C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

iPod Integration Kit Review - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 05:54 AM
Ada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Integration Kit Review - First Impressions

I. Background/Equipment
2005 c230 SS
iPod Integration Kit from MBenzNL (installed by MB dealership)
5th Generation iPod (video)

II. Navigation/Playlists
Navigating through playlists was a simple task. It was pretty intuitive after pressing a few buttons on my steering wheel. I was able to scroll through options with my arrow keys on the steering wheel, like 'Playlists', 'Songs', 'Albums', 'Shuffle', etc -- as if you were scrolling on your iPod if you had it in your hand. The level 2 menus are exactly the same also. For example, if you select 'Playlists', you are able to scroll up and down your playlists and select whichever one you would like to listen to. Depending on your setting within the iPod itself, it will/will not shuffle the songs in that particular playlist. When a song plays, the Title of the track is displayed in the display located inbetween the speedometer and the other gauge. Considering this magical integration of reading ID tags of mp3s and the ability to control the ipod from my steering wheel, I asked myself, can it get any better?

III. Sound Quality
Sound quality is a MAJOR issue in my musical experience. I consider myself an audiophile and I'm extremely picky when it comes to the quality of audio that I am listening to. With that being said, I have to say my first impression of this kit, I was very disappointed. First off, when the iPod is playing in my car I hear a constant annoying electrical noise. It's so distinguishable that I can hear it through Rock, Dance or Hip Hop. Some people say I have dog ears, but there is no doubt that this noise is overpowering and anyone else would be able to hear it also. Second, the actual sound playing from the iPod is not as rich, bright or full-sounding like my CDs are. It sounds like the audio signal is being downsampled. Now you can say that the volume is not as high and that is the reason it doesn't sound the same as CDs but when the volume is at the same audible level, the sound coming from the iPod is completely flat. Although the quality level was not up to par for my liking, I did do a few tests to see if I could resolve these issues.

IV. Tests/Problems/Fixes
Electrical Noise: Someone in this forum said that he eliminated the noise by leaving the backlight on to his 5g Ipod. I tested this and it does help dissipate the strength of the noise, but it does not rid of it completely. It's still audible when the music is turned up louder and an Ambient or Soft song is playing. Deciding to eliminate a few theories, I borrowed one of my friends Nano and another friend's 3rd Generation iPod. Plugging the Nano in and the 3g after, I scrolled through numerous songs, illuminating the backlight, turning off the backlight and listening carefully as I did with my 5g when it was playing. I noticed no noise coming from my speakers.

Flat Sound: I ran a test using a Dance MP3 burnt on a CDR without any doctoring and compared it to the same exact MP3 on my iPod. The closest that I could do to replicate the fullness of the audio from the CD was to set my EQ on my iPod to Electronic. I'm sure Dance will work also but I was satisfied with the former. As I stated before the sound is still not as bright or vibrant as compared to the CDR, but its close enough.

Bugs?: I'm sure there are other bugs but the one I've found so far is the 'Shuffle' bug. I have replicated it and this is what I do: Disconnect the iPod, scroll through 'Settings' and find 'Shuffle', switch it to On. Plug the iPod back in and choose a playlist through the steering column to start playing the shuffled playlist. If you select another playlist, the songs will be played through A-Z (it shouldn't do this, it should be shuffling). Now disconnect your iPod again, 'Settings' then look at 'Shuffle'. It's turned back to Off. Anyone know a workaround?

V. Conclusion
After thoroughly testing by plugging each iPod in, testing first the 5g, then nano, then 3g, with backlights on and off, and also reading that people are having the same problem with their 5g iPod, I'm fully convinced that the 5g is the source of the annoying noise problem. I will take into consideration that the 5g was not listed as a supported device with this kit, but it's just a shame, I got this 5g before I got the kit or even knew that it wouldn't be supported. Maybe sometime soon, MB will know how to get rid of the noise. Depending on what view you take, this kit may or not be worth your money. If your looking for an alternative to your godawful sounding iTrip, but have loads of music, have the money to burn, and don't have dog ears like me, then you should jump right into the integration. If, however, you have a few favorite CDs that you listen to and/or you are fine with the quality of your iTrip or any other FM transmitter, then save your money for your next vacation.

Last edited by Ada; 01-12-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Excelllent reveiw...as I am contemplating about getting the ipod kit with the ipod video. Now, I have something to work with!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
My two cents...

