C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2002 c240 loud clunk noise in rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 cls63 AMG
2002 c240 loud clunk noise in rear

I have did a search and did not come across anything helpful. Whenever i go over a bump or pot hole, i hear a loud clunking noise from the rear suspension. I have made sure it is not anything in the trunk or the spare. The sound almost sounds like spring or sway bar related. Is this a known problem? my car is not under warranty so if somebody can tell me some preliminary checks i can perform myself it would be greatly appreciated.
Yousaf Khan
Old 02-10-2006, 02:59 PM

2007 cls63 AMG
Anybody with any input?
Old 02-11-2006, 03:05 AM

//WALD C320 Magnifique [sold], BMW Z4 3.0i 6spd[sold]
I have the same problem with my car but not everytime i hit pot holes or bumps. It sometimes happens. Brought it to the dealership but guess what, they were bunch of noobs. Couldnt figured out the problem. They thought it was the bushings and then they repaired. But the clunking noise still there. My personal opinion, i think it is because of the cold weather.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/////AMG
Try checking the spare tire compartment. The spare tire as well with the equipment are not tightly held in place. Going over speed bumps and such may cause them to move (or in your case, to jump), causing a loud noise.

Highly doubt your shocks are going bad, shocks last forever. Do keep in mind, that speed bumps and such must be driven veeeeeeery slowly, maybe that'll alleviate the problem
Old 02-18-2006, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
i too just started hearing a clunking noise in the rear today i check everything sway bars, Shocks and all the bolts everything seems fine i just can't figure out where is this noise coming from. it sounds like something is hitting the body of the car. it only happens when you go over bumps and it on my rear passanger side
Old 02-18-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 Sport, 2001 C320, 1986 944Turbo, Lynx B Formula Vee
I was having a "clunk" noise in the front end suspension a few months back in my 01' C320 and replaced the front sway bar drop links, about $35 a peice from the dealer. It looks to me like the drop link bearings get worn and when the sway bar starts to move the play in the bearings "clunks". I havnt had a problem with the fronts for months but now the rear suspension is making the same noise. Im going to replace the drop links on the rear sway bar and see if that fixes it. I hope it does becuase its an awful noise and its a bit embarrising to have to explain to people why my "rock solid" German car sounds like its constantly falling apart. It doesnt help that I commute on I-5 from Seattle to Tacoma, about 30 miles, every day. I-5 is worse than a washboard almost the whole way. Im glad I dont have any fillings beacuse Im sure I would be replacing them too.

I also had the "squeak/creak" coming from the front. I used a silicone lube spray on the sway bar bushings and it went away... for a while. I just spray them every three months or so and it keeps it squeak free. I also have a Porsche 944 Turbo with polyurethane suspension bushings and it makes the exact same squeak as my MB but nothing makes it go away.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
i too just started hearing a clunking noise in the rear today i check everything sway bars, Shocks and all the bolts everything seems fine i just can't figure out where is this noise coming from. it sounds like something is hitting the body of the car. it only happens when you go over bumps and it on my rear passanger side
I've been asking around about this same problem from my suspension. It's been ever since I put on the Brabus swaybar in the rear passenger side (just like you WaveyKat).

It's like a loud knock, only when making a sharp turn for me. A fellow member helped me check it out before, but we couldn't re-create the sound. Then we tightened the rear swaybar and the noise went away for about 2 months. It's been back for a while, but am not sure I'm going to have the dealership check it out because they'll probably say it's not covered under warranty because of my suspension and swaybars (TEIN and Brabus).

To this day, I haven't really pin-pointed exactly what it is.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:33 AM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
i get a clunk sound too, but i get that sound every winter when it is less than 25 degrees outside. wait for the weather to warm up a bit before starting to replace evreything in the car, it might just be weather related probs.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
I've had the clunking for almost 1 year, so it can't be the weather. If it's the same noise that I'm getting, I'm not sure what to make of the sound.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
i was thinking it could be the weather cuz for the pass few days it has been really cold like 35-25 degrees and under so i will wait a little but anywho what are the drop drop links? ???? any pictures?

i was just thinking drex you are right is soon as i put on the thicker sway bars i started to hear that clunking nosie in the passanger rear side

Last edited by WaveyKat; 02-19-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:21 PM

