C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

If I cut half a coil off my H&R springs in the front...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I cut half a coil off my H&R springs in the front...

..will they still sit proper in the bracket/rubber pad on top of the spring?

I mean will they fit at all..? Isn't it actually better to cut a whole coil to make the spring sit right?

For you anti-cutters, please save your remarks! :v

Last edited by pimpdawg; 06-06-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bantha
Originally Posted by pimpdawg
G-G-GHETTO!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:55 AM

05 C230K SS and 02 C240
It does sounded ghetto....I had coilover and I took them off. What's the point in using a coilover if you can't fully utilize them to get the ride height you desire esspecially on the front wheels w/o any rubbing issue on the inside? If you use spacers, you need major fender mod. I have my springs cut a full coil to get the height I desire and the ride is about the same. That's just my opinion.

pimpdawg,
Cut in a full coil increment is better IMO, since it will sit properly on the top and bottom grove of the spring perch. You want the spring to be able to decompress long enough to hold the top spring perch in place and the springs from turning and slip outside the spring perch...so don't cut them too much.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You mean, for the inteligent, be quiet? With the amount of options available if you're not being cheap, why would you cut, and why would you attempt to suppress the voices of reason?

Reasons;
- Your spring rates will change, varying front to rear adversely affecting proper handling of the vehicle.
- You struts will be over compressed, shortening the life of, and potentially bottoming out. This will place excess and unnecessary stress on the strut tower and bearing
- If you're cutting coils you are no doubt only going for the look. Do you think we can't tell when we see you going down the bouncing like you're riding on a rigid frame BENZ? You end up looking like a fool who couldn't afford to do it right, dawg.

Oh wait, bad Tom, SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 06-06-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Red face

..will they still sit proper in the bracket/rubber pad on top of the spring?

I mean will they fit at all..? Isn't it actually better to cut a whole coil to make the spring sit right?

Old 06-06-2005, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
pimpdawg you will be ok. I was riding on 1/2 a coil for 2 yrs w/no problems. I would never rub nor was the ride untolerable. I did it because I wanted to keep the yellow konis matching w/the yellow brembos but at the end I figure I might as well just get CO's. Now I need spacers to clear my fronts and I needed to shave off all the fender lining. I kinda wished I would have just stuck to cut springs...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nukblazi
- If you're cutting coils you are no doubt only going for the look. Do you think we can't tell when we see you going down the bouncing like you're riding on a rigid frame BENZ?

Not true. I am going to step in and correct you there nuk But if you cut 2+ then I think it might be bouncy....
Old 06-06-2005, 09:54 PM

05 C230K SS and 02 C240
LorinserCClass, that's so true.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
I cut 2 coils last time, it's so bouncy, i wish i have a ***** to see it bounce .
Coilover can be an issue with clearance, but i only have minor issue with them luckily.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by nukblazi
You mean, for the inteligent, be quiet? With the amount of options available if you're not being cheap, why would you cut, and why would you attempt to suppress the voices of reason?

Reasons;
- Your spring rates will change, varying front to rear adversely affecting proper handling of the vehicle.
- You struts will be over compressed, shortening the life of, and potentially bottoming out. This will place excess and unnecessary stress on the strut tower and bearing
- If you're cutting coils you are no doubt only going for the look. Do you think we can't tell when we see you going down the bouncing like you're riding on a rigid frame BENZ? You end up looking like a fool who couldn't afford to do it right, dawg.

Oh wait, bad Tom, SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
well im with Tom here. Then again people like us see spring and shock upgrades as a way to ballance a car and we dont give a u know what about how the car looks. When I set my ride height i worry about suspension travel for mid-cornet bumps and I worry about the strut tube bottoming out and failing. For performance driving being slammed to the ground is not hte way to go at all. Then again I pay people to set the ride height according to the corner weight figures for the car with a driver in the drivers seat and no spare tire. Well then again one side of my car is .25 - .5 inches higher than the other when sitting parked! Silly me!

Got to love people who have the whole wheel tucked up inthe fender when driving down the street. They always seem to be the ones with ripped fender lips

If you want to adjust your ride height buy adjustable coil-overs of some sort. What does a set of H&R's cost... 900 bucks?

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 06-07-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

If you want to adjust your ride height buy adjustable coil-overs of some sort. What does a set of H&R's cost... 900 bucks?
I bought the H&R CO's for more than that Like I said though I kinda wish I woulda just left it alone but oh well I decided to not be ghetto
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LorinserCClass
Not true. I am going to step in and correct you there nuk But if you cut 2+ then I think it might be bouncy....
You went from cut sport springs to H&Rs. The issue I found with the H&Rs after going to the KW V2s is that there is not enough suspension travel, and they are bouncy as well. I had gone from Eibach sports to H&R sports to H&R coilovers to the KW V2 coilovers. Wish I had just gone to the KWs from day 1.

There's no correction to be made if you take a sport spring, and a stock shock, it isn't well balanced, and dampening rates do not match, strut length does not match, the strut is under more stress, hence will fail prematurely i.e, 20K mile instead of 40-60K depending on driving style. If you cut coils, it amplifies the effects.

Granted, you would need to be on the edge of adhesion in a corner to realize that "suddenly rigid" is a bad thing

It can be done, it is a bad thing though for your shocks and shock towers. "If" the shock bottoms out, all the energy is then directly transfered to the chassis. Looks damn fine though G