C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C320 (For Sale), 08 Audi TT
Originally Posted by costerdock
I'm still researching that. I'm leaning towards the D3. I see the following advantages over the V2:

Cheaper.

Faster iPod integration (this would replace my CD changer) (this is what I've read - not sure why the V2 would be slower I hear it uses a different interface...)

I guess the color display change feature of the D3 may be cool (minor advantage - hopefully it has orange to match MB).

The V2 has the Hard Drive - but what would be the point - music would be on the Ipod - so your nav disk could remain inside or swapped out once in a while.

I'll give your installer a call - are you also getting the 131 steering control unit setup as well?

Thanks
The D3 is a really good head unit. From what I hear the Bluetooth used for the D3 is better than the Z2. And for the price of the D3 you can't beat it. They are on sale now. Talk to Jim, he's a really great guy! PM me if you need his phone #.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 AM

Thanks. I work close by (Java way) - I may swing out there on Thursday to get the details - to see how your install is going.

Also - there is a 200.00 rebate on the D3 at the Pioneer website which is good through May 08. Hopefully you can use it to defer the installation costs.

Are you also having the steering wheel control adaptor (car 131) setup? I would like to get both setup at the same time.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. I work close by (Java way) - I may swing out there on Thursday to get the details - to see how your install is going.

Also - there is a 200.00 rebate on the D3 at the Pioneer website which is good through May 08. Hopefully you can use it to defer the installation costs.

Are you also having the steering wheel control adaptor (car 131) setup? I would like to get both setup at the same time.
The rebate is going on through May 31st, but does not work with Best Buy or Circuit City. So far the cheapest I've seen the unit is at Fry's for $799.99 that's w/o the rebate (599.99). Best Buy is selling for $699.99 w/o a rebate and will not match prices with rebates. There are places online I've seen them for like $575, but not sure if the rebate will work for them since you need to have a store receipt from an authorized dealer. They will not accept packing slips for the rebate. You can ask Jim, he may get you a great price on it with install. I got mine as a gift.
I am probably going to do the steering wheel control later cause I'm also thinking of getting the rear view camera installed too.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Went by Pro Audio yesterday to get some info (I told them that Greg referred me - they were glad about that..):

Price on the D3 unit itself - very good - I will not quote the prices because hey - they are in business and they will give different people different deals - let's just say it is 'very' comparable to the low end internet deals. This is a great since they can make some money on the parts which can make the install cheaper.

The install quote was also very good - much less than what I expected it to be - I was expecting between 500 and 1000.00.

Things that bummed me out a bit (we'll it can always be solved with money - but I do not want to spend that much...):

- Their installer said that there were no steering wheel controls that would work (can systems) in my 2004 c240 - sure some were out there but they are back ordered 9 months. I mentioned the CA-A-P 131 (spelling) (hard to find) and the PAC SWI-CAN/SWE-PI - they are going to look into that - I was hoping that they had done this piece before. The owner used to work at PAC - so he seems very optimistic that they could get this setup working - so this is a minor point. This is a pretty important point for me though as I would really like the unit as integrated as much as possible.

- The second issue would be the loss of my dash center channel (I'm not sure why I would lose this - I need to research a bit more.) I would loose this because all of the speakers would be driven off of the AVIC vs. spending more an a amp. So if I really wanted the center (and the subs not wired in serial) I would need to spend much more on an amp - seems the amp shouldn't be that much more $$ - but I guess the mounting and the power to the amp will drive the price up a bit.

So to the second issue - I can go with their base install which is affordable- and if need be I can always have the amp installed later for more $$.

Please let me know how your install goes.

Thanks.

PS (question) - I'm a bit confused by the info on the CA-R-PI-131 - it says it will work on C class June/2004 > - perhaps I'm being thick - but does that mean C class models greater (newer) than Jun 2004 or less than (Older) Jun 2004? From everything I've read on this forum - it is C models up to 2004 June otherwise you need the 133. Any news on availability?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Went by Pro Audio yesterday to get some info (I told them that Greg referred me - they were glad about that..):

Price on the D3 unit itself - very good - I will not quote the prices because hey - they are in business and they will give different people different deals - let's just say it is 'very' comparable to the low end internet deals. This is a great since they can make some money on the parts which can make the install cheaper.