I have an 06 with command nav, and ipod integration kit, harmon kardon, (and have mentioned this on another thread....) with iPod 4th gen (?)... Its the iPod Photo (first model with a color screen). The iPod/MB iPod kit has given me wonderful high fidelity sound. I too consider myself an audiophile, and I can tell between very subtle differences in music. Now, it is clear that MB's kit does not support the iPod video very well because of the hissing, but anyone else - I HIGHLY recommend to get this integration kit.

The kit accurately plays back what the iPod dock connector puts out - what does that mean? The iPod still does sound processing on the mp3 files, and outputs "line out" through the dock connector...but this "line out" audio is, best described as "tanted" in some way...but I find leaving no equalizer settings outputs the best sound.... I then alter the settings on the stereo to compensate -- so that the iPod isn't altering the sound to much.

Now, don't get me wrong ... the sound is simply suberb from the iPod... however, sound is only as good as the stereo system. ...and I'm not knocking the harmon kardon system which I do enjoy, but very subtle things such as a flute player taking a breath or the faint sound of a bow being pulled across a cello are not very present as they were with my fully aftermarket Kenwood Excelon system of my last vehicle.... but it still beats using any CDs at all... The only things I have in my car are my iPod with every song I own, and Sirius satellite radio (and FM, but who uses that anymore?)... So this is one extremely content customer...

- Eric

Last edited by dalazernet; 01-12-2006 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typos galore...yuck
Old 01-12-2006, 01:53 PM

06 C230
I was the one who said leave the backlight on, and you are correct if you listen closely, you can still hear the background hiss with the ipod vidoe. Very dissapointing. I guess I will just have to get an older iopd, only problem is I love the memory storage of the ipod vidoe 60gig. Is there an older ipod with lots of storage that is supported by the MB kit?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:28 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Yes, the iPod photo has 60 GB available storage...essentially my model which works great - except I only have 40 GB...

- Eric
Old 01-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Ada

Originally Posted by dalazernet
Yes, the iPod photo has 60 GB available storage...essentially my model which works great - except I only have 40 GB...

- Eric
Do get any type of noise/hiss with your 4g iPod Photo?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:09 PM

06 C230

- Eric
might have to look for one of those since i already have a psp for video's anyway. anyone interested in trading a 60gb ipod photo for a 60gb ipod video?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:18 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
No hiss/bad noises. Just superb, clear sound. I love this unit - color screen, easy on the eyes, and fits perfectly in the MB cradle (about $18 part) that holds it in the glovebox with the integration kit. Just searching ebay, I see a lot of them going on there (most likely unsuspecting people trading up to the iPod video ... or selling it now that they received a new iPod for the holidays). My suggestion would be to grab one of those, even if the person says "diminised battery life", I for one wouldn't care since it is constantly charging while in the car anyway. I only use my iPod in vehicle, so it remains in my glovebox at all times.

Peace,
- Eric
Old 01-13-2006, 12:19 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
Quality Difference

Has anyone judge the quality difference between full intergration vs. using a the aux input only???

While yes having the steering controls would be nice. I mostly would load th Ipod up with stuff I want to hear anyone and let it shuffle play. So the controls isn't a major issue with me.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:07 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Not sure of the difference -- although I would think it would be very little... providing you connect to that AUX cable through the dock connector port... PLEASE do not use the headphone port, because you are ruining your sound quality....

If memory serves me, there is a mini dock connector to line out adapter made by a company... um, thats it, SiK makes a product called the "din"...provides line level out for connecting to AUX in devices (such as your stereo), and has firewire port for charging....if you so desire...

- Eric
Old 01-13-2006, 03:43 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
Thanks!
Old 01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Ada

Bugs?: I'm sure there are other bugs but the one I've found so far is the 'Shuffle' bug. I have replicated it and this is what I do: Disconnect the iPod, scroll through 'Settings' and find 'Shuffle', switch it to On. Plug the iPod back in and choose a playlist through the steering column to start playing the shuffled playlist. If you select another playlist, the songs will be played through A-Z (it shouldn't do this, it should be shuffling). Now disconnect your iPod again, 'Settings' then look at 'Shuffle'. It's turned back to Off. Anyone know a workaround?
Can anyone else with the kit confirm the Playlist shuffle bug?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Almost a Member!

