C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

someone hit my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
someone hit my car

two weeks ago on sunday I parked my car on the street to stop and see an estate sale near my house. some old lady in her 70's got the bright idea that she could back down the entire street without using her mirrors. she hit my car, leaving a minor scrape on the rear bumper, plastic impact strip and rear quarter panel and her mirror cracked my tail light. it's so minor you probably wouldn't notice if it were not on 3 panels and you didn't know to look for it. I got an estimate at the only certified mbusa and bmw collision center in this area... guess how much...

$1600!!!

good thing the lady was kind enough to stop and tell me she hit me. we exchanged insurance information and i made a claim under her insurance policy that day. we both have allstate.
after that I went to the drive in center where the insurance adjuster looks at the car and spends an hour arguing with you about how much money they don't want to give you to get it fixed. he writes me a check for $1200 and I take it to the body shop and tell them to get as close to that as possible.

anyway, the car was in the shop today and it's going to take another couple days. good thing is i'm getting LED S-Class style tail lights out of all this! bad thing is i think i'm going to have to give allstate the boot. they suck, they don't want to pay what it costs to get the car fixed and it's even worse since we both have allstate insurance. you would think they would treat you better but no, they still argue about the cost of repairs and try to lowball the job using cheap tactics.

i'll post some pics of the scrape and my new tail lights after i get them tomorrow!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVE
Originally Posted by ctC230K
two weeks ago on sunday I parked my car on the street to stop and see an estate sale near my house. some old lady in her 70's got the bright idea that she could back down the entire street without using her mirrors. she hit my car, leaving a minor scrape on the rear bumper, plastic impact strip and rear quarter panel and her mirror cracked my tail light. it's so minor you probably wouldn't notice if it were not on 3 panels and you didn't know to look for it. I got an estimate at the only certified mbusa and bmw collision center in this area... guess how much...

$1600!!!

good thing the lady was kind enough to stop and tell me she hit me. we exchanged insurance information and i made a claim under her insurance policy that day. we both have allstate.
after that I went to the drive in center where the insurance adjuster looks at the car and spends an hour arguing with you about how much money they don't want to give you to get it fixed. he writes me a check for $1200 and I take it to the body shop and tell them to get as close to that as possible.

anyway, the car was in the shop today and it's going to take another couple days. good thing is i'm getting LED S-Class style tail lights out of all this! bad thing is i think i'm going to have to give allstate the boot. they suck, they don't want to pay what it costs to get the car fixed and it's even worse since we both have allstate insurance. you would think they would treat you better but no, they still argue about the cost of repairs and try to lowball the job using cheap tactics.

i'll post some pics of the scrape and my new tail lights after i get them tomorrow!
Damn, sorry to hear that. Likewise, I literally noticed a hit and run right in front of me. This guy in an old blue truck goes right into the tail end of a camry at an intersection. Camry throws blinkers and slowly makes a right to turn into a gas station... truck GUNS it straight into cross traffic hauling *** til he disappears. :\.

Those AllState people seem so nice on TV?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
that really sucks

yah, allstate seems to be so nice on TV, but truth is not always what you see
Old 11-14-2006, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
allstate is bad, I used to have allstate, until we switched over to geico.

15 mins or more can save you 15% or more!?

btw, you can negotiate with geico for accident claims
Old 11-14-2006, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Sorry to hear, that sucks, but right at least the person didn't just drive off and at least you'll get your tail-lights (some good always comes out of bad situations).

It's crazy at the cost of repairs on these cars.

Tee_Tz.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
got the new tails today, they look fantastic but i'm a little worried the plugs will be different. the auction clearly said for 05 and 06 models but i have a feeling they just put that to sell more auctions. i gave it to the body shop today so i will find out tomorrow if the wiring is different.
*sigh* tomorrow will be day 4 i've been stuck in a dodge slappedus i mean stratus. damn this car is a throw away piece of junk and its only got 15000 miles on it. too bad, american cars are awful!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:05 PM

cclass05
i have allstate keep them or not?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
i'll deal with that later, right now i just want my car back. I spoke to the service rep at the body shop today and he said he already has had to argue with allstate on why it is going to cost more than $1200 and now I'm an extra day on my rental car that they approved for only 3 days so that's another problem.
damn accidents are a headache.

