C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: exhaust for sound,looks & finish
remus
20.00%
supersprint
80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

W203/CL203 Aftermarket Exhaust Thread - All you want to know

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average.

Old 09-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Re: Re: Debadged is Cool

Originally posted by Duffer
It's not about pride, nor about embarrrassment. It's not about trying to be something you're not-- that is evidently your issue. You can pay the shrink.

It's about cleaning up the clutter and front and back end for the aesthetics!

If it's got a star on the front and back, people know it's an MB, and they know it's a C Class if they know anything about MB. For the people who don't know, who cares?
I agree with you to a point. I think some people do remove the badges for aesthetics. Some (like myself) like the original badges. You don't see too many people removing the C32 or E55 badges, or the ///AMG badges either. But you do see a lot of people with C240s removing the badge.

I'm not one for adding additional badging to a car, but I think that the badge should stand for something other than just a small mod. I'm sure the AMG owners don't like to see C240s with AMG rims put on the AMG badge. But to each his/her own.....
Old 09-12-2002, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
Revstriker has it right.

Here in OC, a lot of people remove their badges. Do they do it because they like the "clean asthetics"?

Maybe.

But if that's true, its also a big coincidence that 99% of people who favor the "clean look" also tend to favor the 318, 323, 525, etc.

Those that have the 330, 540, M cars, etc. for some reason almost always don't favor the "clean look."

Whenever I see a debadged car, I have fun trying to figure out what model it is, and the vast, vast majority of the time, its the lowest model in the line. Not every single time, but pretty close.

(Its easier to spot with BMWs, because there is always something external to give the model away - the exhaust, chrome trim, etc. Its tougher with the C sedans because from the outside, the C240 and C320 look exactly alike - so based on experience I just presume that a debadged C sedan is a C240. I'd bet I'm right 9 out of 10 times).

Finally, for those that like the clean look, why don't you take the MB star off, too???? Obviously, people know that its an MB, right, so why keep it there? What's the distinction between the model number and the star?? Don't they both "clutter" things up?
Old 09-12-2002, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i like the clean look also. if i were going to keep the car for a while (like 10 years or forever), i'd take off all the badges. i'd like to get rid of the star on the steering wheel... do i have to be reminded that i'm driving a mercedes??? i know that it is. i'd still like to get rid of the star on the grille or on the hood. too many stars! (i really really like the brabus - black, no stars...)

i guess i'm in the minority in that when i see another c sedan, i don't go look at the number in the back to see if it is a c240 or a c320.

this is true for any car i've had. i don't even like shirts w/ the polo logo on it...

---

having said that, i don't go around thinking about this that much... just my 5 cents.

---

ps i wouldn't remove something if it left some sort of impression or mark on the surface.

---

pps here's a link that has brabus' reply on what justifies a brabus badge - see second post: http://www.benzsport.com/forums/show...&threadid=3419 - quick summary: the car must have visual cues (like a body kit and/or wheels, etc.) to justify a brabus badge... guess my mats don't count )

Last edited by young; 09-12-2002 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Just my 2 cents... I agree with SoCal, trench, Revstriker, et al.

To a MB enthusiast, the dual exhausts are self-evident, not only because they are embossed with the name as your pictures show, but also because of the look of the pipes which is obviously not stock. You need say little else... I get it.

Without any badging on the car, however, I'm left to conclude someone put a nice exhaust setup on his otherwise stock C240 (for all the reasons cited above). The fact that you have a C320 is completely lost on me, unless it is badged C320.

As far as Brabus, Carlsson, etc. badging, etc., For just an exhaust add-on, I consider the Carlsson badging just advertising for Carlsson... like advertising that you bought your car at Billy-Bob Motors, Flagstaff AZ. If you've incorporated tons of Carlsson stuff, it might then be more appropriate, (I guess).

