C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

05/06 Command froze?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2005 | 07:51 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
05/06 Command froze?

Strange question folks -- but I got in my car to drive home from work today and started listening to my music -- but on my dashboard LCD display, it said Audio... Please wait. This didn't go away for several minutes, and when it did - it showed Audio and then --- underneath, and I couldn't control anything with the steering wheel. Strange I thought -- perhaps a quirk....

I got home, turned the car off....locked the door and watched in amazement as I saw my command screen and entire radio still on.....Acquiring signal for satellite radio (I was in a garage)....

So I got back in, pushed the power button and the ring and eject buttons stayed illuminated.

I started up the car, turned it off, then started it again - and the screen on the dash showed Audio... Please wait. but there were no lights on the command system whatsoever this time (which happens to me often)....I pushed the power button...waited about 20 seconds...and then saw the Mercedes logo on the screen...and everything started up normal again.

Anyone have this happen to them or do I have a dud command system?

As I mentioned -- often I'll start my car and see no lights whatsoever from the command system...it'll just sit there in darkness until I press power and then it'll turn on + work properly.... normally there should be the amber ring and illuminated eject button...this happens to me quite a bit...but more when I'm listening to my ipod and turn off the car than any other source.

Input folks?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2005 | 08:11 PM

'06 C350 4MATIC
Command

With a new ride I would let the dealer work on it. It sounds like the problem happens enough that it should be throwing codes and maybe the service guys can see the fault happen.

The Command heads are so expensive that I wouldn't even be tempted to glare at it funny.
Old 10-20-2005 | 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
sounds like you have lost signal to CAN network.
Old 10-24-2005 | 04:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C320 Sport, 2006 ML350 (the wife)
Comand Freeze

Just got a call from my dealer who is currently working on this problem for me. he has informed me that it is a software glitch dealing with the iPod integration kit. It is going to require some type of upgraded part that is currently on "national backorder". However, he states that it is a known problem and that the part/upgrade will be a permanent fix for the issue.

I will update when they receive and install the part for me.

hope this helps
Old 10-24-2005 | 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
That't probably a CAN issue as the can signal goes to the ipod kit first and then to the headunit.
Old 10-24-2005 | 07:10 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Yes! That helps a lot... I will bring this up with my service rep when I meet him for my 1k/3k mile welcome service. Thanks!

- Eric
Old 10-25-2005 | 11:35 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
I had a similar thing happen the other day when I was listening to my iPod, but I don't have COMAND. In the MFD, it read Audio please wait, Phone screen said please wait. I turned the car off and the Audio headunit and an hour later it worked again. I will call the dealer and have them look into it. It has only happened once and I have had the iPod kit for a month now.
Old 10-26-2005 | 03:47 AM

05' C240 4matic
I have been having that problem twice in my car. The easiest way is to open the front hood, find the fuse box find the fuse for the comand, take it out and plug that back in. and voila ! Been to my service advisor before I use this way, but no luck from there either.
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:49 AM

SINCE on the comand issue...

has anyone had a problem with randomly loosing a radio station?

I have euro command... and everything worked fine up till about 3 weeks ago...

i can not tune in channel 93.3, it was a preset, but everytime i pushed "2" it would jump automatically to 94.1... if i turn to 92.5 and push seek, it goes to 93.5 or 94.1.. but never 93.3.. also if i hit * then manually type in 933.. it still goes to 94.1..

i don't really like the dj's on 94.1, which just irritates me even more...
no one seems to have this problem but me (well i not sure on other commands)...

is this a steve issue, is there a way to do a "reset"? or do i just have to learn to deal?
Old 10-26-2005 | 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
i think you may need steve to adjust the FM settings using his DAS
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:40 PM

thanks sunman...

i will send wanda an email!
Old 11-19-2005 | 02:54 PM

iPod Kit Issue, MFD error

Originally Posted by MVillareal
Just got a call from my dealer who is currently working on this problem for me. he has informed me that it is a software glitch dealing with the iPod integration kit. It is going to require some type of upgraded part that is currently on "national backorder". However, he states that it is a known problem and that the part/upgrade will be a permanent fix for the issue.

hope this helps
Anyone have a TSB or better yet a part number so I can educate the dealer about this? I need to get this fixed on my iPod kit as well.
Old 11-27-2005 | 08:04 PM

2017 E300, 2017 GL450
Originally Posted by MVillareal

hope this helps

Please update when you have any more information to share. I also have this problem and my dealer (Walter's in Riverside, CA) states that its a MB software issue and their is currently no fix available for it but i was encouraged to contact MBUSA and lobby for a fix.
Old 11-28-2005 | 02:05 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
My service advisor knew nothing of this -- but assured me I was at the latest software versions and that there might be a new version by the time I need a tire rotation...

If anyone finds out anything, please post... :-)
- Eric
Old 11-28-2005 | 04:51 PM

I do know a way to more or less avoid this. I have found if you turn the audio to radio or CD before shutting off the car, it is less likely to happen (if at all) the next time you start the car. The audio not displaying in the MFD was happening most of the time when the iPod was active when the car war turned off / then started. Let me know if that helps anyone out. Of course, the other way to fix it once the issue occurs is to shut off the car and wait for the MFD to go black then start it back up.
Old 11-28-2005 | 08:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Abspara
Please update when you have any more information to share. I also have this problem and my dealer (Walter's in Riverside, CA) states that its a MB software issue and their is currently no fix available for it but i was encouraged to contact MBUSA and lobby for a fix.
Spoke to my SA today during my "courtesy car wash" =-) and he stated that they were still waiting for the part to come in. He also assured me that this is indeed an issue that MB is currently working, however, the "memo" has not yet made it's rounds around all of the country's dealers yet.
Old 11-28-2005 | 08:56 PM
Almost a Member!

