C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
Originally Posted by drexappeal
The rear can be lower if they left the spring pads on. Shouldn't be using the spring pads if you have coilovers.
I didn't know that I guess I will bring my car back to the shop and tell them to take off the pads. Thanks Drex.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
I know it is advised to change your shocks when using springs like the H&R ones. Do the shocks on the early W203 (Pre MY 04.5) sports models wear just as fast as if it were the non sport suspension with aftermarket springs. Ofcourse the springs are a cheaper option, which is what i'm looking for. College is expensive!! I may save for the cup kit, but not if the stock sport shocks can withstand the aftermarket springs well.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230SS
I have an 03 C230SS and the gap between the tire and wheel well is huge in the front (3 fingers gap). I was sitting next to a new C230SS today and noticed that it was approx an inch lower than my setup. Could I hypothetically just change out my 2003 springs with 2004.5 or later springs and get away with it or would I need the shocks too? Anyone getting rid of their stock setup?

Mike
Old 09-22-2006, 03:59 AM

C 240 4-matic wagon
for anyone that cares Vogtland was the only company that offered to make custom springs for my 4-matic, and for what i think is a good price, it was about 200 per spring. They wanted a stock front spring and a few weeks r&d time. I still have not done this yet.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I have vogtlands on my 124 and love them.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Ryanr317
I know it is advised to change your shocks when using springs like the H&R ones. Do the shocks on the early W203 (Pre MY 04.5) sports models wear just as fast as if it were the non sport suspension with aftermarket springs. Ofcourse the springs are a cheaper option, which is what i'm looking for. College is expensive!! I may save for the cup kit, but not if the stock sport shocks can withstand the aftermarket springs well.
I don't know if the wear would be less or the same on the shocks prior to 2004.5, however, I would just save up to get both at the same time. You'll eventually have to replace the shocks at some point and might as well get that out of the way all at once.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
Originally Posted by Blake P
I have had a slight knocking sound from the front driver side suspension since I got the car (had TEIN's installed the same day), but figured it was a bushing, loose control/thrust arm or something. When I took it in to the dealer to have it checked, they said they wouldn't touch the suspension because I had aftermarket parts. The sound I've heard is a hollow knock when driving on bumpy roads. I never hear anything during regular freeway or surface street driving. Hope it's not a blown shock bottoming out, but since it's been there from day one, I figure that's unlikely.
Blake did u ever get this hollow knocking sound fix? i do hear this same sound when going over bumps or uneven roads but not on flat surfaces.? it sounds like its coming from the front of the car i maybe wrong...
Old 09-29-2006, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
Blake did u ever get this hollow knocking sound fix? i do hear this same sound when going over bumps or uneven roads but not on flat surfaces.? it sounds like its coming from the front of the car i maybe wrong...
I never got mine fixed yet. I'm guessing it's a control/thrust arm bushing that needs to be replaced or a bad sway bar endlink. I'll get it looked at during my next service.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
i recently change my endlinks, sways, swaybushings and thrust arm.

and

these are just picures of the stuff i had change.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
i recently change my endlinks, sways, swaybushings and thrust arm.
Did the noise start happening after you changed these suspension parts? Can you give me an estimate of what those parts cost? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
well i got the parts from frank at santa barbara auto cuz the deal was trying to rip a brother off... the noise started happing after i change the suspension to tein but i tried not to pay it any attention then about 4 months ago i had take the car into the stealership and they told me i need new thrust arm & endlinks, i think the cost with labor was close to $1300.. i was like u guys a freaking crazy so i then called frank @ SBA and i did the install myself. but i still was hearing the nosie but the parts that was removed were busted up.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
well i got the parts from frank at santa barbara auto cuz the deal was trying to rip a brother off... the noise started happing after i change the suspension to tein but i tried not to pay it any attention then about 4 months ago i had take the car into the stealership and they told me i need new thrust arm & endlinks, i think the cost with labor was close to $1300.. i was like u guys a freaking crazy so i then called frank @ SBA and i did the install myself. but i still was hearing the nosie but the parts that was removed were busted up.
How much were the parts from Frank?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
can't really remember was around $200-$300 i think
Old 09-29-2006, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
can't really remember was around $200-$300 i think
That's not bad. I think I'll give Frank a call and see about buying all new endlinks, arms, and bushings.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
so today i went looking under the car to see if i can see where this Hollow knocking sound is coming from everything under the car in the front suspension look fine untill i saw that the thrust arm/control arm the balljoint thing at the end the rubber part around it looked busted o am guessing this is where the knocking sound is coming from see pictures attach.

this is not mines but just a pic to show the thrust arm/control arm ball join rubber part

now these are pictures from my camera phone of the drive side of my car thrust arm/control arm ball joint

look how the black rubber looks

Now these picture are of the passanger side u can tell the difference

now am off to go order some new arms i will let u guys know if this stop the hollow knocking sound.

the thing that causes this to go bad is New York Streets ONLY...... and if u hit some potholes
Old 10-01-2006, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Wow...glad you figured it out, cuz I looked all around and couldn't find anything wrong with my limited knowledge. Then again, I didn't know what to look for! Let me know what parts you end up ordering and I'll have to do the same. I figure I might as well change the arms on both sides while I'm at it.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by drexappeal
PLEASE NOTE: I've been compiling this information over the past year and never got the time to filter it down, correct it etc., but I figured it would be helpful.

