C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

LATCH - Installing Child Seat in the rear-middle seat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LATCH - Installing Child Seat in the rear-middle seat?

Hi.. I am wondering if it is safe and/or possible to use the inner LATCH of both side to install the the child seat in the middle position in the back.

It is so crazy - knowing the middle position of the rear seat is the safest place for any child seat - and knowing LATCH is the safest way to install a child seat (I think). MB decided to NOT put LATCH anchor in the middle position!@#!$

Anyone? Feedback is much appreciated.. baby coming in 2 weeks..

Wilson
Old 09-19-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Thats where mine is. Shouldnt be any problem with it. I would rather climb in some to get my kid out instead of being lazy and subjecting him to any potential side impact.

congrats also
Old 09-19-2005, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by psk145
Thats where mine is. Shouldnt be any problem with it. I would rather climb in some to get my kid out instead of being lazy and subjecting him to any potential side impact.

congrats also
Given that baby and child seats dont come with a HANS device then any side impact is potentially lethal as the lateral support on the neck is severely reduced compared to the frontal support.

Any impact would generate something in the order of 2-20G of load which is far more damaging than people realise. Yes it may help to be able to get the child out from the middle but the injuries would already be caused by the impact not the bodywork falling inwards.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 AM

psk145, thanks for your comments... did you used the LATCH of did you use regular seat belt method for the middle position?

thanks!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:29 AM

2003 E55
Originally Posted by mrzone
psk145, thanks for your comments... did you used the LATCH of did you use regular seat belt method for the middle position?

thanks!
Use the latches on the center side of each of the window seats - it is much , much, more secure.

Baby in the center is best and works perfectly with the latches from the side seats.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by dcfsf
Use the latches on the center side of each of the window seats - it is much , much, more secure.

Baby in the center is best and works perfectly with the latches from the side seats.

exactly what he said. Make sure you get some rubber drawer liners or something similar to keep it from sliding too much left and right.

LATCH is the best thing to happen to baby seats. My wife's LX470 doesnt have LATCH, and its a pain to do the car seat.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:21 PM

2003 E55
oh yes - or one of those anti - skid rug things - that's what I use.

my 97 E420 doesn't have the latch - it's a pain!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Hi.. I am wondering if it is safe and/or possible to use the inner LATCH of both side to install the the child seat in the middle position in the back.

It is so crazy - knowing the middle position of the rear seat is the safest place for any child seat - and knowing LATCH is the safest way to install a child seat (I think). MB decided to NOT put LATCH anchor in the middle position!@#!$

Anyone? Feedback is much appreciated.. baby coming in 2 weeks..

Wilson
Which C class do you have and what year? My C230K 05 has latches for all three seats. Congrats on your impending birth!
Old 09-19-2005, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
you have 6 individual latch anchors? I have 4. 2 on the left side, 2 for the right. I use the middle 2 for the middle seat

also, mrzone, if you're unsure if you have the seat installed, you can probably take it to the police station, or local highway patrol and have them double check it for safety. I took ours to the CHP for my wifes car since we were total newbs.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:11 PM

thank you so much to all of your input.. i am both excited and lost... about everything.. being a first time father I am sure you all been through it...

I will install it today and bring it to a local police station as per the suggestion for check-up... great idea!

I have a 2005 C230 Sport 4 doors Sedan.. I think (not sure) I only have 2 set of LATCH on the window seat, not the centre seat.

thanks a million.. if there are more input and experience to share.. i love to hear it...

the anti-slip rug is a great idea also!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thank you so much to all of your input.. i am both excited and lost... about everything.. being a first time father I am sure you all been through it...

I will install it today and bring it to a local police station as per the suggestion for check-up... great idea!

I have a 2005 C230 Sport 4 doors Sedan.. I think (not sure) I only have 2 set of LATCH on the window seat, not the centre seat.

thanks a million.. if there are more input and experience to share.. i love to hear it...

the anti-slip rug is a great idea also!
yes, there are several places that will check your seat install. also, depending on your car, the middle seat may not be the safest place. park of the check will be the location and the type of carrier you have. they will decide what's best! i went through it 4 years ago and going through it again in january. babies are us also have information on local events such as car seat checkpoints.
i too have a c230k 4 door sedan, but have 3 latches behind each headrest. they are all covered with removable caps. not sure why you don't have a middle one.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by NO_WUR_E
i too have a c230k 4 door sedan, but have 3 latches behind each headrest. they are all covered with removable caps. not sure why you don't have a middle one.
those arent the LATCH anchors. The things behind the headrests are another restraint (I forget what they're called). The LATCH anchors are between the seat cushion and seat back. They look like squares. Hope that clears things up. Should only be 4 in the back seat area. 2 on each side.

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html
Old 09-20-2005, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by psk145
those arent the LATCH anchors. The things behind the headrests are another restraint (I forget what they're called). The LATCH anchors are between the seat cushion and seat back. They look like squares. Hope that clears things up. Should only be 4 in the back seat area. 2 on each side.

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html
Thanks for the clarification! Don't know what I was thinking of....
Old 09-20-2005, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
uh oh, just found something:

Can I use the two inboard lower anchors (of the outboard LATCH seating positions) to install my child seat in the rear center seating position?

A. No, unless both the child restraint manufacturer's instructions and the vehicle owner's manual specifically state that this is acceptable. A child restraint can be installed using the rear-center seat belt and, if forward-facing, the top tether anchor