C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

'97 C280 Sport; IR Keyless Entry??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C280 Sports
'97 C280 Sport; IR Keyless Entry??

I was at the dealer test driving the merc a few days ago, and was fascinated by the neat-o little switchblade key fobs that came with it, hehe. But what really got at me was a tiny little IR window on the front of the fob. Am I to believe that MBz chose an infra-red system for their remote keyless entry? Do I have to be standing five feet in front of the drivers door to actually unlock this thing? I dont know how much I like that idea. Anyway, maybe I was just seeing things. It also has a little 3-stage light thing on the door handle that turns red when you lock it amongst others... Any explanations?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: '97 C280 Sport; IR Keyless Entry??

Originally posted by maytagman
I was at the dealer test driving the merc a few days ago, and was fascinated by the neat-o little switchblade key fobs that came with it, hehe. But what really got at me was a tiny little IR window on the front of the fob. Am I to believe that MBz chose an infra-red system for their remote keyless entry? Do I have to be standing five feet in front of the drivers door to actually unlock this thing? I dont know how much I like that idea. Anyway, maybe I was just seeing things. It also has a little 3-stage light thing on the door handle that turns red when you lock it amongst others... Any explanations?
I believe the IR is for the ignition. Most likely, if you have that key-fob, the remote has to match up to the ignition's computer to allow you to start the car.

The keyless entry should be on RF and for the most part, you can stand a good distance to unlock the car. If your too far away and want to unlock it, just hold the remote under your chin and press unlock (trust me, it works if you haven't tried it before)

-G-
Old 01-25-2004, 10:58 AM

1997 C280 Sports
Hmph, that sounds like a trick you would play on a newbie like me :P However, I could see it as being possible since the human body does match the earth-current, making it a giagantic antenna, hehe (at least thats what Tesla thought). So you can start the car without using the key? Bizzaro.... I cant wait to get it delivered so I can fiddle around with all these gizmos!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by maytagman
Hmph, that sounds like a trick you would play on a newbie like me :P However, I could see it as being possible since the human body does match the earth-current, making it a giagantic antenna, hehe (at least thats what Tesla thought). So you can start the car without using the key? Bizzaro.... I cant wait to get it delivered so I can fiddle around with all these gizmos!
haha. seriously tho, it does work. you gave the explanation already

as for starting without the key, thats keyless go in the newer models. what i mean was that when you stick in the key into the ignition, the remote fob sends a signal to the computer inside the car to make sure that the key is correct and matches the codes then you can start. i'm not sure if this is incorporated on the 97's yet, but i am pretty sure they were on the 98's+. But from the way you described the remote, sounds like it.

-G-
Old 01-25-2004, 05:54 PM

2008 Rav4, 1997 Lexus ES300
Hey GDawg, thanks for the info about unlocking the door at a distance away. My wife and i have had occasional problems opening our 99' C230K even within 5 feet of the car. I have taken the car in in the past to make sure it wasnt the battery and we were told that there were strategically placed sensors on the car that you have to be in front of. I guess we will try the chin-method to see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by 67 Demon
Hey GDawg, thanks for the info about unlocking the door at a distance away. My wife and i have had occasional problems opening our 99' C230K even within 5 feet of the car. I have taken the car in in the past to make sure it wasnt the battery and we were told that there were strategically placed sensors on the car that you have to be in front of. I guess we will try the chin-method to see if that makes a difference.
:-D It really does work..just give it a try sometime. *Caution* - you may look a bit weird to people tho holding your remote under your chin as your walking to your car and unlocking it :p

-G-
Old 01-26-2004, 12:28 AM

2004 e320
maytag,
i had the IR key on my 97 C230-the very first thing i noticed was the range and how limited it was. i was instructed that this was purposely done by Mercedes to prevent accidential unlocking at a distance where the red or green light could not be observed. secondly, my first benz came right after a couple of BMW's and i was used to pressing the button on the IR key and getting immediate response. not the case with MB cars. Point and hold for about half a second or so. and yes i found it quite helpful to point at the rearview mirror, trunk, or door handle. Now, the worst thing about that whole system is the key costs 147 us dollars to replace if you lose it and its clunky as hell to have on a key chain. Our other cars 94/95 Benz have just the key and our personal preference is not to have the IR switchblade key. again its just my preference though. However i did find the option extremely novel for the first few months or so. Summary: more gadgets=more gremlins
Old 01-27-2004, 02:58 PM

1995 C280
Re: Re: '97 C280 Sport; IR Keyless Entry??

Originally posted by GDawgC220

just hold the remote under your chin and press unlock (trust me, it works if you haven't tried it before)

-G-
dude, that's one of the oldest and best tricks in the book. best used when i can't find my car in a big parking lot.