C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C230 Sport
Steering Wheel Controls for 07 C230

I currently have an Avic D3, and love it! I just bought an F90BT and I'm going to replace the D3 with the F90BT (putting the D3 in my other car)

That being said when I put in the D3 a year ago the steering wheel adapter was available for it. I can't tell you the exact wiring harness I used for the head unit, but I know i had to splice into the hot wire on the Cig lighter to get the unit powered up.

I saw the instructions above on hooking into the factory harness for the steering controls, but would any happen to have a visual aid DYI on the connections for the steering wheel adapter (ie. locations of the connections)?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Thanks in advance.

Never mind figuredt it out sorry that was a really stupid question!

Last edited by robs03; 11-24-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Originally Posted by brodey10
Jedcred,

Looks great. Three questions:

1) Where did you run your iPhone cable to? (glove box or center console)
2) Where did you install your GPS antenna? (I have seen the OEM antenna under the dash)
3) Where do plan on installing your HD radio module? (I have the XM module and trying to figure out best place)

Tim
Ironically, someone sent me a PM on the first two questions: here is that reply.

Originally Posted by jedcred
Well, I have both an iPod and an iPhone, so my choice was to run the cable to the glove box through the hole for the CD changer. I used to run the cable under the center console, but to have that work I had to remove the cupholder, which, depending on your needs, may or may not be a big deal. If you do want to run it near the cupholder, PM me again and I'll explain how that works.

The GPS antenna I ran as thus: it sits on the front edge of the egg-shaped grill on the dashboard. The wire is run along the front (there's a gap you can just push the wire in) until it reaches the A-pillar (which is the place where the front windshield meets the doorjamb). I used one of the hooks provided to hold it down, then opened up the small panel on the side of the dashboard (you can only access this when you open the door). Behind that panel is the other fuse box, so you should be able to find how to get there in the manual. I ran it through there, under the steering wheel to the back of the radio. Also, I pulled out the dark grey (well, it's dark grey in my car) cloth that seals the edge of the A pillar. You can pull it back a little bit and it's enough to hide a wire behind.

For the microphone, I used basically the same path (underneath the steering wheel to the fuse panel), then up that cloth bit (hiding the wire in there) until I hooked it into the top part of the A-pillar panel, about where it reaches the roof. Search through my old threads: I have a picture of where I put the mic from my 9800BT installation.
As for where the HD Radio goes, I haven't put it in yet; it's sitting on my desk currently. I plan to put it behind and a little down from the back of the radio standing up; there should be enough room to do that. The 9800BT had a iPod adapter with approximately the same dimensions that fit back there, so I'm going to give that a try.

Oh, and that picture I mentioned can be viewed below:
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM

White 2005 C240
Bueller, Bueller...so nobody knows how to take the driver side bottom trim pieces off to run wires!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 PM

2006 C230
The drivers side requires the removal of a number of torx screws, the latches for hood and brake release and removing the trim ring around the ignition key. Start by pulling from the door side downward.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM

White 2005 C240
I am starting from the trunk and moving forward, any help with the side panels? Thanks for the help on the front part, I'll use it when I get there.
Also I need to know how to take off the front window pillar panel, I want to put a mic for my bluetooth system there.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Grom
All your answers are on the forum. I know it's a lot of reading but I promise it's all there. What items are you planning on installing. It helps if you put a list out. I know there is a thread somewhere on how to pull the HU out of the facelifted interiors. I also know there are threads showing how to pull power through the firewall behind battery. The rest is easy..... get a good torx kit and plastic removal tool and take your time. Don't be worried, these cars are not as complex as some people think they are. Just like any other car, just have to be careful and patient.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Almost a Member!

