C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

List of prob to watch out for 05 c 230 k sedn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
List of prob to watch out for 05 c 230 k sedn

i would like to know a list of problems people had with 05 230 k
Old 05-30-2006, 02:04 PM

05' C230K S.S.
1. Extra Luxurious Harmon Kardon Audio system keeps cutting out for days, then suddenly comes back on.

2. Super Duper Ultra M.B. "Sport" suspension keeps pulling to the right...dealer says it's because I have H&R coilovers & 19' Rims...even though ALL their stock loaner cars do the same.

3. Luxurious plush superior German interior pieces damage : arm rest peeling, aluminum trim dents & scratches with next to no pressure, numerous light bulbs fail...ect...

4. Superior German Engineered Engine stutters at idle & when exiting freeway offramps, dealer says that it can't locate the problem...surprise surprise...

Luxery cars my ***...M.B. sux, but somehow I'm a slave to them....
No better quality than a Honda.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
So far for me, I don't have any major problems.

The only thing I would complain is my A/C smells badly when turned on in hot days. Even though the smell would go out after 2 or 3 mins but it still embarassed me as my passengers would think it is a luxury cars...

This problem, however, has been discussed a lot and as of now nobody seems to have a solution yet. Other than that no problem whatsoever.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by 1sikbenz
1. Extra Luxurious Harmon Kardon Audio system keeps cutting out for days, then suddenly comes back on.

2. Super Duper Ultra M.B. "Sport" suspension keeps pulling to the right...dealer says it's because I have H&R coilovers & 19' Rims...even though ALL their stock loaner cars do the same.

3. Luxurious plush superior German interior pieces damage : arm rest peeling, aluminum trim dents & scratches with next to no pressure, numerous light bulbs fail...ect...

4. Superior German Engineered Engine stutters at idle & when exiting freeway offramps, dealer says that it can't locate the problem...surprise surprise...

poor muffin.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
jokes aside,

the one issue i keep having is the check engine light. it keeps coming back!
3rd time for me in under a year.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS

1. ditto. hasnt happened in a while....
2. ditto. dealer says same, and im STOCK!! booo
3. no peeling, but yea i notice the trim dents easy!
4. fine so far
5. stupid H/k woofer vibrates the rear hatch like crazy, dealer says they cant do nothing about it, they said they stuffed foam back there, but still rattles. i stuck my 200-cd case on top of it, now its barely audible. ghetto-fix.
...thats it for now....nothing major....but still....kind of annoying...never had this many little problems with my 1996 honda accord (i still have it)--tranny died once, but car was still under warranty
Old 05-31-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
my driver side corner blinker bulb is out and the passenger side periodically goes in and out leaving me a message.

at one point my bi-xenon's began flickering

my trac control check light turned on and then went off

NOW there's a burning smell coming from my driver side somewhere.....very bad!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:14 PM

07 G35 Sport 6MT, 2005 C230K SS (sold), 1998 Jeep GC 4x4 (da-heep!)
Nothing too major for me...

1. The aliminum trim can dent somewhat easily, but I haven't noticed anything bigger than a pin sized dent.

2. SRS Driver Side Airbag warning. Horn spiral sensor failure, somewhat common issue, fixed.

3. Driver side airbag recall - explodes with too much pressure, fixed.

4. Rear thumping at stop light once car is heated up. Heat shield over bumper was repositioned - fixed.

5. Lately car has been having trouble cold starting. I fear its due to the E10 in the gasoline now. Took it to dealer, they changed the spark plugs and did something to the computer. Its much better, although not perfect, like the car was when brand new.

6. The basic sound system plasic on the radio can scratch pretty easily.

7. The pulling to the right is due to road crown. My Benz does it too. The issue has been discussed. If you don't like it adjust the alignment slightly to the left to fix it. Chances are your alignment is perfect and its the road that's making you pull to the right.

I didn't believe it either, but then I took my car on an air field (the company I used to work for made jet engines) and the car would stay straight with no steering input. Plus you can drive REALLY fast!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by k_lundquist
1. The aliminum trim can dent somewhat easily, but I haven't noticed anything bigger than a pin sized dent.

2. SRS Driver Side Airbag warning. Horn spiral sensor failure, somewhat common issue, fixed.

3. Driver side airbag recall - explodes with too much pressure, fixed.

4. Rear thumping at stop light once car is heated up. Heat shield over bumper was repositioned - fixed.

5. Lately car has been having trouble cold starting. I fear its due to the E10 in the gasoline now. Took it to dealer, they changed the spark plugs and did something to the computer. Its much better, although not perfect, like the car was when brand new.

6. The basic sound system plasic on the radio can scratch pretty easily.

7. The pulling to the right is due to road crown. My Benz does it too. The issue has been discussed. If you don't like it adjust the alignment slightly to the left to fix it. Chances are your alignment is perfect and its the road that's making you pull to the right.

I didn't believe it either, but then I took my car on an air field (the company I used to work for made jet engines) and the car would stay straight with no steering input. Plus you can drive REALLY fast!
question....

>>> does it sound like water thumping almost? i HAVE he same problem but they told me with was the gas transfering from one end of teh tankt o the other! it sounded like BS to me but i couldnt call him a liar.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3

A.) You need to find a new dealer that can fix problems and not BS you.

B.) Realize you bought the bottom of the line MB in the USA and you thus do not get the S class interior build quality.

C.) MB's are only considered true Luxury cars in the USA, everywhere else they are just a car, and in Europe they are even Taxi's!

D.) I have had none of the issues you speak of and my car is 3 years old. Maybe they used better quality pieces in 2003 before they started cutting costs due to the Dollar being so weak and the Euro so strong.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:35 PM

@14cue

Um, didn't know water could thump?