For the trully uninitiated, I wonder how often you will have someone pull up next to you at the light, roll down the glass and say, "Hey, Mr. Carlsson, that's a real nice C320 you have there!"

I feel sorry for the few who debadge their M3s or C32s... All that money invested in a car that looks no different than a garden variety 3-er or C-Class... Maybe that's why people with cars at the top of the model foodchain rarely debadge (MB or not), while more at the bottom of the foodchain are tempted to immitate with look-alike kits, badges, etc.

To badge or not is entirely up to the individual. But I'm not going to stop you to ask what you're driving... I'm just going to draw my own conclusions, which is entirely up to me, too.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 09-12-2002 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by young
i guess i'm in the minority in that when i see another c sedan, i don't go look at the number in the back to see if it is a c240 or a c320.
The only reason I look is because I own a sedan and I'm interested in how many C240s and C320s I encounter. I seem to run into more C240s, but I guess that makes sense. I also see more E320s and ML320s. When I look at the older style, I see more C230s. Although this is not proof, I would think that it means the lowest version of a vehicle outsells the higher version. I'm always somewhat intrigued when I see a sedan with the badging removed. Although I haven't seen too many of them, the ones I have seen were C240s (The only way I could tell was by looking in the window at the HVAC). I have seen a couple on the road that I wasn't sure about. Plus, most of the people "modding" their sedans on this forum own the C240. My point is that when I see a sedan now that has no badges, I automatically think it's a C240. If someone were to debadge a C320, I would think that it was a C240. If you are doing it because you like aesthetics of it, then that's fine.

The link you provided was interesting.... I wonder if the AMG folks think that it's ok to wear the badge if you have tires/exhaust/body kit. I doubt anyone that purchased an AMG would agree.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by young
Yes, I believe in this case you would be in the minority. The majority of posts on this thread alone illustrate the point.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:29 PM

2001 Silver C320
pps here's a link that has brabus' reply on what justifies a brabus badge - see second post: http://www.benzsport.com/forums/show...&threadid=3419 - quick summary: the car must have visual cues (like a body kit and/or wheels, etc.) to justify a brabus badge... guess my mats don't count ) [/B][/QUOTE]

i agree with that post. notice on my ride, there were not any Carlsson badges at all even when i had 19" Carlsson rims. i did not choose to add the Carlsson back badge until the rear exhaust and skirt wear installed. then is justifies a back badge because the rest of the rear is Carlsson. likewise i have not yet put on my side emblems because the side skirts are on back order. when they are installed, ill probally add the side eblems. also, i havent changed my original hood badge because i havev't done anything to the engine...yet. i wish Carlsson would import the C32 upgrade engine they have, but as of yet, i cant find it available. i dont know how long i can hold out, i might have to get the kleeman kompressor if i get tired of the stock. i think badging cars for s**ts and grins is foolish, however it does look good if it truely matches the other mods on your vehicle.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:31 PM

2001 Silver C320
QUOTE = "Without any badging on the car, however, I'm left to conclude someone put a nice exhaust setup on his otherwise stock C240 (for all the reasons cited above). The fact that you have a C320 is completely lost on me, unless it is badged C320."

please read my post closer!!!! i DID NOT debadge my car!!! it was hit by a semi and had to be repainted.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by MB-BOB
To badge or not is entirely up to the individual. But I'm not going to stop you to ask what you're driving... I'm just going to draw my own conclusions, which is entirely up to me, too.
i'm ok w/ that. i'm way too old to dress my car to impress other people. let people think whatever. but, if i had c32, them badges would come off (i'd keep that car for a long time).

ultimately, i think people are attempting to communicate w/ the badges and i lack that motivation.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by E_Corleone
please read my post closer!!!! i DID NOT debadge my car!!! it was hit by a semi and had to be repainted.
You posted a poll with debadging as an option, and C320/Carsson as another option....

Maybe you need to re-read your original poll!