Also, this is mainly for “newbies” that want to know what suspension options they have for this car (so that there's no excuse for starting a "new" thread on this topic), as well as a "refresher" for "oldies" that still haven't changed their OEM set up. Just another one of “drexappeal’s helpful hints”.
Since you've been doing the research, do you know who supplied the stock suspension? I heard Sachs does the regular models while Bilstein supplies the shocks for Sport models? What about the springs?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
Thanks for the compliments. Wheel size was not even a question for me since the roads I drive on for work are awful. 18" was the maximum I could go without worrying too much about bending my wheels or blowing out tires. The ride isn't as "comfy" as stock, but I prefer the lower ride height, improved handling, responsive feel with the TEIN's.

For reference, here is a picture of my sedan with TEIN Basic c/o's and the rear wasn't even all the way down.

This is how my car looks with 18" wheels and coilover in the rear adjusted all the way to the hieghtest setting well it still have like to thread remaining on the adjuster thingy

say if i wanted to get more hieght just a little more is it safe to used the OEM spring pad ?? if i cut the spring pad in half or just a few millimeter thick to get more hieght is this safe does anyone know??
Old 10-02-2006, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
This is how my car looks with 18" wheels and coilover in the rear adjusted all the way to the hieghtest setting well it still have like to thread remaining on the adjuster thingy

say if i wanted to get more hieght just a little more is it safe to used the OEM spring pad ?? if i cut the spring pad in half or just a few millimeter thick to get more hieght is this safe does anyone know??
I don't know about that. As I understand, no spring pad is supposed to be used with coilovers, but you could call Darwin at CarLAB to see if it's safe to use one.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by kmchow
Since you've been doing the research, do you know who supplied the stock suspension? I heard Sachs does the regular models while Bilstein supplies the shocks for Sport models? What about the springs?
Good question. I actually don't know. I started this thread back in March of 2005 when I wasn't a moderator. And it was being debated back and forth whether or not the 2005 models had the AMG suspension (but never confirmed yes or no). Most of the aftermarket suspensions were based off the C240 luxury and 320 luxury at that time, so any aftermarket suspension was better than what was on the luxury sedans (for performance).

Then I did the R&D for the 230 SS and Justinius7 did the R&D for the 320 coupe (for TEIN).

Just been editing this thread every now and then (after becoming a moderator).
Old 10-03-2006, 12:25 AM

BMW 135i
Bielstin pss9 cant wait to get those coilovers on my coupe what do you think guys????????????????? anything i should know b4 getting them?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:36 AM
oel

C230 coupe, 335i
Originally Posted by c230 o5
Bielstin pss9 cant wait to get those coilovers on my coupe what do you think guys????????????????? anything i should know b4 getting them?
They are very stiff, which is why I just got H&R COs.
On my pss9's, the front didn't go that low, still had about 1-1.5 finger gap when I adjusted it all the way down.
Handling on the pss9 is night and day difference compared to the H&R.
If you don't mind having a bumpy ride, you'll be very happy with them.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:42 PM

stock 2001 c320 sedan
Decision question on sway bars or coilovers

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide what is the best option for me.

I bought a used 2001 C320 sedan that has the stock suspension on it. I like the ride during normal operations of the car. The only thing I can't stand is the lean ins during sharp turns. Two options I'm considering. Upgrade suspension to either TEIN or H&R coilovers or adding anti-sway bars. I'm not going for looks so lowering the car is not a priority.

What would people recommend to simply take care of the chassis lean? Cost wise, the coilovers are more expensive by roughly double but it's more of a full upgrade. As far as I can tell, my struts and shocks are still good. Any opinion or recommendation would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by C320PO
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide what is the best option for me.

I bought a used 2001 C320 sedan that has the stock suspension on it. I like the ride during normal operations of the car. The only thing I can't stand is the lean ins during sharp turns. Two options I'm considering. Upgrade suspension to either TEIN or H&R coilovers or adding anti-sway bars. I'm not going for looks so lowering the car is not a priority.

What would people recommend to simply take care of the chassis lean? Cost wise, the coilovers are more expensive by roughly double but it's more of a full upgrade. As far as I can tell, my struts and shocks are still good. Any opinion or recommendation would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
TEIN Basic coilovers with H&R sways should do the trick. What's your budget?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:08 PM

stock 2001 c320 sedan
Talking Budgets for suspension

TEIN Basic coilovers with H&R sways should do the trick. What's your budget?

I'm hoping to keep it under 1K. Of course, the lower the better.
I guess the fundamental question would be, are sway bars sufficient to take of the lean in issue? Some people say yes and some say no. Given the car is 5 years old, it may be time for new suspension but I just spend a bundle on the car. My local shops are saying coilovers are definitely the way to go but they have $$ in their minds.

The combo coilover + sways would be near 2k, that more than what I want to spend for now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread