C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

What would you have the dealer reprogram now that you know it can be done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 03:00 PM
taylor192

What would you have the dealer reprogram now that you know it can be done?

I've read about some things that the dealer is able to reprogram and would like to compile a list of things to ask the dealer to do before driving off the lot with my new C230K. Here's some of the things I found:

1. Stereo loudest increase with speed. It can be set to 9dB, 6dB, 3dB, or 0dB.
2. Not installed phone selection screen removal.
3. Performance, normal, economy driving modes.
4. ???

There's gotta be a lot of little quirks people have noticed with their C-Class, and ways to reprogram the car to be more driver friendly.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
I think that the MB was pretty good about giving the user control of the most often used parameters, like metric/english, daylight running lights (although "Headlight Circuit Continuous" may be a little cryptic).

From what I understand, a lot of the reprogramming will be done for free, provided you don't use too many car washes, cookies, special coffees or sodas.

I think that the No Phone message will probably frustrate at least _some_ people into crumbling and buying the hopelessly overpriced and inferior Motorola phones. What upset me more was we were "forced" to take Tele-Aid, which gives a Malfunction message if it isn't activated.

BTW, our Volvo S60 gives us no control over the settings , and Volvo is predatory when charging for changes - my biggest (and hopefully only) disappointment at having replaced the MB with the Volvo.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Well, before anyone else says it, I'll mention the Norway settings. Gives you an audible set of chirps (3 for lock, one for unlock) when you do the alarm. I like it, but some find it annoying. I do feel like an idiot standing by the car, and having it beep three times until I get all of the windows down. But, I think it's worth it. Be careful; your dealer will probably not have a clue about this setting if you ask them to set it.

It also eliminates the "panic" feature of your key fob, but that's only for women and old men (sorry if I've offended gg and mb-bob :p ) anyway.

I really liked the 24-hour clock setting availability; thought that was pretty cool as well.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
taylor192, my advice is to write down the items mentioned in this thread, BUT, do NOT have any of the changes made before delivery. Instead, drive the car for a few weeks and decide for yourself if you want this or that parameter changed. Opinions on any one of these issues vary from love it to hate it, and only you can tell if what annoys somebody else is just great for you.

If you have these elements changed before you take delivery, you will not have any factory baseline to compare the changed setting to... you might not know what you're missing.

For instance, I think the audio pilot works great. You have to fiddle with it to set it up, then it functinos flawlessly and to my preference.

And while I got the C3 package, which included a really nifty ski sack, I'll never visit Norway to use it, so I have no use whatsoever for the juvenile "look at me I have a Car Alarm" Norway settings.

Besides, I like pressing the panic button as middle-age-crisis accountants pass the car. Makes 'em fart accounting ledgers, as they scream, "holy amortization!"
Old 08-09-2002, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
my 2 cents...

there are 2 volume adjustment systems (the new c-class brochure makes it clearer). the speed-sensitive system and the bose audio pilot. the speed sensitive system is the one you can change from 9-0dBs. imho, bose audio pilot isn't nearly as obtrusive (and seemingly, far more sophisticated) - and, i have no idea how it can be deactivated. if you don't have the bose system, you don't have audio pilot.

the 3x chirping is the Netherlands setting... kleemann has confirmed that
see that MB DAS thread for more info. very informative.

the above thread also dicusses how the other settings are changed.

my only advice is to tell your salesguy that you'd perhaps like to make some changes after you test them/drive around for a while. i'm sure she'll say yes, and then you can get them changed for free later. good luck.

mb-bob, how do you fiddle w/ the audio-pilot? is the sedan's version adjustable in some way?

Last edited by young; 08-09-2002 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:10 AM
rrf

Been there done that

Since I have been through several of these settings I'll toss in my .02.

Netherlands: 3 chirps, had it, was very nice when my keys weren't working correctly, but now that they are OK I like it better quiet. Try it quiet, you will probably like it.

Audio volume variation with speed: I think the default is 6dB (maybe 9dB), since the car is so quiet with the windows up this is way too much attenuation with speed, (even in the C32). Set it to 3dB, that is a better match for the real world noise relative to speed. (If you drive windows down, then ignore my advice).

No Tel: if you have no tel, surely get rid of the reminder. No Brainer.

I had all of these set perfectly (the way I like them), then my dealer somehow reset the system and I lost Netherlands, and the Audio also went back to default, I am going to ONLY change the Audio to 3dB.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
I have the Bose w/audio pilot. After 2 visits (for other things) he insists that the audio pilot is set to 0db so it should not adjust with speed or interior/exterior noise. I keep assuring him that it still changes. Other than driving it with him, is there any way I can check it myself?

Also, to chip in my .02, I had the NO TELEPHONE message disabled. Not that seeing it annoyed me, but it's one less menu to scroll past to get somewhere. Tell your dealer UP FRONT that you don't expect to be charged for the changes. My friend has a C230 and they charged him $20 to change the NO TEL setting. I told them that since I was in for 5 other issues that I didn't expect to be charged for that change. And I wasn't. Easier to tell them up front than try to get a refund on the back end.

I agree about the Netherlands settings, try it silent. No need for the "Look at ME! Look at ME!" effect of the chirping...
Old 08-13-2002, 10:36 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by young
mb-bob, how do you fiddle w/ the audio-pilot? is the sedan's version adjustable in some way?
This is with the sedan Bose system... Don't know what works with non-Bose.

First, mark the top edge of the HU volume control with a piece of masking tape. Then, rotate the knob til the mark is at 12:00. Then, with radio on, reset the audio levels per the manual by pressing and holding the AUD button until the beep and the display says RESET.

From now on, keep the mark at 12:00, and adjust the audio level only with the steering wheel buttons. (You will find that the wheel buttons are deactivated when the engine is off, but you can turn on the system without the key in the ignition. However, you can adjust volume only with the volume knob on the HU. Feel free to do so, but remember to return the mark to TDC (12:00) when you turn on the motor.)

Take the car for a drive. Pull up to a stoplight (red) and with all windows closed, and the car at idle, use the steering wheel controls to set the volume where you like it to be at idle. The Bose audio pilot is now set, and it will adjust with rise and fall of ambient noise, but not below your idle setting.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by kbohrer
I have the Bose w/audio pilot. After 2 visits (for other things) he insists that the audio pilot is set to 0db so it should not adjust with speed or interior/exterior noise. I keep assuring him that it still changes. Other than driving it with him, is there any way I can check it myself?
he did change the speed sensitive volume adjustment. i don't know how audio pilot is deactivated and that is what you're hearing.

-
from mbusa
standard features:
6-speaker audio system with automatic speed-sensitive volume adjustment.

premium sound system:
Bose sound system with 8 speakers including a dash-mounted center fill speaker and a 9" Nd Neodymium Iron Boron high -efficiency woofer. Bose AudioPilot digital processing helps compensate for unwanted ambient noise with no perceived change in audio volume.

Last edited by young; 08-13-2002 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
Originally posted by young

he did change the speed sensitive volume adjustment. i don't know how audio pilot is deactivated and that is what you're hearing.
Okay, so I think I understand now. The speed sensitive volume adjustment is present whether I have the Bose or not? So he turned that off but there is an additional setting called audio pilot that also has control over the volume and that is what he needs to disable? I would have thought they would know how that all works.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct so they don't look at me like I have 3 heads when I try to explain it to them?

Thanks!!