C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
Pics and install tips please !!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Almost a Member!

07 MB C230
Originally Posted by johnand
Dan, If you look at my post above, you'll see I already have the F90BT waiting to install in my 07 C230. I bought the Pioneer CA-R-PI.133 based on feedback here, that it makes it plug and play for VSS, Reverse signal, etc. It is supposed to have the correct Fakra connector to plug right in to the OEM harness. So, if it is not plug and play, I would appreciate a DIY, as I am getting ready to install mine. I have/will have the following:
  1. Pioneer F90BT
  2. Pioneer CA-R-PI.133 Steering wheel control interface
  3. Scosche MZ2347B Dash install kit
  4. Scosche VW03B wiring harness
  5. Scosche VWA-4B Euro antenna adapter
  6. Night vision rear camera.

Let me know what the real story on the steering wheel adapter is.
John,

Yes the steering wheel adapter has the fakra connector that will hook into the vehicle harness and it will plug in no problem. The problem is the connectors at the other end that hooks into your HU output are the older ISO connectors. I attached the picture from the ebay seller to illustrate the larger black fakra connector and the smaller black and brownish/red connector are female ISO connectors and will NOT connect to the VW03B wiring harness with its male Farka output.

Your choices are A, cut the wires that go to the ISO connectors and splice then into the pioneer HU wires coming from the black and white plugs. Basically using the steering wheel adapter as the wiring harness, the colors match up, so you won't need the scosche wiring harness. I can't guarantee anything because I didn't do it this way.

Or choice B, which is what I actually did, buy a metra harness that outputs to male ISO connector, basically the harness for the pre-2004 MB's and plug in accordingly. Between the iso connectors of the steering wheel adapters and the metra harness there was one big problem. The position of the accessory power (red) and main power (yellow) were swapped. This was a bit of pain figuring it all out but once I did, it became plug and play.

Everything works and I haven't played with too terribly much since i just finished it yesterday but I have control of track selection, volume, radio frequency as well.
Attached Thumbnails DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)-1b84_1.jpg  
Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
Originally Posted by TuneTime
yes long load time... and long ipod loading time.... and the beeping you cant turn off (when you hit the buttons)...
Hey TuneTime, I was browsing in AVIC411.com and somebody on the forum figured out how to get rid of those beeps- LINK HERE

Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by dan2010
John,

Yes the steering wheel adapter has the fakra connector that will hook into the vehicle harness and it will plug in no problem. The problem is the connectors at the other end that hooks into your HU output are the older ISO connectors. I attached the picture from the ebay seller to illustrate the larger black fakra connector and the smaller black and brownish/red connector are female ISO connectors and will NOT connect to the VW03B wiring harness with its male Farka output.

Your choices are A, cut the wires that go to the ISO connectors and splice then into the pioneer HU wires coming from the black and white plugs. Basically using the steering wheel adapter as the wiring harness, the colors match up, so you won't need the scosche wiring harness. I can't guarantee anything because I didn't do it this way.

Or choice B, which is what I actually did, buy a metra harness that outputs to male ISO connector, basically the harness for the pre-2004 MB's and plug in accordingly. Between the iso connectors of the steering wheel adapters and the metra harness there was one big problem. The position of the accessory power (red) and main power (yellow) were swapped. This was a bit of pain figuring it all out but once I did, it became plug and play.

Everything works and I haven't played with too terribly much since i just finished it yesterday but I have control of track selection, volume, radio frequency as well.
Dan, Thanks! I really appreciate it. I will order the wiring harness for the 2004-down and swap the 2 wires.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by RW C55
Hey TuneTime, I was browsing in AVIC411.com and somebody on the forum figured out how to get rid of those beeps- LINK HERE

Hope this helps.
The Avic 411 forum is awesome. There is also the info there to do the hardware or software bypass. Plus there is lot's of good info in the "hacking" forum to really customize the F-series, and more info coming out everyday.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
Originally Posted by TuneTime
yes long load time... and long ipod loading time.... and the beeping you cant turn off (when you hit the buttons)...
Not True... with the new 2.0FW the start up time is faster.

the voice recognition for the IPOD only scan the ipod the first time and only when you add new files/music to the ipod! and according to how many songs you have on the ipod and this is a Feature that you CAN turn off.

