C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

How to remove ashtray flip down cover?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove ashtray flip down cover?

I dont smoke, so i put my coins in the ashtray compartment (something i'll never do after today...)

so i have the joy of going around S Curves to get to my work (its a joy to drive everyday) so me and my stock 1999 C230 Kompressor are having our lovely morning work drive when i hear my coins rattle, and in they go behind the actual flip down assembly area.

so i pop the ashtray out, and it was sorta hard to remove, took a REALLY hard push, then when i try to close it, it wont close or it will close but then 5 minutes later pop open.

now does anyone know how i can remove that WHOLE ashtray box area. i have the stock stereo with the 6 cd changer in the trunk, and i have that empty area under the stereo and above the ashtray flip down. i unscrewed the 2 screws there, and took out the compartment and i see that the ashtray unit just sits there, but even if i could take it out, is there a easier way where i can just take the door out and free the stuck change?
Old 07-12-2004, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by ikelee
I dont smoke, so i put my coins in the ashtray compartment (something i'll never do after today...)

so i have the joy of going around S Curves to get to my work (its a joy to drive everyday) so me and my stock 1999 C230 Kompressor are having our lovely morning work drive when i hear my coins rattle, and in they go behind the actual flip down assembly area.

so i pop the ashtray out, and it was sorta hard to remove, took a REALLY hard push, then when i try to close it, it wont close or it will close but then 5 minutes later pop open.

now does anyone know how i can remove that WHOLE ashtray box area. i have the stock stereo with the 6 cd changer in the trunk, and i have that empty area under the stereo and above the ashtray flip down. i unscrewed the 2 screws there, and took out the compartment and i see that the ashtray unit just sits there, but even if i could take it out, is there a easier way where i can just take the door out and free the stuck change?
You should take the whole ashtray out.

If you lift the area around the shifter (with the window switches), you can pull the cubbyhole up that is in front of the shifter. After you pull that up, there are two screws (that go in sideways, you need a short screwdriver). Removing those will release the ashtray.

Might I suggest you remove the ashtray and replace it with the ashtray-delete option. It's difficult to see in this picture, and ignore the COMAND and the moving of the climate control, but it replaces the whole ashtray and smaller cubbyhole with a large deep cubbyhole:

http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/instal...o&PhotoID=2039

-s-
Old 07-12-2004, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by scorchie

If you lift the area around the shifter (with the window switches), you can pull the cubbyhole up that is in front of the shifter. After you pull that up, there are two screws (that go in sideways, you need a short screwdriver). Removing those will release the ashtray.

Might I suggest you remove the ashtray and replace it with the ashtray-delete option. It's difficult to see in this picture, and ignore the COMAND and the moving of the climate control, but it replaces the whole ashtray and smaller cubbyhole with a large deep cubbyhole:

-s-
ah many many thanks, i shall have to try that when i get home.

and i may look into getting that ashtray removed and putting in that large cubby hole thanks!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:41 PM

C220
Clk Dtm

Scorchie- when you get that CLK DTM in, please post pictures... THEY ARE SWEET> thanks, sholly

Last edited by ShollyC220; 07-12-2004 at 10:42 PM. Reason: smilie in subject
Old 07-16-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by scorchie

-s-
Where did you get that unit, what was the cost, and was it hard to install? I have a 99 C230K.

Thanks...
Old 07-16-2004, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by BenzMan1
Where did you get that unit, what was the cost, and was it hard to install? I have a 99 C230K.

Thanks...
They're about $50 ($30 for the actual unit, $13 for the power outlet, and $7 for the mat that sits in the bottom). If anyone wants one let me know and I can put you in touch with the parts people that have them.

I will post a better picture when I find one.

-s-
Old 07-16-2004, 06:59 PM

I was talking about the nav unit in link you provided
Old 07-20-2004, 09:28 PM

95 C280
if you still need to do it, the process goes like this...

1. take out the shifter wood piece that has the window swithces..just pull it up a little harder and it will come out.
2. When you do that, take out the gray plastic that sits below the ashtray.
just pull it up its not screwed to anything.
3. there will be 2 gold screws on bottom of ashtray on each side, take them out and pull the ash tray out...

Elvir