C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Bodyshop Expectations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One with 4 wheels
Angry Bodyshop Expectations

Hey guys,

So I'm over at Ewing Autohaus MB dealership's bodyshop to see if they would install my CF lip............and I'm horrified that:

1.) The facility is dirty, and I mean........filthy
2.) They are under-equipped...they didn't even have a basic LIFT???
3.) Parts and scrap parts were all over the place......do they not clean up?
4.) Cars being worked on were way too close to each other.......just a pet peeve of mine.

Am I just being paranoid to have left after seeing their shop, and not let them do the job? Because when I go to a bodyshop I expect:

1.) Clinically clean facility
2.) Organization in their equipment, and well equipped for servicing vehicles
3.) No crap lying all over the place; all scraps and parts are in designated areas
4.) Good space between each workstation.

The last time I saw such a great facility was in freaking TechArt's tuning facility in Germany when I was visiting a friend getting his 996TT worked on..........talk about impressive. The place looked like a lab, it was spotless!The way I see it, going to a bodyshop is almost like visiting someone's house for the first time. First impressions make a huge difference.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
im surprised MB even uses a facility like that for their cars. i feel the same way where i would want an environment clean and professional. that body shop somewhat represents MB also because the dealership uses them, which makes MB and the dealership look bad.

i say bring it to a reputable body shop or aftermarket shop to do the install. I wouldn't bring it to that body shop because it seems they wouldn't "care" for your car. better safe than sorry.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 MB
My .02 worth

I agree, our owner feels the same about our shop here. I look at what comes out of the shop, no matter what the shop itself looks like, though what you talked about above is scary.

I have worked with Detail's Ltd, in Addison (972)392-2277 ask for Ron, tell him I sent you and he will take care of you like family. He has done alot of custom work for my clients in the past, all turned out excellent.

LMK how it works out.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by MBSvcAdv
I agree, our owner feels the same about our shop here. I look at what comes out of the shop, no matter what the shop itself looks like, though what you talked about above is scary.

I have worked with Detail's Ltd, in Addison (972)392-2277 ask for Ron, tell him I sent you and he will take care of you like family. He has done alot of custom work for my clients in the past, all turned out excellent.

LMK how it works out.

I'm checking Detail's Ltd. out tomorrow Steve! I hope all goes well with them; I called them up and they already sounded better. When I called my dealership, it was like they couldn't be bothered helping me. When I called Detail's Ltd, they were professional, courteous, and made time to take a look at my project. Can't wait til tomorrow!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Well, if you want a shop that pays someone to keep the facility spotless, in addition to paying whomever does the actual work on your car, you gotta expect that you're going to pay for that as well.

Personally, I'd prefer to work with a shop that does good, verifiable work. How they get to that end result, I don't really care about. But that's me.

But going to a dealership's body shop is just asking for trouble, imho.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:16 PM

2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
Originally Posted by TA-9FF
I'm checking Detail's Ltd. out tomorrow Steve! I hope all goes well with them; I called them up and they already sounded better. When I called my dealership, it was like they couldn't be bothered helping me. When I called Detail's Ltd, they were professional, courteous, and made time to take a look at my project. Can't wait til tomorrow!
I look forward to hearing about your experience with Detail's Ltd. After Steve's suggestion to me, I am also probably going to check them out.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
There is no excuse for bodyshops looking like so many of them do. I don't think it's a question of cost, it's a question of management. Having slobs that won't clean up after themselves is a result of management not having a clean shop as a priority. I wouldn't let my car even enter a nasty filthy shop - it's going to get your car dirty too, you know!

As far as MB is concerned, there is a certified collision newtwork program set up, and if your car was crashed that's where I would take it.

For aftermarket stuff, find a place that does that type of thing, and has experience doing it. The result will be better.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Exclamation Detail's Ltd. Update!

Originally Posted by b3d_sage
I look forward to hearing about your experience with Detail's Ltd. After Steve's suggestion to me, I am also probably going to check them out.
I went to Detail's Ltd today, met with Ron (the owner), talked to him about my project, took a look around his business, and I gotta say......Detail's Ltd kicks ***!

His bodyshop was clean, uncluttered, professional, and organized, his staff was courteous and helpful, and it was an all around great experience. Ron shared some pretty funny stories about dealership bodyshops; to sum them up the attitude of most dealership bodyshops is "What the customer doesn't know, won't hurt them".

I think this is the difference between a great bodyshop and a crap one. I left with TRUST in Ron to do the job correctly and professionally, and felt comfortable leaving my car to him to work on.