The Beeps can be turned off aswell.. people have already HACK the System and doing their own mods to it so it more customize and behind the NAVI software is actually a running computer screen with a Start button thats why the system takes a while to start up becuase its a Windows based system!.. and it starts up just like a regular computer.

the Avic Forums has all the info you will need to HACK the unit!

OR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24tVA8vBT58

Last edited by WaveyKat; 11-12-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 PM

White 2005 C240
Kman where you at? I could use that info on how to take the interior out to run the wires
Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 AM

White 2005 C240
Don't mean to sound ignorant but I am hooking up an HU right now and I am a little confused on the power wire for the antenna adapter. Do I need to hook it up to constant power(yellow) , the ACC(red) or the antenna power wire(blue)? Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM

I have the f900 with the pac audio controls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nErjRHXgDbQ

I'm very happy with the unit - with voice control - way better than the Kenwood. I just need to apply the 2.0 patch.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:53 AM

Also the MSN Direct feature of the F900 is 'fairly' cool. I use it for commuting in the bay area

At night when I leave Santa Clara - I have the map on 2D mode zoomed out and I can see the various traffic jams on 101, 237, 84 and 880 - and then drive home accordingly. It is pretty useful (unfortunatly the traffic is always pretty bad - but at least I have a higher chance of missing the really bad stuff.)
Old 11-14-2008, 11:28 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I was thinking about geting the f and selling my Aciv-d3 but I don't think I can live without the navtraffic. The msn stuff just doesnt work as well.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Does anyone know if the F900BT (or any of these models) work with the stock 6 disc changer?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM

Nope - it doesn't work with any CD changer - not even the Pioneer. I was bummed about this at first - but now I'm an iPod junky. Also - it has a DVD drive that if you were to convert your cd's onto a DVD - you should be able to have one DVD with way more CDs than any cd changer could hold.

Still though - I have all those CDs - I can still play them - just one at a time.

Mostly though - I'm using my iPod.

Thanks,
Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by costerdock
Nope - it doesn't work with any CD changer - not even the Pioneer. I was bummed about this at first - but now I'm an iPod junky. Also - it has a DVD drive that if you were to convert your cd's onto a DVD - you should be able to have one DVD with way more CDs than any cd changer could hold.

Still though - I have all those CDs - I can still play them - just one at a time.

Mostly though - I'm using my iPod.

Thanks,
Cool, then i guess if/when i get it, i'll have more room in my glove box :-p
Supposedly it works with the iPhone and you can still use the iPhone through BT. Anyone try this/can verify this?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:51 PM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
I remember back in the olden days when we had to play CD's. Are they still around? Hmmm, I thought they were antiques by now...
Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Almost a Member!

07 MB C230
I'm not familiar with a power wire for an antenna adapter. The adapter just adapts the European standard connector to pioneer's antenna connection, no need for power there.

Since MB, at mine didn't, don't have power antennas I don't believe you need to hook up the blue antenna power wires at all.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:51 PM

White 2005 C240
The antenna adapter I bought has a red wiring comes from the metal cylinder in the middle of the adapter. I though I saw on the forum that it needs some power so the FM reception would be good. No sure, any ideas?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Almost a Member!

07 MB C230
Originally Posted by Grim001
The antenna adapter I bought has a red wiring comes from the metal cylinder in the middle of the adapter. I though I saw on the forum that it needs some power so the FM reception would be good. No sure, any ideas?
No idea, try avic411.com
Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 AM

White 2005 C240
Ok someone has to have an answer. I"m going to check over the aftermarket DIY thread again for clues!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:30 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Got mine in the other day. I'm still waiting for my HD radio add-on, which should be here in a few days.

One thing I can say: with firmware 2.0 (and mods), it's much better and faster. Mods I would suggest are increasing Windows CE memory, adding a mute button to the nav window, and removing the speed limiter.

Another thing: the way this thing does iPod connectivity is just stupid, IMO. Instead of getting all data over USB, it only controls the iPod over USB and charges it; it requires the iPod composite cable (which is basically a usb cable with yellow, white, and red RCA connectors attached for output) to get audio and video. From a technical standpoint, this is easier; use the analog inputs that you already have for audio and video as opposed to writing your own software to convert digital video and audio direct from the iPod on Windows CE (which is the base OS for this device).

