C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

amplifier on Bose H/K sound sytems retrofit??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2005 | 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
amplifier on Bose H/K sound systems retrofit??

How the amplifier gets the power from the stock radio???
And could this be rettrofited on non H/K BOSE cars???

Could be a clean upgrade...
Attached Thumbnails amplifier on Bose H/K sound sytems retrofit??-scan0001.jpg  

Last edited by gaiex; 12-03-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2005 | 06:06 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Sorry gaiex, but there is no H/K BOSE system. It is either one or the other. For your coupe it would be BOSE. It gets its audio signal from the fiberoptics. Retrofits have been done at great expense. You'd be better off doing an aftermarket one.
Old 12-03-2005 | 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
The amp for either system gets power directly from the front left drivers side fuse box. There is no ignition sense wire on these amps as the power on and off feature is controlled via CANBUS
Old 12-03-2005 | 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by gaiex
How the amplifier gets the power from the stock radio???
And could this be rettrofited on non H/K BOSE cars???

Could be a clean upgrade...
Bose can be fitted to any car or if the car is 2005 spec then it can be Harmon Kardon. The coupe is pretty interesting because you have to remove the trunk lining and c-pillar to get the side lining out.

Other than that the actual install is pretty simple but you need a lot of skill to work on so many panels and parts of the car. With everything ready the car looks like a dismantler has been hacking at it.
Old 12-03-2005 | 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didn't explain in the correct way:
-I mean to say Bose and H/K sound system.
-when I sayed power it would be the audio line to amplifier

normally aftermarket head units have rca line out to amplifier units, but the MB stock radios doesn't, so, where the amplifier goes get the audio imput???

The retroffit is very expensive hummm, what else is needed beside Bose or H/k amplifier and sub???
any parts #???
Thanks guys
Old 12-03-2005 | 11:11 PM

C 230K Coupé
Do you think putting a better amp would show any improvements? With all the complaints about the BOSE and HK systems already it doesn't seem too promising...
Old 12-04-2005 | 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
I didn't explain in the correct way:
-I mean to say Bose and H/K sound system.
-when I sayed power it would be the audio line to amplifier

normally aftermarket head units have rca line out to amplifier units, but the MB stock radios doesn't, so, where the amplifier goes get the audio imput???

The retroffit is very expensive hummm, what else is needed beside Bose or H/k amplifier and sub???
any parts #???
Thanks guys
Old 12-04-2005 | 05:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by r3v1ls
Do you think putting a better amp would show any improvements? With all the complaints about the BOSE and HK systems already it doesn't seem too promising...
A lot of people complain about whatever they can find to complain about...apparently that is their nature. I recently bought a 203 station with the standard sound system and was already impressed with the quality of that standard sound system. I recently upgraded that to the Bose soundsystem and to me that is more then good enough...I don't care wether the neighbours can hear what music I am listening to - I just want a clean sound quality inside the car with plenty of volume without ruining my hearing.

gaiex: a bose amp, a bose bass box, a bose center speaker, swap all current speakers for Bose speakers, the wiring harness, fiber (to get the sound from the HU to the Bose amp), the Bose autopilot mic and the wiring for that mic...some bolts and nuts and LOTS of TIME to take all panelling and interior out of your car.

greetingz,
Old 12-04-2005 | 07:11 AM

2004 SL 350 & E class 200K avantgarde
Yes it's his choice. Whatever you got it is enough you have pleased and happy with them. I have a LYNN Unidisk and amplifier and speaker for my home theater , but I don't suspicious about HK in MY W211 will give happiness and satisfaction for my riding.
Old 12-04-2005 | 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
A lot of people complain about whatever they can find to complain about...apparently that is their nature. I recently bought a 203 station with the standard sound system and was already impressed with the quality of that standard sound system. I recently upgraded that to the Bose soundsystem and to me that is more then good enough...I don't care wether the neighbours can hear what music I am listening to - I just want a clean sound quality inside the car with plenty of volume without ruining my hearing.
Dito... ,My mom wagon have H/K also and it sounds so good

So, I have to install all the speakers??? Doesn't work with after market speakers (I have upraged them) and bose amp+sub?

