C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Comparisons; Audi TT, 350Z, Beetle Turbo S, and a MB Sports Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't even THINK about the VW Beetle. That was the car I drove when I first had my license, and to be honest, if there's no troubles with the car, it'd have been a great car with a nice interior for its price, spirited feel and high quality for its class, but it has the worst reliability ever. I swear, in a period of 2 years, we had to replace every single part of the car! With the exception of actually replacing the whole engine and the shell of the car, that's about it. The CD player was messed, the ABS light kept coming on, the rear defogger wouldn't work, the power windows got stuck down on Christmas Day (wont' ever forget that, it was FREEZING and SNOWING ), the handle to move the front seats up snapped off, the mirror controls snapped off, the transmission broke (it's an auto! can't even abuse it), various engine warning lights kept coming up, the car just
died in the middle of the road on the second day we got the car, can't even list all the problems. Just DON'T get the Beetle! NEVER! What kind of German car is made in Mexico anyways?

I'd say try out the G35 too. I never drove that car before, but I've tried out the Maxima SE (same 260hp but FWD) and damn it's fast Well, at least it feels fast! And it's got 4 doors, something I see that you desire. And now that Nissan is a part, I think Renault, or some other European company, it's got a bit of an European flair. A bit.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:42 AM

2002 C230K
the beetle has that really irritating spoiler that pops up at 40mph and drops, really loudly at 10mph. that can be really annoying.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dswildfire
the beetle has that really irritating spoiler that pops up at 40mph and drops, really loudly at 10mph. that can be really annoying.
FYI, the spoiler pops up at 78mph, not 40.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:51 PM

2002 C230K
FYI, the spoiler pops up at 78mph, not 40.
are you saying then that Car and Driver made a really big typo?

"Another element common to these three models is a deployable spoiler, which resides just above the rear window. When the New Beetle made its debut, this device was programmed to pop up at 93 mph. This seemed a bit extreme to VW's U.S. marketing people, who finally got their colleagues in Germany to reduce deployment speed to make the spoiler visible in everyday traffic. But the compromise—40-mph deployment, 10-mph retraction—creates a problem. Deployments and retractions are audible, sounding like pieces falling off the car, and in urban traffic they're also frequent."
--Article in Car and Driver, March 2002, by Tony Swan

If they really did make a mistake, please, let them know.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
a Beetle does 78mph?

The beetle's spoiler is all show. Aerodynamic advantages of a spoiler arent even evident until the host vehicle's speed exceeds 80mph (ask any rocket scientist). You might feel a slight difference in the way the car slightly 'sits down' at oh...say 55-60, but it won't really handle any better until you hit higher speeds and create more downforce at the rear tires.

This is why I still laugh at the boys with park bench sized spoilers on Civics and Sentra's....
Old 07-24-2002, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by dswildfire

are you saying then that Car and Driver made a really big typo?

".....But the compromise—40-mph deployment, 10-mph retraction—creates a problem. Deployments and retractions are audible, sounding like pieces falling off the car, and in urban traffic they're also frequent."
--Article in Car and Driver, March 2002, by Tony Swan

If they really did make a mistake, please, let them know.
My Beetle is a 2000 1.8T. The spoiler pops up at 130km/h or 78mph (I am living in Canada). I've been complaining all along why the spoiler will pop up only at such high speed, I even asked my dealer to change it for me. But they said they cant do it.
I think C&D didnt make a mistake. The only reason that I can think of is either the newer Beetles have their spoiler deploying speed/time changed after 2000 or maybe US specs Beetles have a different setup.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
All I see around here are "old" ladies and highschool girls driving Beetles. Sorry for being so blunt, but that's my observation. I like the unique retro-modern styling, but I wouldn't be caught owning one.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Rick
a Beetle does 78mph?

Of course it can go 78mph! A 1.8T Beetle is not a slow car & its fun to drive. A stock Beetle probably cant beat a C230K but a Turbo S Beetle can go nose to nose with a C-coupe! I've to admit that the car has a few problems, but overall, its really not a bad car. From an engine standpoint, its well built. But from a design/appearance standpoint, it really depends.

Last edited by Harris; 07-24-2002 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:46 PM

red bicycle
Hey,

I also read that the Beetle's spoiler deploys at 45 MPH and retracts at 10 MPH...I read that from a review of the Turbo S on Forbes.com.

You would have thought that if VW would have designed in a retractable spoiler for the Beetle, they would have done the same for the TT from the beginning. Too bad...not so many people would have died in their TTs. Otherwise, the TT is a great machine.

Anyway, I've driven a 2002 C230K, 2000 VW Turbo Beetle (not the S), and a Mini.