The install quote was also very good - much less than what I expected it to be - I was expecting between 500 and 1000.00.

Things that bummed me out a bit (we'll it can always be solved with money - but I do not want to spend that much...):

- Their installer said that there were no steering wheel controls that would work (can systems) in my 2004 c240 - sure some were out there but they are back ordered 9 months. I mentioned the CA-A-P 131 (spelling) (hard to find) and the PAC SWI-CAN/SWE-PI - they are going to look into that - I was hoping that they had done this piece before. The owner used to work at PAC - so he seems very optimistic that they could get this setup working - so this is a minor point. This is a pretty important point for me though as I would really like the unit as integrated as much as possible.

- The second issue would be the loss of my dash center channel (I'm not sure why I would lose this - I need to research a bit more.) I would loose this because all of the speakers would be driven off of the AVIC vs. spending more an a amp. So if I really wanted the center (and the subs not wired in serial) I would need to spend much more on an amp - seems the amp shouldn't be that much more $$ - but I guess the mounting and the power to the amp will drive the price up a bit.

So to the second issue - I can go with their base install which is affordable- and if need be I can always have the amp installed later for more $$.

Please let me know how your install goes.

Thanks.

PS (question) - I'm a bit confused by the info on the CA-R-PI-131 - it says it will work on C class June/2004 > - perhaps I'm being thick - but does that mean C class models greater (newer) than Jun 2004 or less than (Older) Jun 2004? From everything I've read on this forum - it is C models up to 2004 June otherwise you need the 133. Any news on availability?
I don't know about the steering wheel controls. I know the PAC unit works. But I may add that later. My car is actually at the shop now having the head unit installed.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just got the car back this evening! What an incredible job they did. I am so happy that they installed this for me. AVIC D3 with bluetooth, and ipod connection. Great guys. Thanks to Jim and Jason!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry these pics aren't very good. Will take better ones during the day!
Attached Thumbnails DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)-dsc02146.jpg   DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)-dsc02147.jpg  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 AM

Looks great - a couple questions:

1) How long did the install take - any complications?

2) Did you add an amp or are you powering all speakers off the head unit?

3) How is the sound quality?

Thanks - can't wait to get mine installed.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looks great - a couple questions:

1) How long did the install take - any complications?

2) Did you add an amp or are you powering all speakers off the head unit?

3) How is the sound quality?

Thanks - can't wait to get mine installed.
Took overnight, but they got me a deal on a cheap rental car. Did not add any amps, they bypassed factory OEM BOSE amp in the trunk. Sound quality is great! Extremely happy with the results! I watched them put my car back together and Jason (installer) did a fantastic job!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When are you gonna get yours done? Did you buy the unit yet or are you getting it from them? I have a few buddies that after seeing mine want theirs done including my girlfriend now.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 AM

I'm looking to get it installed in about 2 weeks after my trip to Boston.

I would definitely buy it from them - their price is excellent. Let them collect some more $$ from the lower cost install off the parts.

So the sound quality is much better? - you do not miss your center channel? I hear it is a pretty small speaker (there are pics on the forum to support this)- the grill makes it look like a huge speaker - I do hear it though. How is your BT working - great phone quality?

For another factory option I called my tech over at Fletcher Jones - just to see how much a factory option in my car would cost - 2100 out the door (major ouch) (that is if the parts are still available - they are checking)

I'm about 80% going with the Avic - however the factory setup would be 100% integreted and I wouldn't lose anything (that I already had) - this 2100 bucks only gets me factory BT with HU phone and steering wheel controls plus dash display - could be cool... but I lose out on nav, XM, iPod (which I was'nt really looking for... but I'm sure would be nice to have.)

Nice to have options...

Thanks,
Old 05-19-2008, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm looking to get it installed in about 2 weeks after my trip to Boston.