Any idea how much would be the full upgrade?
Thanks guys
Old 12-04-2005 | 04:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Doesn't work with after market speakers (I have upraged them) and bose amp+sub?
NO, the bose system uses different impedance for the speakers.

greetingz,
Old 12-04-2005 | 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
I changed everything out except my head/navi unit. I installed 2-amps 2-subs and replaced all interior speakers.

ps. No highs ? No lows ? > Must be Bose
Old 12-04-2005 | 05:58 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 C230 SS Black on Black
Originally Posted by benzondubz
I changed everything out except my head/navi unit. I installed 2-amps 2-subs and replaced all interior speakers.

ps. No highs ? No lows ? > Must be Bose
Which line converter did you use to go to rca's to feed your amps? I can't remember the official name of them but Car Toys showed me one around $300.

I have MB quarts/Alpine 5 channel amp/subwoofer from my last car, Car Toys said they could install no problem into my benz for a cool $1600 (including the line converter thing).

Of course to do this I would be pulling the H/K system which is not bad, but not great to my standard... ask me why I bought the car with that option and don't like it!

Mike
Old 12-04-2005 | 07:18 PM

C 230K Coupé
So, I have to install all the speakers??? Doesn't work with after market speakers (I have upraged them) and bose amp+sub?
Wait if you already upgraded the speakers, why do you want to install a BOSE system then? Just upgrade your speakers with other aftermarket parts. BOSE has to many compatibility problems with other speakers etc.
Old 12-04-2005 | 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by r3v1ls
Wait if you already upgraded the speakers, why do you want to install a BOSE system then? Just upgrade your speakers with other aftermarket parts. BOSE has to many compatibility problems with other speakers etc.
yes, and I was asking if It was possible to install a bose sub with my aftermarket speakers... for what I read till now I don't think its possible
Old 12-04-2005 | 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by genesis471
Which line converter did you use to go to rca's to feed your amps? I can't remember the official name of them but Car Toys showed me one around $300.

I have MB quarts/Alpine 5 channel amp/subwoofer from my last car, Car Toys said they could install no problem into my benz for a cool $1600 (including the line converter thing).

Of course to do this I would be pulling the H/K system which is not bad, but not great to my standard... ask me why I bought the car with that option and don't like it!

Mike
Pay the 1600 Mike ! or I would call around a bit for another price on the install ? You have some good components so do it.. If you like it loud and Clean ? Then you have to do it If you listen to talk radio then the H/K is fine. Just my .02
Old 12-04-2005 | 10:20 PM

C 230K Coupé
yes, and I was asking if It was possible to install a bose sub with my aftermarket speakers... for what I read till now I don't think its possible
Well anything is possible with the right amount of money... But in your case i think it would be smarter to also get an aftermarket sub. All the hassle and money dealing with the bose sub installation just isn't worth it.
Old 12-04-2005 | 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
300 dollars for a line converter? You must be talking about something similar to the one audiocontrol makes. Which line converter is worth using on stock system.....lol... try a 30 dollar one . 300 dollars.. lol... better to get a nice new HU......... there are some nice eclipse HU's with high preamp voltages for around 400-650 dollars if I remember right. btw.... just changing to a good HU and leaving the speakers stock is a WORLD of difference... quite impressive to be honest. At least MB didn't put sh*t for speakers...... the stock HU sucks though.. once you dump it you want to kick yourself for not swapping it out earlier.
Old 12-11-2005 | 08:08 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 C230 SS Black on Black
That's what I'm saying.. $300 is steep for a line converter. Maybe it is the one you mention, can't remember.
I kind of think an aftermarket HU would ruin the finish of the car, don't you? I won't argue with you about the stock HU though, it does have it's limits!

Benzondubz, do like the sound LOUD and clean! No talk radio for the most part... rarely do I listen to it let's put it that way. And you are right I need to do some checking around on labor prices for the install. Hell I already own the components, I think they kind of saw me coming!

Mike