C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
Old 06-29-2015, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

airbag replacement

Old 03-26-2005, 04:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airbag replacement

hey guys,
does anyone know how much it would cost to replace the driver, right side curtain, and the right back side airbags?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:26 AM

C32AMG
Well over a Grand.

For each one.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Almost a Member!

hey guys, i would appreciate some help on this issue, i need to know all i can about the airbag system in the c-calss.
would it work with one or more airbags missing?
what does it take to get the airbags to work after they have been replaced? meaning, would any chips need to be replaced as well or is it a "plug and play" sort of a thing?
any sensors need to be replace?
i know you guys are gonna suggest that i take it to the dealer's and get it all fixed, but i wanna cut costs and sort of get it to work with minimum expenses. i can get some parts for really cheap but i wanna know how to get them to work.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
I think that there will be some sensors that would need to be replaced as well, but I am not too sure. Why not just call the dealership and get a price quote on parts and talk to a SA about the process. Will the dealer even sell airbags to a consumer without them being installed? Have you been driving for 2 months with bad airbags?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
It depends if they went off or not. If they were stolen than you can simply just put in the new ones. If they went off the sensors might need to be replaced, and a chip needs to be reset or replaced.

-edit-
Why would you need to replace the airbags? If they went off because you got into an accident then let insurance pay for it with the rest of the claim.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Almost a Member!

long story with the car; cousin bought it from the states from insurance company, shipped it here (lebanon) and i'm fixing it. and no, i havent been driving it for two months without airbags, i just finished fixing it, only airbags left. and by the way, i dont mind driving without airbags, i've been driving my old MB for years without airbags. thanks for ur input guys
Old 05-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Almost a Member!

you willl need to contact Frank aka clkguy. He will get you the parts cheap, the driver side steering wheel airbag will cost around 750, but if you need the control unit as well it will be another $300. The rest i dont know....i ahve the control unit if you need one.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:36 AM
Almost a Member!

i'm not worried about finding cheap parts, i can get the steering wheel airbag for like $250-300.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Depending on where it was hit to deploy the bags you will need to figure out which sensor's tripped and replace them as well. Each sensor is a one fire deal. They are actually a little ramp with a steel ball on them. When the ball goes over the edge of the ramp it closes the contact at the bottom. There is really more involved than that but it is the simplest way to describe them. Unless they have changes in the last few years at least. Not sure about what is on a new Benz, but on a car with front bags only there were normally three sensors. Two in the front, one on each side, and one in the center of the car either in the center console area or on the firewall. Those systems required one of the two sensors in the front and the center sensor to fire simultaneously to fire the bag off. Now with these side bags and all they of course must have a diferent system but the basic principles still apply. On the Benz I believe there is a center sensor, along with fronts, as well as some sort of Yaw sensor. So much may need to be replaced to get them to function properly again. And I think that center sensor is built into the brain as well and located in the center console armrest area.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Amazing to me

Originally Posted by hassanm
i know you guys are gonna suggest that i take it to the dealer's and get it all fixed, but i wanna cut costs and sort of get it to work with minimum expenses. i can get some parts for really cheap but i wanna know how to get them to work.
It always surprises me when people want to cut costs on life saving equipment. If you want them to work properly, take it to someone who knows - not a forum! - If you don't mind driving around without airbags, then don't worry about it and leave the out, but if you halfa$$ it and then sell the vehicle or let someone borrow it, you could be setting someone else up for an unfortunate event.

Just a different point of view (not centered around money.)
Old 05-27-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C180K
Originally Posted by hassanm
... and by the way, i dont mind driving without airbags, i've been driving my old MB for years without airbags.
If you drive without airbags, how do you take care of the insurance? Its fine if your car doesn't come with airbags, but, if it does, and say if there's an accident and the insurance co finds out that there are no airbags where there are supposed to be, will they pay for any injury claims? I know for sure the insurance people will find any excuse not to pay!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350
hey guys sorry for bringing this thread back up but need advice. i have a 2104. long story short blew 2 airbags on seat instead of replacing the bags i want to get a used seat with the airbags. if i get a compatable seat from a different year will i be ok or should i try and find one from the same year? thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Long as the plugs fit it will work