C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Benz quality gone downhill...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CL500
Benz quality gone downhill...

See below:

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/mbquality.htm
Old 07-18-2002, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't imagine MB quality going downhill, it was never uphill to begin with.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
i think the articles citing the warranty expenses skyrocketing are the most compelling evidence. DC really needs to do something about this, seeing as their chrysler brands aren't helping. the transmission quality in those is simply a joke. i say this from the experience of my dad replacing 4 (yes, FOUR) of them in his 2000 jeep grand cherokee, my girlfriend repairing hers three times in 3 months in her 95 dodge stratus, and my uncle replacing his in his 2001 dodge durango.

Old 07-18-2002, 03:34 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I can't imagine MB quality going downhill, it was never uphill to begin with.
Actually they were good in the higher end models, not the low ones.

This has been an issue echoing for the past year. What Mercedes has to its advantage is a Brand name that is associated with quality, rather than the product itself. When you shift focus from exclusivity to volume, there will usually be a slippage in quality. In today's modern society, Mercedes seems to be getting away with form and function. The C-Class looks good, but to me is put together kinda cheap in comparison to Mercedes' old standards. Advancement in technology is not an indication of an improvement in quality. All we can say now is that at least its a Benz!
Old 07-18-2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Boo2

The C-Class looks good, but to me is put together kinda cheap in comparison to Mercedes' old standards. Advancement in technology is not an indication of an improvement in quality. All we can say now is that at least its a Benz!
This applies to everything these days. For example look at how they used to build computer keyboards. You could sit on them and they would still work. Now they are made as cheap as possible. I suspect that even the highest priced MB has experienced cheapness to some degree.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:10 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
warranty costs

Well, you do have to wonder what they are thinking when they will spend more money to tear down, inspect and rebuild the trans in my c230 rather than just replace it. The service rep said he couldn't understand why they would do it that way unless they just want to satisfy their curiosity about why the trans was shifting so bad. But they are still waiting for parts to come in from Germany to do the job, so they are also paying for the rental car, and pissing me off. Pissing me off may actually cost them the most, since I am much less likely to buy another car from them. Having to order transmission parts from Germany is outrageous.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:21 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Bob, as moderator, shouldn't you delete this blasphemy?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
I don't think I should SoCal. What else would you masochistic guys have to talk about?

Of course, since you're all here, one grenade would get all of you. Got any handy, Wyatt? (Down, boy... just teasing!)

Last edited by MB-BOB; 07-18-2002 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:34 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
I wouldn't exactly consider a Mercedes as something sacred, though i'm sure many people worship their car - I guess what's valuable is relative.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
MB Quality has certainly slipped. It might not take much....

more to have me looking at Lexus. Yes, I know its not an MB, but finishing, sound system, service, etc. is top notch.

Suddenly, the SC430 looks OK. LOL.

Old 07-18-2002, 06:13 PM

2002 C320

I wouldn't exactly consider a Mercedes as something sacred, though i'm sure many people worship their car - I guess what's valuable is relative.
I worship mine. It's 3:10! I'm 10 minutes late for my afternoon prayer session. I'm off to the parking lot......
Old 07-19-2002, 02:16 PM

Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
basically most of the cars manufacturers are trying to cut on everything that they can to lower down prices and compete with competitors....you can notice most of the new cars have are getting more plastic parts inside instead of nice aluminum or metal ones...i think they just have to do this to cut down prices and compete.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:39 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by c230_2k2
basically most of the cars manufacturers are trying to cut on everything that they can to lower down prices and compete with competitors....you can notice most of the new cars have are getting more plastic parts inside instead of nice aluminum or metal ones...i think they just have to do this to cut down prices and compete.
Doesn't make sense in terms of the S-Class when Mercedes is replacing parts with plastic when BMW is still using the metal/aluminum parts. Also the fit-and-finish of the leather seats in the MBSPY review is not the first time i've seen that comparison.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:10 PM

Doesn't make sense in terms of the S-Class when Mercedes is replacing parts with plastic when BMW is still using the metal/aluminum parts. Also the fit-and-finish of the leather seats in the MBSPY review is not the first time i've seen that comparison.
I think BMW has been also been doing this. Just look a little closer and you will see they have cheapened things too.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:29 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by viper

I think BMW has been also been doing this. Just look a little closer and you will see they have cheapened things too.
Yeah, but not as much. And the idea is to be comparable if not better in quality than BMW.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:09 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Re: warranty costs

Originally posted by speedfrk
... Having to order transmission parts from Germany is outrageous.
When they had my car and waiting for parts from Germany, it took them more than 2 months before they got the parts. Good Luck.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:09 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by c230_2k2
Actually, I think that is only half true.

MB has definately "cheapened up," but "lesser" car mfrs have actually improved in materials and quality.

So, now, there is not a huge difference between cars any more, they have all started to move towards the middle.

