C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Can I install new Sony headunit into 2002 C230K that has factory Bose system??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 07:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K /// Brilliant Silver / C1 / C5 / C7 / 6 Spd.
Can I install new Sony headunit into 2002 C230K that has factory Bose system??

Okay, so a few months ago I ordered a new C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe. I just got it yesterday and I am totally stoked on it. I decked it out with about 10k worth of options. One of the packages included the Bose Premium Sound system. So this speaker system is 7 speakers (and I think maybe some sort of hidden sub or something). When I originally got this car, I did not want to get the cd changer, because I think that would be a waste of money. I'd rather take out the factory deck, and put in an aftermarker Sony deck that plays MP3 CD's. But I am now learning that the Bose system is very specialized. Quite different than a normal system. From what I understand, the factory stereo outputs low wattage to an amp I found in hidden in the trunk. This BOSE amp boost the signal for all seven speakers so they sound good. And with this sort of setup, I can't just replace the HU with an aftermarket one. The Sony one I'm looking at does 52x4 watts. And I can't just bypass the amp because the speakers won't work properly (something to do with their resistance rating being different Ohms than normal aftermarket speakers). The guy at ciruit city told me that with my system, the only option is to replace all speakers if I get a new stereo. Ugh! Is this really true? In Crutchfield I have seen this device called a PAC OEM-1. It allows aftermarket head units to be hooked up to a factory Bose/JBL soundsystem. But it did not list Mercedes as one of the vehicles supported...

Does anyone have any experience in this area at all? Any details? I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2002, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you put in a aftermarket HU the entire MB Bose system is a complete throw away, speakers, amp and HU. The system is on a DB2 fiber loop and your new HU won't work with it or the speakers likely. It's not that bad, a new HU, amp and speakers shouldn't set you back more than about $1,500 installed and you'll be done. You can sell the old stuff on this forum or on E-Bay. Some people didn't get the Bose option and want to add it back in.

You can get a much better sounding HU from MB with a CD player, RDS and it's compatible with the DB2 fiber loop so you keep the steering wheel controls and MFD readout. It's called the MB Audio 10 (aka - Becker BE6021), search the forum for more info. It won't play MP3's though but it will operate the MB CD changer.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Hmmm okay I was thinking that this would be the case...How difficult is it to remove the Bose system? If I sold it to someone else, do I need to remove all the wires and everything along with the HU, speakers and amp?

thanks for the help
Old 06-23-2002, 09:53 PM

2001 Silver C320
Originally posted by Jakobud
Hmmm okay I was thinking that this would be the case...How difficult is it to remove the Bose system? If I sold it to someone else, do I need to remove all the wires and everything along with the HU, speakers and amp?

thanks for the help
That seems like way too much effort and should really only be done if you don't like the sound from the Bose system. To simply add another headunit in the single-din space below your factpry head unit and then use a FM modulater to send the sound to your radio. It may not sound as good, but is WAY cheaper and with the $$ you'd save, you could get a nice flipscreen by kenwood or clarion and not a cheap little b.s. sony for your Benz.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Re: Can I install new Sony headunit into 2002 C230K that has factory Bose system??

Originally posted by Jakobud
I decked it out with about 10k worth of options
I'm curious: what other options did you get to come up with the $10k?

As far as the stereo, as Buell said, it's much easier to toss the entire system for something more simple and lose the steering wheel controls. I hardly use mine anyway. I don't think you'll get much for the old Bose system, but it's worth a try.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:23 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
It sounds like you want a mp3 player, untill you replace the whole system you will not have what you want, I repaced my entire system, it sounds better than any car I have had, believe me it is worth the cost .I like the Alpine HU
Old 06-24-2002, 11:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Okay I guess I will have to remove the entire Bose system. Now when you say I loose the steering wheel controls, do you mean ALL of the controls? Or just the radio controls? I really wouldn't mind losing just the radio controls, but I think that the rest of the system is kind of vital to using the steering wheel controls (to check speed, mpg, oil level, etc)...

And if the later is true, then what happens on the screen when you switch it to radio? Does it just say "NO RADIO" ? I did not get the phone option in mine and when I switch it to phone on the steering wheel, the screen says "NO PHONE". I assume the radio does the same thing?
Old 06-24-2002, 11:51 AM
Almost a Member!

One more question...lets say I took out the Bose system and sold it. I told my friend about this and he said maybe he could buy the system from me and we could put it in his 94 Lexus LS400. With the fiber optic stuff in the Bose system would this be possible? Does the sound system require other MB components to run?

Also, with this Bose system, there is just one big amp right? Where is it located? I've seen the location of the 'sub', is it back there also?
Old 06-24-2002, 11:54 AM

I'll buy it from you, please check your PM I sent you a message.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you remove the Bose and install another stereo system, you will only lose the ability to control the stereo with the steering wheel buttons. All other steering wheel button functions will not be changed.

MB uses the D2B protocol in its firber optic system. Only one other car manufacturer uses it, and that manufacturer is not Lexus. Your Bose system won't work in your friends Lexus. If the connection between the headunit and amp is copper and not fiber optic, he might be able to use the amp and speakers with another headunit.