C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mobil One

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 02:19 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Moviela
No, won't hurt anything, as all synthetics mix together well. The difference between 30 and 40 is small, but the 0W-40 oil might have an improved additive package to meet the tough MB 229.5 spec. The dealers computer is probably not current, or a loose nut on the keyboard pushed the wrong button. They should all be using 0W-40 on 2005 cars.
dealership usually put 0w-40 when ever they have them. if not they use other grades of Mobile 1. They all mix very well like you said.

I missed the day when they had the Mobile 1 15w-50 for high working temperture engines. Those worked perfectly during the summer. I still have 3qt of it.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Originally Posted by FrankW
MB/AMG recommand 0w-40...but you can use 10w-40. the engine will be quieter, however you'll most likely feel it's harder to rev the engine.
Originally Posted by wingless
According to the manual, if this information is followed, "engine damage is possible, which is not covered by the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty."
that's if you use non synthetic oil.
Is there MB documentation, which is more current than the manual that I referenced, which states either that Mobil 1 10W-40 is acceptable or that any synthetic oil is acceptable, for usage in MY 05 vehicles?
LOL...if you want to get stuck with using only 0w-40 all the time, be my guest. The car's not limited to run just 0w-40. You can choose different grades depending on the climate.
So you don’t have MB documentation that is more current than the one I listed? So you don’t have MB documentation that supports your positions that any synthetic oil is acceptable or that Mobil 1 10W-40 is acceptable for MY 05 vehicles?

Sure, disregard the instructions in the MB manual. Clearly you have greater knowledge than the MB engineers, who bothered to define explicit requirements.

BTW, the manual does not limit the vehicle to 0W-40, or to Mobil 1. With all the various posts admonishing members to RTFM, I am surprised to observe all those who still fail to follow that advise.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=wingless:Sure, disregard the instructions in the MB manual. Clearly you have greater knowledge than the MB engineers, who bothered to define explicit requirements..[/QUOTE]

These are from my "Factory Approved Service Products" booklet dated Oct'00 for my '01 model car and it is good for FSS equiped vehicles back to '98. I have the same engine as you. Sorry about the poor quality of pictures....no scanner.
Attached Thumbnails Mobil One-im000764.jpg   Mobil One-im000765.jpg  
Old 01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
No, won't hurt anything, as all synthetics mix together well. The difference between 30 and 40 is small, but the 0W-40 oil might have an improved additive package to meet the tough MB 229.5 spec. The dealers computer is probably not current, or a loose nut on the keyboard pushed the wrong button. They should all be using 0W-40 on 2005 cars.
here's an update... I went to pep boys this morning b/c I could have sworn that I saw 0W-40 there last night (but I actually saw that at target), and since they didn't have it and I was late for work, I just drove the 20 miles to work. then, I called up Beverly Hills LTD MB and told them my situation and they said just come in and they can take care of it.

so I went 30 minutes ago on my lunch break and they basically just added oil (and windshield washer fluid) in the driveway. they didn't even write me up or anything, I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. my only thing was that they added oil from a clean unmarked container... I have no clue what viscosity or what that was. oh well... less than 2400 miles till Service B. at least when I checked my MFD it said my oil level was ok.

thanks for the help!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by nlpamg
here's an update... I went to pep boys this morning b/c I could have sworn that I saw 0W-40 there last night (but I actually saw that at target), and since they didn't have it and I was late for work, I just drove the 20 miles to work. then, I called up Beverly Hills LTD MB and told them my situation and they said just come in and they can take care of it.

so I went 30 minutes ago on my lunch break and they basically just added oil (and windshield washer fluid) in the driveway. they didn't even write me up or anything, I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. my only thing was that they added oil from a clean unmarked container... I have no clue what viscosity or what that was. oh well... less than 2400 miles till Service B. at least when I checked my MFD it said my oil level was ok.

thanks for the help!
Beverly Hills LTD MB? Is this BH MB on Beverly Blvd., Phil? If it is, that's the dealership I normally go to.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
These are from my "Factory Approved Service Products" booklet dated Oct'00 for my '01 model car and it is good for FSS equiped vehicles back to '98. I have the same engine as you.
Thank you for posting these images. It provides a historical perspective for the earlier vehicles.