I would definitely buy it from them - their price is excellent. Let them collect some more $$ from the lower cost install off the parts.

So the sound quality is much better? - you do not miss your center channel? I hear it is a pretty small speaker (there are pics on the forum to support this)- the grill makes it look like a huge speaker - I do hear it though. How is your BT working - great phone quality?

For another factory option I called my tech over at Fletcher Jones - just to see how much a factory option in my car would cost - 2100 out the door (major ouch) (that is if the parts are still available - they are checking)

I'm about 80% going with the Avic - however the factory setup would be 100% integreted and I wouldn't lose anything (that I already had) - this 2100 bucks only gets me factory BT with HU phone and steering wheel controls plus dash display - could be cool... but I lose out on nav, XM, iPod (which I was'nt really looking for... but I'm sure would be nice to have.)

Nice to have options...

Thanks,
What year is your car? Factory over aftermarket in my opinion is not worth it. For the price of the AVIC D3 and all the features you can't beat it! I had the factory Nav and phone in my car and it's nice but it is so obsolete. The bluetooth works wonders and you can stream music from your cell through bluetooth audio. I love the new unit and am extremely happy. Keep me informed!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm also going to get the steering wheel control adapter and also the rear view camera. Hopefully will get those after my trip to Disneyland after Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 PM

2003 c230ks
Originally Posted by ggong5150
Sorry these pics aren't very good. Will take better ones during the day!
hey bro, what dash kit did you use?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Trucho
hey bro, what dash kit did you use?
How did your install come out?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 PM
MRK

06 C230SS

Faster iPod integration (this would replace my CD changer) (this is what I've read - not sure why the V2 would be slower I hear it uses a different interface...)

I guess the color display change feature of the D3 may be cool (minor advantage - hopefully it has orange to match MB).

Thanks
I got an old ipod off ebay and leave it in the car connected to my d-3...my de facto hardrive...

color match is near perfect...you just have to 'create it' don't use the pre loaded orange is does not match...but you can 'create a nice amber to match OR you can go with the brightish white of the dash....if you use amber only the side buttons are as such and you can choose the preloaded white for the screen color matches the car flawlessly...looks and works very close to a factory installed radio...i LOVE mine!...BT works GREAT! NAV is OK most of the streets in my area are new so they are not on the dvd..in the larger cities works perfect still..
Old 05-30-2008, 09:24 PM
MRK

06 C230SS
I'm also going to get the steering wheel control adapter and also the rear view camera. Hopefully will get those after my trip to Disneyland after Memorial Day weekend.
CAR PI only found from ebay retailer from portugal
Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by MRK
CAR PI only found from ebay retailer from portugal
I see the CAR PI 131 is now available on ebay - @170.00 - ouch - the SWI-CAN & SWI-PS/PAC Audio is only @ 100.00 - not that the price is the big selling factor - it seems from earlier posts that the PAC Audio solution is more available and you can program it further than the CAR PI (you can program it to change source). Only benefit of the CAR PI is the PIONEER(E) on your instrument cluster.

And thanks MRK about the iPod and D3 info - I'm definitely sold on the Avic D3.

Greg - I'm going to get the install done in about two weeks. The installer mentioned they could either build a custom dash kit $$$ or I could go with an after market kit $$(@50.00) - only difference is the custom kit will have tighter tolarances - where with the aftermarket kit - the D3 may stick out a bit - I'm going to go with the aftermarket kit to save some cash.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see the CAR PI 131 is now available on ebay - @170.00 - ouch - the SWI-CAN & SWI-PS/PAC Audio is only @ 100.00 - not that the price is the big selling factor - it seems from earlier posts that the PAC Audio solution is more available and you can program it further than the CAR PI (you can program it to change source). Only benefit of the CAR PI is the PIONEER(E) on your instrument cluster.

And thanks MRK about the iPod and D3 info - I'm definitely sold on the Avic D3.

