C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Does the "C" stand for check engine light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the "C" stand for check engine light?

Hello fellow Benz drivers. Can I pick your brains with a couple of questions? I own a sweet 1999 c280sport with 33,000 miles on the clock...still under a Daimler/Chrysler warrenty until 2/06 ($100. deductible). My check engine light comes and goes non stop. The dealer has replaced the mass airflow sensor twice this year. They want to blame the problem on the gas cap, etc. I don't think that this is the problem, as I can't get the cap any tighter, or better aligned. I only refill the tank once a month as this is a second car. The CEL will usually start glowing on and off around the 2nd week (approx 100miles) . Of course it is never on when I'm close to the dealer. The other nasty problem that I have concerns starting the car. Sometimes it takes as many as a dozen attempts. It acts as if the battery is dead. Most times it starts just fine on the first attempt. Again, this never happens at the dealership. This is a great car, but I'm getting so that I don't trust it, especially with the starting problem. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks! Mark.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:11 PM

C280
hmmmm....I had a similar problem with a nissan maxima. turns out it was ****ty gas. I filled the tank up with shell V-Power and the check engine light went away and the car ran great. Give the good stuff a shot and see what happens......
Old 11-07-2004, 07:41 PM

Thanks for your reply. I don't think it could be bad gas as I only use 93 octane, and always from the same Mobil station..and feed 2 cars. I did take the time to read every post on this forum pertaining to the CEL. Because the car runs great, I'll just let the dealer try to figure it out during the next oil service. They will probably blame the gas cap once again. I am more concerned about the smart key not wanting to work correctly every time. Today it took 7 attempts to engage the starter. It does slightly turn over each time, but not enough to start the car. I have tried to remove the key, wiping any smudges from the end, etc,and trying again. Sometimes this works, most times it won't. It never happens at the dealership. I'm real concerned about it stranding me. Has anyone else had this problem? It has been going on for over 2 years...but eventually will start the car. Thanks again for any advice...I really like the car, and would prefer to work out the bugs.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 175 Likes on 145 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
try the tech forum on this site, or this other site. I'm guessing you have to have the codes read while the CEL is on....
Old 11-07-2004, 08:49 PM

Eddie, Thanks for your reply. After searching through all pages of the tech threads, I saw a couple of possibilities. I'll have the dealer check battery connections, and starter connections, as well. I just can't help but think that it is the key causing the problem..or something with the way the security codes change after every attempt at starting. I'm no mechanic, however. Does your 2000 c280sport start every time you twist the key? or does it occasionally attempt a 1 second engagement of the starter, then nothing..as though the battery were dead. I don't think it could be my battery, as this has been a problem for at least 2 years/10,000miles. I did have the dealer check the battery last year..no problem found. Again, thanks for you help.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:43 AM

Exclamation Check your fuel pump !!

If this happens when gauge comes under 3/4 of a tank, you might have a fuel pump that is about to go. Also have the dealer run the car for 20 minutes on their shop, under a computer controlled environment, and probably the car wil send its fault code, light engine will come on and the computer will record it.

But you have to get tough with them ! Otherwise, your warranty is gone. As for MB Palm Beach, I've read they are a bunch of crooks and all they want to do every time, is take the car in and bill MB USA for labor and do nothing.

Forget Palm Beach. Take it to MB Fort Lauderdale or Pompano Beach, they have good reviews with MB USA. I have heard they are pretty respectable and decent people. Good luck !
Old 11-14-2004, 10:10 AM

rjsr, Thank you for your advice. I shall indeed try the MB service dept in Ft Lauderdale. A faulty fuel pump might just be the problem. I have suspected less than honorable personel at the local MB dealership, as items from my trunk (flashlight,cd's, swiss army knife, etc.) have come up missing after service was performed on more than 1 occasion. I have not brought this to the attn of the management, but instead have reflected this in the owners survey that is sent to me after each service. Last time oil service was done, I made sure all items of value were removed. However prior to the last service, I made sure that the washer fluid was as full as possible, but was STILL charged $5.95 for additional fluid. I realize this amounts to peanuts, but it still ticks me off. Again, I noted this in the customer survey form mailed to me just after the service. Anyhow, I shall take your advice..Thank you again!

Mark
Old 11-15-2004, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Palm Beach Benz
Hello fellow Benz drivers. Can I pick your brains with a couple of questions? I own a sweet 1999 c280sport with 33,000 miles on the clock...still under a Daimler/Chrysler warrenty until 2/06 ($100. deductible). My check engine light comes and goes non stop. The dealer has replaced the mass airflow sensor twice this year. They want to blame the problem on the gas cap, etc. I don't think that this is the problem, as I can't get the cap any tighter, or better aligned. I only refill the tank once a month as this is a second car. The CEL will usually start glowing on and off around the 2nd week (approx 100miles) . Of course it is never on when I'm close to the dealer. The other nasty problem that I have concerns starting the car. Sometimes it takes as many as a dozen attempts. It acts as if the battery is dead. Most times it starts just fine on the first attempt. Again, this never happens at the dealership. This is a great car, but I'm getting so that I don't trust it, especially with the starting problem. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks! Mark.
This is most likely your gas cap. If the 2 MAS changes did not make a difference then change the cap. There is a washer like on the cap that seals the system to make it a closed system. If this is leaking air it can cause MAS like symptoms. My answer is based on my research on my W202 shop CD.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the reply, BenzMan1. I shall stop at the dealer tomorrow for a new gas cap. I'll let you know if this helps. Your expert diagnosis is very helpful. Thank you again!

Mark.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Palm Beach Benz
Thanks for the reply, BenzMan1. I shall stop at the dealer tomorrow for a new gas cap. I'll let you know if this helps. Your expert diagnosis is very helpful. Thank you again!

Mark.
PBB I do not claim to be a expert however, I do play on on TV...follow this link http://www.mercedestechstore.com/w202.htm it will be the best $100 you will ever spend on your car.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:40 PM

BenzMan1, Thanks a million for the link. I ordered the cd just now.. can't wait to recieve it. I never would have found this on my own. Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:47 PM

I'm most happy to report all has been repaired with my 1999 c280sport...and thank god for my warrantee. My starting problem ended up being lack of lubrication on the flywheel. The car now starts every time I turn the key. My check engine light problem ended up being 2 oxygen sensors. The mass airflow sensor and gas cap had been replaced a few months back. The dealership also pointed out a leak in the a/c system, resulting in a replaced dryer. They also found the harmonic balancer was shredding. This is an item that I will have checked at every service, as the part must be poorly designed to fail at 35K miles. Also replaced was a rear speaker, front control arm (causing the front end to squeak), a steering strut that was leaking, a rubber bushing on the shifter, and steering box adjusted, and the cd changer replaced. I also had the oil changed(synthetic), brake fluid changed, radiator flushed, and a door dent removed. Total bill was $2900!!! I only had to pay $347. Warrentee's are a wonderful thing. Next week I will install 4 new Michelins and get an alignment. For a car with such low miles, and babied as much as it is, I'm not real impressed with it's durability. Hopefully the car will be trouble free for awhile.