C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Acura RSX is way better

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.33 average.

Old 06-17-2002, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 coupe 6sp
I actually drove a RSX in a side by side comparison with a c230, and the RSX has a tinny, go-kart feel to it compared to the c230. It may very well be an entertaining car to drive if you live somewhere with perfect, twisty roads, but in day to day driving, it would be a tiresome car to drive. No torque-anywhere, no power until 6000 rpm, rides worse than my Dakota R/T, no center console or armrest, the dash and interior looks like something out of an old Buck Rogers sci-fi movie, and for me at least, it is tiringly loud. Lots of road and wind noise. The car would be great under a very limited set of circumstances, but not to drive on a daily basis. You need to put the cars side by side, look at them, drive them, and then decide. For me, it was an easy decision for the c230. The extra few thousand dollars didn't really matter to me after I drove them both.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:57 PM
Almost a Member!

If you don't give a crap about my opinions, then don't read my post. One of the things I hate most about the internet car forums is that everybody takes everything so seriously. In real life people are a lot more laid back about their opinions on cars. If we met face to face and we had a discussion on "RSX vs. C230" it would most likely be a lot more civil then the ramblings posted here. Instead of stupid comments like "RSX's are for backward hat wearing baggy pant wearing teenagers" you would probably say stuff like the C230 has standard Electronic Stability Program and Automatic Slip Control which aren't even available on the RSX.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by speedfrk
I actually drove a RSX in a side by side comparison with a c230, and the RSX has a tinny, go-kart feel to it compared to the c230. It may very well be an entertaining car to drive if you live somewhere with perfect, twisty roads, but in day to day driving, it would be a tiresome car to drive. No torque-anywhere, no power until 6000 rpm, rides worse than my Dakota R/T, no center console or armrest, the dash and interior looks like something out of an old Buck Rogers sci-fi movie, and for me at least, it is tiringly loud. Lots of road and wind noise. The car would be great under a very limited set of circumstances, but not to drive on a daily basis. You need to put the cars side by side, look at them, drive them, and then decide. For me, it was an easy decision for the c230. The extra few thousand dollars didn't really matter to me after I drove them both.
this says it perfectly. i drove both cars on the same day, as did my friend. both of us felt that the c230 just felt like a german car, while the RSX drove like a boy racer. for that much money, i want something solid. i don't spend every day at the track. furthermore, you can't seriously say the RSX interior is as good as the c230 -- look at all the plastic! it looks like a boy racer, it feels like a boy racer, it must be....

i'm really glad i went with the c230. if i'd chosen the RSX, i would've regretted it 3 years from now.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:24 PM

M3
Originally posted by Zerostatic
By the way an M3 and a Z06 are not as easily compared as a C230 and a RSX. The M3 has a lot more advantages over the Z06 that are not performance orientated (nicer interior, back seats, safer handling in the rain) and besides those cars cost about the same so the all important value factor can't really be used in that comparison.
In Canada, the C230K only costs $1,200US more than an RSX Type-S, so it would seem that cost shouldn't be an issue there either.

The C230K also has a lot of advantages over an RSX.

Trust me, I have driven BOTH back to back. I've driven my GF's C230K to pick up my friend and drive HIM home with HIS RSX Type-S since he had too much to drink.

I can tell you that both are great cars. I would definitely say the RSX Type-S is faster, has a better shifter, sportier interior, gets better gas mileage and more responsive suspension.

On the other hand, I can tell you that the C230K has MUCH more torque, has a smoother ride, is much quieter, has better brakes, a nicer interior (better plastics), and a MUCH roomier back seat.

Plus, I can honestly say that my GF's car has recieved much more "Wow's" and "Holy *****, you bought yourself a BENZ? How can you afford it at your age?". Nobody's asked my friend "How can you afford an RSX Type-S?". Note that the C230K is only a little more expensive than the RSX Type-S, but people automatically assume that the C230K cost much more and that it is much harder to afford.