The more-current document I referenced, groups MY '98 through MY '04 vehicles together with one set of acceptable oils, while MY '05 vehicles have a different set of acceptable oils.

I just drove the 20 miles to work. then, I called up Beverly Hills LTD MB and told them my situation and they said just come in and they can take care of it.

so I went 30 minutes ago on my lunch break and they basically just added oil (and windshield washer fluid) in the driveway. they didn't even write me up or anything, I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. my only thing was that they added oil from a clean unmarked container... I have no clue what viscosity or what that was.
Some forum members maintain an inventory of spare acceptable oil on-board, in anticipation of this expected event.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drexappeal
Beverly Hills LTD MB? Is this BH MB on Beverly Blvd., Phil? If it is, that's the dealership I normally go to.
yep, that's it. I used to go there with my w202 but they charged waaay too much compared to HOI and DTLA Motors, and they used to give me Corollas as loaner cars. now however, I may start going back there!

Some forum members maintain an inventory of spare acceptable oil on-board, in anticipation of this expected event.
I wish I was that prepared. I think I will buy a quart next time I'm in target just as a spare. I honestly hate bringing oil in the car with me b/c I'm always scared of having it spill or have it catch on fire (which is pretty dumb on my part)...
Old 01-03-2006, 06:43 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
So you don’t have MB documentation that is more current than the one I listed? So you don’t have MB documentation that supports your positions that any synthetic oil is acceptable or that Mobil 1 10W-40 is acceptable for MY 05 vehicles?

Sure, disregard the instructions in the MB manual. Clearly you have greater knowledge than the MB engineers, who bothered to define explicit requirements.

BTW, the manual does not limit the vehicle to 0W-40, or to Mobil 1. With all the various posts admonishing members to RTFM, I am surprised to observe all those who still fail to follow that advise.
don't have to because mleskovar just posted what I wanted to post. I have those in both my sister's 2000 CLK320 as well as my 2002 C32.

please stop acting like it's the first time everyone else had ever owned a MBZ.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:48 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Thank you for posting these images. It provides a historical perspective for the earlier vehicles.

The more-current document I referenced, groups MY '98 through MY '04 vehicles together with one set of acceptable oils, while MY '05 vehicles have a different set of acceptable oils.

what's that got to do with it?

the 320 engine in the C-class remain unchanged from 2001-2005. They have a different set of oil list because some of the manufacturer have discountinued some of the grades that were listed. It's not because the engine has changed.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
yep, that's it. I used to go there with my w202 but they charged waaay too much compared to HOI and DTLA Motors, and they used to give me Corollas as loaner cars. now however, I may start going back there!
Dude, if you go there, go to Danny! That's my SA. He's a good guy. Didn't even give me a hard time with my TEIN's. He's the only reason I stayed there because the rest of the SA's weren't very friendly to me (cuz I looked like a H.S. kid - pre-judgment). Anyways, if you want a benz loaner there, you normally have to ask for one in advance. Some strange thing they have since Enterprise provides rentals for them also.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drexappeal
Dude, if you go there, go to Danny! That's my SA. He's a good guy. Didn't even give me a hard time with my TEIN's. He's the only reason I stayed there because the rest of the SA's weren't very friendly to me (cuz I looked like a H.S. kid - pre-judgment). Anyways, if you want a benz loaner there, you normally have to ask for one in advance. Some strange thing they have since Enterprise provides rentals for them also.
thanks man! I will do that. the guy I used to go to at DTLA Motors (Scott) is now gone, so I may look for a new place. and, I think I shall be in the market for the springs by mid-month... I will let you know! thanks!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:20 AM

2010 C300

What the hell are you doing on a forum if you believe anything and everything just because MB said so? How many times has someone here gone to the dealer and been given some BS advice?

Do you even understand what the numbers mean? Different climates/conditions require different viscosity oils. Using Mobile 1 10w40 is not going to void his warranty. It's in the range of recommended viscosities, and a recommended brand. And I'd be willing to bet there's dealerships out there using it in the cars. And I'm not positive if it would cover fluid changes - but wouldn't the Magnuson-Moss act prevent MB from even being able to void the warranty?

