C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Dodging Heat!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Dodging Heat!!!!!

Let's say, for instance, you are speeding down a road when you see a cop. You don't have time to fully slow down and braking would just be too obvious. As you pass, you see his car slightly shake in your rear view mirror (assume he takes it out of park and puts the gear into drive). He starts to pull out but has to wait for oncoming traffic to clear. Assuming he is going after you, you speed up till the road curvature puts him out of sight, and quickly make a u-turn. Fortunately for you the divider between the bi-directional road is covered in trees so he can't see you if he's going the other way. As you pass him yo see his lights turn on as he speeds away from you. My question is this, if later on in the week he recognizes you, can he pull you over?

Remember, this is only a hypothetical, we are all law abiding drivers!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i don't think he can pull you over later on for something you did a while back.. coz he can be mistaken.. andhe may not remember the exact details.. cops pull people over everyday...
Old 07-09-2002, 10:33 AM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by Fuzzo
i don't think he can pull you over later on for something you did a while back.. coz he can be mistaken.. andhe may not remember the exact details.. cops pull people over everyday...
That's what I thought, Nice (I mean who ever did that is lucky )
Old 07-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
I'm not sure how the law works, but here's what I think: What this person did was fail to stop for a police officer. If by some chance the police officer was able to see the license plate and could positively identify the car, then I would bet that they could indeed pull you over a week later. Of course, for speeding, it's probably not worth it for the police officer, unless they catch the person speeding a second time.

Good Dukes of Hazzard move though!!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:59 AM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by revstriker
I'm not sure how the law works, but here's what I think: What this person did was fail to stop for a police officer. If by some chance the police officer was able to see the license plate and could positively identify the car, then I would bet that they could indeed pull you over a week later. Of course, for speeding, it's probably not worth it for the police officer, unless they catch the person speeding a second time.

Good Dukes of Hazzard move though!!

That's true, but the only difference is that the evasive maneuver was done before the cop even turned on it's flashers. The police officer technically never instructed the car to pull over since the chase initiated (siren on) once the car was already moving in the opposite direction.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
This is true also Boo2. In NC the cop has to observe you break the law to write a ticket or to pursue you. in NC they can not pull you over a week later for speeding. BUT, if they can identify the car and you evade police and get away. you better beleive that there is a warrent for your arrest, and you will get it up the ****!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:27 AM

MB coupe.
A little off topic.

When you see a cop coming towards you and your radar detector goes off, start braking hard! I understand that the instant on, Ka band radar, doesn't lock on a decelerating vehicle. It won't lock until you are at a steady speed, so you may as well be all over the brakes, 'cause he won't get a reading until you settle on a constant speed.

I've had some dirty looks from cops when doing this, but that is all. Don't be afraid to show obvious braking.

For now, Smoky
Old 07-09-2002, 11:28 AM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
I was pulled over for speeding a few days ago by a cop. These loosers sat on a corner at 7PM on Saturday. I bet they had nothing better to do.
He jumped on the road, in front of all cars, in their usual manner pointed at my car and directed me to pull over.
The speed limit was 50KPH (31MPH on a divided 4 lane road, nice eh?) and according to the goof-ball I was doing 69KPH, which I kind of doubt, but his argument was that the car beside me, which he didn't stop, was doing 62KPH and I was passing him
My radar detector did not even beep once (although I have turned off X-band and K-band on it, and they may have used an older radar)
So anyways, how can they prove in court that I have been speeding in the first place?
Old 07-09-2002, 11:29 AM

Re: A little off topic.

Originally posted by Smoky
I understand that the instant on, Ka band radar, doesn't lock on a decelerating vehicle. It won't lock until you are at a steady speed, so you may as well be all over the brakes, 'cause he won't get a reading until you settle on a constant speed.

