C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

What are my options to integrate my ipod to my 2004.5 c230k ss?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 C230K SS - Alabaster White
Question What are my options to integrate my ipod to my 2004.5 c230k ss?

First of all, I don't wanna get slammed for not using the search function. I did and I'm still not too sure of what my options are.

Let me say that I'm a girl (not that that means girls aren't capable, but just that I'm more interested in makeup, clothes and shoes than cars and their components). So, I don't really understand all those technical terms and electronic wiring stuff.

Anywho, I would like to use my ipod in my car. From what I gather, I'm not able to use the Ipod Kit that is available from the dealer because it doesn't work for pre-'05's. And I read something about the iceLink ipod integration, but I don't know if that is available or works for my car. On the site, to check for availability, I put in my year, make and model of the car, but all I get is an error page.

The ideal solution to integrate my ipod w/ my car would be to allow me to use the steering wheel controls for the ipod. I personally don't want to do any difficult wiring stuff or taking my car apart myself. I don't want to mess anything up. But I am open to having someone else do it. So if any of you have suggestions/solutions on how to accomplish this and if any of those suggestions/solutions require some hands-on work, if you know of any local shops (Orange County, CA) that can do it, please let me know.

By the way, my head unit has a cassete tape deck and a 6-cd changer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by heaven_leee
First of all, I don't wanna get slammed for not using the search function. I did and I'm still not too sure of what my options are.

Let me say that I'm a girl (not that that means girls aren't capable, but just that I'm more interested in makeup, clothes and shoes than cars and their components). So, I don't really understand all those technical terms and electronic wiring stuff.

Anywho, I would like to use my ipod in my car. From what I gather, I'm not able to use the Ipod Kit that is available from the dealer because it doesn't work for pre-'05's. And I read something about the iceLink ipod integration, but I don't know if that is available or works for my car. On the site, to check for availability, I put in my year, make and model of the car, but all I get is an error page.

The ideal solution to integrate my ipod w/ my car would be to allow me to use the steering wheel controls for the ipod. I personally don't want to do any difficult wiring stuff or taking my car apart myself. I don't want to mess anything up. But I am open to having someone else do it. So if any of you have suggestions/solutions on how to accomplish this and if any of those suggestions/solutions require some hands-on work, if you know of any local shops (Orange County, CA) that can do it, please let me know.

By the way, my head unit has a cassete tape deck and a 6-cd changer.

Thanks in advance!
get the aux-input wire from the dealer
part number: A203 540 6107
Old 11-06-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 C230 Sport Sedan & 02 ML500
Yeah, what he said...AUX input wire is super easy and works great. You won't be able to use your steering wheel controls, but you can get a wireless remote for it and select tracks,adjust volume, and play/pause it. Just put it in the glove box and done! You have to remove 2 panels, but its very easy, plug and play. Good Luck
Old 11-06-2006, 10:13 PM

How do I access my AUX input from my head unit?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't listen to these loons, there is no easy way to do what you want with just a cable. Look at it this way, your year MB and possibly the Yugo maybe the only cars made with a cassette radio. Imagine buying an S class MB that year for $100K and having a cassette radio. This was clearly done to punish us for WWII since the rest of the world got a great sounding radio with in-dash CD called the Audio 10.

I put in Comand Navigation, that has AUX-IN and you can control the volume from the steering wheel but you have to control the iPod from itself. This is a $1,000 solution but if you want navigation anyway it's a good way to go.

There is a company, Dension that makes an iPod integration kit that will do what exactly what you want, work your iPod as though it was part of the car. It's expensive, figure about $500 for the Icelink unit and some labor costs. I didn't go this way because I wanted navigation anyway and the AUX IN does it for me. I keep my iPod in shuffle mode on my center console and then press next if I want to skip the song.

Here's the link on this forum to someone that's done it, our friendly forum administrator -

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=icelink
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi

The ideal solution to integrate my ipod w/ my car would be to allow me to use the steering wheel controls for the ipod.

u can still use volume controls in steering wheel with this:

Monster Cable iCarPlay Wireless FM Transmitter For Apple iPod With Dock Connection

$49.99

Go to your local CompUSA or Click here

i installed this on my sisters FX45......she has no problems and happy with it
Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 AM

So sad that the people in here have created this "fear of being an idiot" from newbs. I read a lot of the other forums within mbworld and the W203 crew takes the cake for tallest horse. Congratulations on a job well done fellas.