Last edited by revstriker; 09-12-2002 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:35 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by E_Corleone
QUOTE = "Without any badging on the car, however, I'm left to conclude someone put a nice exhaust setup on his otherwise stock C240 (for all the reasons cited above). The fact that you have a C320 is completely lost on me, unless it is badged C320."

I understand that. I wasn't stating an opinion about your particular situation. Sorry if I miscommunicated.

But, as Revstriker says, you are considering options.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
well about this de-badging thing going on and if u had a higher model how some people would leave it on. here an example.

My neighbor just bought a 02' S55 AMG about a week ago and 2 days ago i noticed he took off S55 and AMG i was talking to him yesturday and asked him why and he said he though it looked to busy on the back. thats his opinion. so i guess its all up to the individual. IMO the car looks just as good with or without them.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:05 AM

2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
With all of this debaging talk,

it's a matter of individual taste. I think it looks cleaner on the C Coupe without the both badges across the back - lots of clutter. On the C230 or 320, those badges are not too much. Even the AMG is simple and tasteful. I didn't like the long KOMPRESSOR all across the back.

I had not really noticed that owners with lower models take off the badges and those with higher end models leave them on. It could be that one finds younger owners in the lower end cars who are enthusiasts that mod. In the higher end, you have many people who simply don't care or that do enjoy the badges.

That's what makes the world interesting - everyone has different likes and dislikes - and that is great.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:05 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k Coupe
exhaust sound

hello, does anyone have any sound clips of a c230 coupe w an aftermarket exhaust system?
Old 09-17-2002, 09:30 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k Coupe
is the eisnman exhaust a lot louder than the stock c7 system, is it louder than the renntech, or remus systems?
Old 09-17-2002, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Compared to the stock C7, the Eisenmann can be ordered slightly louder, a lot louder, or a helluva lot louder.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:03 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k Coupe
thank you Lihn, thats a big relief, coz I herd the eisenman in a slk320, and it sounded like race car(great) but not practical for every day driving!
Old 10-04-2002, 03:03 PM

2002 C240 Classic
dual exhaust on c240

i want to have a dual exhaust on my c240 but am a little puzzled. am i asking for problems with the onboard computer or is it relatively simple. i'll have a professional mechanic make it for me and install. also, does anyone know of any good/cheap mufflers i can get that aren't very loud, but sound real nice when revving past the 3000 mark? thanks
Old 10-04-2002, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320
I dont think it will affect the computer if you only change the mufflers. I did it on mine and its doing ok. Doesnt sound too loud, but also not to quiet.

Here's an old collage i had, sorry its not clear. I cant find the original pix on my comp.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:34 AM

2001 C240
Supersprint centre exhaust

Does anyone know where I can get this product, how much? Any comments are appreciated on your opinions about this product... looks pretty good.

www.supersprint.com
Old 10-07-2002, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
This is only the first portion of a full "cat-back" system, replacing the factory resonator with a less restricitve element. This piece needs to be combined with a Supersprint rear exhaust (or equivlent) to complete a full system.

Evosport (forum sponsor) carries Supersprint products, they sell the center exhaust for $355 and the rear exhaust for $625.

Cheers, BT

PS: I'm wondering when one of the Coupe-sters on here is going to get a set of the Supersprint headers?
Old 10-07-2002, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by trench
PS: I'm wondering when one of the Coupe-sters on here is going to get a set of the Supersprint headers?
I'm wondering when Supersprint will have a muffler for us Coupe-sters. Tried to buy one and found out they don't have it. Sent an e-mail asking about it to Superspring North America and never heard back.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:48 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
hm..

maybe the guys at evosport know?
Old 10-07-2002, 06:13 PM

E350 Coupe (2010)
Save yourself money and goto your local rice shop ... they can order it at a non evo inflated price.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:40 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
hm...

Now that I remember bluel, I emailed supersprint a while ago, and they did say they had the whole system for the c230 coupe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Aftermarket Exhaust Thread - All you want to know