C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I need help from the stereo experts!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 coupe 6sp
I need help from the stereo experts!

I want to install a 2nd head unit in the space under the factory unit. Basically just for playing cd's and mp3's. It looks like it is big enough, but I want to make sure I get it installed right. Since the factory unit is staying in for when I just want to listen to the radio, I want to tap into the speaker and power wires that are going into the stock unit. As long as I only have one unit on, it should be OK, right? It is a non-bose car so there is no amp to worry about.
Also, has anyone else put a second head unit in that space, and if so are there any tricks to getting it to look good- ie, flush nice looking? I'm pretty good with a dremel, so I'm not afraid to do some cutting and trimming, but I also don't like re-inventing the wheel if I don't need to.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:29 AM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
in all honesty, i think you are going to spend too much time for very little gain. if you want to play cd's, you should really just get the audio 10 head unit. it is a plug and play deal, and retains that all important factory look. i hear that it even helps the sound. i can't imagine how much from looking at the stock speakers though, but anything is possible and it does come from a reliable source. (buellwinkle)
if you want to keep the ability to play cassetes(and i don't know why you would) you should opt for the changer. it isn't cheap, but neither is the work required to make a second head unit work.
if you are still bound and determined to install a second unit, then you will need to cut and splice into the factory wiring harness. (not something i would want to do) the speakers are 4ohm, so they will be compatatible with most aftermarket head units.

as for physically installing the deck i have no idea how this is going to work. i personally ordered a kit from Metra it was 50.00 and looks similar to the factory mount with the exception that it holds a single din head unit and has a smaller pocket under. the kit is very nice (for metra) but isn't nearly as classy as the factory unit. i went over keeping my stock unit or the audio 10 many times, but in the end i sacrificed the looks to gain the performance. i already had the equipment, and didn't want to deal with the expense of having someone interface with the factory system. and in the end it still wouldn't have been as good as just using my head unit.

i hope this was of some help,
Old 06-20-2002, 01:43 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
The unit I have also plays mp3's on discs, so that is a big plus for me. Basically makes cd changers obsolete, if you have ripped your mp3's at a high enough bit rate. Plus this unit is rated at 40w/ch which should be enough me. I don't really listen at loud volume levels, but I like nice clear sound which the stock unit doesn't have. But I definately appreciate suggestions and opinions. The biggest problem appears to be how to get the unit to sit flush against the curved faceplate. Is there any problem with taking the stock unit out in terms of theft codes, etc?
Old 06-20-2002, 08:35 AM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
if you already have a good headunit, then just use that. if your unit has a remote control then you can interface it into your steering wheel controls. the unit is like 100.00 and uses yor stereo's infrared. i don't recall the brand, but will be at my stereo shop in the next day or two to pick up my adapter to plug in my head unit. then you will need an antanea adapter 15.00, the power adapter for 25.00 and the mounting kit for 50.00. it will look better than trying to dremel out the pocket.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
would you like fries with that radio!

You can't tie the speaker outputs of both units together to drive the same speakers! It will act as a short due to the low output impedence of the second radio's amp at the very least. At worst it will fry the output of the radio that is off. You'll need a physical switch for the speakers between the two units. Just get an Audio10 and save the pain.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:51 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Thanks for the help! I really don't want to burn anything up!
Clint, If you could let me know about the remote/steering wheel controls thing, I would appreciate it. Also if you know the name of the company that makes all the kits/adapters, it will help since the local stereo shop here gives you a blank stare when you mention Mercedes.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:38 PM

2001 Silver C320
Re: would you like fries with that radio!

Originally posted by mdp c230k
You can't tie the speaker outputs of both units together to drive the same speakers! It will act as a short due to the low output impedence of the second radio's amp at the very least. At worst it will fry the output of the radio that is off. You'll need a physical switch for the speakers between the two units. Just get an Audio10 and save the pain.
There is a way. Use an FM modulater to get the sound to come through a station like 88.7 on your factory unit. Then you still have the steering wheel controls and the hud computer working fine.

This is a benz you are putting a system in, so dont skimp on anything. Get the best there is, and if you can't afford it, save up till you can. Its not worth putting a jankie single CD player in. If your gonna do it, do it proper. Get the Kenwood, Alpine, or Clarion flipscreen and put a PS2 or DVD in it. Its not that much more difficult and then you'll have something real hot. I'm in the process of freaking mine out. I'll post some good pics when its done.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:41 PM

2002 c230k
E_Corleone,
He wants a better sounding unit w/ more power so the modulator won't help.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:47 PM

2001 Silver C320
Originally posted by mdp c230k
E_Corleone,
He wants a better sounding unit w/ more power so the modulator won't help.
In the very first sentence he says he only needs the unit for CDS and mps. An FM modulater is a great way to achieve this. I agree it won't sound great, but it will sound good enough.

If its more power he is looking for, than he does need to replace the original factory unit. Get something rated at least 50x4 and a nice amp and that will put out better sound from the factory speakers. If it still doesn't sound up to par, then replace the factory speakers. In my opinion, this is too much effort. Just go with the Bose upgrade and do a tight flipscreen with entertainment system. Everyone and their brother has a decent head unit and a sub, very few people have actual nice entertainment systems. Think about it.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:58 PM

2002 c230k
Originally posted by E_Corleone

In the very first sentence he says he only needs the unit for CDS and mps. An FM modulater is a great way to achieve this. I agree it won't sound great, but it will sound good enough.

If its more power he is looking for, than he does need to replace the original factory unit. Get something rated at least 50x4 and a nice amp and that will put out better sound from the factory speakers. If it still doesn't sound up to par, then replace the factory speakers. In my opinion, this is too much effort. Just go with the Bose upgrade and do a tight flipscreen with entertainment system. Everyone and their brother has a decent head unit and a sub, very few people have actual nice entertainment systems. Think about it.
NO, he said he wanted a 2ND head unit in the very first sentence and to share the wiring for both in the rest of his post.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:47 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Heck, I don't use the steering wheel controls anyway, so I will just get the install kit and use the new head unit. It has a remote, so that is about as good as the wheel controls. Does Metra sell everything I need to do this install?
Old 06-21-2002, 01:22 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Who makes the power adapter for this car that Clint was referring to? I ordered the Metra dash kit, but they said they don't have any wiring harness adapters.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:35 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
i am surprised that metra said they don't make a wiring harness. i ordered one from them through my stereo shop. it is on backorder, but should ship on monday. i believe it is a pretty standard piece used in several other european cars.