C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Flat emblem question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Question Flat emblem question...

Ok...so my friend just purchased the Carlsson flat hood emblem for me, but I am having problems installing it. I got the stock 'star' off with ease. However, I think I am missing a Mercedes part or something. Once you take out the stock star...there is just a hole. The back of the Carlsson emblem has a 1" thread in the middle with a bolt. Do I need to take a visit to the benz parts dept. or do I need to take apart the stock mounting bracket?? Please help.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
Your Carlsson badge should have come with the following:
1. the badge with a 1" threaded bolt sticking out the back
2. a large washer, about 1.5"
3. a small lock washer
4. a nut

To mount it (need hood open):
1. remove the factory star
2. hold the badge in place on top of the hood
3. place large washer over the nut from the under side of the hood
4. place the lock wash over the large washer
5. screw on the nut and be sure to use thread lock
Old 12-16-2001, 03:56 PM

C230K
just go to a hardware shop and pick up the washer. It'll cost you about 50 cents. so don't stress over it.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:05 AM
Almost a Member!

C320
Got it, Thanks

I don't know why I didn't even try to undo the bolt in the first place...because if I did, I would have noticed the washers. Thanks for the quick answer back, it looks great!!
Old 12-17-2001, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Are you talking about the flat emblems seen on some Mercedes. I think the SUV's have them?

Could I put one of these on my C240?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 12-17-2001, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by wizkid
Are you talking about the flat emblems seen on some Mercedes. I think the SUV's have them?

Could I put one of these on my C240?
Eric, I'm sure this thread deals w/ a C240 or C320 since the C230 comes with the flat badge. I know that MB-BOB has also changed his upright star to a flat emblem on his C320. A C240 would be no different as far as procedure.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:34 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Eric, MarkL is right, I got a complete "flat badge" kit from OberKlasse.com for $25 (plus shipping) that included all the parts necessary. It looks just like the flat badges on the ML, or SLK. Also, check your local dealer. They may have the same kit, saving you shipping charges.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd like to have flat badge too, but taking off a perfectly good upright ornament seems so wasteful. What am I gonna do with it?

I only have a C240 Classic (umm.. 6 chrome slats?) I wonder how that'll look w/ flat badge.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
My wife feels the same way. I am trying to convince her to try it but she is not buying it.

She doesn't like people to know she has a Benz. She would like to go more incognito. The flat emblem would definitely do this.

Does anyone know if the flat emblem covers the same exact space the star does? Just in case I get the flat one and then turn aournd and put the otherone back on. I don't want to have a bad spot on the paint showing.

Eric
Old 12-18-2001, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I don't have the flat emblem, but... The flat badge is a larger diameter than the base of the upright start, and does not fit into the recessed circle like the star. Instead, it covers that recess, and sits slightly above the hood surface. I believe this is how all the flat badges work anyway -- I've looked at a couple on the MB's that use them as standard. I'm not sure whether the larger flat emblem would leave any type of mark over time if you later decided to put the original star back.

BTW, I prefer the upright star -- there's something about having that 3-pointer sitting up there. Anyway, people will know it's a Mercedes anyway -- the grill is pretty distinctive, no?
Old 12-18-2001, 12:41 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by wizkid
My wife feels the same way... She doesn't like people to know she has a Benz. She would like to go more incognito. The flat emblem would definitely do this.

Does anyone know if the flat emblem covers the same exact space the star does? Just in case I get the flat one and then turn aournd and put the otherone back on. I don't want to have a bad spot on the paint showing.

Eric
MarkL, I think the headlights are more distinctive than the grill itself. WizKid, I believe the standard grill with the flat badge is "stealthy", just the incognito appearance your wife might like. It's easy to switch back and forth between the two styles (3 min.).

The flat badge is a slightly larger diameter than the recessed mount for the upright, so the badge overlaps the recessed hole in the hood and sits up about 1/8". The badge itself is plastic... no metal to abrade at the finish. When it eventually fades in a few years, the dealer sells just badges (without the mount) for $10.

In the Spring, I intend to remove the flat badge and Zaino 2-3 coats before reinstalling. I hope the coats of sealer will preserve the finish that's covered by the flat badge.

As for what to do with the upright star, I intend to mount it on a block of walnut for the mantle piece, or the office desk.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 12-18-2001 at 12:46 PM.