C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

ACC LINE routing for new HU. help please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Grom
ACC LINE routing for new HU. help please.

hey guys. I am trying to put in the new HU using the Metra Wiring Harness. I already searched and everyone talks about tapping for the ACC line through cig lighter. Can someone tell me how they tapped the cig lighter and if it's still useable as a cig lighter afterwards. I have everything wired already but I can't figure this out. Searched both forums too but no explanations. If someone can please IM me, I would appreciate it
BTW... I will upload pics when I am done......
Thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I think they use something like this.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Just wanted to say that JOHNCL is awesome. He walked me through the whole thing step by step and it took about 30 mins... (because i am slow as shoot working with only dome light on.) Gonna have the g/f pick up the splicers manana and finish install tommorow night. BTW... thanks Andy for the pic . I better link the g/f so she knows what to get
Old 06-07-2005, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
I think they use something like this.

We actually use 1/4" spade terminals and make a Y-connector that plugs into the harness and into the cigarette lighter. Just like is discussed elsewhere in the forum.

-s-
Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Why make them when they can be bought.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Why make them when they can be bought.

Cuz it is kind of nice to have insulation around active 12v lines fused for 15A... just something I am weird about I guess.

(Also the room under the cigar lighter for such devices is limited.)

-s-
Old 06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Me too. Thats why they make shrink sleeving.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
I gave the g/f item numbers of splicers and inline fuse kit from radioshack. She forgot to buy the splicers. LMAO....... God bless her. Anyhow... i will just snip the cable and crimp them all together this afternoon when i come home to finish the install. Maybe post a pic or two tonight
Old 06-08-2005, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Originally Posted by electromethod
I gave the g/f item numbers of splicers and inline fuse kit from radioshack. She forgot to buy the splicers. LMAO....... God bless her. Anyhow... i will just snip the cable and crimp them all together this afternoon when i come home to finish the install. Maybe post a pic or two tonight
Damn women forgetting your stuff!! What to do ??

Good luck with the rest of the install, and I am anxious to see your finished result. You shouldn't have any issues putting back what we took apart the other night, but if something comes up let me know.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by johncl
Damn women forgetting your stuff!! What to do ??
Good luck with the rest of the install, and I am anxious to see your finished result. You shouldn't have any issues putting back what we took apart the other night, but if something comes up let me know.
He knows better that to associate with evil (his own words). He is just thinking with the wrong brain once again.

<duckundrennwegschnell> :v
Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
So I came home about 30 mins ago from work, sat in the car and finished wiring it all. Hit the power button and voila: JACK SH*T. The HU won't power up. I am going to go back and see what the hell it could be. I used Metra's VW kit and thanks to johncl directions I was able to connect to the ACC @ cig lighter. Any ideas guys? I am reading all the posts on wiring harness's and the ACC line is the only one that wasn't supposed to match up.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Did you verify proper hook-up with a DVM/VOM/idiot light prior to connevtivity of the HU. Did you verify the fuse and/or power operation of the HU prior to? Which link, with the pinout are you using? Lots of stupid troubleshooting questions; but necessary.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
I didn't use a DVM because I didn't figure i needed to. I have done HU installs many times so I don't see what I screwed up. I used metra's wiring harnness for VW 87 and up. part # 80-1784. I am going to go out there with a MM and see if first of all the HU is getting power. Is there a fuse somewhere in car for the radio? I am wondering if maybe that is what the problem is... (i will go read my manual ) Got the laptop in car with me so let's see if it's something stupid i did.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
ok. checked the fuse for radio. # 64. It's perfectly fine.
my mm's battery is dead. it takes a tiny battery so I am SOL. I am left wondering one more possibility. If the HU isn't working to begin with.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
I was looking to double check the pinout's that I used but now i can't find the post. Sigh..... anyone want to compare with what i wrote down last week?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Found it. THis is the pinout that I went off of.

http://www.budget.net/%7esura/Audio10PinOuts.pdf

Is this correct? if so then i am screwed. I checked everything right now and I got nothing. any ideas?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Uhoh

The thick brown wire from A8 must be connected to the chassis. Sometimes a nice screw turns out not to be grounded! You might also check the 10A fuse on the rear of the radio. Open the 12v or ground lead and stick your ammeter in series with the wire. You should see a few milliamps with the radio off, and a couple of amps when the radio is turned on.