Another thing to note is that my friend wouldn't buy the C230K, and my GF wouldn't buy an RSX Type-S. The 2 cars appeal to DIFFERENT people and therefore value is given to different things.

Furthermore, you may think your 1997 Acura 3.0 CL is the Bomb *****, but my GF thinks it's an ugly "Fish Car" (as she has come to call it) with it's pointy tail. She thinks it's one of the ugliest Acura's ever made. I think you would have been better off buying the RSX like you had planned. But then again, that's just MY opinion.

If you think I'm full of *****, you can ask FunkyRSX on ClubRSX whether I'm bull****ting or not.

Last edited by KJ-TypeR; 06-17-2002 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:43 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
The RSX's interior looks cheap and empty whereas the C230's interior wraps around the driver giving you a ****pit feel.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:48 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
Re: Acura RSX is way better

I'm not trying to troll here, I'm just a car fan and I just couldn't believe some of the statements being said about the RSX type S when compared to the C230.
talk about a flame... I admit not having read anything past the first post, but as the resident bimmerphile on board, I have to whole heartedly disagree with Mr. zerostatic.

I've driven both, MANY TIMES, and while the RSX will crush a C230 on the racetrack, (although not without a tire-swap on the RSX) it is far and away an inferior car to the benz. I used to own an integra (so did the wife) and I will tell you that as a daily driven vehicle, neither one holds a candle to the german. speed and performance is not everything (oh god, did I just say that... you guys are turning me!). the MB is simply a more sophisticated, relaxed, refined automobile.

further, these cars are NOT marketed at the same people. the MB is aimed at people about 5-10 years older and with about double the income of the RSX.

Having owned a german automobile (gonna be 2 in the near future )and being in direct contact with multiple benzes, there is an appreciation for the finer things involved with the ownership of these cars. The acura possesses none of that... what good is the stereo if you can't hear it, what good is all that power with no grip, lets talk about social impression... which one will get you a job? THE BENZ. (sad social commentary... but true)

The acura is a fine car and I recommend it highly to the qualified buyer, but it is not for everyone and the people here have a healthy dollop of a thing called "class" that the acura lacks in spades.

to all you benzophiles, I hope you forgive my former (and future) indiscretions re: choice in automobiles... BUT you will be happy to know that my father-in-law is trading his acura TL for an E430 sport.... and I encouraged it heartily without mentioning the E39 5er!
Old 06-17-2002, 02:49 PM
Almost a Member!

KJ-typeR, I don't think it was neccessary that you take this personal and start dissing my ride out of nowhere. I didn't diss anybody's specific C230. I made a comparison with the RSX. I didn't single someone out and made jokes about their car. No, I don't think my CL is "da bomb ****." I was saving up for either an RSX, or a Jetta 1.8T but my parents suprised me with a 97 CL 3.0. I'm not some spoiled brat so I gave my parents the money I was saving for the downpayment. I'm sorry that you and your girlfriend think so lowly of my car, why don't you buy me something better?
Old 06-17-2002, 02:53 PM

but my parents suprised me with a 97 CL 3.0.
methinks the slowmotion feeling of the CL is warping your judgement

(damn those things are slow!)
Old 06-17-2002, 03:23 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Well, I would have to say that zerostatic definately got the best deal. Free is a really good price, and it lets you save up for whatever car you really want. When you do decide to get a different car, just make sure you do the side by side comparison so you can make a good choice, and get what you really want. I think most (definately not all) people would choose the c230 over the RSX if they did the side by side comparison. The magazines are skewed towards performance and test on tracks, and perfectly mapped out trips, but I don't know anyone that actually gets to drive day to day like that. I would probably take the RSX if I lived in Asheville, NC and drove the Blue Ridge Pkwy to work everyday. But I live in Atlanta, and drive on I-75,85,and 285 most of the time, so the Acura would be way down the list for me. Plus, being 40+ years old, quiet and comfort are more important to me than when I was in college and drove a Triumph GT-6 with no muffler because it sounded so good
Old 06-17-2002, 04:11 PM