C230K: I drive a 1996 C220 now, so obviously to me the C230K was fast as hell. I really like it, but I feel like a brat asking my parents for a new Benz. But it's basically the only car I can see replacing my C220...but I'm too attached to my car. However, I thought the 6-speed was too vague and the clutch too light. Otherwise, a fun car...still want one...

Mini: Cute looks, real car....unbelievable until you drive one. It basically drives the same as my roommate's 5-speed 328i. And it's cool with the glass sunroof (a la Panorama). It's a BMW in a British shell for a half the money. A fun car and great to drive, hands down. But the waiting list is ridiculous. My friend's parents bought one for the summer (the first off the lot...no wait or markup), and are planning to sell it at the end of the summer...probably for what they paid or more. Two problems: it has the CVT transmission and my friend seems to like it too much...

Turbo Beetle: Cute looks...ummmm...fun car, not that exciting to drive. And the 5-speed was so vague, I can't complain about the C230K. I still like it though...VW does a good job. My parents always promised me a Beetle since I was 8 (way before the new ones even came out), but I can never never see trading in my C220 for one.

Todd

Last edited by whatup?; 07-24-2002 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Cool

Originally posted by rrf
I suggest the Infinity G35 coupe based on what you are saying.
Perhaps one of the best normally aspirated V6s ever produced.
Infinity should have better interior than the Nissan too, and better overall quality.
Descendant of the Skyline. Nice looking car too.
TT is getting a little old.

Oh yes the G35 sedan just dislodged the BMW 330 as "best sedan", so.....

Anyway take a look at it.
I cannot believe what I have been hearing hear at this MB post. I have owned two japan made cars for about 10 years and they are the MOST reliable and great for value, but telling a potential MB owner to go to infinity G35 instead??? I think some of you need a reality check
I test drove the now infamous 3-series killer (G35) and let me tell you, I am not impressed! I hated the cheap look of the plasticy interior, the exterior is ok, but HOW COULD YOU CONSIDER a car with a moving in sycn instrument panel and steering wheel a serious car? The dealer tried to pass this off as a legendary style and function that previous cars had, should stay previous in my opinion.
Next, the cars instrument panel looks like a more expensive immitation of disgustingly small cluster mold of the Discovery II model. And of course, the power, what a 240+ horses??? I could not find how they got 240 or 260? number, can we say overestimating??? The car feels like my civic could contend. Sorry, but I am looking at a Benz as the winner and would definitely buy a lowly (civic looking) 3-series over an infinity. Not to be too strong languaged in my critiism, I am just not impressed by Japan's increasingly radical styling that seems to make their cars look more cheaper than quality and classic looking. My opinion!
Yacoub

Last edited by yacoub; 07-24-2002 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:25 PM

2002 C230K
but then again, you could wait a year, Nissan will actually be bringing the Skyline to the US. no more importing. a luxury car with twin turbos, now how much more could you really ask for?
and skylines are so easy to pump power out of, it's not even funny.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:06 PM
rrf

Blasphemy

yacoub,

Your opinion is important but pretty narrow. For a new car buyer to not even consider what several sources rate as the best because it is not Mercedes, well.... Mercedes just joined the lower price coupe/sedan fray and they have their own "issues" to contend with. Benz armor isn't bulletproof, by any means. Also, don't forget buying a C-Class doesn't exactly get us invited to the S-Class party.

Infinity/Nissan is obviously very serious about getting back into the sport sedan/coupe game. A nicely sized skyline-based chassis with very good handling, great brakes, Ward's top 10 motor (as always). It is fine that you didn't like the G35. But remember competition is a good thing. It is OK, Mercedes will survive.

You insinuate that my post doesn't belong...
BTW I own a C32, not a G35. Do you think the C32 dash is beautiful? A friend that owns a Cobra actually laughed at my tach yesterday! Bad news was he was right.

These are just cars we are talking about not a religion.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the reply rrf,
I agree that my reply to you was narrowly focused, and a little "strong," but after seeing and considering a C-class as an entry level benz, I still cannot see myself going back to another car. Actually, I wouldn't mind owning any German car now, Audi, VW and Mercedes are coming out with some nice offerings. And yes the Mercedes instrument panel is plasticky and cheap looking when it comes to the gauges (definitely needs improvement), but the car is solid as a rock, drives like a 80,000 benz and it's plastic is highly disguised in the rest of the interior. I think if I were ten years younger again, I would go ahead and consider buying the nissan/infinity, but as a CONSERVATIVE and somewhat older buyer, I thought it was undesireable. Especially at the same price of a C-class. So no ill feelings, just sick of seeing so many people praise a car that after driving and seeing it, I feel is not worthy.
Yacoub
PS. in response to S-class status, I thought I could hold my head up at the Ritz-carlton next time in my new C-class, oh well, LOL