FYI bodyshop said CHUBB insurance is the easiest company for the body shop to deal with after there's been an accident. i'm gonna check out their rates. also i noticed that geico has a special office and 3 parking spaces reserved in front of the bodyshop so maybe geico is the way to go.... have to check into their rates again also!

i've had allstate for 7 years now! 7 years without any accidents or claims and those rats don't want to pay for one accident that wasn't even my fault, wtf.
what if it was a serious accident and my car was in worse shape or even totalled, would they offer me $20,000 for a $30,000 car???

screw allstate i don't think i'm staying with them for even another month.

Last edited by ctC230K; 11-15-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I read in Business Week sometime back on how All State works. Its an interesting article since All State is trying to prevent a book from being publish that shows how they low ball all their clients repairs.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
pics of $1600 worth of damage:

crazy huh
Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Take the final bill from the body shop back to Allstate and demand that they cover the balance from HER DEDUCTABLE. If they resist, remind them that your car was parked and you were not at fault, therefor should not be penalized the amount of the difference.

If that fails (talk fast and emotionally here), threaten litigation...and tell them that you'll take it to the press. Local newspapers and TV stations will eat this stuff up. Also mention the fact that they then become liable for all associated court costs, attorney's fees AND any civil attachments by their REFUSAL AND FAILURE TO COVER THE TOTAL COST OF YOUR CLAIM WITHIN THE COVENANTS OF YOUR POLICY.

Play hardball, throw the heat....and Good luck. You may have to change insurance companies after this...but you'll probably get a check.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:26 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
doesn't look too bad. $4-600 could fix the quarter panel and bumper paint. $200 can get you the s-class tail light, but this is in LA.

good luck with dealing with the insurance. they're always pain in the butt.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Stay away from AllState. My roomate in college got T-boned in an intersection by a driver who blew through the red light.

Both drivers were insured by AllState. AllState paid the claim, but then classified the claim 'both at fault', so that they could raise the rates of both drivers.

They're the Taco Bell of insurance . . . .may be easy to get, but you'll be regretting it a couple of hours later . . .
Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 742 Likes on 723 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
man, sorry to hear that...

AllState... "you are not in good hands..."
Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Don't accept anything less than 100% payment. Insurance companies often lowball payments because they know people will accept less. Get in their face and let them know you are a dissatisfied customer. They should also continue paying for the loaner....you are the accident victim. Just because you are both with the same company doesn't mean they only pay three days....what a crock. When you cancel, and get your refund, make sure you let them know why you are changing. Let us know what their reaction is.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 Lexus RX330 (mine) 2006 C230 (wifey) 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Who is your AGENT? He/she should have this taken care of for you.

[deleted by moderator - advertising]

Now...things can vary state to state but I am sure that this is the same. All companies adjusters usually low ball the estimate and give you a check. So what? That means nothing the claim is not closed. If you went to a pro shop you would not have to even go to a drive in. It is then your choice to take it to any body shop that you want...as you did. Then give the check to the body shop and they will dispute the charges with insurance company. That is not that hard to understand why any company would do that.

I hate hearing stories like this...I feel bad that you are not receiving the service that you should.

As far as Geico...I will pass along what the owner of the 4 largest body shops around me said. He said that he would not even begin to work on any car that Geico is paying for until they have paid up front. He said that are terrible pay.

I am sure you will hear just as many negative stories about Allstate, Geico, State Farm...etc...etc...

Just make sure that you understand your policy and the best way to do that is find a good agent that will be there for you.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Thanks for the advice guys. I did not speak with my own agent for a reason, because I knew from past experience that if you tell them about an accident you were involved in or ask questions like that they put it in your files and your rates go up. I did not want my policy associated with an accident at all since the other person is at fault. However if I did deal with my agent they would only tell me the same thing, that I need to go to the drive in center and deal with the claims adjuster not my agent.

So I talked to the claims rep today and he was surprised I still don't have my car back. I told him it was going to be another day or two in the rental so he extended my rental but it gets worse.

Both the claims rep and the body shop told me they requested supplimental payment coverage on Tuesday. Allstate's policy says they are supposed to send a rep to the body shop to inspect the vehicle within 24 hours, 48 hours at the most. Well it's Thursday, my car is finally done today and I could have picked it up but no claims rep has visited my car yet so i'm SOL. The first claims rep said no one was even assigned to visit yet.

THEN the bodyshop rep said he saw the original claims adjuster from the drive in center at the bodyshop today!! He wouldn't even look at my car since he wasn't assigned to look at it. They just turn the other cheek.

The Allstate claims adjuster's service is starting to remind me of BMW service advisors. Both have lousy customer service!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the advice guys. I did not speak with my own agent for a reason, because I knew from past experience that if you tell them about an accident you were involved in or ask questions like that they put it in your files and your rates go up. I did not want my policy associated with an accident at all since the other person is at fault. However if I did deal with my agent they would only tell me the same thing, that I need to go to the drive in center and deal with the claims adjuster not my agent.

