C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Cup Holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C 230K
Cup Holder

I have probably used the cup holder maybe 4 times in 6 months and it's broken already. It doesn't shut, and I don't want to force it. Thankfully (?) I am bringing the car in tomorrow for the recurring right-drift problem and the lines in my HuberOptik tint, so they can check it out then. It would be annoying if I had to bring it in just for that, but you would have to because when it's open it's totally in the way. Has anyone else have this happen?
Old 06-23-2002, 06:49 PM

2001 C240 6spd
The cup holder was broken before I got the car - seem like it is a common problem. However, I have not had a problem since. The cup holder seems to get stuck in the open position. They replaced it before I took delivery. I try not to use it that much..it sort of gets in the way - especially with the manual transmission.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:00 PM
Almost a Member!

C240
You might have the same problem as I did...Solution here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9983&highlight=cup+hold er
Old 06-24-2002, 05:34 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the MB cupholder is the result of over engineering...the engineer want to make it fancy but in the end it turns out crappy...
Old 06-24-2002, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cup holder is a result of Americans' stupid obsession with doing anything other than actually driving while herding our cars down the road.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:19 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by Lynn
The cup holder is a result of Americans' stupid obsession with doing anything other than actually driving while herding our cars down the road.
And you know what? This obsession has started to spread in Europe too!
Old 06-24-2002, 07:51 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by DtS

And you know what? This obsession has started to spread in Europe too!

lol...back in 1986 there were no cup holder in my dad's euro spec 300 SEL. those stupid cupholder in most Euro cars today don't even fit those cups from fastfood place. why bother to have them? is still a big mistery
Old 06-24-2002, 09:21 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by FrankW

lol...back in 1986 there were no cup holder in my dad's euro spec 300 SEL. those stupid cupholder in most Euro cars today don't even fit those cups from fastfood place. why bother to have them? is still a big mistery
Why?? Because they are kinda exotic of course!
Old 06-25-2002, 12:30 AM

2001 C240
haha...

maybe MBZ USA feels MB drivers don't go to 7-11 to get big gulps?!?!?
Old 06-25-2002, 01:13 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Re: haha...

Originally posted by spindrome

maybe MBZ USA feels MB drivers don't go to 7-11 to get big gulps?!?!?
good thing someone invented that beer hat thingy...lol...
Old 06-25-2002, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I'm taking mine out.....personally, I find it a hinderance and have never used it for anything. Girlfriend loves to play with it, but I might get rid of her too(long story, dont ask).
Anyone wanna take a low mileage cup holder off my hands?
Anyone wanna take a low mileage girlfriend off my hands?
Old 06-25-2002, 01:43 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by Rick
I'm taking mine out.....personally, I find it a hinderance and have never used it for anything. Girlfriend loves to play with it, but I might get rid of her too(long story, dont ask).
Anyone wanna take a low mileage cup holder off my hands?
you might want to post some picture of that second offering
Old 06-25-2002, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Originally posted by Rick

Rick, if I was your GF, and I saw this, you'd be history first!
Old 06-25-2002, 02:08 AM

C230K

that's why i never liked my dad's 400 sel... no cup holder.

i do actually love the cup holder in my car.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
"If you drink, don't drive"
"If you drive don't drink"
or eat, or apply makeup, or shave, or read the paper, or fight with your spouse, or sleep, or talk on the phone, or get all jiggly with the beat ...
Old 06-25-2002, 09:50 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Actually, I like my cupholder, and use it frequently. Yes, it's a bit delicate, but it seems to hold "mid-size" drive through drinks just fine. I'm frankly not sure I'd trust any cupholder to support the weight of a 44oz Big Gulp, regardless of its base size.

As for its overdesign, I've been told it is so complicated for ergonomic reasons. Some of the previous posts here from 6-spd owners said that it gets in the way of shifting. But imagine how much it would interfere if it popped straight up from it's stowed position?

I was told that it's designed to pop up and then over so as to make more room for folks with manual transmissions. Displacing it to the pasenger's side of the console accomplishes that. Once you understand that, it doesn't sound so overengineered after all.

Too bad the same ergonomic engineering thought wasn't applied to the placement of the power window controls, but that's another story.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:36 AM

2002 C 230K
Galaxy Girl...I totally agree.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by Margo
Galaxy Girl...I totally agree.
Do you chicks always have to support each other? :p

I kind of agree with MB-BOB; the cupholder's not totally bad. Of course, I'd totally lose the ashtray, and redesign the whole center console so that you have two cupholders at the base of the console that can hold super sized drinks. I think that I'd rather inconvenience smokers than those who drink large sodas. BTW: Diet M D Code Red just came out, and it's almost as good as the original. FYI! Now my caffeine needs are set.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus w203
i think the cup holder is to delicate. im scared that when i put my drink in the cup holder and i make a turn its going to tip over everywhere... and hte slot on the inside for a drink seems to squeeze my cup, (its to small). but you got to admit it is pretty amusing though. i like pushing the button and watching it open, im easily amused =)
Old 06-26-2002, 04:16 AM

2002 C230, 1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
My cup holder is pristine and perfect, due to the fact that it's never been used. I strictly forbid any food or drink from coming into my car!!! And yes, I commute an hour each way, every day....still I say no drinks allowed!!

Long story....I had a Montero before my C230, and I also have a messy boyfriend ( but aren't they all? ) and the Montero had really cheesy open-sided cupholders that didn't work for crap. I asked my boyfriend not to put his drink there while he was driving on the interstate one day, and he said that it would be fine. Five minutes later, that whole McDonald's Coke spilled all down the front of my dash and stereo. Needless to say, the rest of the ride wasn't very fun!

I am a clean freak, and I want to be sure that my C230 shows that!
Old 06-26-2002, 09:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I use my cupholder every day. I normally bring a big Duncan Donuts travel cup full of coffee with me to work every day. If anyone knows these cups, they are about 8" tall, kind of fat on top, but narrow at the bottom to fit into a cup holder. It will not fit into the lower compartment, so I have to use it on the upper (flip out one). I have never had a problem with it tipping. It probably would get in the way a little bit if I had a manny, but I think I could still work around it without too much effort.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by MsMercedes
My cup holder is pristine and perfect, due to the fact that it's never been used. I strictly forbid any food or drink from coming into my car!!! And yes, I commute an hour each way, every day....still I say no drinks allowed!!

Long story....I had a Montero before my C230, and I also have a messy boyfriend ( but aren't they all? ) and the Montero had really cheesy open-sided cupholders that didn't work for crap. I asked my boyfriend not to put his drink there while he was driving on the interstate one day, and he said that it would be fine. Five minutes later, that whole McDonald's Coke spilled all down the front of my dash and stereo. Needless to say, the rest of the ride wasn't very fun!

I am a clean freak, and I want to be sure that my C230 shows that!
I don't allow anyone to to eat nor drink in my cars, period. I don't even allow my "Dime" piece to put on her lip gloss in them either