C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Tele Aid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Import
Tele Aid

OK, guys, I just deactivated the Tele Aid on my '02 240. The woman on the other end proceeded to give me a mild gloom and doom of why I shouldn't do this - I'll lose umpteen features up to and including the remote unlock w/o the key. I've never had need for any of this stuff, and never plan to, but now I'm terrified. I know there's been a bunch of threads on this - one recent one - but you all better be right.....
Old 08-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Simple question - did you use it in the first year?

She's a telemarketer - of course she's going to try anything to get you to stay with a service that makes them money.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Were you able to do this over the phone? I thought that you had to send them something in writing.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no you can't do it over the phone now... that's how i did it.....
Old 08-08-2002, 10:17 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Is your subscription cancelled today, or was it understood that your subscription will expire in the next couple of weeks and that you want it to expire?

If the latter, you have a week or so to call the 1-800-FOR-MERC, to test your remote unlocking feature. In my opinion, you should do this to be sure that all the hardware works prior to your subscription expiration. This way, you can tell any future buyer that the system was tested during your initial ownership year and that it worked properly... they can call and reactivate if they choose. Be sure you park and lock the car in an open parking lot with clear view to the sky from all angles before testing.

I never had a need to use the feature myself, so I let my Tele-Aid sub expire. But it's nice to know the car is equipped for it and that it works.

I don't miss my Tele-Aid at all. Here's how I cancelled in writing...
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...elling+teleaid
Old 08-08-2002, 11:09 AM

Import
Tommy , Rev , Bob -

The one year anniversary of the car is this weekend - got the letter from MB a month or so ago and promptly ignored it. It gave the usual "go-team" spiel, and said no action is necessary if I wish to continue service. To cancel, all I needed to do was call the number they listed (800 741-5002), inform them of my intentions, give them my password, and voila, it's done (I assume). No letter or nuttin'.

I have never used any of the features, and plan to keep the car ten years (or the rest of my natural life, or divorce - it's in my wife's name, heh, heh), so the future buyer stuff is kind of moot.

The little red-lit SOS was always good for a query from a new passenger, though.

Pete

I also blew off the "opportunity" for the extended warranty, too.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:27 PM

cancelling teleaid

I just cancelled my renewal for teleaid also last week. The MB rep said that a letter was not necessary.

Originally posted by pel C
Tommy , Rev , Bob -

The one year anniversary of the car is this weekend - got the letter from MB a month or so ago and promptly ignored it. It gave the usual "go-team" spiel, and said no action is necessary if I wish to continue service. To cancel, all I needed to do was call the number they listed (800 741-5002), inform them of my intentions, give them my password, and voila, it's done (I assume). No letter or nuttin'.

I have never used any of the features, and plan to keep the car ten years (or the rest of my natural life, or divorce - it's in my wife's name, heh, heh), so the future buyer stuff is kind of moot.

The little red-lit SOS was always good for a query from a new passenger, though.

Pete

I also blew off the "opportunity" for the extended warranty, too.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:09 PM

Angry Never activated

I am at my one year anniversary of ownership and when I purchased the car I specifically said I did not want the tele service and I have never activated it. I called today to check my credit card usage for the month and dammit if MB didn't charge me for the damn tele service. I called tele and explained that I did not agree to this and to cancel it and give me a credit and the rep said I had to give them my password. I don't have a password I never activated it! The rep told me I had to call the dealership to get my password which I did and they said they'd call me back which they didn't. I called tele back and asked for someone in charge and told them my dilema and they said they had a signed copy of the activation and ever so conviently the sales man didn't mark the box that said declined. I should have asked for a faxed copy of it. Wouldn't common sense say if they look at my account and see if I didn't activate it and I'm calling to have it canceled then why the hell do I need a password or letter?? I'm sorry for my negativity on the board I just needed to vent to some people that would probably understand where I'm coming from. I also called MB service and complained about the dealership and the hassle this has caused me today. Thanks gang have a good one.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
When I purchased the car, there was an agreement that I had to sign for teleaid. A credit card number was also provided. This is the official "application" if you will, for teleaid. Activation is not. If you signed the agreement for teleaid, then you have had it a year, and it would renew itself, whether you actually activated it or not. At least, this is how I remember it. I would check your paperwork from when you bought the car. I bet you will find a copy of the agreement that you probably signed (since they had your CC number).
Old 08-13-2002, 09:34 AM
Almost a Member!