Greg - I'm going to get the install done in about two weeks. The installer mentioned they could either build a custom dash kit $$$ or I could go with an after market kit $$(@50.00) - only difference is the custom kit will have tighter tolarances - where with the aftermarket kit - the D3 may stick out a bit - I'm going to go with the aftermarket kit to save some cash.
Did you talk to Jason at All Pro Audio?
Old 05-31-2008, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If I'm not mistaken, for the PAC you need 2 serparate units in order for it to work.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:55 PM
MRK

06 C230SS
If I'm not mistaken, for the PAC you need 2 serparate units in order for it to work.
true and ONLY for PRE facelift...
Old 05-31-2008, 11:27 PM

Yes - you need the SWI-CAN for the can bus and the SWI-PS for the Pioneer unit - they (All Pro Audio) quoted me 99.00$ (there abouts.) I checked the pricing a while back - both units are fairly cheap.

I'm not sure of their names - the installer guy (young dude) didn't think it was possible without major work to get the steering controls to work - however I brought up the two different solutions I've found on this site (he seemed to be aware them - just thought it wasn't readily available) - the owner of the shop said he used to work over at pac audio and was sure that they could get it to work.

Anyhow - of the two different offerings - seems like the Pac Audio solution is better.

Let me know what route you take - especially since we are using the same installer.

Thanks,
Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes - you need the SWI-CAN for the can bus and the SWI-PS for the Pioneer unit - they (All Pro Audio) quoted me 99.00$ (there abouts.) I checked the pricing a while back - both units are fairly cheap.

I'm not sure of their names - the installer guy (young dude) didn't think it was possible without major work to get the steering controls to work - however I brought up the two different solutions I've found on this site (he seemed to be aware them - just thought it wasn't readily available) - the owner of the shop said he used to work over at pac audio and was sure that they could get it to work.

Anyhow - of the two different offerings - seems like the Pac Audio solution is better.

Let me know what route you take - especially since we are using the same installer.

Thanks,
Will do. I will probably do it in the next week or so.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 AM

I've finally got this started - install scheduled for next week:

Avic D3
Ipod in center console
Bluetooth
Pioneer CD Changer in glove box (I have tons of CDs) & I do not want to have a dead factory CD changer sitting around.
SWI-CAN/SWI-PI for Steering wheel controls

Should be awesome.

Only concerns I have:
- They say there might be issues fitting the aftermarket CD Changer in the glove box - they say it is bigger than the factory alpine unit - earlier posts on this thread state it should be a fit. They seem optimistic about fitment - may take a balpeen hammer and some duct tape.

- They are going to custom fabricate the bracket/dash piece because it will look much better than the after market offerings (tighter seems between HU and dash piece.) I hope it (black) matches the interior's other black pieces (C240 Ash leather/Walnut trim) Your pictures look great - however your interior (Greg) looks to be black.

- Hope I made the right choice in Pac Audio over CAR-PI-131

All being done by All Pro Audio in Santa Clara.

I'll post feed back when complete.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've finally got this started - install scheduled for next week:

Avic D3
Ipod in center console
Bluetooth
Pioneer CD Changer in glove box (I have tons of CDs) & I do not want to have a dead factory CD changer sitting around.
SWI-CAN/SWI-PI for Steering wheel controls

Should be awesome.

Only concerns I have:
- They say there might be issues fitting the aftermarket CD Changer in the glove box - they say it is bigger than the factory alpine unit - earlier posts on this thread state it should be a fit. They seem optimistic about fitment - may take a balpeen hammer and some duct tape.

- They are going to custom fabricate the bracket/dash piece because it will look much better than the after market offerings (tighter seems between HU and dash piece.) I hope it (black) matches the interior's other black pieces (C240 Ash leather/Walnut trim) Your pictures look great - however your interior (Greg) looks to be black.

- Hope I made the right choice in Pac Audio over CAR-PI-131

All being done by All Pro Audio in Santa Clara.

I'll post feed back when complete.
I heard the PAC Audio works just fine. What day are you having it installed? Are they gonna keep it overnight? I might stop by next week to check out the steering wheel controls.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)