C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

the age-old radio question.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB C230 Kompressor
the age-old radio question.....

i'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but nothing is showing up on the searches i'm doing:

everytime i go into a car audio shop, they tell me the entire car has to be re-wired because it's got some type of fiber optic system. i have the bottom of the line stereo on my 02 c230 sportscoupe, not even a CD changer- and i was hoping to pop in a new alpine or maybe a dvd with screen setup.

can anyone clear this up for me? i can see that numerous others have replaced theyre factory head unit with an aftermarket unit, so i figure its not impossible, and none of the threads i searched through mentioned anything about rewiring the whole car just to replace the head unit.

a llittle help here?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300
Originally Posted by madfast
i'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but nothing is showing up on the searches i'm doing:

everytime i go into a car audio shop, they tell me the entire car has to be re-wired because it's got some type of fiber optic system. i have the bottom of the line stereo on my 02 c230 sportscoupe, not even a CD changer- and i was hoping to pop in a new alpine or maybe a dvd with screen setup.

can anyone clear this up for me? i can see that numerous others have replaced theyre factory head unit with an aftermarket unit, so i figure its not impossible, and none of the threads i searched through mentioned anything about rewiring the whole car just to replace the head unit.

a llittle help here?
Yes, you can do it. I did it in mine (by myself). The BOSE system is fiberoptic, along with the link between your phone/steering wheel buttons/CD changer (if you had one). If you don't have BOSE, you can swap your HU and keep factory speakers if you want.

There's nothing stopping you from putting in a new stereo except for an ignorant shop.

You can use a Metra kit for the dash. Get a Metra VW wiring harness, and a wiring diagram for the stock stereo. Use the cigarrette lighter wire for the switched power, and you're all set. Or you can just find a shop with some MB experience.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 MB C230 Kompressor
excellent, excellent- so basically i just have to tell them that theyre wrong.

thats what i thought, i'd like to upgrade head unit first, speakers second, and sub third, since the stock speakers always sound better with a higher quality signal processor. and the fact that i wouldnt be listening to my XM with a FM modulator *throws up*.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blimp
Tell them they're wrong.. and take it somewhere that really knows how to work a stereo system on a Mercedes
Old 03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 MB C230 Kompressor
well i was at best buy, just perusing the head units since they (and circut city) have a good selection. theres no real big car audio shops around here(with as "good" of a selection). and if there is an audio shop- they want an arm and a leg for anything and everything.

so i asked how much for install just to see what they'd say about the fiber optic network i've heard so much about elsewhere. he got off the phone and told me the whole car needed a re-wire. i was pissed. but now i'm happy!

thanks fellas.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i have a pioneer touch screen DVD player HU already wired for MB on the VW harness i took out of my 202, had "refurbashed" (removed scratches from screen, dusting etc) and i plan to sell it fo $1200 OBO PM if your interested

i currently dont have it as it is still being worked on.

Alex
Old 03-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Just make sure that you STFF for the remote turn on wire for that AF HU you're trying to install.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 MB C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Just make sure that you STFF for the remote turn on wire for that AF HU you're trying to install.
wow, i've been on BBS systems for years, and you just shot out some lingo i've never heard before.

what does STFF and AF mean?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
wow, i've been on BBS systems for years, and you just shot out some lingo i've never heard before.

what does STFF and AF mean?
Are you sure about that?

YACAL
Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 AM

Hello all,

I will try this one out...

Does anyone know the name of a company that sells a part that will allow someone to convert the fiber optic signal from the steering wheel controls of a W-203 C-Class Mercedes Benz to a standard electrical signal thus allowing the use of the steering wheel controls with a stadard aftermarket readio?

If so, what is the name of that company?

Thank you all!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I know they sell the steering wheel interfaces for Mercedes Benz W203 on cardomain.com/store

My steering wheel controls dont work, I was gonna try this interface but...havnt gotten the chance...besides...my radio reception still sucks with the aftermarket HU
Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
For those of you in NJ (specifically northern NJ), I can't say enough about Sound Waves in Parsippany. 973-334-9283 (WAVE) - they did the install in my last car and have a lot of experience doing installs in imports, german cars etc. They have something like 12 licensed car audio installers, and everytime I get something done there, they go above and beyond my expectations -- even my little crazy requests of where to install things. ...and they are reasonable on their rates, if they schedule you for a 2 hr install, they will charge the $75/hr ($150 total install) even if the install takes them physically 5-6 hrs to do (which can happen in some cars, depending on electronics)....

