C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Car Covers thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 11:51 PM
Deb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Question W203/CL203 Car Covers thread

My C230K should arrive in early Jan., it is scheduled to be built any day now (yea!), and I am wondering about pros and cons of using a car cover. My cars are parked under my house, but not in a closed garage so they are exposed to the humid, salt air of S. Fla. Also my neighbor's cats like to sleep on my cars, leaving little kitty tracks all over them. Given earlier discussions about MB paint, I am wondering if using a car cover is a good idea or not. The car will be driven very little during the week, so the cover will stay on most of the time. Am I likely to see more damage to the finish from the cover, or the cats, or the salt air? I presently have an MB car cover ordered from my dealer's accessories store. Thanks for any insights.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
uhm, as an architect (although not licensed in florida), i would recommend building a garage really. no? ok, then i think the car cover makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:13 AM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Thanks, Young, I think the car cover is going to be the obvious answer. Where I live, enclosing the ground level of stilt houses is extremely difficult because of strict building codes in a hurricane prone area. I am just concerned that the cover might scratch the finish.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Make sure the car is clean when you put the cover on. You don't want any sand between the car and the cover. Use extra straps to secure the cover, you don't want it the wind billowing under the cover and moving it over the finish. Buy a cover that breathes so that mosture car escape. Do not use plastic. Buy a cover which has a soft 100% cotton lining, if you can find one. And then after all that befriend an auto painter.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:33 AM

C230K
Hi Deb and welcome.

I did a stint in Clearwater and I would say that the salt is the most caustic thing that can touch your car.

Cats are cool, I have a Russian Blue, but that Na (sodium) is the worst.

I am not really sure if the cover would protect your car or not.

Would it just trap the humid salty air, or would it shield against it.

Good question and I woul also like to know as I live in a condo, glorified apartement, complex and the underground parking LEAKS!

And I just spent 4 hours washing my car yesterday and it rained today so I drove it, just so the water would be consistent, because I would rather have the whole thing wet then these little trails of water.... I am raniting...

I still wish a Gore-Tex cover was affordable?
Old 12-10-2001, 01:49 AM
Banned

'01 C240/6
I would definately use a car cover in your situation.

I would get a 100% cotton cover. Cotton is the easiest on paint (that's why detailers use 100% cotton). Any synthetic is going to scratch more than cotton.

Cotton also will NOT trap moisture. Is is very breathable (which is why 100% cotton shirts are comfortable)

Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories sell great, custom fitted 100% cotton covers. Try giving them a call.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Deb,
You should probably invest in some good wax and a good car cover. Don't try to do this on the cheap, or your Orion Blue will show it.

As far as covers go, there are some very good water proof, cotton "jersey" lined covers for far less than you'd pay at your MB store. That should protect your paint from the elements...except the salt air! The wax will help protect your finish from debris under the cover.

Now...about those cats...grow some catnip on the opposite side of your house from where the cars are parked. The kitty's will get so stoned, they'll never make it past that area...heheh

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2001, 11:42 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Deb, I used to have the "cat on the hood problem" several years ago. I was really annoyed at the paw prints.

The cats are lounging on your hood because they like the warmth. Maybe your house is also situated such that your carport is sheltered from the breeze, prolonging the heat retention in your car hood. A car cover might help mask the heat so that the cats get no benefit, so they may lose interest. Or the cover might retain the heat longer. I'm not sure.

Since you have a protected overhang over the car, I'd suggest visiting a pet store to buy some kitty repellent. Years ago, I used "Off" by Harts, but I also understand they have new stuff, like Bitter Apple or Bitter Orange, a spray used to deter cats from couches.

You could try spraying some of this on an old sock, and dangle it from a string just 3-4 inches above the middle of your hood. If the cats paw at it and then put paws in their mouths, they'll get the message. Or, you could give your car cover a light dusting of the stuff. The cats are sure to get it in their mouths, then.

BTW, I like cats just fine... just not as hood ornaments!

Last edited by MB-BOB; 12-10-2001 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:12 PM

The noah covers sold by MBZ are very good covers IF they fit well. There seems to be some variance from cover to cover. They are widely available through aftermarket dealers and you should be able to acquire one for 125-150, but that is for a decent cover. I agree, don't buy a cheap one. In addition, follow the aforementioned advice about cleaning the car prior to covering it and I highly recommend the wax if the cover will be blown about frequently.

I like kitty's too, but paw prints are a big no no!
Old 12-10-2001, 12:47 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
If MB is using "Noah" car covers, one the fancier models made by Kimberly-Clark (same guys who make Pampers), I can highly recommend them.

I have a Noah cover for my Miata, which when I lived in Massachusetts I used religiously. They are fantastic. They breathe through, yet hold water off car. They also work under snow, and store in trunk without hastle. They are thicker than most covers, but that is good, making it easier to roll on and off.

If you follow the instructions on the Noah manual, you can place and remove the car cover on a car without any 'sliding', so there's little chance of scratching. It also goes on and comes off very fast.

Rick
Old 12-10-2001, 02:34 PM
Almost a Member!

C32
MB Car cover

Hi Deb-

I've been using the MB car cover since the car was new (3 mos) and so far so good. My car is garaged so maybe its overkill. I just make sure the car is clean and dry and I don't drag the cover over the finish (roll it) and I don’t let the cover hit the ground and collect dirt. The instruction manual states the cover will allow any trapped moisture to escape but may leave a 'harmless' film if the car was dirty.

As others have said, make sure it tied down and doesn't flap in the wind.

I bet the cats will love the soft feel of the cover.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
ok....now...where to get a MB Noah cover for C H E A P ?????

Ok guys where's a good site...?