I made an appt with Detail's Ltd. next Monday, so for all you patient people, my CF lip will finally be installed, and pics will be up no later than Tuesday. I'll follow up with another update to let everyone know how the installation went, as well as give updated service details.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by mbbodytech
There is no excuse for bodyshops looking like so many of them do. I don't think it's a question of cost, it's a question of management. Having slobs that won't clean up after themselves is a result of management not having a clean shop as a priority. I wouldn't let my car even enter a nasty filthy shop - it's going to get your car dirty too, you know!

As far as MB is concerned, there is a certified collision newtwork program set up, and if your car was crashed that's where I would take it.

For aftermarket stuff, find a place that does that type of thing, and has experience doing it. The result will be better.
I completely agree with you; man you should've seen that dealerships bodyshop. Dust everywhere, they were PAINTING THEIR CARS OUT ON THE PARKING LOT, damaged bumpers lying around, NEW bumpers with no plastic wrap or protection on them simply lying on a "rack" with other damaged bumpers, damaged rims with tires, put in a small "pile" in a corner, Mercedes-Benz's sharing crowded workspaces with Pontiac's and Buick's.......I mean, seriously WTF is wrong with these people???? And to make things worse, when I went to the front office of the dealership shop, people kept "passing me on" to someone else.......it took 30 minutes for someone to help me, and when they did, they had this attitude of "Aww man I gotta actually do some work around here". This was an establishment you as a customer would like to see shut down, no joke. I left pissed off, and irritated that I had to deal with such pathetic "service".
Old 04-13-2006, 05:26 PM

2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
Originally Posted by TA-9FF
to sum them up the attitude of most dealership bodyshops is "What the customer doesn't know, won't hurt them".
oh hell, last bodyshop I took my car to (had a littlemishap with the frint bumper and a parking stop) ended up, for some STUPID reason, CUTTING all of the wires to the left fog light. Now, I was under it right before they got it and all of the wires were there, plugged in, working, everything. After I got home with the car I noticed my sidemarkers HANGING by the wire connected to the bulbs... they broke the clips that hold them in and just SET them in place. They even replaced the right sidemarker lamp-holder with some random one they puled out of their asses and CARVED it (looked like with a pocket knife) until it culd be JAMMED into the lens.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:55 PM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
we need to compile a national list of good place to go. it sucks to find out after you get screwed that a particular place could have been avoided from a member's experience.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by b3d_sage
oh hell, last bodyshop I took my car to (had a littlemishap with the frint bumper and a parking stop) ended up, for some STUPID reason, CUTTING all of the wires to the left fog light. Now, I was under it right before they got it and all of the wires were there, plugged in, working, everything. After I got home with the car I noticed my sidemarkers HANGING by the wire connected to the bulbs... they broke the clips that hold them in and just SET them in place. They even replaced the right sidemarker lamp-holder with some random one they puled out of their asses and CARVED it (looked like with a pocket knife) until it culd be JAMMED into the lens.
THAT SUCKS, and is completely unacceptable! They've got some kind of ***** to do that kinda **** to your car, or to any customers car for that matter.

The stealership bodyshop suggested TAKING OFF MY AMG bumper to install the CF lip....I was like, are you kidding me? I've had forum members install this lip on their cars in 20 min just having the car jacked up on a ramp, and you're wanting to take 2.5 hours to do it + remove my bumper???? I'd do it myself if I trusted myself with a powerdrill! Otherwise I'm having this pro installed somewhere else!

You really have to wonder why these kind of people are even in the bodyshop business when they clearly have no passion or care for cars. I have no doubts that this is kind of BS is stuff they do to their own vehicles.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by pookie
we need to compile a national list of good place to go. it sucks to find out after you get screwed that a particular place could have been avoided from a member's experience.

I have a pretty good impression thus far on Detail's Ltd. in Addison, TX.
On Monday when the project is finished, I'll let everyone know how it went. I'm extremely **** about my car, so I know it from top to bottom and will inspect every nook and cranny of the car after the lip is installed, checking for anything that would look like a mess up, and making sure it was done perfectly.

Steve Fordham (forum member who recommended me) gave this place pretty good reviews, and said this place did excellent custom work, so things are looking up. *keep my fingers crossed*

One thing's for sure: AVOID EWING AUTOHAUS MB DEALER BODYSHOP!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Exclamation Update!

Hey guys,

FINALLY! It is DONE. My CF lip is installed..........I just have to wash the car before I take pics!

Detail's Ltd. did EXCELLENT work, and I recommend them to anyone who needs any bodywork or custom work done. I can't stress enough how important it is to finally find a GREAT bodyshop that I can stick to, and one I can trust!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:49 PM

2003 C32
tease