That's a good info, Smoky!
THANKS
Old 07-09-2002, 11:32 AM

C32 AMG
Hopefully, because of my speed (50 in a 25) he probably didn't catch my license plate (I hope)
Old 07-09-2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Boo2
Hopefully, because of my speed (50 in a 25) he probably didn't catch my license plate (I hope)
... so it was YOU afterall !!!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:39 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by VoyagerDude
So anyways, how can they prove in court that I have been speeding in the first place?
Generally, it's been my experience that all they have to do to prove you were speeding is show up on your court date. The judges are always impressed by the uniform and the badge, and their word over yours any day.

Also, don't assume that because he hasn't "lighted you-up" that he doesn't intend to do so once he catches up to you. I once had a cop follow me a good 5-6 miles in heavy traffic before pulling me over. (I watched him carry on quite a converstion on the radio, checking for my priors). I took this one to court also... but no joy.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by MB-BOB

Generally, it's been my experience that all they have to do to prove you were speeding is show up on your court date. The judges are always impressed by the uniform and the badge, and their word over yours any day.
Yeah, given my speeding history the judge would make a correct decision (statistically) but still sucks.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:47 AM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by MB-BOB
...Also, don't assume that because he hasn't "lighted you-up" that he doesn't intend to do so once he catches up to you. I once had a cop follow me a good 5-6 miles in heavy traffic before pulling me over. (I watched him carry on quite a converstion on the radio, checking for my priors). I took this one to court also... but no joy.
Right, but my point was that it isn't considered "Evasion" until he lights you up. My maneuvers were done b4 he set "Official" chase. By the time his lights/siren was up I was going the opposite way and the cop was going full speed in his direction not once looking at me. I saw the whole thing happen from his turn from the lot to the road, to the lighting of his siren.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
as far as the car "noise diving" under braking that can be easily solved. Stiffer springs!. I'm gonna get them on my car soon. And hey I usually cruise about 5-8 mph over limit. Its enough to get a ticket if the cop is a jerk but just keep up with the flow of traffic is a good rule of thumb. Heck yeah I hit the brakes hard. even if he knows I'm speeding 10 over the limit and by hitting the brakes it brings me down to 5 over the limit and thats where he clocks me , thats all he could ticket me for. Then 5 over is always questionable by the radar being caliborated correctly and your speedo is right too. so when radar goes off hit the brakes hard. even if that cop knows your speeding but by the time he clocks you, you have decreased speed to legal limit of close to it, he is out of luck!
Old 07-09-2002, 12:57 PM

C240/6 Megma Red
Once I have ran away from cop, I do the green light drag lanuch. After I shift to 2nd gear about 50+ in 35 zone I saw him in the parking lot beside me and turn on the light. I speed up turn in to a next apartment complex before he get off the parking lot. I park the car turn off the engine and walk out to 7/11 in the front buy a nice cold drink. He drive by and did not see my car. I was shaking a little bit.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THAT WAS YOU?!?!?!

j/k
Old 07-09-2002, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ditched cops once for running a red light in NY by making a couple of clever turns down one way streets thinking the cop missed the turn so he wasn't going to backup in traffic to follow me. A few blocks later he runs into me again and stops me. He thought it was so funny that he let me off.

Also another time I was speeding with an officer in NY chasing me on a motor scooter. I punched it and left him in the dust and I never heard about it again. I was worried about the license plate deal but nothing. I guess it's hard to right something down when you are on a scooter.

In So Cal, the cops are not as forgiving as you can tell from all the car chases on TV.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:29 PM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
Cops respond to a variety of calls - for all you know he heard something over the radio where he was the closest unit in proximity and had to respond - could have been coincidence it was after you sped by he left and turned on the lights........
Old 07-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Unless it was blatantly obvious that he was after you (ie right behind you with his lights on) then I don't think they have a prayer of sticking an evading charge on you.

Back in 95-96 I was racing someone down this 4 lane (2 in each) highway w a 50mph limit. We were doing about 1-110 when I noticed a cop going in the other direction. I slammed the brakes and pulled into a housing development. Couple quick turns, parked on the side and turned everything off. Waited 5-10 minutes and went back down the same road. Guess who was pulled over on the side? Luckily they didn't see me or he was too busy with the other guy.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
OK since it's confession night...

