C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

n00b here! plz help...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' C230k Sport Coupe
Question n00b here! plz help...

Hi guys, I am new to this forum because I am contemplating the possibility of buying a MB. Actually I am kinda in the middle of the business and I think I got a pretty decent deal with a local dealer. I've been reading this forum for the past 3 weeks and if I am posting in the wrong section plz forgive me, but please I do value your opinions. Anyway, I never had a MB, the one I am getting is a c230K coupe 2002, auto, with 60k. I checked the carfax and the car had no problems at all But I am afraid MB are expensive to repair and that is my biggest concern: to buy or not to buy extended warranty. I've read people posting about this already, some are not happy some are. Believe me, if it is more than $2500 (like the quotes over the web, that would be a no-no), this seems to be different. If you have some time let me add this info from the service contract. By the way I was offered the PLATINUM PLUS Protection for 48 months/48k for $1480 with "Ultimate Warranty Corp" (seems to be legit, checked on the BBB website)

What Covers:
1. Engine Camshafts and bearings, harmonic balancer, rocker arms, rocker arm shafts, timing gear, timing chain, pistons, connecting rods and bearings, crankshaft and main bearings, oil pump and gears, diesel fuel injection pump. The engine block, cylinder heads, valves, valve covers, timing cover and oil pan are covered only if damaged by one of the covered components listed above. All internally lubricated parts within the turbo/supercharger/twin turbo housings. Exclusions: Rotary engines and Cadillac 4100 engines are not eligible for coverage.
2. Transmission/Transaxle. All internally lubricated parts within the transmission/transaxle case, torque converter and vacuum modulator. The transmission case and pan are covered only if damaged by an internally lubricated part.
3. Drive Axle All internally lubricated parts within the front/rear differential housing, all internally lubricated parts within the four wheel drive transfer case, axle shafts, universal joints, yokes, four wheel drive locking hubs, constant velocity and double offset joints, wheel bearings, driveshafts and carrier bearings. The differential housing(s) and transfer case housing are covered only if damaged by an internally lubricated part.
4. Seals & Gaskets Cylinder head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets. All other seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered repair.
5. Electrical Alternator, starter motor and solenoid, voltage regulator, wiper motors, washer pumps, power antenna motor, sunroof motor, power door lock actuator, idle air control valve, power window motors, convertible fop lift motor, ignition module, coil packs, power seat motors, power mirror motors.
6. Suspension Upper and lower control arms and ball joints [only if the vehicle has been driven 1 500 miles or more since date of purchase), coil spring (only if broken), radius arm and bushings, torsion bar, stabilizer bars/links/bushings, idler arm and pitman arm.
7. Steering Manual and power steering gear housing and ail internally lubricated parts, control valve and cylinder, rack and pinion, power steering pump.
8. Air Conditioner Compressor, compressor seals, compressor clutch, clutch bearing, receiver/drier, field coil, air conditioning condenser and evaporator core.
9. Brakes Master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, power brake booster (vacuum only).
10. Cooling Water pump, thermostat, electric radiator fan motor, fan & clutch, coolant recovery retainer.
1 1. ABS Components Electronic control module, hydraulic pump/motor assembly, accumulator, pressure modulator valve/isolation dump valve, axle pickup unit, reservoir.
12. Fuel System Fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, fuel sending unit, metal fuel delivery lines, fuel tank.
13. Enhanced Electrical Cruise control module, cruise control servo/transducer, cruise control amplifier, engine control module (ECM), body control module (BCM), powertrain control module (PCM), climate control computer, climate control module, primary fuel injection computer, MAP sensor, throttle position sensor, mass airflow sensor (MAF), oxygen sensor, coolant temperature sensor, camshaft sensor, crankshaft angle sensor, wheel speed sensor, window switches, mirror switches, multi-function switch, distributor (only if serviced properly), electronic suspension compressor and suspension height sensor.
14. Enhanced Cooling Radiator, heater core, heater blower motor.
15. Enhanced Seals & Gaskets Oil pan gasket, transmission pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, front and rear crankshaft seals and axle seals.

