people. So there's my story, enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails About your W202....Getting to know each other....-angle-1side.jpg  
Old 08-19-2003, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
My family has been primarily a Mercedes family as well. Started with my parents owning a 500SEL in the 80's and my grandfather owning a S500 in the early 90's.

Unfortunatly, my parents had to sell the SEL due to circumstances at the time and we had a Audi 5000, so we were down to one car.

In 94, when we decided that we needed another car, originally, my parents were just about to purchase a 94 Camry, when the owner of the dealership (which we have purchased cars from for over 20 years, Clair Motors of Boston, now of Westwood for Benz), showed my parents a brand new 94 Silver C220 that just came off the truck and my parents figured it wasn't much more than the Camry, so they started the paper work.

That and the Audi 5000 were the primary cars for work and such, one for my father and one for my mother. After the C220, my parents have bought Benzes ('99 ML430, '01 S500) since, and another Audi, A6, when the 5000 died.

My father gave me the keys when I passed my license test on January 2001. That was with 97,000 miles. Now, I have driven it for 2.5 years and currently have 129,000 miles on it. I absolutly love the car and am sure that it will continue to be great for many years to come. I would definatly get another w202 if I had to, hopefully a C36 or C43...hehe.

Continuing to roll in my trusty C220...
Old 08-19-2003, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
my mom was looking at a M3 before she bought me my benz. a day before my driver lisence test. so i got this C280 instead brand new 30 miles on it
Old 08-20-2003, 02:04 PM

Great stories guys! Keep it coming!
Old 08-24-2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by nazrat

Btw, her mom now has an 01 C240, her mom's fiance has an 03 C240, my sister has an 85 300SD, my aunt has an 83 300D, my grandmother has an 88 450SEL, my mom has her 95 C280, and we have our 95 C280. That's somewhere around 675k Mercedes miles. My wife keeps trying to arrange a family Mercedes photo. I'd say I'm doomed to own another Mercedes myself some day.

-Tad
It is spreading. My wife's mother just bought an 03 230slk, in silver just like her 01 C240.

-Tad
Old 08-24-2003, 02:49 PM

2004 e320
I was driving a 98 528i and hit a lexus ls 430 head on at about 65mph. the car flipped and needless to say was totaled!! i escaped with my thoughts in tact only. i had always driven bmw's i have a list of them under my belt 6 new cars in all by 29 years old. my buddy is a whole saler in south florida and offered to sneak me in to buy a car off lease at the high line auction. naturally i was going to get another BMW. when i asked him what car he thought i should look at he said a Mercedes Benz..he told me for overall driving satisfaction and reliability pick up a benz. so i saw a 97 c230 with 29k on one of the lines. it had all of the books keys etc and just came back to the bank from lease. the deal was a no brainer!!!! any way long story short. i have had a 528, 740il, 525, (2) 325, & 318 since i was 17. always loved the cars etc. but NOTHING compares to my mercedes benz. don't ask me why but i obsess over this car. and in relation to my other rides this one is modst. it was a move to downscale in car etc and turned out to be the best auto decision i have ever made. 30k in a year and only minor repairs and slight cosmetics. Also i cherish the fact that this car is MB text and wit the exception of the steering wheel and shift knob my car is cruelty free!! i detest leather and refuse to have it ever again.!!! thats my 2 cents.