C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

so get this... NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, C
Exclamation so get this... NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

i got a ticket yesterday for having a modified exhaust...

i have never heard of this. I NEED YOUR GUYS' HELP!!!

here is the whole story:

i was doing 40 in a 40 in san francisco. The cop pulls behind me, and pulls me over a couple minutes later(dont know why he waited). He asked me if he knows why i got pulled over. I say no, i have my seatbelt on, and i was doing speedlimit. Well, he told me "son, can you read this," as he pull out his speed-gun showing i was going 41... haha what bull****...

anyway, he said he also is going to give me a ticker or modified exhaust.

i was like WTF!?!?!, i told him the sound of my exhust meets CA regulations, and its aftermarket made for this car.

he told me ANY NON-STOCK EXHAUST IS ILLEGAL IN ALL OF CALIFORNIA, NO MATTER WHO SAYS IT MEETS CA REGULATIONS,

he also said that its OK to sell aftermakret exhaust, b/c vendors are sleeign them *** "off-road" use.

is this true?? i have never heard of this bs..

what can i do???

-cyrus
Old 06-04-2005, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
So did the cop give you ticket for driving 41 on 40 limit??
Old 06-04-2005, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
I'm smelling BS since no cop would write a 41 in a 40 unless the "safe speed" due to conditions was much lower. Judges hate cops that write frivulous tickets and waste court time and taxpayer money.

Also, the California law does not make all non-stock exhaust illegal, only those that make it louder.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 750 Likes on 731 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
my friend once got a tix for loud exhaust even though it was 50 state legal.
u may want to get a letter from the manufacturer stating it is street legal and present it to the court...
CA cops are freakin' judge dredd!
Old 06-04-2005, 01:37 PM

bike
The cop is prejudice, no doubt!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:06 PM

CLS, C
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
I'm smelling BS since no cop would write a 41 in a 40 unless the "safe speed" due to conditions was much lower. Judges hate cops that write frivulous tickets and waste court time and taxpayer money.

Also, the California law does not make all non-stock exhaust illegal, only those that make it louder.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

well, he gave me a speeding ticket, but for some reason, on the ticket(im looking at it right now) he put i was doing 42.

also, right underneath it it states:

modified exhaust: "uc 27151(A) mod. exhaust Infraction - Correctable violation -NO"

BULL ****ING ****!!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
you do have the louder, dronier RACE version of the eisenmann exhaust . Heck you can hear my Hi-Perf going around D's.. yours? easy kill for a cop :|, then again i'm pretty much sleeper. But good luck with that, he was probably hating on your directionals.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:43 PM

just go to court and fight it. if i remeber right you have a 5mph grace in the speed limit. so a 40mph you can go up to 44mph. with out getting a ticket. as far as the exhast goes, if its not state leagal your screwed. if it is. just bring prof to court.

also.. you can have 2 or 3 extentions of court dates. use them all. most of the time the cop will either forget you when in court and not rember the situation. or get fed up and not show. no show = you win. just make sure you use the extention at the last posible day to file for the extention. so if the courts are slow the cop wont be notifed and wont know not to show up in court :v
Old 06-04-2005, 05:26 PM

2004 C230k (SOLD), 2005 C230k (Lease ended), 2004 Carrera 4 Cab, 2007 530i
42 on 40 he gave u a ticket? hahah thats bull*****...you can easily fight that.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
I got pulled over the other day for loud exhaust. I just talked to him calmly and cool and he just let me go and complimented my car. Maybe you were being an ******* to him?
Old 06-04-2005, 06:29 PM

2002 c320 wagon
i duno if u have ever been to court for a ticket...but when i went... u actually have to goto like a prelimary thing where u give your plea of guilty or not guilty ... basically you just say your guilty and tell the judge what happenned, and the judge will make his decision on what to do.. but if u say not guilty you schedule another court date.. and then that is when the cop comes... my judge seemed like a really nice guy so i just pleaded guilty and he dropped my ticket after i told him what happened... good luck.. and yea thats ****in bs.... F*CK THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
why the heck did he add one more mph to the ticket ? he told you, your speed was 41 mph but he wrote down 42 mph. this ain't right. you've got to fight this ticket.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Don't roll over....

Plead not guilty. It is up to the court to decide whether or not you are guilty...not the cop. E55AMG99 listed the appropriated vehicle section codes and you can use them. Unless the cop used a decibel meter (or your exhaust IS real loud) it will be your word against his. Just tell the court you changed exhaust systems because the after market was cheaper to replace yours with.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Banned

05 C230 SS, 04 CLK55 Cabrio
Where in San Fran did this happen ? I am from there
Old 06-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Almost a Member!

don't forget to subpena the video tape in the cop car to get him on tape saying 41. i think you have a month before the tape is erased, just something else you can look into. hopefully, you did not say anything incriminating on the tape. good luck.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:09 PM

