C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Can we put fuel additives in our komprressors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 C230K-ss
Can we put fuel additives in our komprressors?

Hey guys, had a quick question that ive been thinking about for awhile now. Well when I had a norm. aspirated car (my range rover...damn i miss that v8 ) I used to add you know the fuel cleaner that you would put in after filling up the car to help clean out the engine and at times I put in this stupid octane booster *****. So can we put anything like that in our forced induction cars or no? I never put anything in when I had my gti either cuz I was worried but Im curious as to what we can put in or what HAVE you put in thats worth while. TIA
Cheers,
-Geoff
Old 06-08-2005, 03:57 PM

'02 MB C240 6spd / '92 BMW 325i 5spd
I started using it in my '92 BMW 325i when it had about 112k miles because by
then your injectors will be dirty.

I dont think it would make sense using it with a recently new car. Unless if you are using low octane gas in your vehicle.

But thats just my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by TheBossman
Hey guys, had a quick question that ive been thinking about for awhile now. Well when I had a norm. aspirated car (my range rover...damn i miss that v8 ) I used to add you know the fuel cleaner that you would put in after filling up the car to help clean out the engine and at times I put in this stupid octane booster *****. So can we put anything like that in our forced induction cars or no? I never put anything in when I had my gti either cuz I was worried but Im curious as to what we can put in or what HAVE you put in thats worth while. TIA
Cheers,
-Geoff
I use REDLINE fuel system cleaner in my g/f's C230K evey 10 tankfuls.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
Didn't the owners manual said NOT to use additives in our cars? If something goes bad in the fuel system, they can void our warrenty.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I once took the ML in for a engine noise, the first question they had asked was what Brand of fuel i use, because if you use Chevron/Shell/Texaco, they already have fuel cleaners in them and they did not recommend anyother brands. And Warrantee may not cover damages from poor gas.

I was using Arco till then, but now run Shell just in case.

and i thought 91 fuel was 91 fuel.......
Old 06-08-2005, 04:28 PM

04 C230K-ss
well yeah I use Chevron, which is one of the 'cleanest' gasses I guess and still at times I feel like I could just help the engine out by adding a nice additive to clean the system out or even something to add a little more power to it as well. I have noticed my gas mileage per tank has gone down a good 40 mi. average lately. So thats another thing as to why I wanted to know. Any more suggestions please to post up!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by BabyBenz6spd
Didn't the owners manual said NOT to use additives in our cars? If something goes bad in the fuel system, they can void our warrenty.
How are they gonna prove it ? Once every 10 tanks isn't gonna leave a trace.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:49 PM

bike
How bout Gas from Mobil/Exxon? Are they any good cuz that's what I feed my b1tch.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Fuel Injector Cleaners are mostly gasahol...the alcohol content in the solution disolves the carbon build up and then burns it off at a lower temperature. As long as you don't have to submit to a breathalizer....they do their trick without a trace.
As far as octane boost.....Predetonation will pop the kompressor right off your intake! Don't do it.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:26 PM

I've never run Exxon (something to do with my parents after the Valdez thing I guess)

Anyways, i've run Mobile in the 190e (which has the economy guage) and for some reason at idle the needle points at the beginning of the red. Chevron and Shell points in the black. Maybe the car maybe the fuel.

Now i am curious, i will search on the internet and post if I am unable to conclude the difference between fuel companies.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:37 PM

Personnal Preference

After trying to do a MSN search.... I have concluded, personal preference. I don't think it makes anydiff as long as the octane formula equates to 91.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:25 PM

2002 CL203
Originally Posted by Justinius7
After trying to do a MSN search.... I have concluded, personal preference. I don't think it makes anydiff as long as the octane formula equates to 91.
I use nothing less than 94. As a side note, at my Husky/Mohawk (canadian company), They have eliminated anything below 90. But at the same price as 87.

So now I can only chose between 90, 92 and 94 anyways.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:47 PM

Consider yourself lucky!!!!