Thanks !
Old 12-10-2001, 08:51 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Hi Guys and Gals,
Thanks for all the terrific advice. I will definitely be using the car cover. And I'm sure the kittys will sleep happily on it, but I don't mind that, just the tracks. Luckily, we don't have sand, blowing or otherwise here, so I don't have to worry about that, just the grimy salt. MB's covers are expensive, but that doesn't surprise anyone. And, I can see wax in my future. Ugh.
I hate to admit it, but I actually dreamed that my car arrived the other night. Been waiting since early July, so it must be getting to me.
Thanks again. This forum is a great resource.
Deb
Old 12-10-2001, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i see the noah/mb covers from $155 at signature parts. interestingly, they sell tyvek (don't they make building insulation?) car covers. anyone try those?

you can also try clairparts but i think you need to call them to see if they have it - i was told they discount 20% but i've never ordered from them.

mercedes sells it directly for $198.

and of course, you may luck out on ebay...

btw, i can't recommend a specific brand (but people seem to like the noahs) b/c i've never tried them. sorry.

Last edited by young; 12-10-2001 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:58 PM

You can get a NOAH that fits the C230 for less if you buy it from any mail order auto supplier. It will be identical, but without MB logo. The Tyvek ones are horrible. They are thin and float around in wind, are not soft, and don't breath. There's a reason NOAH covers cost more. They are the world's largest pampers (if you look at them closely from the inside, you will see the instant similarity).

Rick
Old 12-11-2001, 11:49 PM

CLK 320 Cab
This is something I was planning on doing in my garage. We have a cat that likes to sit on cars and lots of dust from the workbench. Frame a large box out of 2X4s big enough for your car. Cover the frame with a heavy plastic and use silicon rubber to make the seams air tie. I am still working on how to seal the opening flap. I was thinking of a very long zipper but was unable to find one long enough. Another idea was to attach Velcro along the opening flap. I was able to find long strips of Velcro at the hardware store. I will let you know how things work out.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by RM11
This is something I was planning on doing in my garage. We have a cat that likes to sit on cars and lots of dust from the workbench. Frame a large box out of 2X4s big enough for your car. Cover the frame with a heavy plastic and use silicon rubber to make the seams air tie. I am still working on how to seal the opening flap. I was thinking of a very long zipper but was unable to find one long enough. Another idea was to attach Velcro along the opening flap. I was able to find long strips of Velcro at the hardware store. I will let you know how things work out.
I know someone who did the same exact thing. The door frame raised/lowered with its own garage door opener mechanism. Then he attached two powerful (and quiet) commecial sealed 8" fans on the front bottom corners, with filters, which run INTO the enclosed space, creating positive pressure. So dust is kept out.

Of course, he was parking a Ferrari in it, so the expense was more worthwhile.

Rick
Old 02-15-2002, 01:41 PM
benzomonterey

coupe car cover

Has anyone bought a car cover for their coupe yet??

I found this site today

Cal Car Covers
Old 02-15-2002, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Thumbs up CAL CAR COVERS

CAL CAR COVERS are GREAT!!
I have used them for most all of my cars,the covers hold up!
and dont scratch the PAINT
btw I have the covers DRY CLEANED 4 times a year to keep them up(get rid of the dirt) and the covers still look NEW!
Old 03-03-2002, 04:14 PM

2002 C240
2002 C240 car cover for sale

I don't know if this is the acceptable place to offer this but I have a Mercedes car cover with the Mercedes bag that I bought when I purchased the car. I have used it 1 time in 6 months and I would like to sell it. I was going to list it on Ebay but I thought I would check here first. It is in PERFECT shape and it fits the C240 perfectly. It even has pockets it it for the rear antenna and the MB star on the hood. It has a MB logo on the car cover as well as the bag that comes with it for storage. It is tilored to fit your Mercedes like a glove. Made from Noah, a UV-resistant, 3-layer fabric that breathes, this cover will protect your vehicle from harmful elements. I paid 180.00 I am asking 125.00. Anyone interested can email me at

pridge@swbell.net

I will be lising it on Ebay this week.

Thanks,

Chris
Dallas,Tx.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:18 AM

03 W8 Passat Variant
Has anyone bought a coupe cover? and if so which brand

I am looking for a cover in the Noah fabric. MB sells this one for 199.00.

I have also contacted a company that makes custom MB covers, I am waiting for a reply on cost.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:23 AM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
I've ordered the Dustop from California Car Cover Co.
(www.calcarcover.com) for 179.99; I'll post a verdict when I get it.

Nice slide show, benzo!
Old 03-06-2002, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking

Benzo - got a cover for my sedan today....FROM HERE ---

2002 C240 car cover for sale
I don't know if this is the acceptable place to offer this but I have a Mercedes car cover with the Mercedes bag that I bought when I purchased the car. I have used it 1 time in 6 months and I would like to sell it. I was going to list it on Ebay but I thought I would check here first. It is in PERFECT shape and it fits the C240 perfectly. It even has pockets it it for the rear antenna and the MB star on the hood. It has a MB logo on the car cover as well as the bag that comes with it for storage. It is tilored to fit your Mercedes like a glove. Made from Noah, a UV-resistant, 3-layer fabric that breathes, this cover will protect your vehicle from harmful elements. I paid 180.00 I am asking 125.00. Anyone interested can email me at

$110 !!!!$110 !!!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 01:16 PM

2002 C230 coupe
Does anyone know if there are any padded car covers for the coupe? I live 200 yards south and 40 yards to the right of the 14th tee at a country club. I need to find some golf ball protection, and quick. Its starting to warm up outside.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dude, I would suggest a garage !

or maybe sew 2 or 3 of the Noah car covers together ???

I'd still favor the garage tho !!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Car Covers thread