Heaven, if you're looking at putting in a little bit of cash on the integration go with Buellwinkles suggestion. If you are trying to keep the cost down there are plenty of answers, not the best for ease of use or sound quality but they're answers.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 PM

I don't really want COMAND, I hear it's not as great and I have a portable Garmin Nuvi that works great. Plus I don't want to spend that much $$$! And FM transmitters suck ****. Sigh, still looking for ipod integration options for my car...anyone with solutions?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What was wrong with the Dension Icelink, that's what it's for, true iPod integration?

FM transmitters, I thought they outlawed those. Heck you can't even get FM transmitters anymore as part of the radio with XM or Sirius, just SureConnect which is a cheezy clip that goes on your antenna and doesn't even work as well as the FM transmitter.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 PM

2002 c230k hb
But you still have the weak head unit playing your music so its going to sound terrible.

Pioneer Avic D3 + C.a.r.p113 from ebay will keep your steering wheel controls. Its an amazing system with much for expandability than an oem MB system.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does that have full iPod integraiton, see song name on dash display, change tracks from steering wheel controls? Sure the factory radio sounds bad but many people have a huge library of cassettes and some people like the factory look rather than an add on that doesn't match. The radio I liked the most for these older MBs is the MB Audio 10 CD, great sound, indash CD (sorry cassette lovers) and then put the Icelink.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:43 PM

2005 C230 SS
I don't really want COMAND, I hear it's not as great and I have a portable Garmin Nuvi that works great. Plus I don't want to spend that much $$$! And FM transmitters suck ****. Sigh, still looking for ipod integration options for my car...anyone with solutions?

i dont think this was mentioned, but how about the old school cassette adaptor? my sister has this on ther corolla, with her ipod mini, sounds ok. i dont know how the MB cassette head units were, but it has to be better than those FM transmitters. This will not give you steering wheel controls (aside from volume) but it is BY FAR the cheapest solution...your next solution would be to get a new headunit and/or Dension.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
I was using the tape adapter for a while, then got the Soundgate iPod kit, which works wonderfully. You can't control the iPod through the steering wheel or head unit (with the exception of volume), but the sound quality is pretty darn good and it charges my iPod while I drive.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Amg C32
Originally Posted by Bing
u can still use volume controls in steering wheel with this:

Monster Cable iCarPlay Wireless FM Transmitter For Apple iPod With Dock Connection

$49.99

Go to your local CompUSA or Click here

i installed this on my sisters FX45......she has no problems and happy with it
i have this item, install 5 sec plug & play ! Can't get ay easier
Old 04-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eurowow
i have this item, install 5 sec plug & play ! Can't get ay easier
Actually, it can. For an extra $30.00 you get to lose the wires and the flexible gooseneck positions the holder perfectly off to the side of your cigarette lighter.

I still get better quality sound with the casette adaptor and for only $15.00 I'll live with the wire when I want to listen to Stone Temple Pilots at full volume.
Attached Thumbnails What are my options to integrate my ipod to my 2004.5 c230k ss?-belkin.jpg  
Old 04-30-2007, 12:09 AM

2002 c230k hb
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Does that have full iPod integraiton, see song name on dash display, change tracks from steering wheel controls? Sure the factory radio sounds bad but many people have a huge library of cassettes and some people like the factory look rather than an add on that doesn't match. The radio I liked the most for these older MBs is the MB Audio 10 CD, great sound, indash CD (sorry cassette lovers) and then put the Icelink.

Yes, yes and yes.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:03 AM

What was wrong with the Dension Icelink, that's what it's for, true iPod integration?

FM transmitters, I thought they outlawed those. Heck you can't even get FM transmitters anymore as part of the radio with XM or Sirius, just SureConnect which is a cheezy clip that goes on your antenna and doesn't even work as well as the FM transmitter.
Before when I looked for it, it wasn't available for my car and year. And now it seems to be discontinued.. .

