C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

What is the W/S button above Gearshift??? ( and MAF powerloss weirdness! ) Plz read.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the W/S button above Gearshift??? ( and MAF powerloss weirdness! ) Plz read.

Hi, I have an automatic c230K 2002
Didn't get the manual with it.

I am guessing that this button is for "winter" "summer" mode.
what is the proper way to use it?
ie: when it is below zero? or when there is snow??
what does it exactly change...
when I push it, the S and W show up respectively on the dash
above the numbers showing me what gear I am in.

Also, when winter first hit, and I changed to the "W" mode (hoping this
is for winter! ) I got a check engine light a couple days later, and lost all my power!
I went the the dealer, he said it was the MAF and wanted $800 and change for the part and labour (canadian).
I said NO WAY>!!
I ordered it online for a quarter of the price recently. But before I put it in, I changed back to the "S" mode, and about 1-2 days later, ALL my power came back!!! I'm wondering if maybe in the "W" mode it doesn't regulate right and sets off the Check Engine Light/MAF and kills my power??? or maybe the warmer weather now, my MAF works right? I dunno...
I put in the NEW MAF I ordered today, so I am about to go try it, but I would love some input. Also, the Engine Light is still on, but I was told it needs to be RESET once it is lit.!
I was told there is a way to do it myself and get codes myself by getting the right software and connector and a laptop. I'd like to do this as the dealer will charge me $105 just to pull the code and reset the error, etc... so what kind of software is it? ( name of it) and where can I buy the interface connector??

Thanks for reading ALL of this! hehe

Last edited by sidshock; 03-13-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Heres the quote from my owners manual.

Reverse Gear
"Dependant on the program mode selector switch position "S" or "W" the maximum speed in the reverse gear is different. However, it is not possible to change the program mode while in reverse"

so one will let u reverse faster then the other. I THINK.. S is faster then W.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:26 PM

2014 Audi S5 Cabriolet 3.0T
Summer/Winter mode
Old 03-13-2006, 04:32 PM

oki summer winter it is...
but is there specifics on when which should be enganged??
ie: Temperature below Zero
or when there is snow? , etc..

And what is the Specific difference?
ie: Better traction control reaction ? More/less torque?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Snow or ice. It makes the car start in second gear instead of first.

Erik
Old 03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
JDM

2011 C300
tifosiv122 is correct, it makes the trans start in 2nd so you don't slip the rear wheels in icy conditions. Has No affect on your maf. I had to replace my maf because I contaminated it with decarbon spray. (stupid) The car had to relearn the new sensor, so it ran just as poorly with the new one as it did the old for about 5 min. I just let it idle for a bit, check light went out, car started running correctly again. Dealer recommends replacing the air filters at the same time in case theres is a contaminant in them.. Just what sort, I dont know..mine was user error.

Last edited by JDM; 03-13-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi 225 TT.w203 sedan.Bmw 318tiCali.Ed.VW Jetta vr6
as stated above....W- starts car in 2nd gear.........S- starts car in 1st gear as far as under/over freezing temp. use your best judgement! as far as MAF, dont think W and S mode interfere with it. how is your car after instalation of new MAF >???
Old 03-13-2006, 05:54 PM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
Talking official answer!

I am lazy, so more like copy-paste from MBUSA.COM:
Wanna get ur manual? then register on MBUSA with your VIN... then you can print it out (maybe not ...is very long)

there:

The transmission is provided with a selector switch for Standard "S" and Winter/Wet (snow and ice) "W" program modes.

Standard Mode

Press switch on symbol "S". Use this mode for all regular driving. The vehicle will start out in 1st gear.

Fast On = Depressing the accelerator pedal quickly (not into kickdown position) while driving continuously, rather than depressing the accelerator pedal in the usual manner, will cause the automatic transmission to shift down into a lower gear. This gear shifting process is dependent on the current vehicle speed.

Fast Off = There will be no upshift when releasing the accelerator pedal quickly, e.g. using the engine's braking power during performance driving.

Winter/Wet (snow and ice) Mode

Press switch on symbol "W". The vehicle starts out in 2nd gear, except with selector lever in 1st gear, or with accelerator pedal in kick down position.

The "W" mode helps to improve traction and driving stability of the vehicle. The gear shifting process occurs at lower vehicle and engine speeds than in the "S" program mode.

Caution! Never change the program mode when the selector lever is out of position "P". It could result in a change of driving characteristics for which you may not be prepared.

Important! Always be certain of the program mode selected since the vehicle driving characteristics change with the selection of the program mode. Dependent on the program mode selector switch position "S" or "W" and the gear selector lever in position "R", the ratio of power transmission changes.