So I talked to the claims rep today and he was surprised I still don't have my car back. I told him it was going to be another day or two in the rental so he extended my rental but it gets worse.

Both the claims rep and the body shop told me they requested supplimental payment coverage on Tuesday. Allstate's policy says they are supposed to send a rep to the body shop to inspect the vehicle within 24 hours, 48 hours at the most. Well it's Thursday, my car is finally done today and I could have picked it up but no claims rep has visited my car yet so i'm SOL. The first claims rep said no one was even assigned to visit yet.

THEN the bodyshop rep said he saw the original claims adjuster from the drive in center at the bodyshop today!! He wouldn't even look at my car since he wasn't assigned to look at it. They just turn the other cheek.

The Allstate claims adjuster's service is starting to remind me of BMW service advisors. Both have lousy customer service!

ct230k-

If your agent is not willing to help then why would you deal with him/her?

My comments that had been deleted...in no way were meant to be an advertisement...sorry

I myself choose to do business with Allstate to protect my assets because of how I see claims handled by them. Sure I have heard terrible things about them...just as I have about every other company...but no one is ever happy when they have a claim. If your agent would step in I think he/she could help speed things along...the adjusters many times can have the body shop document everything and send pictures and that is all that is needed. There is no excuse in your car sitting parked in the body shop finished and Allstate is still paying for a rental, and this is the 1st that I have ever heard of 2 people involved in a accident that both are insured by Allstate having problems. I have seen times if it is unclear who's fault the accident was and both parties are insured by Allstate...I have seen Allstate waive both deductibles. I am sure the higher ups would love to hear the problems that you are having!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
I never said my agent is not willing to help, the problem is not with my agent it's with the claims reps and adjusters. They just don't care how long it takes or how little money they authorize for the repairs. They will drag it out for weeks just to be a hard *** and make you wait.

I saw my car lastnight, they fixed it perfectly. I got a walk through of the shop, saw nothing but benzes and porsches and audi's in there getting fixed! I knew it was a good shop!

S-Class LED tails look fantastic and they worked plug and play too! They really transform the whole look of your car, now it looks more grown-up!

Pics:

Old 11-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Almost a Member!

I never said my agent is not willing to help

However if I did deal with my agent they would only tell me the same thing, that I need to go to the drive in center and deal with the claims adjuster not my agent.
To me this means that they don't want to help you! You said it...

Well whatever glad you got your car back and it looks good!

Old 11-18-2006, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
What I mean is the agent doesn't inspect your car, the claims adjuster does. The claims rep also doesn't inspect your car they just do the paperwork and computer stuff to schedule things. Neither the rep nor the agent inspects the car. All the delays are the damn claims adjuster's fault.

And I didn't get my car back! I have to wait till Monday till this damn adjuster comes to the bodyshop to inspect my car and sign the supplimental check. I only saw my car.

I'm stuck in this piece of crap Dodge Stratus till Monday night at the earliest.

Last edited by ctC230K; 11-18-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Almost a Member!

What I mean is the agent doesn't inspect your car, the claims adjuster does. The claims rep also doesn't inspect your car they just do the paperwork and computer stuff to schedule things. Neither the rep nor the agent inspects the car. All the delays are the damn claims adjuster's fault.

And I didn't get my car back! I have to wait till Monday till this damn adjuster comes to the bodyshop to inspect my car and sign the supplimental check. I only saw my car.

I'm stuck in this piece of crap Dodge Stratus till Monday night at the earliest.
Sucks man...your agent could have picked up the phone, or the claims rep could have talked to a supervisor and this would have been resolved. Do you really think that Allstate wants to pay for a rental car, and storage fees from the body shop when your car is repaired? I deal with people regarding claims with multiple companies and multiple body shops day in and day out...this should not have happened. I hope you get it all worked out...have a good weekend anyway...
Old 11-18-2006, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Thanks. Do you know what Allstate said when I told them my car was ready on Thursday? You can pick the car up but you will have to pay the supplimental out of pocket and we will reimburse you... by the end of the year.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
so i guess they make two models of the s-class lights:
one with the 6 pin connector for 01-04
and one with the 7 pin connector for 05-07
Old 11-18-2006, 03:31 PM

Jeepney
Dang sorry to hear, but your new tails are looking real go0d, congrats

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: someone hit my car