MB didn't avoid specifying other weights/brands/etc because the oil won't work... it's because there is no possible way to include EVERY combination that works - the list would be endless and ever-changing. (No, I don't know this for a fact - but as an engineer who writes specifications, I deal with similar situations ever day). Not to mention if they had to address which oil to use for which conditions - it'd be way over the head of many MB drivers.

Yes, in general, it's a good idea to follow the manual - but it doesn't address everything. It can't, the manual would be huge. MB gives the tire pressures on the car - but they're not the best pressures to use for all driving purposes, conditions, and tires. Just another example of where they provide a "base case," but don't address every possible combination.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=wingless]The more-current document I referenced, groups MY '98 through MY '04 vehicles together with one set of acceptable oils, while MY '05 vehicles have a different set of acceptable oils.QUOTE]

Your engine and mine are identical so that doesn't make sense. The original poster has a 4 cylinder, supercharged, totally different engine. If you look at what's acceptable just about any weight is OK until you get to -5F and 20W stops being recommended. On my chart the upper limit of 86F and above is covered by everything from 0W-30 to 20W-50.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:09 PM

what's that got to do with it?
Uh, everything. This is the document that defines the maintenance product requirements for the vehicle.

the 320 engine in the C-class remain unchanged from 2001-2005. They have a different set of oil list because some of the manufacturer have discountinued some of the grades that were listed. It's not because the engine has changed.
Does this make sense to you? Within the document I referenced, as I've stated, it defines one set of acceptable oils for '98 to '04 AND another set for '05.

So, if as you've stated, the engine oil requirements are unchanged between the two groups, why would there be two tables in the manual? Presumably oil grades were not discontinued between the manual’s editor typing of one table and the next.

don't have to because mleskovar just posted what I wanted to post.
Actually, as mleskovar stated, the document he referenced is an older version, issued for MY ’01 vehicles. This has been superceded by the document I have referenced. Instead, the information posted by Moviela, who has an ’05, agrees with the more current document I’ve been referencing.
The oil should meet MB 229.5 specification.
I have those in both my sister's 2000 CLK320 as well as my 2002 C32.

Using the Internet requires the ability to identify good information from bad. With each of your posts, that contained information that contradicts the information provided by MB, I posed the question asking for the reference document that supports that post.

There should be no confusion about the validity of the information presented. On one hand MB documentation is cited, chapter and verse, on the other hand anecdotal references to sibling’s vehicles are used.

Originally Posted by HoustonC230
What the hell are you doing on a forum if you believe anything and everything just because MB said so? How many times has someone here gone to the dealer and been given some BS advice?
What supports that position? Statements have been made without supporting documentation. I have questioned the basis for those statements.

Using Mobile 1 10w40 is not going to void his warranty. It's in the range of recommended viscosities, and a recommended brand. And I'd be willing to bet there's dealerships out there using it in the cars. And I'm not positive if it would cover fluid changes - but wouldn't the Magnuson-Moss act prevent MB from even being able to void the warranty?
MB defines specific requirements and also states that not following those requirements can affect the warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 prohibits requiring tie-in sales, for example: only MB brand oil may be used or the warranty is void. It does, however, permit specifying specific requirements, in this case for the oil. MB permits any oil, that satisfies the 229.5 specification to be acceptable in MY ’05 vehicles. The manual defines three acceptable alternatives.

In a situation like that should your post be brought to the dealership to resolve any warranty disputes?

MB didn't avoid specifying other weights/brands/etc because the oil won't work... it's because there is no possible way to include EVERY combination that
This statement is incorrect. As I’ve previously stated, which you’ve quoted, the document I’ve referenced permits other weights and brands.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:13 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
all in all, you still haven't answered the question "Do you even understand what the numbers mean? "

Old 01-05-2006, 12:31 AM

This link has very complete listings for all the MB oil classifications. As previously stated, MY '05 vehicles require MB sheet 229.5 oils. Also, MY '98 through MY '04 require sheet 229.3 oils, but may use 229.5 oils, but those require the fleece filter.

