C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Hic-up at around 1600-1800 rpm??????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2004 | 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Question Hic-up at around 1600-1800 rpm??????

I have been reading this board for a week now and finally registered this evening. Good stuff. It brought attention to a lot of things I didn't know exsisted in the benz world. Running sick 1/4's, serious mods, etc...

I currently own my first benz which I purchased last summer. It is a 99' C230 Kompressor Sport. The car is black on black including the windows. I love it to death. I look like a drug dealer. Anyways it came out of the garage a little while ago when the snow cleared up and I have decieded to try for a few extra hp/trq for the engine.

I have purchased a Kleeman pulley kit, K&N filter, and an upsolute chip to be installed in a few weeks. I installed the K&N filter today and plan on relocating the MAF sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Upon starting the car it seemed to idel a little nicer than before but thats the only thing I really noticed. I didn't expect much from the filter I just wanted a quality replacement. After a quick drive to the gym I found myself slightly reving the engine while in "park".

While doing this I notice a wierd sound around 1600-2000rpm. Its almost a "pppfffftt, click, hic-up" type of sound. Its very quick and doesn't seem to be noticed while driving or to even to effect the car while in drive. Also in park is the rev-limiter lowered. It seems to kick on around 4000rpm. Seems a little low, is that just because the car is in park and its free reving??

Any feedback would be much appreciated,

THANKS
Old 02-28-2004 | 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Hic-up at around 1600-1800 rpm??????

Originally posted by NitrogenBalance
I have been reading this board for a week now and finally registered this evening. Good stuff. It brought attention to a lot of things I didn't know exsisted in the benz world. Running sick 1/4's, serious mods, etc...

I currently own my first benz which I purchased last summer. It is a 99' C230 Kompressor Sport. The car is black on black including the windows. I love it to death. I look like a drug dealer. Anyways it came out of the garage a little while ago when the snow cleared up and I have decieded to try for a few extra hp/trq for the engine.

I have purchased a Kleeman pulley kit, K&N filter, and an upsolute chip to be installed in a few weeks. I installed the K&N filter today and plan on relocating the MAF sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Upon starting the car it seemed to idel a little nicer than before but thats the only thing I really noticed. I didn't expect much from the filter I just wanted a quality replacement. After a quick drive to the gym I found myself slightly reving the engine while in "park".

While doing this I notice a wierd sound around 1600-2000rpm. Its almost a "pppfffftt, click, hic-up" type of sound. Its very quick and doesn't seem to be noticed while driving or to even to effect the car while in drive. Also in park is the rev-limiter lowered. It seems to kick on around 4000rpm. Seems a little low, is that just because the car is in park and its free reving??

Any feedback would be much appreciated,

THANKS
K&N, eh? I've seen a lot of posts where people put K&N's on their car. For a few days seems good, then after a while, the car doesn't feel like before.

K&N at most gives 1-2hp, can't feel it (usually in your mind :p) but yes it does allow more air through than the stock airfilter. But, think about it. If there was a airfilter that allowed more air through than MB's stock one, i'm sure they would have used it.

Back to the problem at hand. Most times, K&N filters kill your Mass Airflow Sensor due to the oil film on the filter. As air goes through, it lets some of the film through and just ruins your MAF sensor. From your symptoms, maybe that the car is not getting enough air or something of the like.

Try taking out the K&N and putting the stock one back in for a few days and see what the result is. But also keep an eye out for the CEL (check engine light).

Hope this helps man. Post pics of the car
Old 02-29-2004 | 04:18 PM

If the best advise I had to offer was based on hear-say, I would offer it too.
Just to up my post count.