C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

white markers on the side mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 320 2002
Cool white markers on the side mirrors

is it possible to change the bulb inside the side mirrors markers from amber to super white ?
thanks
Old 12-05-2001, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
From your question, I gather you have not seen the mirrors up close. First, the function of the mirror bulbs is not to be a "marker", like the front and rear side marker lamps on all cars which are on whenever the driving lights are on. Instead, they function as a turn signal "repeater" which indicates to other drivers on the side of you that your turn signal is on. Some other European cars (and a couple of Japanese) have a similar bulb on the front fender.

Anyway, if you look at the MB mirrors, there are 6 lights inside, with a cluster of them toward the front of the mirror. You would have to change all of the bulbs, then you'd have to rig them so they'd be on all the time. That would be a lot of light -- don't know why you'd want to do it.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:21 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Actually, MarkL, I think he's on to something. I'd like to change the LEDs in my mirrors, also... to Red, Amber, Green, Red, Amber, Green. You know, for the Christmas holidays!

Old 12-05-2001, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Actually, MarkL, I think he's on to something. I'd like to change the LEDs in my mirrors, also... to Red, Amber, Green, Red, Amber, Green. You know, for the Christmas holidays!

:p :p
Old 12-05-2001, 09:03 PM

C 320 2002
I want to change the repeater because i want to change all the repeaters in the taillight and in the headlight to be white and it is'n funny if the repeater in the side mirrors are still amber.
btw, the idea of that chistmas light is funny, hahahahaha
Old 12-05-2001, 11:04 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
You didn't have to explain what you intended to do, deschute, we're way ahead of you, and know exactly what's on your mind. While that much is clear, what you propose to do won't be clear to fellow drivers around you.

White lights are for seeing, while amber and red lights are for being seen. Amber means "watch me please, I'm about to bust a move." Red means, "Pay attention to me NOW, I'm stopping." Imagine driving up to an intersection and looking up to the traffic light, only to find white lights in all the lamps.

You can "white out" your car all you want. But it will send mixed safety signals to those around you. There are some soccer moms out there who won't be able to tell whether you're coming or going.

Alas, that's why we have traffic laws that govern the use of red, white and yellow lamps, and that is why people should follow them. Do otherwise at your peril!
Old 12-06-2001, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320
deschute...once u find out how to do it....FILL ME IN...
Old 12-06-2001, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by deschute2000
I want to change the repeater because i want to change all the repeaters in the taillight and in the headlight to be white and it is'n funny if the repeater in the side mirrors are still amber.
btw, the idea of that chistmas light is funny, hahahahaha
I suppose your next move will be to emulate IS-300 style rear lights... then, let me guess.... right!!! blue tinted headlights!!!

While at it, stop for a minute and think: if you get in an accident with these "ricey-cool" white lights instead of what they are supposed to be, you will likely be held reponsible, since they are street illegal.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320
Its funny how people come on here to share information but all that i see is closed minded people dissing another's vision.

My first post ever was about how to change the fogs to amber. But to my surprise, my reply's were all negative and useless...i had a bunch of sarcasm remarks saying that i wanna be a lexus. Whats up with that??? I thought we were suppose to help each other and if you think its wrong to do it, then mention it without sarcasm. Ones who dis are even more childish then the people they claim with fix up cars.

Dont worry Deschute, theres alot of people who agree with what your doing...maybe not the actual modification, but the fact that you are coming up with ideas. Ideas that others my like. Dont let closed minded people stop you. I got your back!
Old 12-06-2001, 05:48 AM

C 320 2002
thanks for the lecture, but your sentence is totally wrong vadim.
No change for the tail lights into the IS 300 style. I can afford an IS-300, not just the tail lights, so why do i need to change a bit. Just buy a whole car. Secondly, I won't tint my headlamp, I already have xenon in my car.
I just need an answer for my question, not a lecture.
For MB BOB, I have no intention to white out my car. I still got the red lamp working i just want to make the side blinkers white. that's all. I need an answer for that.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2001, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
First of all, I thnk we need to address the fact that these are not "bulbs" but LED's. If you plan to change the array, you may be voiding your warranty because that would require soldering in new LED's.

Secondly, you should consider your states laws regarding your turn signals. While some states allow just about anything with wheels to be operated on public roads, others are extremely strict in their enforcement.

Recently, in NJ, they've passed legislation that would allow the state to impound your car if it fails inspection. Additionally, they preceeded that with a law that permits local and state police to stop any vehicle at any time for 'spot check' safety inspections. They generally do this when they see something odd about your marker lights(this also gives the gestapo 'reasonable cause to search' your vehicle and administer roadside DUI tests).

So, in short, while I'd have to recommend against making changes just because they're 'badazzshyt', you can do whatever you want to your car as long as you're prepared to deal with ALL the possible consequences of your decision.

oh, and MB-Bob: thanks for 'layin' down the funk'...lol
Old 12-06-2001, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL450 2010 GL550 2020 Sprinter 4x4
Just this week I was in a large parking lot, following a truck decorated with a lot of "accessories". Suddenly he had stopped and was coming backwards at me, while I am still driving toward him. We almost hit. The dumbass had switched his reverse lights out from white to pale blue. In the daylight I could hardly see them. If people want to decorate their cars, that is their choice, have fun. But, the lighting system is set up for a reason, leave it alone.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:10 AM

C 320 2002
Thanks for all your replies, I really appriciate that.