C32 AMG
Re: Re: Acura RSX is way better

Originally posted by dasMafia
further, these cars are NOT marketed at the same people. the MB is aimed at people about 5-10 years older and with about double the income of the RSX.
... I think the coup is marketed toward the same people as the RSX. Similar car type and similar pricing strategy. MB is trying to get into a market where it had minimal market share. Just an observation.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Re: Re: Re: Acura RSX is way better

Originally posted by Boo2

... I think the coup is marketed toward the same people as the RSX. Similar car type and similar pricing strategy. MB is trying to get into a market where it had minimal market share. Just an observation.
i doubt this. the RSX is aimed for the same people who bought integras... it's a bit more refined but they tried to keep the "integra spirit" as much as possible. even the dealers tell you this.

the c230k is aimed for those people who just got out of college, have started their careers and are looking to buy into the benz brand early. i fit this image to a tee, and my dealer is actually doing an article on me and my situation in their latest newsletter because of this.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:23 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
I think the average age of c230 owners is significantly higher than the "just out of college" group. It is still a pretty expensive (at least here in the US) car for most right out of college folks. Maybe an age range poll is in order?
Old 06-17-2002, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Maybe an age range poll is in order?
My guess is that this poll might not be an entirely accurate estimate of average C230K driver age. Seeing as how the demographics of people who hang out on internet car forums is probably younger than the average population on the whole.

Cheers, BT
Old 06-17-2002, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

C230/ B. Silver/Leather
Before I bought my Benz, I tried out the RSX and the Celica. Both of those cars had some good points but I bought the Benz because it had a much high quality interior, more storage capacity, more safety features, and felt more solid.

My wife was not so sure about spending the extra $5K until she got in it and we took the Benz for a test drive. She agreed on the Benz within 500 yards. It is such a nice car to drive. I have no regrets. BTW my wife has a 99 TL and loves it.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Why does this post exist? I thought the whole point of having to sign up for boards like this was to do away with the trolls who run rampant in the public newsgroups stirring up ****! This board is for MB enthusiasts. Moderators, please cancel this ****-stirring fool's subscription! Otherwise, Zerostatic, go away. We DON'T CARE about your opinion
Old 06-17-2002, 05:09 PM
QC1

C230 Coupe
The first post seems to be Vintage Acura & Honda Lover Pose. All the care about is the 0-60, nothing else. Sure maybe the A-crapa RSX is faster, but the C230 in my opinion cant be compared to the RSX. All I have to say is, MERCEDES vs ACURA, hhmmm let me think about that.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:11 PM

I think the average age of c230 owners is significantly higher than the "just out of college" group. It is still a pretty expensive (at least here in the US) car for most right out of college folks. Maybe an age range poll is in order?
actually, for a lot of single b-school grads making 40-45K a year in a reasonable cost-of-living locale, the C230 is a sweet fit (especially before MB artificially lowered the residual to jack the lease payments). most of those people pay MAYBE $800/mo in rent, $500 in beer and liquor, $500 on clothes, couple hundred on food, couple more on cable/internet/utilities, and that leaves a hefty stash for a CAR... also, every time you see someone under 30 driving C230, you are looking at the target market. some people have to get their $$$ under control before they can swing a nice ride. this lengthens the post-graduate nomenclature a few years.

generally speaking, they want YOUNG PROFESSIONALS... that is what they are looking for. we will also see a lot of young-money teen-age girls driving them, so in 3-4 years, you will see a lot of them outside sororities.

the RSX is really out there for "monied" high-school boys and males working and making their own car payments... not so much the college-educated crowd as you would typically think of them.

the MB simply costs more to own (don't kid yourself folks), which pushes it into a different demographic segment. (thankfully)
Old 06-17-2002, 06:43 PM

C230K
I owned 98 Acura CL 3.0 and I loved it. So i have no hard feelings about Acuras. I considered both C230K and RSX-S as my new car (also considered is300, 325Ci, A41.8T, CL-S) And what kept me away from rsx-s was that every neighbour and their mom drives one. I liked how acura packed all these features in $32k cdn with reasonable performance, but it's just plain ugly and bland. And my C230K is a $40k cdn car, where I could've easily bought a rsx-s with still lots of money to spend. But I didn't. Does this make all of us C230k owner stupid according to how you state a 'better car'? We get something RSX owners doesn' get, yes PRESTIGE.