Last edited by yacoub; 07-24-2002 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by yacoub
I agree that my reply to you was narrowly focused, and a little "strong," ...
ha, you think your opinion was strong? try these 3...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=1141
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=6559
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=10473

they're long but some very strong opinions are expressed.

this one is my favorite for being the dumbest...
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=6294

Last edited by young; 07-24-2002 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:43 PM

The Skyline is, in a way, out already, in the form of the G35. Don't count on the new GTR (I believe they are making the GT-R a separate line to the Skyline) to be as easily tuneable as the current R34 GTR since they are ditching the RB26DETT.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yacoub. I can't agree with you on the G35, I think it's ugly inside and out. I see one in my neighborhood every morning and I look at it and can't figure out why someone would get that over a Hyundai XG350, an Asian car it more closely competes with.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:38 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
bummer, looks like I missed a good one...
Old 07-25-2002, 03:17 AM

2002 C230K
I believe they are making the GT-R a separate line to the Skyline
yeah, you're right, it is a separate line. if you look at Nissan (Japan) website, they list the skyline and gtr as separate. the G35 is the r35 skyline. however, to keep competition with the Lancer Evo 7 (coming here supposedly May 2003) and the WRX (which around same time is supposed to have the STi version added) they plan on producing more r34 to be sold here, already compliant with federal regulations. this is all yet to be verified, but i read it off The Daily Auto Insider on Car And Driver's website several months ago.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:37 AM

C32 AMG
Re: Blasphemy

Originally posted by rrf
... Benz armor isn't bulletproof, by any means....
Unless you get the MB Guard upgrade!

Originally posted by rrf
Infinity/Nissan is obviously very serious about getting back into the sport sedan/coupe game. A nicely sized skyline-based chassis with very good handling, great brakes, Ward's top 10 motor (as always). It is fine that you didn't like the G35. But remember competition is a good thing. It is OK, Mercedes will survive.
Right on, quality Japanese cars that keep MB quality in check. Cheaper cars that come with comparable quality is the good that competition brings to the consumer.

Originally posted by rrf

You insinuate that my post doesn't belong...
BTW I own a C32, not a G35. Do you think the C32 dash is beautiful? A friend that owns a Cobra actually laughed at my tach yesterday! Bad news was he was right.

These are just cars we are talking about not a religion.
That's probably the thing I hate the most about the C-Class. The instrument panel looks like $h!t. Should have at least had the standard MB color combinations found on the CLK & higher models. Even the SLK has a better dash!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Well, if you have a C32, why would you need a tach? :p

This thread sure has gotten out of hand. Shouldn't people just do multiple test drives, and then decide for themselves? I don't see how choosing a car to buy should be a hard decision.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:24 AM
rrf

Right On

Tommy,

You got it!

This is a great time to be looking for a car, maybe the best time ever. Spend a lot of time and drive them ALL.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:56 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Re: Blasphemy

Originally posted by Boo2
That's probably the thing I hate the most about the C-Class. The instrument panel looks like $h!t. Should have at least had the standard MB color combinations found on the CLK & higher models. Even the SLK has a better dash!!!
Let's see. When I drive my car, I look at two things:

1) The traffic/road ahead
2) The instrument panel (when not #1)

Not to put too fine a point on it, Boo2, but if you really "hate" the "$h!tty" instrument panel, IMO you bought the wrong car.

Every car has its good and not-so-good points. There are many "wonderful" things about my C320, there are many "very good" things, several "good" things, and a few items are "acceptable." But I wouldn't park any "Hate" or "*****" in my garage... not ever.

Maybe you were just being dramatic...
Old 07-25-2002, 12:12 PM

C32 AMG
Re: Re: Re: Blasphemy

Originally posted by MB-BOB

Let's see. When I drive my car, I look at two things:

1) The traffic/road ahead
2) The instrument panel (when not #1)

Not to put too fine a point on it, Boo2, but if you really "hate" the "$h!tty" instrument panel, IMO you bought the wrong car.

Every car has its good and not-so-good points. There are many "wonderful" things about my C320, there are many "very good" things, several "good" things, and a few items are "acceptable." But I wouldn't park any "Hate" or "*****" in my garage... not ever.

Maybe you were just being dramatic...
Don't get me wrong, I love my car....but it just goes to show that nothing is perfect. Of course, with the type of car I wanted in my price range, my only option was the C32 or the M3. The C32 won because it had a 4 month shorter waiting list (both cars are equal in my book). My standards are lower then, cuz I have a "Nice" piece of $h!t parked in my garage!!!