C230/ B. Silver/Leather
Oneslip

How did they get your credit card number if you didn't sign up for it when you took delivery of your car?
Old 08-13-2002, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Remember that the launch promo included TeleAid as a free service for one year. You may have signed up for it after the salesmonkey pitched his free speech banana, and not remembered. This promo was probably because the service has become less popular that MB had counted on. Not surprisingly, MB already charged me for my second year, even though I didn't take delivery on my car until Oct. 02.

I guess they too have to boost their cashflow in these hard economic times...
Old 08-13-2002, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
tele-aid pays for its self mostly for me. It gets me half of its cost off on my insurance. So I basically get it half price. Plus mom and dad pay for it so they have peace of mind when i'm out and about. I've used them for directions and it was wonderful, they called police for me in the wreck too. Sorry to hear about all the horror stories you guys have about it.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:37 PM

Smile Copy of agreement

I called tele service today and asked them to send me a copy of the agreement I signed. I know I would not have signed it if it had my credit card # on it and the sales guy got my number for when I put the deposit on the car. Tele did say they have my account canceled and to expect a credit, which is a good sign. It just really irritates me when I am very specific about something and the sales people continue to try and sneak thier services in. It's not just this co. it's the phone and others that try and charge cutomers hoping they either don't pay attention of don't care. Thanks for letting me vent yesterday and your all input. The car is great and I do enjoy that, now watch me breakdown in the middle of no where,LOL!
Old 08-13-2002, 06:02 PM

C230K
I will be interested to see whether I get charged for a second year tele aid when the anniversary arrives, even though I sold the car in April....
Old 02-18-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI
I wonder how quickly you can phone them and have the service activated. It would be nice if you locked your keys in the car, then just called MB, gave your credit card to activate service and had them unlock the car. I can think of a few instances where it would be worth close to $200 to get back in my car within an hour or so.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by nilknarf
I wonder how quickly you can phone them and have the service activated. It would be nice if you locked your keys in the car, then just called MB, gave your credit card to activate service and had them unlock the car. I can think of a few instances where it would be worth close to $200 to get back in my car within an hour or so.
When I bought my car, I filled out a form for activation. Then I had to wait a couple of days, and then press the "HELP" button for them to finalize activation. I don't know if this is necessary to get it re-activated.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
It's supposed to take only 30 minutes to an hour for the activation to go through. They fax over the application and then you have to call them from the car after a certain amount of time. At my dealer, the salespeople try to fax this first, so it will be activated by the time they finish the delivery.

nilknarf, I have seen someone do this. His car was in for service and got the keys locked inside. The car had never been signed up for TeleAid, so we faxed over an application and he got his free year and they unlocked the car. I think it took at least a half hour though. I don't know if you can do it this quickly if you stopped the service after the first year and then try to sign back up.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:20 PM
Banned

W203
Smile Tele Aid

I have had teleaid for the first full "free" year then i just decided to keep going on it. For what reason? I don't know. There was something about it on the insurance policy though so i'm assuming that i am saving. I'm happy with the service.

I've only used it a couple of times espeically for directions and she was able to tell me that i was going to wrong direction back home. That totally saved me the trip! Then she conned me to actually get some other traffic service which i have NEVER used. Whatever...its all on my credit card which i pay off so it doesn't seem to be bothering me that much.

I've also heard that it isn't free anymore. It is an option that you have to have installed for the 2003 models. Is that true? that actually kind of stinks. I'm finding out that MB is slowly getting a little more expensive and conning their way for us to get the options. I'm personally not loving that aspect of MB at all.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:29 PM

C230K
Originally posted by raymond
I will be interested to see whether I get charged for a second year tele aid when the anniversary arrives, even though I sold the car in April....
Well, surprise surprise, I got charged for Tele-Aid in December. At least the customer service rep sorted it out in about 2 minutes. I even still get service surveys from the dealership even though there is a new owner (that stupidly enough takes it there)...
Old 02-18-2003, 10:22 PM

2003 C240 4MATIC
I've got a hypothetical question. What if your teleaid expires and then your car gets stolen? Can you call up MB, activate the teleaid subscription, and then ask them to locate your car?
Old 02-18-2003, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by Darkman
I've got a hypothetical question. What if your teleaid expires and then your car gets stolen? Can you call up MB, activate the teleaid subscription, and then ask them to locate your car?
Do you think they would? I doubt it. Otherwise everyone will just not subscribe until their car get stolen. Can they do it? Sure they can. Will they? Most likely not.