Oh and one fact. CL 3.0 is just as fast (or as slow) as C230k even tho it's an automatic.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
LOL! So much writing about a acura or should I say honda. Ahahaha. In the end they drive a honda and I drive a MB.

Hey ask the other Honda/Acura owners what they think about the RSX. Aahahahah ever wonder why there is so much hate towards RSX owners from integra owners? LOL!
Old 06-17-2002, 07:01 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
C230 Coupe vs. Celica GTS

If both are stock with no performance mods, who would win in a race?
Old 06-17-2002, 08:00 PM

C230 C-Coupe
26, 100k + bracket.

If not for the list I would never have known of the Acura. I would not have differentiated between it or another Japanese car.

For me I want a quality car which I can cherish for many years. Saves money in the long term rather than buying another car in a years time, when it becomes out of date. I got rid of a one year old Ford and had no intention of buying another disposable car.

Take a cross sample of 10 year old European cars to Japanese cars and what will you get?

When buying a car many factors are taken in to consideration and for most people value is longer term. Even in the short term the C230 Coupe was unrivaled for value for money.

At a push an Acura could compare to a GTi or Beetle Turbo but not a Mercedes?

If your wallet decides your aesthetics, are you getting a better deal? If I go to the outlet stores and for $100 dollars want to buy as many things as I can get, then my wife goes to San Francisco and only buys what she wants, but it cost $120 dollars, who got the better deal?

Nathan

Last edited by nboyd; 06-17-2002 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:49 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon

If we met face to face and we had a discussion on "RSX vs. C230" it would most likely be a lot more civil then the ramblings posted here
You're making a good point here while at the same time contradicting your original post: In a face-to-face, you wouldn't come off like you did in the first place; read your first post again, then think about it...
I'd admire and compliment your RSX and say I like it a lot (which is sincere), and you'd give the Benz kudos. With the above approach I'd have simply told you "whatever floats your boat, kid - if I liked the RSX better I'da bought one." No one made me choose the Benz.
Frankly, I can't believe people keep throwing the two cars into the same comparison bin?!? I'd compare a VW GTI and an RSX, but never a GTI and a C230K. Or an Audi A4 and a Honda Accord, for that matter. Pass the joint...
Old 06-17-2002, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Allstatic

Ah yes, the Acura/Honda RSX.

It's a good car, but is far too coarse, noisy and unrefined for everyday use if you're over the noise maker stage of life. It's not as safe either. It's cramped inside - I can't fit in the driver's seat without impaling the roof with my head. The rear seating area might fit smallish kids. Not so in the C 230 K. Also, you don't have to wind the ***** off the engine to make the C 230 K go somewhere. These VTEC engines require a caffeine-addled brain to enjoy driving them, which is great if you enjoy a stressful, frenetic lifestyle.

Overall, these cars are nearly diametric opposites in practical terms, though a superficial analysis and a quick comparison of the body shapes may seem to indicate otherwise.

If you want the Honda, fill your boots. It's no skin off my fesses.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Re: C230 Coupe vs. Celica GTS

Originally posted by Big Sheesh
If both are stock with no performance mods, who would win in a race?
i dont know why this was mentioned in this thread but i will answer it for u.

the celica Gts. 6 speed will kill the c230k

my friend has a celica gts and ran a 15.0 flat stock and now he just has a cold air intake and ran a 14.8 the other day.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:45 PM

C250 Coupe 2012
Think we are wasting our post, on some one who is pissing in the wind, about a car, we really could care less about. If he had the car, then maybe his two cents would be worth it, he can not afford either one, so he waste his time going to fourms and playing make believe. Go pick on the BMW or Porsche's, or go back to driving your dreams.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.33 average.

Quick Reply: Acura RSX is way better