I haven't had them do anything to my new 06 C280 yet, but I'm starting to itch for a subwoofer...so we'll see :-)

- Eric
Old 06-14-2006, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
The way the fiber optic system for the Bose works in the w202, the "fiber optic netork" is strictly for communications between the HU and the optional phone and the CD changer. The rest is regular speaker wire. I HIGHLY doubt they are using fiber optics to send audio from the HU to the speakers in w203 cuase that would be REDICULOUS, so if you don't care about the CD changer (which I don't) or the damn phone, you can change the head unit just fine using an Audi/VW harness (or if you own a Blaupunkt like me, plug and play). I did this in my 99 C 280 and it works great. The Bose sound is much improved and I was able to add a sub WAY easier with no wire cutting.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:50 PM

C230 Kompressor SS
Steering wheel controls

Here is an exact link to the cardomain.com posted by advans (thanks by the way you just ended a very exhausting search for me)

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERPES...=none#vehicles

It looks like there are three that are compatible. This one looks like the best to me though.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLS450, GLE450
I had the HU of my 2002 C320 Wagon replaced about 8 weeks ago with Pioneer AVIC-D2 Nav unit. Here are my findings and setup.

The HU was FO connected to the CD Changer and the amp. From the amp to the speaker was all copper. My C320 had a sub in the back also.

The installed installed a 4 Ch amp where the sub used to be and connected the speakers to amp using existing copper wiring.

Everything looks great and works well. I did loose the vol +/- on the steering wheel...

Pictures:

the age-old radio question.....-main.-small800.jpg

the age-old radio question.....-amp-small800.jpg

Last edited by sunnyvali; 07-19-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by davis449
The way the fiber optic system for the Bose works in the w202, the "fiber optic netork" is strictly for communications between the HU and the optional phone and the CD changer. The rest is regular speaker wire. I HIGHLY doubt they are using fiber optics to send audio from the HU to the speakers in w203 cuase that would be REDICULOUS, so if you don't care about the CD changer (which I don't) or the damn phone, you can change the head unit just fine using an Audi/VW harness (or if you own a Blaupunkt like me, plug and play). I did this in my 99 C 280 and it works great. The Bose sound is much improved and I was able to add a sub WAY easier with no wire cutting.
If you have the Bose option in the W203 the Fiber Cable carries the audio signal to the Amplifier, also the CD Changer and Phone are on that fiber loop as well. Then from the amp to the speakers of course is wire. The Bose Speakers need to be replaced if changing head units since they are like 2.2Ohm speakers.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:38 PM

C230 Kompressor SS
Originally Posted by sunnyvali
I had the HU of my 2002 C320 Wagon replaced about 8 weeks ago with Pioneer AVIC-D2 Nav unit. Here are my findings and setup.

The HU was FO connected to the CD Changer and the amp. From the amp to the speaker was all copper. My C320 had a sub in the back also.

The installed installed a 4 Ch amp where the sub used to be and connected the speakers to amp using existing copper wiring.

Everything looks great and works well. I did loose the vol +/- on the steering wheel...

Pictures:

Attachment 86269

Attachment 86270
Sunnyvali, if you don't mind me asking, which dash kit did they use to put in your nav?

Looks sweet. Is that a 6.5" screen or 7?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
Some wiring needs to be run one way or another but a full rewire does not need to be done, it can be done if you want though. This is just a common thing that most stereo shops say to make it sound like a lot more work than it is. Believe me, what most shops will do is what I am going to describe for you below, and they will just tell you they did a full rewire. Don't get me wrong it is still a lot of work to install one because of running cables to where they can be connected, but not as much as a full rewire, which would involve running new wires into each door and to each area a speaker is at. That is what I would consider a full rewire.

All you really have to do is bypass the amplifier in the trunk if it has one, and either run speaker wires from the headunit's speaker outputs to the amp's speaker wire outputs, or run the factory amp's speaker wire outputs to an aftermarket amplifier and run RCA signal cables from the new head unit to the amp in the trunk.

When doing anything with sound in a car like a mercedes, if you do not use high quality RCA cables with great shielding and if you do not run them properly you may get some engine noise. The same can go for speaker cables. Run them properly and use good quality cables and you should be ok.

The factory amp should be located behind the passenger side panel of the trunk.

Keep in mind that the speakers impedance plays a factor in this too. you don't want to run 2 ohm speakers off the headunit's internal amplifier. You would just be asking for the headunit to either fry the amp, or it could run fine for years, but why take the risk, you could also overheat the headunit by doing this. If keeping bose speakers and replacing the factory headunit and amp in any car with bose or a car with 2 ohm factory speakers, it is best to use an aftermarket amplifier that is rated to handle the Ohm load of the speakers.

I have worked on one or two of these for friends, and have a 2004 C240 myself. But I am not doing any stereo mods to the car, because I bought the car for my Fiancee and our future child, so it will be her car. only thing I am doing is tint, and C7 wheels.

If you take the time and find a good shop that knows what they are doing and knows these cars then you should have no problems getting it done.

You can do anything with the sound system as long as you find competent people who can get it done.