Now, What is NOT covered:
1. ANY REPAIRS DONE WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION BY ADMINISTRATOR.
2. Any loss when the vehicle's odometer has been tampered with, altered, allowed to remain nonfunctional, disconnected or broken.
3. Incidental or consequential damages or loss caused by a breakdown of components (or otherwise) including property damage, personal injury, inconvenience, and loss of vehicle use. Punitive damages are also expressly excluded.
4. Repairs covered by the manufacturer warranty on the covered Vehicle, manufacturer recalls, and factory service bulletins. Any warranty on parts and/or labor from any party other than the Administrator supersedes this Contract. If the Vehicle or specific components on the Vehicle have a warranty, You are responsible for seeking coverage from the entity that provides that warranty. You are then subject to the terms and conditions of that warranty. The Administrator has no liability for that repair or any costs or inconvenience associated with that repair.
5. Repairs required because of collision, abuse, operation without proper lubrication or coolant, road conditions, misuse, negligence, exposure, alterations, racing, accidents, fires, floods, riots, acts of vandalism, theft, or terrorism. Any other losses normally covered by causality insurance.
6. Repairs required due to lack of proper and responsible maintenance, abuse through improper towing, and abuse through continued operation of an impaired vehicle that shows signs of a clear mechanical problem. Any repair required due to normal Wear and Tear.
7. Repairs required due to overheating, regardless of the cause of overheating, or repairs required due to loss of fluids, regardless of the cause of loss of fluids. These include, but are not limited to, loss of engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, freon, power steering fluid, or axle grease.
8. Repairs to covered components that are performing the function for which they were designed.
9. Any repair to valves or worn piston rings where the malfunction is low compression and/or oil consumption. This is considered normal wear and tear.
10. No coverage will be granted under this contract for any damage caused by failure to maintain the Vehicle to the standards of the manufacturer. This includes, but is not limited to, failures resulting from aftermarket modifications. Examples include, but are not limited to, suspension lift kits, superchargers, nitrous oxide kits, GPS systems, lighting accessories, and stereo systems.
11. No coverage will be granted to vehicles that are used for commercial purposes.
12. Manual transmission claims will not be covered if, at the time of failure, the clutch components are worn to the extent that replacement is required.
13. Pre-existing conditions are not covered by this service contract.
14. Towing charges incurred without the use of the Emergency Roadside Assistance package included with this Contract.
15. Damage to covered internal engine, transmission, differential, transfer case, CV joints due to deteriorated seals, gaskets, or torn boots.
16. Any service or adjustment. This includes the costs associated with wheel alignments, air conditioning evacuation or recharge, or any system updates or flushes and any diagnostic charges associated with covered or non-covered repairs. These services will not be covered under any circumstance.
17. Damage to a covered component caused by the failure of a non-covered component.
18. Drivetrain exclusions: shifter assembly, linkages, cables, electronic transmission sensors, switches, and solenoids, all wiring harnesses, manual clutch assemblies, throwout bearings, pressure plate, friction or clutch disc, manual and hydraulic linkages.
19. ANY COMPONENT(S) NOT SPECIFICALLY LISTED IN THIS AGREEMENT UNDER THE "WHAT IS COVERED" SECTION.

I know some people here will actually can put more sense or in plain English. I have no idea about car parts so I am basically relying in what the dealer is offering me... plz... help… I'm going crazy
Old 02-19-2006, 07:33 AM

BLACK 05 C230SS
If you definitely love this car than go for it and buy the Extended warranty because it is at 60K and that is a risk of anything going wrong. the extra money will be worth it in the long run when you see how much it costs for maintenance.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:30 PM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
Thanks for you reply, any others?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 318is (E36)
Well I don't know about used cars too much since Im only 15 but in my family there are 34 Mercedes Benzes and 4 of them are C230Kompressors and I got to drive one of them a while ago and I definitely think you will love it, a couple of the C240s in my family have some problems but none of the C230s (Kompressor or otherwise) have had any problems (even the one that NEVER gets its oil changed, poor thing lol) so I would go for it, and I would be surprised if a Benz had problems at only 60K miles, my 1991 300E has 200K miles on it and it still runs like new, just be sure you take care of it and change the oil at the reccomended interval and all that good stuff.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300, sport, black/black
Originally Posted by fanito
Thanks for you reply, any others?
Buy the warranty. You will very happy you did the first time you get it repaired.

It appears to cover the major items. Some smaller items may not be covered however, (like the cabin air flow components controls, stereo equip, lighting).
Old 02-19-2006, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
go for it, get the warrenty with it, its worth it, because u dont know WHEN one thing might break down. and the cost to repare it is ....
Old 02-19-2006, 07:27 PM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
I was a lil' worried because is cheap in comparison with the other ones I've seen on othe web. So still will be a pretty decent deal. $12757 (it was 14,900 and I traded a Daewoo '01 that I wasn't using, this is including already taxes and tag) + $1485(4 yr/48k) warranty = $14,242 for everything... not bad? huh?

Last edited by fanito; 02-19-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:22 AM

Which companies are providing extended warranty?
Star Mark
or
Western General

I'm considering an extended warranty too at 72K after my extended warranty expired from dealershiip. But Rusnak will only sell Western General and not Star Mark for vehicles expiring Star Mark or original MB warranty.

I'm afraid that many parts are not covered with Western General, but I never get a complete parts list instead of general parts list.

e.g. Electronic Transmission Plate, ignition coil, ignition wire set, are they covered?