2007 cls63 AMG
Hey,
I am sorry i did not update this earlier, i had my car diagnosed at the dealership and they found out that the last coil of the spring on my passenger side rear was snapped. They also suggested me to change the bushings on the front sway bar. My car was out of the 4 year bumper to bumper but they were able to accomodate me in the 5 year major component warranty and replace both springs in the back for no cost. They did charge me $196 to replace the bushings on the font end with labour, taxes and everything but they gave me a loaner and washed the car so i did not mind the cost. Results: Omg, she drives so smooth now over the bumps, feel like i am in a boat, no clunks. Ofcourse i moved into a benz from a civic and a lowered 93 tt rx7 so it feels like a rolls royce to me.
Thank you for all the input and it feels good to be a part of a community where people are so helpful
Yousaf Khan
Old 02-21-2006, 06:28 PM

2007 cls63 AMG
lol oh yes and about the weather comment, i live in Nova Scotia Canada. The weather here on sunday was -25 Celcius and -40 with the windchill. I have no problems with the benz on cold days except that the dash display is very slow to respond till the car warms up but to be fair the plasma in my room does the same thing. Its just too cold out here.
btw on a side note we get a lot of snow and we live on a mountain. I kept getting stuck at the bottom of the hill with snow tires but ever since i put michelin x-ice i can go through a foot of snow and the traction control on and never miss a beat. I can do a stop and go at about a 50 degree incline in snow/icy conditions and still get the car moving (in the direction i want it to move orcourse) with the x-ice. In short i have never been in a rear wheel drive car that is so good in the snow. My friend has a 3 series and he is calling me all the time to bring my truck and haul him out of the ditch.
Yousaf Khan
Old 02-21-2006, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c240classic,

Is it possible to see the damage to the coil spring visually ?

I have a noise coming from the rear too.. and it can happen during turns, acceleration, or braking. Mine sounds like a bunch of metal ***** rolling around in the trunk (I assure you there aren't any). In addition, my problem occurs in the summer as well (although it seems worse in the cold).
Old 02-21-2006, 09:21 PM

C 230K Coupé
How about instead of taking it to a MB dealer, you take it to an Auto Mechanic with some experience on MB's. That's what I would do if i suspected the dealer wouldn't cover the problem under warranty. I got a much better experience with an autoshop by my house than with the dealer. Fast service, no bs, and cheaper in the end.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 PM

2007 cls63 AMG
pokerFACE,
i was able to take my car into the dealership and told them the problem i was having and what side it was coming from. They took it for a 5 minute drive, brought it back, put it on a hoist and instantly told me what the problem was. I would imagine to be able to see the end of the spring they probably unloaded the suspension on the hoist and moved the spring and shock assembly around. Either ways they did not charge me for the diagnosis.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
ok so i fix the Clunk noise thats was coming from the rear passanger side i think it was the sway bar bolt but i also lube and tighten the sway bolt, control arm bolt and everything was fine no more clunking ... thanks guys for the help.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by WaveyKat
ok so i fix the Clunk noise thats was coming from the rear passanger side i think it was the sway bar bolt but i also lube and tighten the sway bolt, control arm bolt and everything was fine no more clunking ... thanks guys for the help.
Yup. That was the only fix that I've actually done that seemed to work, thing is though, it was temporary. I'm thinking of having them retightened with some loctite.

Anyways, glad your problem went away.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:39 AM

c240 w204 2004
Originally Posted by c240classic
I have did a search and did not come across anything helpful. Whenever i go over a bump or pot hole, i hear a loud clunking noise from the rear suspension. I have made sure it is not anything in the trunk or the spare. The sound almost sounds like spring or sway bar related. Is this a known problem? my car is not under warranty so if somebody can tell me some preliminary checks i can perform myself it would be greatly appreciated.
Yousaf Khan
First major problem could be the rear springs, they tend to break on this car! so check that. second, I have noticed on my c240 that the sway bar link "mount" is deteriated by rust so the bolt is not tight on the mount, there is free play which creates a small clunk noise, under very slow speeds and bumpy roads usually.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by c240w203
First major problem could be the rear springs, they tend to break on this car! so check that. second, I have noticed on my c240 that the sway bar link "mount" is deteriated by rust so the bolt is not tight on the mount, there is free play which creates a small clunk noise, under very slow speeds and bumpy roads usually.

Hope this helps!
You replied to a 12 year old thread.