I would never have a car stereo done at a major chain like best buy or circuit city, not that I have anything against them, but I would rather go to a smaller store that does good work.

I hope that clears it up for you. the same goes for most cars with factory amplifiers. you really do not need to do a full rewire on most cars unless your intent is on bypassing all the factory wiring completely.

Alon

Last edited by ashman; 07-20-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
Bose considerations are same for E and C class.... CLINK
Old 07-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLS450, GLE450
I used the following kit and the screen size is 6.5 inches.

http://www.scosche.com/scosche_carau...B&CategoryID=5
Old 08-16-2008, 04:23 PM

2003 C240

a llittle help here?
Hey...Just got back from circuit city and told me the same thing.In addition; they said I have to replace the stock speakers.
This is what I currently have TO BE installed:
CAR INFO:
2003 C240 MERCEDES BENZ (NON-BOSE)

DEH-P5000UB PIONEER HEAD UNIT
CERWIN VEGA AMP
POLK TWEETERS WITH IN-LINE CROSSOVER BUILT- IN
SUBWOOFER BOX & JL AUDIO 12" SUB
STEERING WHEEL CONTROL INTERFACE (pac swi-ps )
(Interface is $100. "per CCity: Although it's a 3 wire connection it requires a lot of programming.)

CIRCUIT CITY QUOTE: $500-600.

What do you guys think?

Question: Do I need an Integration plug to use the factory AMp with the Pioneer HU?

Also..What's the difference between Metra kits and others...?

Any input is much appreciated.

Things to buy:
AMP Integration plug(if needed???)
Wiring harness
Dash kit
Antenna adapter for use of factory antenna
Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Originally Posted by danev6972
Hey...Just got back from circuit city and told me the same thing.In addition; they said I have to replace the stock speakers.
This is what I currently have TO BE installed:
CAR INFO:
2003 C240 MERCEDES BENZ (NON-BOSE)

DEH-P5000UB PIONEER HEAD UNIT
CERWIN VEGA AMP
POLK TWEETERS WITH IN-LINE CROSSOVER BUILT- IN
SUBWOOFER BOX & JL AUDIO 12" SUB
STEERING WHEEL CONTROL INTERFACE (pac swi-ps )
(Interface is $100. "per CCity: Although it's a 3 wire connection it requires a lot of programming.)

CIRCUIT CITY QUOTE: $500-600.

What do you guys think?

Question: Do I need an Integration plug to use the factory AMp with the Pioneer HU?

Also..What's the difference between Metra kits and others...?

Any input is much appreciated.

Things to buy:
AMP Integration plug(if needed???)
Wiring harness
Dash kit
Antenna adapter for use of factory antenna
Price is not bad considering parts+install (I'm assuming parts are part of the price, no?) IMO, but, more importantly, it's CC, where the quality of work is entirely dependent upon the position of the stars and planets.

You can forgo the steering wheel adapter for the actual Pioneer one, except you either have to have someone get it for you from the UK or Europe, or get it from ebay Europe. The model you are looking for is the CA-R.PI.131. Also, I've heard the pac swi ps doesn't work on our cars, but don't quote me on that; make sure it does in advance.

You shouldn't need an AMP integration harness since the Pioneers usually have a Pre-amp out on the back (according to pics on Pioneer's site, it does), unless they're referring to the RCA cables that bring the signal from the HU to the amp (not the same thing).

The rest of the parts make sense. The Metra dash kit is one of a handful, and a nice one because if you want a double-din unit later, it supports that (unlike others which have a molded cubby built-in).

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:40 PM

2003 C240
Jedcred,
No parts included. Strictly labor only.
Been looking around town & found a stereo & tint shop guy who would do it for just $275 labor. (quoted via email)
I'm going to bring my ride to him to look at it for a more accurate quote.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Dane, just do the install yourself, especially since you have a non-bose set up. It's easy breezy. If you are installing a pioneer HU, i wouldn't bother with a PAC adapter... i would order the OEM pioneer adapter from europe. A guy on ebay sells them for 130+ dollars...... much easier route. What part of FL are you located in?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM

2003 C240
Originally Posted by electromethod
Dane, just do the install yourself, especially since you have a non-bose set up. It's easy breezy. If you are installing a pioneer HU, i wouldn't bother with a PAC adapter... i would order the OEM pioneer adapter from europe. A guy on ebay sells them for 130+ dollars...... much easier route. What part of FL are you located in?
I haven't done an install myself but my bro has...I might ask him to do it for me.
Is there anything I should be extra careful with during install? Just worried about messing up some "electronic" functions.
If it's just like installing it in any other vehicle then I guess we can do it.

Are you saying the PAC does not work at all or just a hassle to program?
Already bought one but I can always resell it on ebay.

Tried ebay for pioneer adapter but don't know what i'm looking at.

I'm in north port. Sarasota county.
Thanks electromethod

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the age-old radio question.....