C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

MERCEDEZ or BMW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank W

I graduated from UCR in for undergrad and for grad last year. small world.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by seoulbrova
are you asian?

if so, i find it interesting that you would refer to yourself and your peers as oriental.

last time i checked, the term oriental was the flavor of top ramen.

check on any given application be it for a job, school, or even credit, oriental is not a word that is socially acceptable.
LOL, I'm Asian as well, and for those that refer to me as "oriental" I have to remind them that I'm Asian. Oriental is something you call a rug or some object.....not a person.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by seoulbrova
my comment wasnt to offend you in anyway as you seem like an educated person, I just wanted to clarify things on my end.
No offense taken. I apologize if my reply sounded a bit defensive.

You learn everything every day. I never knew that it was found upsetting to some. Now that I know, I am able to make sure that I don't upset others in the future.

Thank you very much for bringing that to my attention, and thanks again to mick1 and TA-9FF for their additional input. Oriental rugs, I hope one day to collect those things.

This is definitely something to add to my cosmopolitan mannerisms.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:06 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by TA-9FF
LOL, I'm Asian as well, and for those that refer to me as "oriental" I have to remind them that I'm Asian. Oriental is something you call a rug or some object.....not a person.
oriental food!!! lol
Old 07-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E220cdi Estate Avantgarde March 2008
Originally Posted by patrick_y
No offense taken. I apologize if my reply sounded a bit defensive.

You learn everything every day. I never knew that it was found upsetting to some. Now that I know, I am able to make sure that I don't upset others in the future.

Thank you very much for bringing that to my attention, and thanks again to mick1 and TA-9FF for their additional input. Oriental rugs, I hope one day to collect those things.

This is definitely something to add to my cosmopolitan mannerisms.
No. Please don't feel like that. This is American political correctness gone mad. Oriental is not and never has been a term of abuse. Oriental art is art done by people from the orient. Here's the Oxford English Dictionary :
1. oriental adj. (100%)
of, from, or characteristic of the Far East. • ( Oriental ) Zoology relating to or denoting a zoogeographical region comprising Asia south of the Himalayas and western Indonesia.
(From The Concise Oxford English Dictionary in English Dictionaries & Thesauruses)
2. oriental adjective (100%)
eastern , Far Eastern , Asian ; poetic/literary orient .
(From The Oxford Paperback Thesaurus in English Dictionaries & Thesauruses)

So for someone to argue "I'm not oriental; I'm Asian" is daft. Oriental means Asian.

"Oriental" is not just for rugs or food any more than "European" is just for cars or paintings. Or "American" is just for films and burgers and beautiful film stars. Why must some people get so completely over-sensitive and then seek to destroy the English language. All three words cover all things from those geographic areas.
By the way, you guys (well some of you) seem to use Asian to mean from Japan, China, Korea and so on. Whereas in Britain if you said 'he was of Asian appearance' or 'He was an Asian' most people would think you were referring to someone from India or Pakistan or Bengal - I suppose because we happen to have had a lot of immigration from the Indian sub-continent.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E220cdi Estate Avantgarde March 2008
To get back to Merc v BMW etc see this video: -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLbdK3S37sw

And for great joy in the marque see: -
http://www.500ecstasy.com/images/video/vintage.wmv