ALso, for information, this issue also occurs with my 06 ML350 Integration Kit, however, after about 1 minute of driving, the iPod kicks in and everything is fine. So basically, it's a similar issue, however, the MFD reads "----" instead of Please wait and when it happens, it is only a matter of time until everyting gets back to working function
Old 11-28-2005 | 11:17 PM

2017 E300, 2017 GL450
Originally Posted by SteveAustin
I do know a way to more or less avoid this. I have found if you turn the audio to radio or CD before shutting off the car, it is less likely to happen (if at all) the next time you start the car. The audio not displaying in the MFD was happening most of the time when the iPod was active when the car war turned off / then started. Let me know if that helps anyone out. Of course, the other way to fix it once the issue occurs is to shut off the car and wait for the MFD to go black then start it back up.
Interesting observation. I have tried workarounds over the past few days and have sort of come up with a similiar strategy. Like you mentioned, it seems to happen more often when the IPOD is active and then the car is turned off/on, however when the COMAND is set to something else (either radio or CD changer) then when the IPOD is activated, it does not happen.

So far today, ive been setting COMAND to something other then IPOD before i shut off the car and when i go to restart the IPOD on the next vehicle start up, it works fine.

Its definately not the most optimal, but its a good workaround in the interim time until a fix is available. I'll keep testing this out over the next few days and see how it holds out.
Old 01-05-2006 | 05:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Good news (so far). I recently had the module replaced on my iPod integration kit by my dealer and I'm glad to report that the problem has not yet returned. So far, the replacement module seems to have solved the issue. According to my service invoice, the exact title for the replacement part is the iPod Serial Interface Control Module

Hope this helps
Old 01-05-2006 | 06:18 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Oh this is good news! Keep us up to date if the problem reoccurs with the new kit -- but this sounds like a good thing to grab on my 5k mile tire rotation/checkup...

- Eric
Old 01-13-2006 | 09:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by dalazernet
Oh this is good news! Keep us up to date if the problem reoccurs with the new kit -- but this sounds like a good thing to grab on my 5k mile tire rotation/checkup...

- Eric
Just another quick update - going on about two weeks and still no freezing issues, hopefully this is it.

Will keep updating.
Old 01-15-2006 | 09:18 PM

Thumbs up Unreal!! THANKS Reindhar!!

Originally Posted by reindhar7
I have been having that problem twice in my car. The easiest way is to open the front hood, find the fuse box find the fuse for the comand, take it out and plug that back in. and voila ! Been to my service advisor before I use this way, but no luck from there either.

I have an E350 - 2006 - 400 miles - i take it to the car wash, and when i get in - the Audio and Nav said Please Wait then ----- - just like the posts above said...also - the door that covered the CD changer wouldnt raise...

SO - I pulled the fuses to the radio (6 and 28) - and put em back in - and UNREAL - the frickin thing worked??!!

400 miles!! What IS this issue? and man, THANKS for the fuse tip!!!
Old 02-10-2006 | 08:48 AM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Just bumping this message up because I had another command problem the other day.... Darn strange in fact. I was listening to the music in my car - I believe I was either listening to the ipod or the sirius satelite radio...

Either way, I turned off the car, opened the door and got out -- and realized...the radio was still playing! The command system was still on...playing as if I didn't just shut the car off..... Sooo, I pushed the power button....it went off, but the ring of light around the power button and the light on the other side that stay on when the car is normally on, but the radio isn't stayed on... I shut the door, locked the car -- peered it (it was night time)....and those lights stayed lit.... I got inside, tried the typical "Mercedes-Fix" of turning the car back on, then off ... still screwey... so I left it.

I came back later that night to go home (I was out at the time), and it had finally gone off. What the heck?

- Eric
Old 04-26-2006 | 05:34 PM

2005 C230 SS
I'm having the same problem with my IPOD Integration Kit and Command System. Every so often I get the "Audio Please Wait" on my instrument panel. It usually goes away if I restart my car and rehook up my IPOD. I've spoken with several dealerships in the DC area and none of them have heard anything about this issue or a fix for this problem.

I see that some of you may have fixed the problem. Does anyone have a TSB or part number or any other information that I can use to find a fix for this???

My Dealership has been of no help so any info provided would be much appreciated.. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2006 | 05:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by supernad
I'm having the same problem with my IPOD Integration Kit and Command System. Every so often I get the "Audio Please Wait" on my instrument panel. It usually goes away if I restart my car and rehook up my IPOD. I've spoken with several dealerships in the DC area and none of them have heard anything about this issue or a fix for this problem.

I see that some of you may have fixed the problem. Does anyone have a TSB or part number or any other information that I can use to find a fix for this???

My Dealership has been of no help so any info provided would be much appreciated.. Thanks.
Hey there, I had the same issue and my dealer ordered and installed the following part number: 6-7-82-4225 - iPod Serial interface - To date, there have been no recurrences of the "please wait" issue.

hope this helps

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 05/06 Command froze?