I had a Becker radio with a power relay near the power switch. The relay had a cold solder joint on one terminal. A little heat and we had a winner.

Driving a car without a radio is like riding around in a tomb.

You might have already checked the above, so in the words of Roseane Roseane Adanna (SNL) "-Never Mind."

Girlfriends are perfect for their intended purpose, but when you need something to be fetched, you should have a faithful Indian companion, like Tonto!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Found it. THis is the pinout that I went off of.

http://www.budget.net/%7esura/Audio10PinOuts.pdf

Is this correct? if so then i am screwed. I checked everything right now and I got nothing. any ideas?
Thanks
You might be better off using an applicable pinout that has full definition of the wires in the car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/4321-c230k-w203-radio-wiring-harness-pinout.html

-s-
Old 06-09-2005, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
So first thing i did this morning was buy batteries for the MM. Went back and voila found that I have power from FACTORY harness but no power from METRA Harness. Disconnected the harness and took a fine screw driver to hammer in the connection. Plugged it back in and voila..... I had constant power. Only problem is that I am not getting power from my ACC plug I pulled from cig lighter. HU does work when i plug it into fuse slot 7 in trunk. I tapped into the brown wire that goes to cig lighter. THe only thing i can think of is that i looked at box of fuses g/f bought and it says "slow blow fuses." Wrong fuse maybe? I have to get back to work now so maybe I will have a chance to mess with it this afternoon if i can sneak out for an hour. THanks
Old 06-09-2005, 11:20 AM

2010 C300
Not to state the obvious, but you've got the key on when checking the power from the ACC line, right? I've forgotten things like this before, sometimes I over think things and don't notice the simple solutions.

Also, does your cig. lighter have power? If your lighter has power, but your ACC line does not, it's your connection - or you tapped the wrong wire. (Check it before and after the fuse to see if the problem is there)
Old 06-09-2005, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So first thing i did this morning was buy batteries for the MM. Went back and voila found that I have power from FACTORY harness but no power from METRA Harness. Disconnected the harness and took a fine screw driver to hammer in the connection. Plugged it back in and voila..... I had constant power. Only problem is that I am not getting power from my ACC plug I pulled from cig lighter. HU does work when i plug it into fuse slot 7 in trunk. I tapped into the brown wire that goes to cig lighter. THe only thing i can think of is that i looked at box of fuses g/f bought and it says "slow blow fuses." Wrong fuse maybe? I have to get back to work now so maybe I will have a chance to mess with it this afternoon if i can sneak out for an hour. THanks
Uhh, the brown wire in the cigarette lighter harness is... ground, not accessory power (like all brown wires that come in the car).

-s-
Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
I am at work right now but if i remember correctly, there was a brown with different color stripe; there was violet with stripe; and something else. If brown is the ground then which one is the ACC and how would i be able to tell?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Sorry, can't help you. But didn't you just put fresh batteries into your MM?

<duckundrennwegschnell>
Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
haha... thanks andy. Ya know.... lately i am really starting to hate anything regarding electronics. I spent 2 weeks fighting with Windows Terminal Server until I finally was able to conquer it and now this. Either my IQ has dropped or I need that vacation I keep talking about but never taking.
I am gonna go out to car now and see if I can't finish this by 1AM. Thanks for the help guys . Off to work on benzie i go.....
Old 06-09-2005, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
I would opt for a vacation. If I inadvertantly steered you to the brown wire I apologize, didn't mean to. Bad johncl!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ACC LINE routing for new HU. help please.