2002 c320 wagon
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Plead not guilty. It is up to the court to decide whether or not you are guilty...not the cop. E55AMG99 listed the appropriated vehicle section codes and you can use them. Unless the cop used a decibel meter (or your exhaust IS real loud) it will be your word against his. Just tell the court you changed exhaust systems because the after market was cheaper to replace yours with.
i was just sayin to plead guilty with explanation..becuz sometimes cops twist things around in court...and the judge usually believes the cop over you... so if u plead guilty with explanation.. the judge will only hear your side.... and not the cops side.... but if the judge is an a$$hole plead not guilty...

by the way... wtf is up with the censoring ???
Old 06-04-2005, 10:16 PM

05 C230K SS and 02 C240
I got a $60 ticket once somewhere around 1000 palms for having modified exhaust on I-10 from Phoenix to LA. I just paid the ticket since there's no point and it's cheaper for me than to remove my aftermarket exhaust and going back to the court in CA.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
also.. you can have 2 or 3 extentions of court dates. use them all. most of the time the cop will either forget you when in court and not rember the situation. or get fed up and not show. no show = you win. just make sure you use the extention at the last posible day to file for the extention. so if the courts are slow the cop wont be notifed and wont know not to show up in court :v
I've done that every time, and IT WORKS !!!!!

I'm like NOTKTS: No Tickets !!!

Old 06-04-2005, 10:25 PM

05 C230K SS and 02 C240
Originally Posted by Saprissa
I've done that every time, and IT WORKS !!!!!

I'm like NOTKTS: No Tickets !!!

Cool...thanks for the info. I'll do that in the future (knock on wood).
Old 06-05-2005, 02:13 PM

CLS, C
Originally Posted by newbenzamg
Where in San Fran did this happen ? I am from there

well, i live in san ramon....

but i got the ticket near SFSU... park merced area...

wat pisses me off, i tried to understand why my exaust was illegal, and he kept telling me ANY MODIFIED EXHAUST THAT IS AFTERMARKET IS ILLEGAL..

and i was like, why dont you give that ****ing rick rocket parked there a ticket for modified exhuast... ahah i didnt say that, but in the parking lot whetre i was pulled over, there was a riced out civic hatchback with a big *** muffler...

anyway i tried t explain to him i have never heard of any law,and he ws like, well im a cop and i know everything, and you dont know jack ****....

before he left, i was like, this is ridiculous, and an outrage..

i told him to i see him in court, he was like good, i get aid overtime,
and i was like yeah, you need that to be able to afford my directionals
Old 06-09-2005, 03:57 PM

CLS, C
Update On My Ticket!! It Got Crazy!!!

It just got crazy folks... need some advice on what to do.

i called the officer back a couple days after i got my ticket, and left him a voicemail stating that my exhaust IS LEGAL, and here is the proof(thanks to everyone who showed me to the dmv website). Anway that was like a wee ago.

I had moved out of my parents house for about 1 year now, but i didnt care to change the regestration of my car.

Yesterday, my parents get a knock on the door from the danville police. They tell my mom that i have been involved in a illegal activity and they need to talk to me. My mom asked what was going on. They said i was involved in an accident and i commited criminal activities. The cop started intergation my mom, asking her hella questions and ****. My mom told her nothining, and the cop said that if you dont give me any information, i will charge you with the crime that "I" have commited also.

to make a the loooooooooooooooong story short, my mom called me all stressed out and ****, poor lady almost has a heart attack.

officer craig from the daly city PD sent a report to the danville police stating:

"Cyrus with lic#**** driving a black mercedes was involved in an accident yesterday. Please go to his house and investigate"

NOW, i was never involved in an accident. Remember, my ticket was for modified exhuast and speeding.

anwyays, the danville police call my mom, and apologize, cause usually when they get a report from another police dept. stating that there was an accident, it usually means that it was a hit and run. My mom understood, and basically officer craig(the guy who gave me a ticket is at fault, he should have said regardeding a ticket rather than an accident)

here is the funny part, officer craig calls me and tell me that hey cyrus, if you can send me the proof that you exhaust is LEGAL and under 95 db by faxing me the papers, i will dismiss your ticket. So i asked him "why did you tell danville police that i was involved in an accident", and he replied i never did. I KNOW HE IS LYING...

both the cop and the lietenant(sp) of the danville police read me the report from him that stated i was in an accident. I TRIED to get this report to prove he is a liar, and they cannot give it to me cause its confidentrail police reoprts on their computers or some bull****.

HAHA, stupid cop also lied to me when i was in the car. telling me THAT ALL AFTERMARKER exhausts are illegal.... what should i do?

i want to **** this cop up HARDCORE

i want to get out of BOTH my

Last edited by vyruz; 06-09-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Get a good lawyer and watch the drama unfolds. They could have infringed your civil rights.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Need more info.......how about showing the 1st posting from when you got the ticket and maybe we can help you.

p.s .What is that avatar ? I want to hit that thing with axe.

Last edited by AMGC43; 06-09-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:28 PM

bike
Maybe you'll get a $Million$ for this...
Old 06-09-2005, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe you shouldn't put this stuff on a public webpage?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: so get this... NEED YOUR HELP!!!!