Here in California, 91 octane is the highest we can get (97, 89, 91 are our choices)
Old 06-08-2005, 08:15 PM

bike
87...not 97
Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 PM

C230K
Wow, I'm moving to Canada. Do you need the higher octane for the cold weather?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by Rick
Fuel Injector Cleaners are mostly gasahol...the alcohol content in the solution disolves the carbon build up and then burns it off at a lower temperature. As long as you don't have to submit to a breathalizer....they do their trick without a trace.
As far as octane boost.....Predetonation will pop the kompressor right off your intake! Don't do it.
Fuel additives and cleaners contain more than just alcohol or gasohol as you call it and many can be very corrosive to fuel systems. For low mileage cars, they are not necessary if you are using any of the major brands of gasoline. High mileage cars *might* see some improvement if they have been given crappy gas all their lives. As for detection, unless it's in the tank or you admit to using it, no one can tell. The damage is rather obvious, however.

Your last statement is rather puzzling. First of all, the term you are looking for is pre-ignition or detonation, not predetonation. Pre-ignition or detonation occurs when the air/fuel mixture self ignites before the spark plug fires. Keeping the octane rating (among other things) at the manufacturer's recommended level will allow the mixture to fully compress at any operating temperature and be ignited by the spark plug ad not before. The knock or ping you hear is the sound of the pre-ignition flame front colliding with the flame front from the spark plug.

Secondly, blowers don't pop off their intakes because of pre-ignition nor from octane boosters. Intake backfires (presence of the blower makes no difference except for bigger booms) are usually caused by overly lean fuel mixtures, ignition timing or cross firing problems, fuel puddling in the intake and/or too much cam overlap.

Autoshop wasn't that boring, was it?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by dead_eye
Wow, I'm moving to Canada. Do you need the higher octane for the cold weather?
No.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Consider yourself lucky!!!!

Here in California, 91 octane is the highest we can get (97, 89, 91 are our choices)
Some Union 76/Unocal stations have 100. Go online to find out where.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by AMGC43
I use REDLINE fuel system cleaner in my g/f's C230K evey 10 tankfuls.
REDLINE is one of the better choices for a fuel system cleaner. I use it in my cars and boats that I don't drive for months at a time.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Is there REAL snake oil in snake oil?

One gasoline molecule looks exactly the same as another to a chemist. What is different is the additives put in the tanker when it is filled at the "rack." Chevron is the gas of choice for people who want to keep the fuel system clean. It is also clean burning. Chevron does not market gasoline in Michigan, but all three manufacturers pay for tankers to haul Chevron gas for emmission testing.

Other brands have similar additives, but there is a lot of gas sold that barely meets state specifications to be called gasoline.

Bossman (my neighbor) has noticed a difference in range. California gasoline is oxygenated in winter months (to March 1st.) The purpose is to avoid nitrates in the exhaust. The additional oxygen does contribute more powerful combustion, so you go farther. It is not used year 'round because it is expensive, .05 a gallon, and contributes little in summer months.

Now for the "my Octane is higher than your octane" debate. Canada posts higher octane because they post the RON (research octane number) for their gas. In the US we post the average of the RON and the MON (motor octane number.) For example regular gas in the US with 86.5 Octane is the same as Canada's 91 Octane.

100 Octane? Yes some stations have trick racing fuel, but the use is limited to high compression race cars running near redline all the time that can benifit from the increased octane. Those engines usually get rebuilt every 500 miles or so...do you want your car rebuilt that often?

Additives, smaditives. There is no such thing as a mechanic in a can. No modern car needs any oil or gas additive. If you want to buy an additive, send the money to the Red Cross or Ronald McDonald House. The charities will be better off, and your car will be running exactly the same. Exceptions? Sure. If you have water in the fuel tank, some alcohol can absorb it. If you are assembling a newly machined engine, MSO2 paste on bearings and STP on all other interior surfaces will prevent "green run" damage.

Redline is a good company, and has fine products. Their racing oils are very highly refined, and wonderful in race cars. A Mercedes Benz on the highway will notice scant difference using additives. If additives worked, MBUSA would be selling them along side the floor mats, t-shirts, and commuter mugs at the dealerships.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by Moviela
One gasoline molecule looks exactly the same as another to a chemist. What is different is the additives put in the tanker when it is filled at the "rack." Chevron is the gas of choice for people who want to keep the fuel system clean. It is also clean burning. Chevron does not market gasoline in Michigan, but all three manufacturers pay for tankers to haul Chevron gas for emmission testing.

