C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

According to the Mercedes Benz Dealer Getting Aftermarket Suspension Voids Warranty ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRABUS C230
Question According to the Mercedes Benz Dealer Getting Aftermarket Suspension Voids Warranty ?

I talked to the Mercedes Benz Dealer about lowering the car. They said that If I have aftermarket springs, shocks, or suspension setup it voids out the warranty. So in otherwords using Tein, Eibach, or H&R products they void the warranty out. Is this true ? For all the guys thats saying that lowering the car is cool, I have some concerns that If I do it will void my warranty out. Im not taking that risk. I want to lower my car soon. So what do you think about this ?

Will having Brabus Springs, Lorinser Springs or other Mercedes Benz tuner products will this void the warranty out too. I am guessing not bc they are Mercedes Benz tuner products.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:08 PM

08 Silver Lexus IS250 (manual),73 air cooled super beetle-- black 2004 230 ss is gone
Supposedly, the dealer has to prove that a mod was the cause of whatever failure/problem occurs. I have aftermarket springs & shocks in my car and the tech made a note of that on my worksheet at my last service. Personally, I think its a crap-shoot,depending on the dealer,mod and problem
Old 06-02-2006, 04:15 PM

C 230K Coupé
No it doesn't void the warranty unless of course they can prove that the problem caused was by your suspension. But when was the last time that you heard about engine problems being related to springs and shocks ? I personally don't trust anything those guys say...
Old 06-02-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
From my experience, it will void your warranty for the affected components i.e. suspension, shocks, struts, alignment,even CV boot..according to my dealer.

i wonder if you get AMG springs/shocks from the dealer installed, if that is considered OEM? just a thought.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My lowered suspension was making noise when I turned a week after I lowered it. The dealer said it's likely the lowering and wouldn't be covered. I told them to fix it either way, if they determine that it's the lowering then I'll pay, if it's not then MB pays. Turned out to be the power steering pump and MB paid. Don't go by what the SA says, he's not a mechanic, he's just the equivalent of the sales guy that sold you the car, he knows just enough to do their job of checking you in. The only SA I would trust is that Chris guy on American Idol.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
as many others have posted above. to repeat it's only if they can determine that the modified components was the cause of any warranty related defects. Unless you have an uber cool SA that will get you new engine mounts even though it was caused by your lowered vehicle yeah.. money out of your pocket.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I think if you change a part it voids that parts warrranty.

ie. If I changed my my exhaust, anything that happens to the exhaust is not covered.

If I changed frosty headlights to BI-X your bulbs are not under warranty.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
why didn't you tell them they were just drinking hater-ade?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by socleansoill
I talked to the Mercedes Benz Dealer about lowering the car.
do you go to Herb Chambers Motorcars in Somerville?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Banned

BRABUS C230
^No But will be going.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 PM

C32 AMG 2002
when my power seats died, they noted i had a radar detectot hard wired, but did say or charge me anything

Originally Posted by e1000

Yeah tell them to lay off the hater-ade before you slap it out their face!. . .
Old 06-02-2006, 05:50 PM

I beleive thatthe Magnusson-Moss prohibits a manufacturer from voiding a warranty if the part replaced was intended to perform that function, regardless of who manufactures the part.

Example: If you buy and use a K&N filter instead of the original filter, MB cannot void your warranty because you used a K&N and not an MB brand. The reason being is that the K&N brand filter was engineered to do just that, filter air. Now if you shouve a roll of toilet paper in the intake, and it causes the engine to fail, then yes MB can refuse warranty because the toiler paper was not engineered to filter air, it was engineered to clean your ***!

Also I beleive that the manufacturer (MB) would have to prove that the part installed caused subsequent damage to another part because of its design, etc. As for the springs, shocks, etc, the manufacturer of those products offer their own warranty.

Example: If you buy TEIN springs, then dont expect MB to warranty those springs, or the shocks, even if the shocks remain original MB. Mb would have a claim here by stating that the OEM shocks were not designed for the shorter/ different spring rate springs, and subsequently damaged the OEM shocks.

Here is the bottom line.
If you want different springs/shocks, etc then buy them!
Most likely the aftermarket springs, etc are better designed for their intended pupose than the original "one fits all design" of the original setup, and will probably outlast the original setup.

2nd:
If youve got the money to play with items like this, then you shouldnt be worrying about some crappy warranty from MB!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM

Metro Card : (
Originally Posted by e1000

That is a very interesting sig. I am pretty sure it's "aisle" not "isle".

Aisle is a corridor/walkway of some sort. Isle, I believe, is an island.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by jsloan01

That is a very interesting sig. I am pretty sure it's "aisle" not "isle".

Aisle is a corridor/walkway of some sort. Isle, I believe, is an island.