C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

When driving.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by Accord
Michelle, mabye the reason people always look at your car on the road is because of something you posted in a thread in the OffTopic forum, and not necessarily the car itself, lol .
Well, I just can't resist, because I spent some time (2-years) in purgatory... er, midstate Illinois in the mid 70's. All you local corn-standers know where Gibson City is, right? LOL!

Now, I worked in Cable TV then. When I wasn't "on air" I occasionally sat in for the office manager at the front desk. Seems most farmers didn't trust the US mail, cause they would all bring their monthly cable TV payments to the office in person, in cash. Just to strike up conversation, I'd ask, "Well, how's your soybeans coming?" And they'd always say, "Crop's dyin' a thirst...planted 'em too low and the water can't get to 'em." Or they would say, "Heck fire boy, I planted 'em too shallow... the water's drownin' 'em out."

I quickly learned two things: 1) never ask a farmer how his crop is doing, and 2) despite all the b!tchin' they all drove new Buicks or Chevys to the Cable TV office to pay their bills.

No wait, I learned a third thing... I recall the only thing that caught more attention than one of them "furren" cars at the local Farm Implement store, was a corn-fed gal from parts West. Michelle, you ain't from Nebraska or Iowa, are you?

Last edited by MB-BOB; 07-08-2002 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
No one looks at me except for M3's, but that's a given.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Well, I just can't resist, because I spent some time (2-years) in purgatory... er, midstate Illinois in the mid 70's. All you local corn-standers know where Gibson City is, right? LOL!
I spent some time in perdician myself, Greensboro, North Carolina.

LOL
Old 07-08-2002, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230, 1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Originally posted by MB-BOB

Michelle, you ain't from Nebraska or Iowa, are you?
Nope, I'm Illinois born-and-bred......please don't hold it against me!!

I am just dying laughing at your discription of the farmers because that it the epitome of every older farmer I know.

My farmer friend....who is a nice, extrememly bright young man, not some old cooter....is NEVER happy with the weather or the rain. He moans non-stop about the government subsidies and the paperwork he has to do. But in the same conversation he talks about his new truck or his new minivan that he is now thinking of trading on a new 300M. He spends more on his dinner when we eat out than I make in a week ( kidding ) He has all the free time he wants after the crops are in and his wife doesn't work, so on hot summer days his family spends the day at the country club swimming while the rest of us toil away working 40+ hours a week. Then he doesn't understand why my boyfriend & I can't stay out late at thier home drinking on their deck till the early AM!

I don't mean to offend anyone who knows farmers, I adore my friend and wouldn't trade him for anything. I'm just jealous that he can't see how great he has it!!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:32 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by MsMercedes

Nope, I'm Illinois born-and-bred......please don't hold it against me!!

I am just dying laughing at your discription of the farmers because that it the epitome of every older farmer I know.
It's OK, Michelle. My wife is Illinois born-and-reared, too. From Belleville.

By your description of your "younger" farmer friend, he sounds more like the old ones than you think. All farmers have a complaint about the weather (young or old). Ha!