C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Question about charcoal leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about charcoal leather

How does it feel on hot summer days? Do you use car cover or sunshade to reduce heat inside the car?
Is "rest" mode in climate control really helpful?
Old 07-01-2002, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

in the heat.. it definitely does get pretty hot.. i usually try to park my car in the shade but they are hard to come by these days.. shady spots i mean.. i usually roll down all the windows and let it cool down...but the seats and steering do stay warm for a bit

and rest mode only works inthe cold... it circulates warm air through the car to keep it warm...
Old 07-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320 Bril Slvr,NAV
I have lived in the Phoenix, Arizona for over 25 years and nearly all of my
MB's have had black or now charcoal leather. As far as ambient temperature
there is no difference in black or white since either will merely heat up to
the ambient temperature. On the other hand, where the sun directly hits
the seat, black will absorb more heat than white. Something most people
don't know is that once you get away from white, the heat absortion of
most colors isn't much different than black.
Even where the seat has been in the sun, you will find it is fine very soon
after driving off. Vinyl isn't as good.
Get the charcoal leather and enjoy its elegance.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by Fuzzo

and rest mode only works inthe cold... it circulates warm air through the car to keep it warm...
Well it will work in summer too, but the reserve cold air dissipates pretty quickly and you're left w/ somewhat warm air.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:50 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
its been blazingly hot in philly, and my black coupe, with charcoal leather seats are ok.

the key things are:

1. close the roof shade when you leave the car
2. open the windows from outside
3. AC turned hard left
4. park in shade if possible

come to think of it, its the blaast of super hot air when you step into the car, that bothers me more then the hot seats. its not like i ride around nekkid or anything. and to think people pay good money for hot seats???
Old 07-02-2002, 12:14 AM

We use the sunshade thing that brookstone has. It has durable fabric and a spring frame-stows easily with a twist of the wrist. A substantial decrease in inside temp when used.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by MarkL

Well it will work in summer too, but the reserve cold air dissipates pretty quickly and you're left w/ somewhat warm air.
This is an understatement! The cold air is pretty much used up by the time you get out of the car. It's not even worth using in the summer.

The best thing is to either park in the shade if possible, or to use sun shade. I always close the sunroof shade and put up the back sun shade. If you can, leave the sunroof tilted up which will also help a little.

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2002, 10:39 AM

2001 C240 6spd
I've got black leather interior in my C240...and living here in AZ....the seats do get a little hot, but seems like only for a few seconds. I went to Shumacher MB yesterday to have scheduled maintenance done and as a first time customer, they gave me a small welcome package - 30 min telephone card, address book, and sun shade(similar to the one from Brookstones). Tacky or not..I use a large beach towel to cover the dash/steering wheel. Now will use the sun shade(with the Schumacher logo facing in) and see if there is a difference. The sun shade seems a bit small - not tall enough to fit next to the window, so I am still using the towel also. Hopefully, this will cool things down a bit. But, whent he temp is 110deg...i dont think there is much one can do. A co-worker has a ML320 and he covers his car with a car cover - the MB one. It still is hot inside, but does protect the interior from direct sunlight.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:40 AM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
I currently have a C240 with charcoal leather. In comparison to the Audi A4 with grey leather I had previously - there's not a lot of difference. If it's hot outside, it will get hot inside - maybe a little hotter with charcoal, but another color certainly wouldn't be "cool"............
Old 07-02-2002, 11:29 AM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
I got the MB sunshade that goes with this car. It's great. I feel a substantial reduction in heat when I enter my car. Mind you, I park in the blazing sun for 8 hours everyday during work and there's no shade anywhere! Try it, it'll cost you $60.00 but it sure works. It's also got UV protection as well.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K
Fortunately my MB leaves a garage in the morning for another garage at work -- then home. For those days when it sits outside I use the MB sunshade. Pricey, but it really helps. I have always had dark leather interiors and let's face it -- when it's hot outside any car interior is going to be hotter inside regardless of color. Stay cool!
Old 07-02-2002, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
If left in the blazing sun I find the seats don't get that hot. However, the center armrest sure does - seems that if it were leather covered it wouldn't be nearly as hot to the touch.

BT