07 MB C230
Splash pictures

Made a few splash images for my F90BT and thought I'd share...
Attached Thumbnails DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)-800x480-background-3.jpg   DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)-800x480-background-2.jpg  
Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 PM

White 2005 C240
I can tell you I have looked at every HU type thread on here and haven't found anything about how to remove the interior side panels. Yes I did find a few on the radio removal. I have been looking for about 3 weeks now. I just don't want to break any pieces, they can't be cheap. Tutorial done! (rather silly)
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 PM

02' C230 Coupe & 92' 190e 2.6
hey sorry that i havent been around for a while but i had a post up on how to remove the dash and vents if you click my name and seach youll find it it gives you a detailed step by step removal of the w203 dash it took me around 20 minutes let me know if you need anymore help
Old 12-03-2008, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe
any DIY on the installation ?
i have the stock 1din radio right now, and considering that pioneer... will i have to buy a new dash ?
thx
Old 12-03-2008, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by HellsAngel
any DIY on the installation ?
i have the stock 1din radio right now, and considering that pioneer... will i have to buy a new dash ?
thx
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...+-+MZ2347.html
Old 12-03-2008, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Originally Posted by kmancoupe230
hey sorry that i havent been around for a while but i had a post up on how to remove the dash and vents if you click my name and seach youll find it it gives you a detailed step by step removal of the w203 dash it took me around 20 minutes let me know if you need anymore help
You have an 02 which is pre-facelift. He has an 05 which if I am correct, has the facelifted interior.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Originally Posted by Grim001
I can tell you I have looked at every HU type thread on here and haven't found anything about how to remove the interior side panels. Yes I did find a few on the radio removal. I have been looking for about 3 weeks now. I just don't want to break any pieces, they can't be cheap. Tutorial done! (rather silly)
If you feel that uncomfortable then perhaps it's best you take it to a shop. I put mine in back in 03/04 when there were no tutorials on how to take apart the interior. At the time, the only tutorial was the HU removal by Session and one showing the point to pass through firewall. The install was not hard... I just took my time and figured it out. A car is a car in the end..... a couple of screws and tugging on some pieces to release the clips. Even I got stuck when I was trying to find use the cig lighter for my remote. Andy and John helped me figure out what I was overlooking....... Just remember... patience is the key! Good luck!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by dan2010
I just installed a F90BT yesterday, need to install a few things in a more permanent fashion but it's fully functional now.

I also installed the PIONEER CA-R-PI.133 steering wheel control adapter and I have pretty good control over the unit with track selection and volume control.

The install wasn't easy due to the steering wheel control adapter and it's connectors. People wrote it was plug and play, they were wrong at least in 2007 w203. If people are interested, I'll do a DIY on the pioneer install and the steering wheel control adapter install.

If you don't care about the steering wheel controls then the install is pretty easy and straightforward.

That would be great!! How much did the steering wheel adapter run you?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe
thx are u sure this is the right 1 for my coupe ? i feel like thres a LOT of plastic on the sides.... :s

Last edited by HellsAngel; 12-03-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by HellsAngel
thx are u sure this is the right 1 for my coupe ? i feel like thres a LOT of plastic on the sides.... :s
i think that's for sedan, but you should be looking for something like that
Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Originally Posted by yeuchau
i think that's for sedan, but you should be looking for something like that
That's for the 2005 and up "new style" radio. 2002 to 2004 sedans and coupes have a different adapter, like the one linked below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...22010011r15825
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 PM

White 2005 C240
I don't feel uncomfortable I just not stupid. Sometimes things are put on weird and maybe someone out here has experience and can help out. I always check before I do it just to be sure.
Kman I need info on the side panels all the way to the trunk. I already have your stuff on the HU removal, got anything for me?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe
Originally Posted by jedcred
That's for the 2005 and up "new style" radio. 2002 to 2004 sedans and coupes have a different adapter, like the one linked below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...22010011r15825
thx
so whatever radio 1/2din format will fit with this ?
they factory radio isnt 1 din ?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C320 Sport Coupe
FM reception woes (w/F90BT)

Originally Posted by dan2010
I'm not familiar with a power wire for an antenna adapter. The adapter just adapts the European standard connector to pioneer's antenna connection, no need for power there.

Since MB, at mine didn't, don't have power antennas I don't believe you need to hook up the blue antenna power wires at all.
Dan,

What antenna adaptor did you use?
I got the (powered) WVA-4B and it does not work good at all.