Last edited by fanito; 03-13-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:51 PM

thanks guys for the great responses...
JDM:
so your check engine light went out after a bit of use by itself???

LowcaliTi:
ahha,, funny u ask...
ok, I got it all in fine, and went off riding and it still seemed a bit off, etc...
so after about 30MIN, I thought to myself, OH SNAP!!! did I re-connect the harness going to the MAF, sure enough, I DIDN'T!! So I was already parked home, and too lazy to go out and try it again, so I will find out later on today...
I think it's one of my stupidest moments, but I'm sure I'll find a way to top it!
Old 03-14-2006, 03:17 PM

ok, I just test drove it for 20 min or so...
went thru a car wash too...

Check engine light stays on still...
also, it SEEMS to have the power, but I could swear before when I would floor it from standing still the back wheels would spin out just a tad, and my traction control would kick in, and it didn't this time, so I dunno...
is the engine light supposed to go off by itself when all is good??
The dealer told me that they need the "RESET" the error code once it is thrown. Again, this is on an '02 c230K.
btw: If my dealer said it is my MAF by the error code he got, what else could it be???
Old 03-14-2006, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
the dealer is correct you have to reset your car. Go to your local auto parts place and buy a OBD 2 code reader or rent one. about $90 us, plug it in. look above your brakes you will see the plug where the obd 2 code reader plugs in. dont start the car. just turn it on with out starting your car. it should show you all the codes that has all the problem. reset it and your done. if it comes back then re read the code and fix it.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:00 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by sidshock
thanks guys for the great responses...
JDM:
so your check engine light went out after a bit of use by itself???

LowcaliTi:
ahha,, funny u ask...
ok, I got it all in fine, and went off riding and it still seemed a bit off, etc...
so after about 30MIN, I thought to myself, OH SNAP!!! did I re-connect the harness going to the MAF, sure enough, I DIDN'T!! So I was already parked home, and too lazy to go out and try it again, so I will find out later on today...
I think it's one of my stupidest moments, but I'm sure I'll find a way to top it!
..Yes, mine reset itself several times while I was dealing with it. At first, I tried to clean my original sensor with an alcohol solution, reistalled the sensor, check light would come back on, car would run like crap..after about three attempts, I replaced the sensor, same thing, check light, ran like crap, barely ran actually, but as minuits passed it got a little better, and still better.I let it run at idle for a bit, check light went off, car straightened out, fine ever since. I am willing to bet my light was on for a miss fire detection, once the miss fire is gone, the light goes out. O2 sensors do the same thing. If one starts failing, the light comes on, but o2's will often times start working again temporarily, the check light will turn back off. If a fault is detected that involves a direct short, the light will not reset itself. A direct short would be like a speed sensor,or even an O2 that is completely dead. Multiple codes being set by various sensors will also make it unlikely to reset itself. Wish you well.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi 225 TT.w203 sedan.Bmw 318tiCali.Ed.VW Jetta vr6
Originally Posted by sidshock
ok, I just test drove it for 20 min or so...
went thru a car wash too...

Check engine light stays on still...
also, it SEEMS to have the power, but I could swear before when I would floor it from standing still the back wheels would spin out just a tad, and my traction control would kick in, and it didn't this time, so I dunno...
is the engine light supposed to go off by itself when all is good??
The dealer told me that they need the "RESET" the error code once it is thrown. Again, this is on an '02 c230K.
btw: If my dealer said it is my MAF by the error code he got, what else could it be???
(you should have had your battery unhooked while working on MAF or anything eletrical) but if not....
unhook your battery for 30 sec.-1 min then hook it back up. (then read battery fault list, at top of w203 threads before you start a thread saying you unhooked your battery and a bunch of stuff dosent work. ) if MAF was the problem it should go off and stay off after you reconnect battery. hope this helps!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:13 PM

U sure LowcaliTi??
I heard that taking tha battery off and on does not reset the codes???

Maybe I was wrong..

JDM:

What year is your car? I am getting mixed answers, someone says the dealer or I with an OBD II Reader need the reset the codes, but you say u didn't have to??

Yeah, it might also be ANOTHER code now that's keeping it on, who knows...
grrr..
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Mines an '01. And as I mentioned, I'm quite certain that had I actually retrieved the code, it would have related to either the missfiring, or the MAF. I tell you no fibbs, it cleared itself several times. Depending on the fault, many cars will turn off the light once the computer no longer see's a fault. It still may keep it in a "history" file though. If the Maf doesnt fix the car, or it seems to but the light remains lit, I'd go and at least have it diagnosed. Mine was simple because I broke it, and knew exactly what was wrong. The cars are very complex, as you know, and will throw you a curve ball in a hurry.

Last edited by JDM; 03-15-2006 at 06:34 PM. Reason: left out a point