C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How can make sure engine oil was changed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can make sure engine oil was changed?

This is my first post here. I have a 2002 C240 and have learned a great deal from this forum.

I took the car to the dealer for oil change, later, I opened the hood for curiosity. Interestingly, I did not see any sign that the oil cap was opened, (the engine top is dusty so there should have been some marks). It has happened once to me before (on a different car) so it won't heart to be careful. In absence of dipstick, how can one check if the engine oil was changed?

Happy New Year and thanks for your help.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
The engine cover does not have to be touched to change the oil. Unless you analyze the oil the only way to tell is mark the oil removal tube cover and/or filter housing cap so when they are removed the mark is broken or falls off.....like with a dot of clear nail polish. I once thought a lube shop did not change my daughter's oil or filter after removing about 20 oz. of black oil (it was overfilled 2 qts.!!!) and showing them...and the fact that the filter still had road grime after only 3 miles of driving! They changed it but said they weren't obligated to and "oil can get dirty after just running the engine for 5 minutes" and the filter dirty "after just going around the block." It boils down to your word against theirs unless you have some proof.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:10 AM

oil change

hello...happy new year.... its really better if you use the dipstick to check your oil condition. it was primarily designed for that....and while at that you might want to check the oil level and likewise check the thickness or thinness of the oil using the dipstick as a gauge for the viscosity of the oil. i think that new oil is different from oil used for a thousand miles. you dont have to have tr ained eyes to spot the difference .it would definitely be thinner and drip off the stick quicker if it was new than used oil which would rather drip slowly. but if you really want to be sure that the oil was change without using the dipstick as an aid, then i suggest you take your car to a trusted mechanic and let him do the work for you... prosperous new year to all!
Old 01-01-2006, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F10
Originally Posted by coupesleek
hello...happy new year.... its really better if you use the dipstick to check your oil condition. it was primarily designed for that....and while at that you might want to check the oil level and likewise check the thickness or thinness of the oil using the dipstick as a gauge for the viscosity of the oil. i think that new oil is different from oil used for a thousand miles. you dont have to have tr ained eyes to spot the difference .it would definitely be thinner and drip off the stick quicker if it was new than used oil which would rather drip slowly. but if you really want to be sure that the oil was change without using the dipstick as an aid, then i suggest you take your car to a trusted mechanic and let him do the work for you... prosperous new year to all!
i would follow your suggestion 100% except for one important thing... how do i do it without a DIPSTICK? we got no freakin dipstick!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by RedW203
Originally Posted by coupesleek
i would follow your suggestion 100% except for one important thing... how do i do it without a DIPSTICK? we got no freakin dipstick!!!
It appears that coupesleek is the dipstick in this scenario. (j/k)
Old 01-01-2006, 03:49 PM

'02 MB C240 6spd / '92 BMW 325i 5spd
That's why I do all the maintnance myself. I dont trust dealers very much.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:03 PM

F10
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
It appears that coupesleek is the dipstick in this scenario. (j/k)
i was trying hsrd not to say that... guess somebody has to huh
Old 01-01-2006, 08:14 PM

oil change

hahahaha... i was referring to his other car wherein he was victimized too. it applies to all engines with a dipstick. however since our oil is electronically measured thus eliminating the need for a manual dipstick, it can still be done by way of the oil drain plug. same theory. very tight place to do that though.....but will achieve the same test....would u really bother? GUESS NOT! BUT IF YOU REALLY DONT TRUST YOUR MECHANIC, CHANGE HIM.....there are still plenty of good mechanics around....or better yet if you are a DIYer , why not do it yourself and have your peace of mind too... cheers
Old 01-01-2006, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I go to a friend garage every 2500-3000miles after Dealer Service. I WATCH them change it lol
Old 01-01-2006, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Just keep adding until it spills out the top...what could go wrong?