(from the website: http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_info.htm)
"The ultimate car integration kit for your iPod...
The ice>Link Plus plays high quality music from your iPod through your existing car entertainment system's CD changer port. There is no longer a need for cassette adapters, cigarette lighter chargers or bulky FM transmitters. You can start enjoying crisp, clean CD quality music with charging and iPod control from your exisitng car entertainment system. Imagine having access to over 10,000 MP3s at the touch of a button.

This item has been discontinued in the US."
Old 05-11-2007, 03:14 AM

W209 CLK
I know it's probably not what heaven was looking for, but doesn't the JL Audio Cleansweep system allow you to integrate your ipod and after market sound system to the stock MB system?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by noreaga0221
But you still have the weak head unit playing your music so its going to sound terrible.

Pioneer Avic D3 + C.a.r.p113 from ebay will keep your steering wheel controls. Its an amazing system with much for expandability than an oem MB system.
Yea...I've seen that one...it looks very cool...and like it would allow me to do so much more...which I *love*. I have been eyeing those Pioneer double din/nav/head units.. I was just tryin to spend as less as I can (I want to save) and was looking for alternatives (that would be hard wiring).

But tell me more...what is the "C.a.r.p113?" How's the nav software?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 AM

Yup, if possible, I really still would like to be able to view song names displayed, etc. I can totally do without the stinkin cassette player! (Although I do recall having some pretty good tape mixes back in the day...lol). And yes, that's why I was initially looking for ideas to retain my factory radio, because I wanted to keep the factory look.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
Before when I looked for it, it wasn't available for my car and year. And now it seems to be discontinued.. .

(from the website: http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_info.htm)
"The ultimate car integration kit for your iPod...
The ice>Link Plus plays high quality music from your iPod through your existing car entertainment system's CD changer port. There is no longer a need for cassette adapters, cigarette lighter chargers or bulky FM transmitters. You can start enjoying crisp, clean CD quality music with charging and iPod control from your exisitng car entertainment system. Imagine having access to over 10,000 MP3s at the touch of a button.

This item has been discontinued in the US."

i called dension directly and they have it made available for $549+$40 shipping for the iceLINK gateway 500. that is the ONLY system that works for the D2B system, that they provide.

i do plan on getting one.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by drho2004
i dont think this was mentioned, but how about the old school cassette adaptor? my sister has this on ther corolla, with her ipod mini, sounds ok. i dont know how the MB cassette head units were, but it has to be better than those FM transmitters. This will not give you steering wheel controls (aside from volume) but it is BY FAR the cheapest solution...your next solution would be to get a new headunit and/or Dension.
Tried it. Doesn't work no matter how I try to wiggle it in there or close the cassette thingy or put tape on that thingy that needs to be pressed for cassettes to play. It just makes this huge, loud annoying beep. Why it doesn't work? I dunno, but I do recall searching about it somewhere on this forum and someone else had the same issues, I think..

Before that I used a Belkin FM Transmitter. It was so-so sometimes and if you can stand listening to ur music with static then ok. But the bad reception got to me and I just wanted to fling that thing outta the window while on the freeway. FM Transmitter = Road Rage (for me at least)
Old 05-11-2007, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by chixdiggit
I know it's probably not what heaven was looking for, but doesn't the JL Audio Cleansweep system allow you to integrate your ipod and after market sound system to the stock MB system?
Hm...first time I heard about this one. Sounds cool. Doesn't give much more info on the site. I'll have to call em and ask em about it, I guess.. But if anyone knows more info about this, please share. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by BadAssC230k
i called dension directly and they have it made available for $549+$40 shipping for the iceLINK gateway 500. that is the ONLY system that works for the D2B system, that they provide.

i do plan on getting one.
How odd, was I like on the wrong Dension site or something? And is that what you call my friggin system (that is so incompatible with everything)? D2B? How do I know which one I have?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Almost a Member!

for now i got a cassette adapter i got from target for $10, (but its in teh automotive section not the electronics) its white with a phone cord type spiral wire and since the wire is so thin on it, the cass door closes shut with no problems

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are my options to integrate my ipod to my 2004.5 c230k ss?