I orginally thought it was something like that. I.E. the gas pump compressing air in the tank. But I tested it and it would do it on a full tank of gas.

It sounds like a little man's in your trunk and he's making a dull thumping sound to get out.

My SA explained to me it the back pressure or heating up of the exhaust causing the heat shield over the rear area of the system by the trunk to thump, esp. if you were romping on the car.

They repositioned it and tightened it and I haven't heard it since.

Last edited by k_lundquist; 05-31-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
A.) You need to find a new dealer that can fix problems and not BS you.

B.) Realize you bought the bottom of the line MB in the USA and you thus do not get the S class interior build quality.

C.) MB's are only considered true Luxury cars in the USA, everywhere else they are just a car, and in Europe they are even Taxi's!

D.) I have had none of the issues you speak of and my car is 3 years old. Maybe they used better quality pieces in 2003 before they started cutting costs due to the Dollar being so weak and the Euro so strong.
No offense, but I think the orginal poster was looking for constructive comments and issues specific to the 2005 model year.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
Originally Posted by white_w203
my driver side corner blinker bulb is out and the passenger side periodically goes in and out leaving me a message.

at one point my bi-xenon's began flickering

my trac control check light turned on and then went off

NOW there's a burning smell coming from my driver side somewhere.....very bad!
actually i just got back from the dealer and they said it was melted plastic proly from a plastic bag that got caught on the resonator. i checked with the service tech and i could see the melted plastic on there.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by k_lundquist
@14cue

Um, didn't know water could thump?

I orginally thought it was something like that. I.E. the gas pump compressing air in the tank. But I tested it and it would do it on a full tank of gas.

It sounds like a little man's in your trunk and he's making a dull thumping sound to get out.

My SA explained to me it the back pressure or heating up of the exhaust causing the heat shield over the rear area of the system by the trunk to thump, esp. if you were romping on the car.

They repositioned it and tightened it and I haven't heard it since.
thanks buddy,
i'll mention that to them and see what they say.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:41 PM

2005 C230K SS, 6sp
Problems I've had on my '05, all have been fixed:

1. Condensation in driver and passenger outside mirror turn-signals.
2. Gas flap actuator died.
3. Airbag recall.
4. Low coolant light came on in addition to the low washer fluid level warning, seems to be a common occurance on most years. Filled washer tank and the warning went away.
5. Check engine light once, but it was due to user-error with the gas cap. Turned off by itself.
6. Climate control regulator went screwy, system would stop after car was on for 20 minutes then it would come back on like nothing happened moments later. Linked to a faulty control unit. No problems since.

No pulling, no leaks. The car always starts and gets good gas mileage. I'm happy, but despite that I do have one annoyance. The display in the center of the dash and radio dim when they should be bright during daylight, making it very difficult to see the display. But they appear normal at night. Dealer says this is normal, I find that hard to believe. I'm getting used to it, but it's annoying.

My car is completely stock, it's the true base C-Class sport sedan, no options at all. The car has been more reliable and fun to drive than any of my previous cars which were Japanese. I'm very happy with the car so far.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:24 PM

1. Bi-xenon lights went out - replaced with new one
2. HK cd player replaced due to skipping problems - replaced with new one
3. rear speaker vibrates- fixed
4. vibration on the rear hatch button - fixed (replaced with new one)
5. ESP light on - no time yet to go to dealer
6. airbag recall - no time yet to go to dealer
7. aluminum panels do dent easily due to unbuckling of seatbelts
8. oil leak - fixed
9. engine check light on - reset
10, paint chips off easily
11. rear tires wear out too fast
12. bad AC smell - still not fixed
13. car stirs to the right - still not fixed
Old 05-31-2006, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by Chedeng_05
13. car stirs to the right - still not fixed
my car used to pull to the right too . then I changed all four tires and it doesn't do that anymore
Old 06-01-2006, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Talking

I have an 06. And here's my list:

1.) CD Changer works only when it feels like it. On hot days, since it's too hot, it doesn't want to bother, so it tells me to go away by telling me CDC Error, with a hint of "biatch" behind it.

2.) Outside temp guage is buddies with the CD changer. Had it replaced with a new sensor, which is working fine now. But we'll see.

3.) Car pulls to right at high speeds. And I have stock 17" rims/tires. MB says it's normal. Riiiight.

4.) Extra super powerful strong "Nano" paint chips when I breathe on it.

5.) Weather strip on drivers side was loose/peeling. Had it replaced.

6.) CD Changer made friends with Convenience Features. As usual, it decided to work on the day I had my appt with the dealer. But the entire week before that appt, it couldn't be bothered.

7.) Not really a problem, but 7G Touchshift tranny is much too jerky.

Screw this, I'm saving up for a new 997TT, and will keep this car as a daily driver.......

Last edited by TA-9FF; 06-01-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:34 AM

[QUOTE=DriveABenz]No pulling, no leaks. The car always starts and gets good gas mileage. I'm happy, but despite that I do have one annoyance. The display in the center of the dash and radio dim when they should be bright during daylight, making it very difficult to see the display. But they appear normal at night. Dealer says this is normal, I find that hard to believe. I'm getting used to it, but it's annoying.

[QUOTE]

I think there is an option to set the brightness of the display. It auto dims during the day and gets brighter at night.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:18 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by TA-9FF

Screw this, I'm saving up for a new 997TT, and will keep this car as a daily driver.......
that's way to go...good luck!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 PM

2016 C63s AMG
Not too many mods. Mods that are available are expensive.