06 C230
I have Ipod video 30Go.
Sound quality is very good.
Haven't try to reproduce the shuffle "bug". Even if it's the case, I don't think it's a problem...
The only thing I could complain, is that it's slow to browse songs with the wheel buttons. But I am very happy with the integration though.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM

2005 MB C230 Kompressor
Personaly i think its just the instaler, b/c some ppl are having problems and some arnt, same with the volume control. u just need a experianced instaler who knows what there doing and doing it correctly
Old 01-18-2006, 02:22 AM
Almost a Member!

MY04 C200K 5AT
I have had the kit installed, and find that it's outstanding. Small complaint in that the info display between the tacho/speedo can't show more than 10 characters, making it hard to read song names. I also have the same problem related to low sound volume from the iPod source. I am using a 3rd Gen device. Sound quality is just fine - just that the volume tends to be 2-3 steps lower than with radio/CD. I am using the audio 20 player.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I have the complete opposite experience with the iPod integration in the E55 and CLS55. Then again we do get far better sound systems, but doesnt the W203 get the HK system as well?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:29 AM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
One extra note from me ... yes, the W203 has the option of HK logic7 system... which I truly adore.

Anyone looking for a BIG (storage-wise) iPod... I just noticed on apple.com, they are selling refurbished 60GB models for $299! Run don't walk to their site and grab em while they still last! :-).

- Eric
Old 01-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Ada

Anyone looking for a BIG (storage-wise) iPod... I just noticed on apple.com, they are selling refurbished 60GB models for $299! Run don't walk to their site and grab em while they still last! :-).

- Eric
When I wrote this review, I went ahead and ordered a 4th gen that was refurbished from Apple. It should arrive today. I'll be using that instead of my 5th gen, and leaving my 5th gen in the living room for the house parties.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 PM

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Hey guys couple of questions:

I am looking at a C280 4-Matic and am really excited about the possibility of a decent ipod integration.

1: How much did you pay to have it installed?
2: Was it installed when you bought the car or later?
3: This shuffle bug. Does it mean I can't run the ipod in shuffle mode, shuffle all songs?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 01:38 AM
Ada

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
1: How much did you pay to have it installed?
They charged me $400 for installation alone. They said it takes 4 hours on a C class

2: Was it installed when you bought the car or later?
I bought it later.

3: This shuffle bug. Does it mean I can't run the ipod in shuffle mode, shuffle all songs?
There's an option to shuffle all your songs, but the bug exists when you switch playlists. (ie. I'm listening to Playlist A, if I switch to Playlist B, the Setting on the iPod to 'Shuffle' is reset to 'Off' instead of 'Songs'.)
Old 01-31-2006, 01:40 AM

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Wow $400 that is nuts!!!. Maybe I can negogiate it into my purchase...
Old 01-31-2006, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
Wow $400 that is nuts!!!. Maybe I can negogiate it into my purchase...
the cheapest ive been quoated around here (los angeles) is $367 they tell me it takes 3 hours for c-class, and longer in other cars~! i call bull****. cant take that long. but then again there are few out there who are willing to take partly take apart the dash on my c-class, damng this sucks....
Old 01-31-2006, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Took me two hours on the first one, 45 minutes on the second. It is not that hard, you just need to know the steps, and don't forget to move the fiber optic cables to their original home on the head unit.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:57 AM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Right on with the C280 choice! I absolutely love this engine, and I know you will too! Its definately a powerful engine and with the ride quality of the 280 model, you're going to be in heaven. Yeah iPod integration kit ain't cheap - and I can't speak about the shuffle prob because I never use that option. I always just listen to my own playlists made on my computer at home...etc.

As for the screen displaying only 10 or so characters, yeah -- that gets difficult with some of my classical pieces. I wish there was an option to have it scroll more -- or something...but then again, I bet it speeds up loading the titles and scrolling because it only reads 10 chars. My old kenwood stereo ipod integration kit used to be slow as molasses...but had all the characters for each song.

- Eric
Old 01-31-2006, 06:48 PM

2005 MB C230 Kompressor
i paid like $420, it took them an hour to figure out that they could do it on a system w/o comand so i totaly wipped there *** in the ipod catagorie! and took then 2 hours 2 instal

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod Integration Kit Review - First Impressions