Other brands have similar additives, but there is a lot of gas sold that barely meets state specifications to be called gasoline.

Bossman (my neighbor) has noticed a difference in range. California gasoline is oxygenated in winter months (to March 1st.) The purpose is to avoid nitrates in the exhaust. The additional oxygen does contribute more powerful combustion, so you go farther. It is not used year 'round because it is expensive, .05 a gallon, and contributes little in summer months.

Now for the "my Octane is higher than your octane" debate. Canada posts higher octane because they post the RON (research octane number) for their gas. In the US we post the average of the RON and the MON (motor octane number.) For example regular gas in the US with 86.5 Octane is the same as Canada's 91 Octane.

100 Octane? Yes some stations have trick racing fuel, but the use is limited to high compression race cars running near redline all the time that can benifit from the increased octane. Those engines usually get rebuilt every 500 miles or so...do you want your car rebuilt that often?

Additives, smaditives. There is no such thing as a mechanic in a can. No modern car needs any oil or gas additive. If you want to buy an additive, send the money to the Red Cross or Ronald McDonald House. The charities will be better off, and your car will be running exactly the same. Exceptions? Sure. If you have water in the fuel tank, some alcohol can absorb it. If you are assembling a newly machined engine, MSO2 paste on bearings and STP on all other interior surfaces will prevent "green run" damage.

Redline is a good company, and has fine products. Their racing oils are very highly refined, and wonderful in race cars. A Mercedes Benz on the highway will notice scant difference using additives. If additives worked, MBUSA would be selling them along side the floor mats, t-shirts, and commuter mugs at the dealerships.
The mis-information continues....

There is technically no such thing as a "gasoline molecule". Gasoline is made up of hundreds of hydrocarbon chains with anywhere from 2-20 carbon atoms. They are broken down into several categories called Paraffins, Olefins, Naphthenes and Aromatics. There are also many other "additives" such as Oxygenates which, by the way DO NOT contribute to more powerful combustion. Oxygenated fuels contain 3-5% LESS BTU per gallon than standard gasoline. Fuel economy AND performace is worse with Oxygenated fuels. BTW, the purpose is to reduce CO (carbon monoxide) which is caused by incomplete combustion and to reduce Nitric Oxide NO and NO2 but referred to as NOx.

The part of your post about 100 octane fuel is freaking hillarious! Were you asleep in chemistry AND auto shop? 100 octane fuel is NOT limited to race cars that get their engines rebuilt every 500 miles The the use of higher octane rated fuel does not necessitate engine rebuilds every 500 miles.

OMG, I can't freaking write anymore. You are so far off base it isn't even funny. There used to be a great technical FAQ that I posted on this board many moons ago but it seems to be MIA. Anyway, do a google search before you cram you foot any farther down your throat.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:28 AM

2010 C300
I've never run Exxon (something to do with my parents after the Valdez thing I guess)

Anyways, i've run Mobile in the 190e
Exxon and Mobil are the same company. (ExxonMobil)
Old 06-09-2005, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 83 Likes on 41 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450

You may want to go to your local airstrip, and check out their AvGas. 100 Octane. Are you inferring that every 500 miles, a pilot must land to overhaul his engine?

Using an octane higher than your engine requires is an unnecessary expense, but will certainly do no harm to your engine.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:54 PM

bike
You think my car can fly off the runway if I added jet fuel??? Pwahahahah!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
I know what you're saying,
but I don't think the higher octane fuel is what causes race car engines to be overhauled/rebuilt every 500 miles.
It's the constant redline, high temp, high pressure, wear & tear that does these engines in.

Formula 1 engines are prime example, but by no means is it due to the premium fuel they use.

btw, Exxon & Mobil are bed-buddies !

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com

Last edited by Saprissa; 06-09-2005 at 07:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Can we put fuel additives in our komprressors?