C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Which shocks should I buy for '99 C280 Sport?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which shocks should I buy for '99 C280 Sport?

Any recommendations? It is at a repair shop as the car's suspension would continue to hop after hitting certain bumps. They looked around and all they can contribute this to is 2 leaking front shocks. I have a few questions:

1) Should I replace all four instead of just the front two (car has 83K miles)
2) Should I have them put on factory replacements, or aftermarket?
3) If aftermarket, any recommendations (I am trying to keep cost to a minimum)? I'd like to keep the sporting character of the car intact, but wouldn't want anything too harsh. It actually rides too stiff now, but I don't know how much of that is due to the bad shocks, and how much is due to the inherent ride characteristics of the car.

Thanks for the help!
Mike
Old 01-05-2005, 12:17 AM

98 C-230
I would do all 4 of them at the same time and oem if i had the money to, but i really like the way mine rides. it's a little lighter since it's a 230. as far as making it ride softer, if they were wore out when you got the car it will be a world of difference no matter what brand you put on. it will drive better too. I would probably do blistens if i wanted aftermarket, but i like a pretty stiff riding car, but Monroe is the softest riding shock i have bought. lots of choices on most cars, dont know about on a benz. good luck
Old 01-05-2005, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I would do as the previous poster said and replace all four at the same time. I have a 95 C 280 and I don't really like the softer ride of the stock shocks it had and so when it came time to replace them I went with Bilstein Heavy Duties, which, I believe, are the shocks that they put on the sport model of later years stock. I like them much better. I got mine from an independent mom and pop shop in FL for around $300 and had a local reputable shop put them on. All said and done the job was a little over $400. This was much better than the $800 the dealer wanted.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:06 PM

MichaelB43

Here you go:
http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make='MERCEDES%20BENZ'&model='180, %20200,%20220,%20250,%20280'&year='2000'
Great people to deal with.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:38 PM

2004 s2000
bilstein...i had them they are great
Old 01-11-2005, 11:28 PM

Uber 202
Stock shocks are pretty much considered blown by the time you hit 40-50K miles, Id say your shocks were blown about 30K miles ago. I have Eibach prokit springs and Bilstein sprot shock, I am very happy with my ride and handling.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:49 AM

It's usually best to replace all 4 shocks.
Bilsteins are a great shock, however on the C-Class they can tend to ride just a bit too firm. It can certainly make the car more sporty, however on rougher city roads you will lose some comfort.

Genuine factory replacement shocks will be expensive, you'll save money, and get better results with aftermarket parts. Our general preference is to go with KONI Sport, or Sachs replacement shocks.
We carry all the brands mentioned above, visit our website or email if you have questions.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by PUREMS
It's usually best to replace all 4 shocks.
Bilsteins are a great shock, however on the C-Class they can tend to ride just a bit too firm. It can certainly make the car more sporty, however on rougher city roads you will lose some comfort.

Genuine factory replacement shocks will be expensive, you'll save money, and get better results with aftermarket parts. Our general preference is to go with KONI Sport, or Sachs replacement shocks.
We carry all the brands mentioned above, visit our website or email if you have questions.
Thanks for the info. How do the KONI or Sachs compare to the Bilstein HD (not the Sport) in terms of comfort? From what I understand, Bilstein makes Comfort, HD and Sport. For the C280, only HD and Sport are available. I'd like to retain the sharp turn-in and relatively flat cornering the car has now, but I wouldn't want it any stiffer. It seems surprisinly stiff as it is (even when I got it with 66K miles).

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by MikeL
Stock shocks are pretty much considered blown by the time you hit 40-50K miles, Id say your shocks were blown about 30K miles ago. I have Eibach prokit springs and Bilstein sprot shock, I am very happy with my ride and handling.
Mike, that is interesting. My repair shop (Hatch and Son in Wayland, MA) said that they would be very surprised if my suspension issue was coming from the shocks. They said that the C-Class shocks are usually good for 100K miles plus. It goes to their shop tomorrow, so I guess we'll see what they say. One thing is for sure...they definitely know their Benzes, since that is their specialty. I do know that people often talk about stock shocks lasting only 40K miles or so if used with a lowering spring, but I am running on stock springs. I'll update tomorrow after they look at it.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MichaelB43
Thanks for the info. How do the KONI or Sachs compare to the Bilstein HD (not the Sport) in terms of comfort? From what I understand, Bilstein makes Comfort, HD and Sport. For the C280, only HD and Sport are available. I'd like to retain the sharp turn-in and relatively flat cornering the car has now, but I wouldn't want it any stiffer. It seems surprisinly stiff as it is (even when I got it with 66K miles).

Thanks,
Mike
The KONI and Sachs will both be considerably more comfortable than either the HD or Sport shock from Bilstein. You might trade off a tad bit of turn in for the comfort, but the performance overall will still be very good.
Our preference would usually be for the KONI shocks on most street cars. Which they're a bit more comfortable than the Bilsteins, they offer surprisingly higher rebound damping great for sport lowering springs.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:54 PM

Koni Sport Kit shocks and springs

I live in Toronto i cant seem to find them here and the price if ne1 know of a site or store and prices plz let me know.