Of particular interest is this information, contained within the link:

some oils which are not recommended:
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-30 SL/SJ/CF A1/B1/A5 9.7 doesn't meet 229.1 nor ACEA A2 or A3
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 SL/SJ/CF A1/B1/A5 9.8 doesn't meet 229.1 nor ACEA A2 or A3
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 10W-30 SL/SJ/CF A1/B1/A5 10.1 doesn't meet 229.1 nor ACEA A2 or A3
These 3 oils do not meet MB spec of > 3.5 cP for high temperature high shear strength.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:11 AM

Mobil 1 10W-40, which has been suggested as an acceptable option, includes these approvals: SL; SJ; A3 and B3.

According to this link oils with those approvals are acceptable for MY '97 and earlier. Additionally, the link states those oils are acceptable "only if MB sheet 229.3 or 229.5 is not available".

The linked information includes a page from the MY '02 M-Class manual, which states: "Approved engine oils (synthetic/mineral) may be mixed. However, we only recommend mixing engine oils of the same quality grade and SAE class.”
Old 01-06-2006, 08:20 AM

2010 C300
all in all, you still haven't answered the question "Do you even understand what the numbers mean? "

Still no answer.... must not be written in a MB specification.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:35 PM

just wondering if you know what the number actually means if the only thing you know is to follow the manual?
Still no answer.... must not be written in a MB specification.
It is my hope to face this adversity with (centi-) poise.

My review of my posts does not reveal any claims, by me, of expertise in viscosity. That appears to be a slippery topic.

My plan is to continue providing correct information, with supporting documentation. I’ll leave my detractors to continue to provide the opposite.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:40 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
It is my hope to face this adversity with (centi-) poise.

My review of my posts does not reveal any claims, by me, of expertise in viscosity. That appears to be a slippery topic.

My plan is to continue providing correct information, with supporting documentation. I’ll leave my detractors to continue to provide the opposite.
so you don't know what they mean? how do you provide correct information if you don't know what they mean? what good of your information is if you don't know what you are talking about?

no wonder Axxis didn't even bother listening to your post.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beep
this thread got way to complicated.

I already put in the 0w-40... so o well!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Axxis22
Yea its 5.8qt. Which Mobil One would you guys recommend?

Ive looked in the manuel.
What information is provided on pages 2 through 5 of your manual titled: "Factory Approved Service Products June 2004" that is in the Owner's Manual case?
Do these pages have the answer to your question?
No I checked. I know its mobil one.. but there are different kinds
My manual contains explicit definitions for three oils that are acceptable for usage on MY 2005 vehicles.
I bought 0w-40 cause they didnt have 10w
this thread got way to complicated.

I already put in the 0w-40... so o well!
What information is presented on pages 2 through 5 of your manual titled: "Factory Approved Service Products June 2004" that is in the Owner's Manual case?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
does 02 C320 also use 0w-40? how many quarts? thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
You can use 0W 40 Mobil 1 that meets sheet 229.5 specification. The oil bottle will quote that number (229.5) if it meets the spec. It is usually in the fine print on the back label.

If, and only if, you buy a fleece filter you can extend the service interval to 1 year or 13000 miles, which ever occurs first. This filter and oil combination allow the extended service interval, and can be used on older W203.

Good news oil fans, a sponsor of this forum now carries the fleece filter in a Mann-Hummel package. Performance Products in Van Nuys has them. Part no. 18-095 is a Mann HU718/5X. It comes with the o rings for $ 15.85 plus packing and post. Performance Products web site is wrong, it shows different filters for this Mann filter which is the preferred replacement by Mercedes Benz. Might be good to call them and inquire (800) 752-6268.

My C240 which I have read is a similar block to the C320, holds nearly eight (8) quarts of oil.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 Sports Coupe 2003
hmm

I recently did my first oil change on my MB. I put in 6 bottles of 10w-30.... After it was in I realized I was suppose to put 0-40. How will this effect my car? and should I do a oil change again so get some new 0-40 in there let me know thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobil One