C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Acura RSX is way better

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.33 average.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura RSX is way better

I'm not trying to troll here, I'm just a car fan and I just couldn't believe some of the statements being said about the RSX type S when compared to the C230. Bottomline the Acura RSX type S is the better car. There are no if's and's or but's about that. It's almost a fact. You guys can make any responses you want, and I'll try and counter. By the way I don't own an RSX type S.
You guys trying to use quality as a pro for your cars obviously haven't been in the ****pit of the RSX. It's downright beautiful, and is probably the best interior of any car out right now that cost under 40 g's. The steering wheel is great, and tell me those recaro seats aren't awesome.
It's manual transmission belongs in exotic super cars. When I drove it it felt like I was slicing butter with a sharp knife or something. It is very precises.
It's faster. I don't think I have to elaborate on that, you guys must already know that it is faster then the merc.
Long term reliability must again go to the Acura considering it's high rankings in long term reliability polls.
It get's better gas mileage.
A lot of you guys act like your warrenty is way better but the basic warrenty coverage and the powertrain are covered by the same 4 years/50,000 miles. In fact on body corrosion the RSX is covered forever and teh merc is only covered for 50,000 miles.
Looks wise, I will have to say The Benz, even though the C230 isn't beautiful at least it looks distinctive. The RSX is a bit bland. But that can be corrected with the OEM bodykit which is dealer installed option.
Another advantage the benz has is that it's rear wheel drive. Rear wheel drive is a neccesity when it comes to sports cars. But these aren't sports cars, they're sporty cars, so it's not a huge disadvantage on the RSX's side.
Another thing you guys seem to really like is your panorama sunroof. I guess that's another advantage for the C230.
Value-wise is where the RSX really makes a killing It comes optioned out with all the goodies (in dash Bose 6 CD player, moonroof, leather recaro seats) for under 24,000 g's.
The main thing the C230 has going for it is that it's a mercedes. Which I'll admit is worth a lot. If I was still in highschool I'd go with the benz, because everyone was concerned with image in highschool. But now, I can't understand how grown people will spend more money for a lesser product just because of the brand.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:58 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Re: Acura RSX is way better

Originally posted by Zerostatic
I'm not trying to troll here
Yeah right...

In fact on body corrosion the RSX is covered forever and teh merc is only covered for 50,000 miles.

Plain false. My W203 came with a 30 year corrosion warranty...

But now, I can't understand how grown people will spend more money for a lesser product just because of the brand.
And I just can't understand those envious non-MB owners clogging our forum with useless comments.

This is, as you maybe have seen, a MB forum. This means that most of the users here are MB-owners and MB-enthusiasts. Kinda pointless in trying to gain acceptance for your comments from this kind of people.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Actually, if I were still in highschool, I'd go with the RSX. Attempt to get into the rear seat, or load more than a couple of grocery bags into the rear "cargo" area of the RSX and tell me which car is more grown up. There's just not as much space, period. Also, interior colors are pre-ordained with the RSX, which is a little confining.

The C230 is a more well-rounded car; I will grant you that the RSX is sportier. I think that most here would do that. So what? Not everyone needs or wants the fastest car out there. If that's the case, get a WRX, which will kill either car.

As Buellwinkle would tell you, free car washes, sch. maintenance, and loaners, while not saving you thousands, are great freebies.

Why not go to club RSX? You can do a circlejer* with them over there. No real reason to post here how much in love you are with the car.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:03 AM

Different strokes for different folks. Maybe if we ignore him he will go away. Sounds like a troll to me.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
well...

I have killed a few RSXs... I have lost too...

but after all, I get to go home with a Benz...
Old 06-17-2002, 10:21 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Acura RSX is way better

Looks wise... the RSX is a bit bland. But that can be corrected with the OEM bodykit which is dealer installed option.
Already I see 5 RSXs for every C-Coupe. You would need an OEM bodykit to have a unique RSX, while the Coupe is unique without mods, simply by its scarcity.

It comes optioned out with all the goodies (in dash Bose 6 CD player, moonroof, leather recaro seats) for under 24,000 g's.
...Isn't $24 million a little steep for an Acura? (24,000 x 1,000)

BTW, I was passed this morning by a 60-something dude in a new RSX.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Re: well...

Originally posted by Scylas
I have killed a few RSX-S
Hey, Me too!!!
i too do like the RSX but to say its the best looking car under $40K yeah, OK, Sure pal?

Oh by the way, are you related to the treasure trolls? I like those kind of trolls better!
Old 06-17-2002, 10:31 AM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
Thumbs down No soul..........

All the reasons offered for the Acura RSX to be better are valid. On paper it would appear to be a better car than the Mercedes. In fact, on paper most Japanese cars appear to be very good (maybe that's why they sell so many of them). However, they all suffer from the same problem. They have no soul of their own. Rather they are attempts to duplicate another marques formula for success. Just my opinion.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
(sets FLAMEthrower at 11...thats right 11)

The Acura RSXs is nothing more than a souped up Honda Civic. By all rights, the RSXs may be faster off the line than my touring coupe...but I'd bet it doesn't hold 80 on the highway as smoothly. My manual trans is smooth as silk, much more so than my uncle's Aston Martin Virage, so I don't know where his "belongs in and exotic" reference comes from. I'd also bet that with an engine as tweaked as Honda have made the RSX, if driven hard, it wont last beyond it's warranty without MAJOR repairs.

That said, I have no axe to grind with Honda. They make good inexpensive cars. Personal choice is as it states, but at the end of the day.....

I drive a Mercedes Benz.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:36 AM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
Question MGB

Rick - what years are your MGB's? I have a 1968 Roadster myself - love it!
Old 06-17-2002, 10:48 AM

2002 Paprika C230K/C7/C4/C2/6spd/Chip(?)
Yeah, you nkow, come to think of it the RSX is a better car. I would have picked that over the C230K... IF I was baggy pants wearing, backwards hat wearing, Fast and Furious 2 wannabe. That's all I see driving the RSX, at least in my area. If I wanted to look like everyonw else, then I would have picked an RSX. I used to read the RSX boards, and every time I read about some Speed Racer wannabe blowing their engine because they were racing and couldn't shift right, it brought a smile to my face. I always wondered if it was any of the punks in my area that it happened to. Wishful thinking, I suppose. Later clown, I mean CLONE.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:26 AM

2002 C230, 1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Yeah, the RSX is a cute little car. They also look like all of the other cute little cars on the market that people say, "what brand of car is that anyway?" I like the idea that what I have is distinctive. I'm not knocking the Acura, it's OK, but the key word here is......"cute". Who really wants to be associated with that??
Old 06-17-2002, 11:33 AM

M3
ZeroStatic: My best friend owns a Blue RSX Type-S, and his GF a Silver RSX Premium.

My GF owns a Black C230K. And although she COULD have bought an RSX Type-S and had some money left over for clothes, handbags, shoes etc., she decided on the C230K because she enjoys the prestige and looks she gets when driving it.

Just because a car is faster, doesn't make it better.

The RSX/Integra is just an Acura, a Benz is a Benz. I used to drive an 1998 Acura Integra Type-R with a Drag Gen III Turbo Kit making over 280hp at the WHEELS (12.8 sec in the 1/4 mile), so I'm no stranger to Acura's, and to aftermarket performance.

I hate to burst your bubble, but to many adults, an RSX doesn't mean *****. I'm 23, so I still think they are cool, look nice etc. In fact, my friends getting a $4000 Ing's body kit from Japan for his RSX that definitely looks sweet.

You have your own individual preferences, which obviously doesn't include prestige.

A Timex tells great time, has a stop watch, countdown timer, calender, GPS etc. etc., while my Rolex tells me the day of the month and the time. I paid $5000 for my Rolex, whereas a Timex could be had for $100 with WAY MORE FEATURES. Does that mean my Rolex sucks and the Timex is better? Maybe in your eyes, but not in EVERYONE's eyes.

When you grow up a bit, maybe you'll see that there's more to life than "Value", some people are willing to pay a premium for prestige and the feeling of having something a little more "rare".

BTW, I will be taking delivery of a 2002 BMW M3 within the next month. People are always pulling this same BS comparing the Corvette Z06 and the M3. The Z06 whips the M3 in most performance categories, but like I said earlier, they appeal to different people. It seems every car has it's competitor that people like to compare it to. Z06 vs. M3, RSX-S vs. C230K. blah blah.

FYI, my Turbo Integra Type-R was FASTER than my new M3 will be, but I picked the M3. According to your logic, I must be nuts.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by KJ-TypeR
When you grow up a bit, maybe you'll see that there's more to life than "Value", some people are willing to pay a premium for prestige and the feeling of having something a little more "rare".
or, maybe he'll realize that value is completely subjective. right now i value diamonds over water, but if i were starved in a desert, i'd definitely value water over diamonds. it's ludicrous to judge one person's value if it does not agree with your own -- they almost never will.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Originally posted by KJ-TypeR

I used to drive an 1998 Acura Integra Type-R with a Drag Gen III Turbo Kit making over 280hp at the WHEELS (12.8 sec in the 1/4 mile.

I had a 1999 Lingenfelter supercharged Z28 with around 480 at wheels(11.14 in the 1/4), according to his logic KJ-TypeR must have lost our freakin minds. Speed isnt everything folks. If it were, I would have never bought the coupe

KJ-TypeR I totally agree with you about the M3 vs Z06. I would much rather have the M3. So there not as fast and don't handle as well as a Z06, Big DEAL! I would want the M3 cause for 1 its rare and 2, its just a beautiful car. 3, theres always ways to make the car faster. What color you gettin? Post pics too.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Bottomline the Acura RSX type S is the better car. There are no if's and's or but's about that. It's almost a fact.
Almost a fact? It sounds more like an opinion to me.

Did you drive the Benz?

Anyway, you're welcome to have an opinion. Here's mine:

Brand image is meaningless to me. The only person I have to impress is myself. I don't lease cars and I plan to own them between 5 -10 years. One of the things I consider before making a pruchase is how I'll feel about the car after a few years. Will the styling be outdated? Was it just a passing fad? Will the car look it's age? Will there be any enthusiasm left? Will it lose it's "spark"? Will I outgrow the relationship?

When deciding between the RSX and the C230K, I came to the conclusion that the RSX will only be fun on the first date. The C230K is a car that I can marry. I flung the RSX around town and on the highway and I had an enormous smile after the test drive, but I couldn't see myself loving it after a few years. The syling will blend in with rental cars, the lack of interior amenities (see below) will prove frustrating, 8000 RPM will become stressful.

C230K interior amenities: One touch open AND close on BOTH windows, memory seats and steering wheel, 2 compartment armrest, height adjustable arm rest, climate controlled armrest, Multi-function display, rain sensing wipers, rest mode on HVAC, speed sensitive volume (I actually LIKE it), plenty of storage, easy access to rear seat, sunroof for rear seat, rear seat legroom is same as sedan, dimming/heated mirrors, homelink on mirror, side airbags, childseat latch things on rear seats.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't even imagine looking at any Acura, you don't get free car washes! Also if I was going to go rice I would get the Subie WRX, way better than the RSX in every possible way.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by avlis
When deciding between the RSX and the C230K, I came to the conclusion that the RSX will only be fun on the first date. The C230K is a car that I can marry.
And here I thought that it was Vermont with the liberal marriage laws.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:11 PM

M3
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
KJ-TypeR I totally agree with you about the M3 vs Z06. I would much rather have the M3. So there not as fast and don't handle as well as a Z06, Big DEAL! I would want the M3 cause for 1 its rare and 2, its just a beautiful car. 3, theres always ways to make the car faster. What color you gettin? Post pics too.
Yup, the Z06 is faster, and handles better at a lower price.

But I still choose the M3 because I can't see myself driving a Corvette around. It's just not my "style".

I will definitely post pics when I get it. I'll take a picture of my GF's C230K and my new M3 side by side. I got a new digital camera recently, so I can now take pictures and post them up!

Your Lingenfelter SC'd Z28 sounds like it was a beast! It would be the kind of car I thought I would be able to "Suprise" in my Turbo Type-R just to get my *** handed to me and wonder if something was wrong with my car. Hahaha.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:27 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
There has been so much talk on this forum about the Subaru WRX as some sort of comparison with a Mercedes Benz.

IMO, it's nice to have a car with alot of punch for the few occassions when you need it. However, the OCCASSIONAL use of power doesn't compare with the EVERYDAY realization that when you get out, step a few feet away, then turn to watch the car beep as you remotely lock it, that you are staring at an incredibly UGLY car... every time.

You can put a killer motor and tranny in an ugly car, but at the end of the day, it's still a porker to look at.

At least the RSX is not an EYESORE like the WRX... Again, IMO...

Also, I'd choose a Z06 over an M3 any day of the week...
Old 06-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Like I said before, I was not trolling. Trolling is when you post a message like "C230 Sucks, RSX Rocks!!". I listed the reasons for my opinions. By the way, the reason I came to this forum is because there are some Mercedes cars that I actually like Like the AMG SLK 32. I was just checking out the different forums and felt a need to express my opinions. Like I said before, I don't own an Acura RSX, and I don't plan to either. I just feel it's a superior car when compared to the benz when cost is taken into account. By the way an M3 and a Z06 are not as easily compared as a C230 and a RSX. The M3 has a lot more advantages over the Z06 that are not performance orientated (nicer interior, back seats, safer handling in the rain) and besides those cars cost about the same so the all important value factor can't really be used in that comparison.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its ashame that this guy doesnt even own either of these cars but is making comments on them. I guess he is a brand new Acura car salesman and couldnt get any deal closed because ppl keep telling him that they've chosen the C-coupe over the RSX!!
I agree with everyone's comments in here (other than this "zerostatic" guy).
I guess we dont really have to be so specific and compare a RS-X with a C230. The biggest difference between a Japanese car and a European car is the "feel". When you're driving an European car, YOU are controlling the car, things are more predictable. You have a very solid feeling. On the other hand, when you're driving a Japanese car, it seems like the CAR is driving you, everything feels so light. Japanese cars have their market and some manufacturers make great cars, but so far none of them can make cars that feel as solid as European cars, I can see they are getting there, but not in the near future though!

Last edited by Harris; 06-17-2002 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Like I said before, I was not trolling. Trolling is when you post a message like "C230 Sucks, RSX Rocks!!". I listed the reasons for my opinions. By the way, the reason I came to this forum is because there are some Mercedes cars that I actually like Like the AMG SLK 32. I was just checking out the different forums and felt a need to express my opinions. Like I said before, I don't own an Acura RSX, and I don't plan to either. I just feel it's a superior car when compared to the benz when cost is taken into account. By the way an M3 and a Z06 are not as easily compared as a C230 and a RSX. The M3 has a lot more advantages over the Z06 that are not performance orientated (nicer interior, back seats, safer handling in the rain) and besides those cars cost about the same so the all important value factor can't really be used in that comparison.
Why did you post it then? I can say with all sincerity that I could give a crap about your opinions, and I don't see anything enlightening or useful about your two messages. I didn't know that people had a "need to express" opinions on a forum when they're not really contributing anything - I'd suggest a trained professional to help you with this.

BTW: why is it ok to discuss interior room then on the Z06 vs. M3 comparo and not the C230 to RSX? You don't even make sense on the subject that you're supposed to be addressing.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:05 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Can't we just all agree on ignoring this kind of threads from now on? They are never constructive in any way, and tend to get far to many replies.... I'm out of here.....
Old 06-17-2002, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Harris
The biggest difference between a Japanese car and a European car is the "feel". When you're driving an European car, YOU are controlling the car, things are more predictable. You have a very solid feeling. On the other hand, when you're driving a Japanese car, it seems like the CAR is driving you, everything feels so light.
Well said, Harris. I love the solid feeling of my Merc. I have an Integra as well, after driving the MB it always feels super-light (which is unsurprising, considering it weighs 800 lbs less). Even so, I feel more encapsulated and part of the MB when I'm driving it - while I feel like I'm riding on top of the Acura, af if it was a bike or a go-kart.

Cheers, BT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.33 average.

Quick Reply: Acura RSX is way better