In 1981 I was driving back from a friend's house in West Vancouver on the Upper Levels highway, from Caulfeild heading east, in my 1967 Peugeot 404 Injection Coupé. I still have one of these cars BTW, very nice.

No alcohol was involved. It was about 1 AM and I was cruising at about 105 MPH (very near top whack for that car). About 1 km west of the Cypress Bowl exit in the low-lying area was a radar trap, but the fuzzmobile was a Ford LTD. Back in those days cop cars were dog-slow, relative to today (bad emission controls and all). As I was about 200 m away, I had to make a choice: lift off and be nabbed or keep my foot in it and make the best of my speed advantage. Needless to say, had the cop car been a Mustang GT 5.0, I would have slowed, but I took my chances with the LTD.

I saw the blue and red christmas tree light up as I got level with the car and I just kept it planted, took her up to 110+ MPH at 6000 rpm and kept heading east. I turned off on 22nd which was about 4 km further east and turned down several side streets in W Van, making my way home via Marine Drive. That was easy meat - the guy could not see my license plate at that speed and the 404 Coupé was such a rare car even then that no cop could identify one at a glance.

I love this story, it was great! West Van cops are mean too, so that made it especially glorious. I have not had a speeding ticket in 12 years, not for lack of trying...
Old 07-10-2002, 09:56 AM

C32 AMG
Glad to hear some people are crazier than me!
Old 07-10-2002, 01:45 PM

All of the above
It's called fleeing and eluding!

In my mispent youth I had the pleasure of being introduced to the term "fleeing and eluding an officer after being given visual and audible warnings". They don't have much of a sense of humor after/if they catch you.

I had a 70 Dodge Challenger R/T (383/335 HP / 4 speed) that I managed to "elude" the man with on a couple occassions.

Once on the way to work: I am cruising along the highway at about 85 when i pass a state trooper who has just finished with someone and is returning to his car. I see him, as he is reaching for his door handle our eyes met (I was in the right lane and he on the shoulder) he jumped in the car and I jumped on the gas, put it up into triple digits for the next 5 minutes untill my exit and never saw him again.

Another time in the same car I'm about 10 minutes from home cruising along on the road that I lived on, passed a cop checking on a gas station on a corner. I was already going about 20 over the speed limit so I jumped on it. I flew home, pulled in the driveway, turned off the car and ran in the house just as he went flying by with all of his lights going.

The best was driving my Moms Renault Dauphine (known as the "Dope fiend") when I was about 17. It was the slowest car I have ever driven. I thought I was eluding as i turned a couple corners and pulled into a parking lot. The cop was laughing his *** off when he pulled in behind me, couldn't believe I was trying to get away from him in that little roach of a car.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Re: A little off topic.

Originally posted by Smoky
When you see a cop coming towards you and your radar detector goes off, start braking hard! I understand that the instant on, Ka band radar, doesn't lock on a decelerating vehicle. It won't lock until you are at a steady speed, so you may as well be all over the brakes, 'cause he won't get a reading until you settle on a constant speed.

I've had some dirty looks from cops when doing this, but that is all. Don't be afraid to show obvious braking.

For now, Smoky
Didn't know that, I thought it clocked you as soon as the beam hits your vehicle. So lets say I am going 100 in a 35, if the cop clocks me when I am at 100 and I brake hard to 50, he won't get a reading until I maintain a constant speed of 50 mph?
Old 07-11-2002, 12:37 AM

MB coupe.
My understanding, and my experience, is that if you see the cop, or your radar detector goes off, get on the brakes!

Now maybe, he clocked you before you got braking, but if it didn't lock on, it won't lock-on a rapidly decelerating car.

I don't care if he sees me braking hard, if he doesn't get a lock, usually all you get is a dirty look.

I've had dozens of these type of experiences, and few stops.

Good luck, Smoky

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dodging Heat!!!!!