On the other hand, I had to go buy an extra $50 worth of cable from the Apple store to get it to work, which kinda sucked. Also, as I wasn't aware of this boneheaded move (missed that bit in the manual), I was trying to figure out why my iPod would charge and play, but with no sound or video. Avic411.com to the rescue.

Also, I can confirm that, unlike previous Pioneer offerings, the iPhone does autoconnect and transfer phone book contacts with this unit. That was part of the reason I upgraded from my 9800BT. I'll post up a video or two (there are others out there) later.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by jedcred
Got mine in the other day. I'm still waiting for my HD radio add-on, which should be here in a few days.

One thing I can say: with firmware 2.0 (and mods), it's much better and faster. Mods I would suggest are increasing Windows CE memory, adding a mute button to the nav window, and removing the speed limiter.

Another thing: the way this thing does iPod connectivity is just stupid, IMO. Instead of getting all data over USB, it only controls the iPod over USB and charges it; it requires the iPod composite cable (which is basically a usb cable with yellow, white, and red RCA connectors attached for output) to get audio and video. From a technical standpoint, this is easier; use the analog inputs that you already have for audio and video as opposed to writing your own software to convert digital video and audio direct from the iPod on Windows CE (which is the base OS for this device).

On the other hand, I had to go buy an extra $50 worth of cable from the Apple store to get it to work, which kinda sucked. Also, as I wasn't aware of this boneheaded move (missed that bit in the manual), I was trying to figure out why my iPod would charge and play, but with no sound or video. Avic411.com to the rescue.

Also, I can confirm that, unlike previous Pioneer offerings, the iPhone does autoconnect and transfer phone book contacts with this unit. That was part of the reason I upgraded from my 9800BT. I'll post up a video or two (there are others out there) later.
I'm jealous! That just makes me want one even more now.
Are you connecting your iphone via bluetooth and it's downloading the phonebook that way?
How much is it for the HD radio component?
What's the part number from apple that you needed?
Do you have it working with the steering wheel controls?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Originally Posted by billbugger
I'm jealous! That just makes me want one even more now.
1. Are you connecting your iphone via bluetooth and it's downloading the phonebook that way?
2. How much is it for the HD radio component?
3. What's the part number from apple that you needed?
4. Do you have it working with the steering wheel controls?
1. Yes. Though the iPhone doesn't actually have a "send contacts" feature (at least user accessible), the Avic is able to pull contacts from the phone in another way.
2. The HD radio component is about $100 retail, but with MSN Live's 25% cashback on ebay items it comes out to be about $65 (ebay price - 25%).
3. Apple part number is MB129LL/A - Apple Composite AV cable. Pioneer has one as well, but it retails for $50, which is the same cost as Apple's. Apple's comes with a USB charger that you can use for most USB devices, including iPods and such to charge them. I guess I could have gotten a cheap knockoff from Fry's, I'm sure, but this does quite well.
4. Steering wheel controls (as well as, conveniently, reverse wire and illumination wire) are provided by the Pioneer CA-R.PI.131, which works for 01 to 04s (there's another unit for the 05 and up). Unfortunately this item is not easily acquired on this side of the pond. If you know someone in the UK (or much of Europe, for that matter), it's much easier to ask them to go to a local radio shop and order it and have it shipped to you. The approximate cost was 65 euros, if I remember correctly. Ebay sellers tend to charge more, if you can find it.

Last edited by jedcred; 11-19-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Jedcred, looks very nice. I was thinking about getting one of those, I'm just worried about the install since I'd need too take it somewhere to get it installed due to my lack of HU intellect.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
My P90BT is on its way to Vancouver right now, I'll try to post a DIY asap.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C320 Sport Coupe
Sport Coupe + AVIC-F90BT (FTW, i hope!)

Jedcred,

Looks great. Three questions:

1) Where did you run your iPhone cable to? (glove box or center console)
2) Where did you install your GPS antenna? (I have seen the OEM antenna under the dash)
3) Where do plan on installing your HD radio module? (I have the XM module and trying to figure out best place)

Tim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)