Tim
Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 AM

White 2005 C240
brodey10 did you hook the antenna power wire to constant power or to the power antenna wire for the car?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 AM

'05 C320 Sport Coupe
FM antenna - aftermarket HU interface on a facelift cl203

The FM antenna was, BY FAR, the hardest thing for me to figure out during my AVIC-F90BT install.
Now that it is done, FM is crystal clear. The F90BT rocks! To hook up the FM antenna properly, I needed to do two things:
  1. Use a simple, non-powered FM antenna adapter like the one from Metra: 40-EU10. Do Not use a powered adapter like the Scosche VWA-4B.
  2. Supply power to the antenna amplifier through a black wire on the car's big square FAKRA connector.
The problem I faced was the CA-R-PI.133 interface that I used as a wiring harness did not have a 'Antenna power' wire running from pin A5 of the ISO connectors to the FAKRA connector. Without a pinout of the FAKRA, I was not sure which pin on the FAKRA connector the antenna power should go.

I had to pull the AVIC out, put the Audio20 back in . Probed the pins of the FAKRA to confirm that it was the indeed the black wire. (props to Eleventeen)

I did not take a picture (sorry) but I found a picture of a mating wiring harness (the part that plugs into the car's FAKRA connector). The wiring harness has a Blue/White cable where the pin for antenna power should be.

I just used a clip splice to connect the blue/white antenna power output of my AVIC to the black wire behind the FAKRA, and

For reference, I used the following for my 05 C320 Sport Coupe:
  • Pioneer AVIC-F90BT
  • Pioneer GEX-P920XM
  • Pioneer CA-R-PI.133 Steering wheel control interface
  • Scosche MZ2347B Dash install kit
  • Scosche VW03B wiring harness
  • Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter

Last edited by brodey10; 12-10-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
The FM antenna was, BY FAR, the hardest thing for me to figure out during my AVIC-F90BT install.
Now that it is done, FM is crystal clear. The F90BT rocks! To hook up the FM antenna properly, I needed to do two things:
  1. Use a simple, non-powered FM antenna adapter line the one from Metra: 40-EU10. Do Not use a powered adapter like the Scosche VWA-4B.
  2. Supply power to the antenna amplifier through a black wire on the car's big square FAKRA connector.
The problem I faced was the CA-R-PI.133 interface that I used as a wiring harness did not have a 'Antenna power' wire running from pin A5 of the ISO connectors to the FAKRA connector. Without a pinout of the FAKRA, I was not sure which pin on the FAKRA connector the antenna power should go.

I had to pull the AVIC out, put the Audio20 back in . Probed the pins of the FAKRA to confirm that it was the indeed the black wire. (props to Eleventeen)

I did not take a picture (sorry) but I found a picture of a mating wiring harness (the part that plugs into the car's FAKRA connector). The wiring harness has a Blue/White cable where the pin for antenna power should be.

I just used a clip splice to connect the blue/white antenna power output of my AVIC to the black wire behind the FAKRA, and

For reference, I used the following for my 05 C320 Sport Coupe:
  • Pioneer AVIC-F90BT
  • Pioneer GEX-P920XM
  • Pioneer CA-R-PI.133 Steering wheel control interface
  • Scosche MZ2347B Dash install kit
  • Scosche VW03B wiring harness
  • Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter

Awesome. I'll be ging down this road come about February . Have any pics of it installed?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
Do Not use a powered adapter like the Scosche VWA-4B.

Wish you posted this earlier
Do you mind explaining why not to use VWA-4B?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:40 PM

'05 C320 Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by RW C55
Wish you posted this earlier
Do you mind explaining why not to use VWA-4B?
Sorry, I posted it the same day I figured it out.

I do not know if the VWA-4B will act like a passive antenna adapter if there is no power connected to it's red power wire.

I do know that IF the black wire out of the FAKRA connector is not powered, it does not matter if 12 volts is connected to the VWA-4B red wire or not. The FM reception is what my friends refer to as 'no bueno'.

Given the info I got from Eleventeen's thread, I figured I should use a passive adapter for the RF COAX connection and depend upon the Black Farka wire to deliver the power for the antenna.

How it went down...

I bought a VWA-4B, thinking it was the right part. Even Scosch highlights it as the correct adapter in the installation sheet for the MZ2347B Dash install kit. When I determined it was not working, I went to Best Buy to get the passive adapter; hoping that would be it... still no go... After pulling out the AVIC 3 times and putting the Audio20 back in a couple times to make sure I did not fry my antenna, I hit the forums hard. Eventually I found Eleventeen's post.

Had to put the Audio20 back in 1 more time to confirm it But since then, FM & MSN Direct are working great!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY installation of AVIC & other aftermarket HU's for W203 (Warning! lots of images!)