Example: Compare a 1980 VW Rabbit and a 1980 MB in fit and finish, quality of materials, "feel" of the cars, etc. There is a world of difference. Same is true if you compared a 1980 Audi to a 1980 MB

Now compare a 2002 VW Golf or a 2002 Audi A4 or A6 with a 2002 MB. They are not worlds apart anymore.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)

I don't know about the BMW 7-Series, but the 3-Series is definitely lacking in any quality materials. Just look at the central cup holder area that looks like it was taken from a Corolla. Also, the 3-Series leather seats look awful after a year or two -- take a look inside one next time you walk by.

The C-Class looks good, but to me is put together kinda cheap in comparison to Mercedes' old standards. Advancement in technology is not an indication of an improvement in quality. All we can say now is that at least its a Benz!
I think the attention to detail is still very evident in M-B, especially the C-Class in relation to the E. Where do you see the "cheapness"?
Old 07-19-2002, 05:18 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
They air shipped the parts and they came in yesterday-but I won't get it back until next week since the transmission mechanic did not want to be hurried to get it done. That's OK with me! he said they were putting all new syncros and shifting forks in plus he would check every tolerence to make sure it was in spec. They were also going to drive it for an extended distance on the interstate to see if they could duplicate the stiff clutch problem. Hopefully, it will be done on monday.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by MarkL

I don't know about the BMW 7-Series, but the 3-Series is definitely lacking in any quality materials. Just look at the central cup holder area that looks like it was taken from a Corolla. Also, the 3-Series leather seats look awful after a year or two -- take a look inside one next time you walk by.

I will have to agree with this. The 3 series is not up to the standards of the other Bimmers. And don't get me started about the stupid window switches.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:16 AM

C32 AMG

You have to compare "Like" cars. If you look at the MBSPY article then you can see the difference. Using plastic crap on the C makes a little sense, but using it on the S is unacceptable.

I think the attention to detail is still very evident in M-B, especially the C-Class in relation to the E. Where do you see the "cheapness"?
Again, you are comparing the old E versus the C which has undergone a major facelift. I don't think you can say that about the new E - and like I said, "Advancement in technology is not an indication of an improvement in quality". I see some "cheapness" in mine, but then again, we have different cars!
Old 07-22-2002, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)

I would have to agree regarding the Bimmers, a friend has a 318 that's much newer than the Saturn I used to own, the interior of my Saturn wore better over 10years than the BMW. Didn't MT or R&T run an article about a year ago about the cheap materials inside the BMW SUV?

I think the C is pretty tight, interms of fit, finish and materials quality. The car is rock solid, no squeaks, rattles, etc.. The last Benz I was really familar with was my folks early 80s 300TD, so I'm no expert...but to me it has that same wonderful feeling of quality and durability. For the price, there's nothing else out there that has the same level of quality..at least on the Coupe, IMHO. The Acura RSX, although a nice car for the money, feels like a top trim Civic inside. Not bad, but not an MB, either.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:16 PM

MB C240, 2002
MB Quality

Folks,
I'm old, therefore old fashioned (I remember Lucas electrics in British sports cars in the '60's), but I'm impressed with the overall quality in most of the complex cars of this age. My 1st new Mercedes was (is) a '98 M-Class, which has taken its share of grief over quality issues. Mine had the driver's window switch replaced twice, and a transmission sensor replaced when the 4-wheel drive became 2-wheel drive while driving on sand. My C240 (5 months old) has no problems thus far. To be fair, my 2001 GMC Yukon Denali (boat puller) is over a year old with only a suspected computer problem because it occasionally fails to react to the key-fob unlock command and at the same time fails to open the garage door with the built-in button.
Bottom line, I'm sorry some have cars with problems, but I suspect the majority, maybe the vast majority of MB cars are at least above average in overall quality. I also believe if you total the number of "features" which may fail, the MB brand has excellent quality.
My bride of 32 years drives "her" C240 to work each day proudly! (all of 0.6miles!). She loves the drive, the back shade, the memory seats, the auto wipers, (the AutoClass CD changer!) and the trunk-open on the fob. I hate to think of what this car would be like if it had 1060 vintage Lucas electrics!!
GhiaDad
Old 07-23-2002, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: MB Quality

Originally posted by GhiaDad
I remember Lucas electrics in British sports cars in the '60's
Most would rather forget the Prince of Darkness.

My bride of 32 years drives "her" C240 to work each day proudly! (all of 0.6miles!).
Ooooo...can you say, "carbon deposits." Hope you borrow it from her occasionally to clean them out.

Cheers, BT
Old 07-25-2002, 04:02 PM

MB C240, 2002
Trench,

I, too, worry about carbon from my wife's short commute, so we use the C240 to visit my daughter on Orlando; about 100 miles of 80 mph interstate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Benz quality gone downhill...