C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 City Light Thread (LED, HID, bulbs) - All you want to know

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230SS & 2009 E350
Originally Posted by FrankW
brakes +1
+2
Old 06-27-2008, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
being an audio guy- i say carputer.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
800 posts- woooot
Old 06-27-2008, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
definitely want brakes! and a carputer too! damnit all!

pics of new interior trim + roof spoiler by next week!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:22 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
and you can buy my resonator to tone down your exhaust noise so you don't get pulled over again...LOL
Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by Mu9enx
definitely want brakes! and a carputer too! damnit all!

pics of new interior trim + roof spoiler by next week!
if u dont have spare computer parts around. its gonna cost u 1k for the carputer when its all said and done. unless u have fiberglass hook up.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
and you can buy my resonator to tone down your exhaust noise so you don't get pulled over again...LOL
LOL, but you said that the c32 resonator has a 3 inch inlet, and my car is smaller.. can it work?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
if u dont have spare computer parts around. its gonna cost u 1k for the carputer when its all said and done. unless u have fiberglass hook up.
damn, 1k for a laptop-ish computer? or is the fiberglass part more $$? i'm thinking of going with a bare minimum comp.. just enough ram/processing power to run the OS and the other programs
Old 06-28-2008, 05:51 PM

'02 CL203 M111
Running the MS OS is pretty heavy load for how much you would use in the car.
I say the avic is good you can get a z2 or z3 for good price.
If you have extra money you wanna get small computer instead of laptop (cheaper) but still expensive I have had many Shuttle XPC in the past, the motherboard is pretty small. Then again there will be heat issue.

I say keep your wheels for now get BBK or avic.
If you can't decide get the skirts then wait and decide. LOL

Sac raceway huh?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

damn, 1k for a laptop-ish computer? or is the fiberglass part more $$? i'm thinking of going with a bare minimum comp.. just enough ram/processing power to run the OS and the other programs
well the touch screen is around $300. Fiberglassing is $200.

$60 in miscellous wiring

$150 for dc to dc power supply.

around another $300-400 to build a computer.

if you have a laptop, your going to need a inverter to power the laptop, then you can just plug it into the touch screen.

i'm currently running Pentium M 1.4ghz with 512mb of pc3200. Its more then enough to play movies and music.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
well the touch screen is around $300. Fiberglassing is $200.

$60 in miscellous wiring

$150 for dc to dc power supply.

around another $300-400 to build a computer.

if you have a laptop, your going to need a inverter to power the laptop, then you can just plug it into the touch screen.

i'm currently running Pentium M 1.4ghz with 512mb of pc3200. Its more then enough to play movies and music.
well hot damn, that's perfect.. i have a laptop with a broken screen, so yeahh! i guess i can use that for hte main frame. i didn't really calculate the touch screen and fiberglass because my cousin can get those cheap; he's the one that's into custom sound systems. i'm still lookin at it, so yeah, lol.

Originally Posted by spyderpig
Running the MS OS is pretty heavy load for how much you would use in the car.
I say the avic is good you can get a z2 or z3 for good price.
If you have extra money you wanna get small computer instead of laptop (cheaper) but still expensive I have had many Shuttle XPC in the past, the motherboard is pretty small. Then again there will be heat issue.

I say keep your wheels for now get BBK or avic.
If you can't decide get the skirts then wait and decide. LOL

Sac raceway huh?
lol. i have a laptop with a broken screen.. would that work?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well hot damn, that's perfect.. i have a laptop with a broken screen, so yeahh! i guess i can use that for hte main frame. i didn't really calculate the touch screen and fiberglass because my cousin can get those cheap; he's the one that's into custom sound systems. i'm still lookin at it, so yeah, lol.
well if your cousin will take care of the screen and fiberglassing then that is the majority of the cost.

just remember to get a good quality touch screen like a lilput or xenrac.

long as the video out function of the laptop will work it should work fine.

keep in mind if you use a power inverter, a lot of people have complained its causes a slight humming noise when you play music from the inverter. not all but a lot.

i guess this can work, you can put the laptop under your seat or in your glove box. then plug the audio out into your aux in your audio system. only problem is your going to have to power the computer on manually from the laptop every time, unless you can figure out how to do it remote lately.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
well if your cousin will take care of the screen and fiberglassing then that is the majority of the cost.

just remember to get a good quality touch screen like a lilput or xenrac.

long as the video out function of the laptop will work it should work fine.

keep in mind if you use a power inverter, a lot of people have complained its causes a slight humming noise when you play music from the inverter. not all but a lot.

i guess this can work, you can put the laptop under your seat or in your glove box. then plug the audio out into your aux in your audio system. only problem is your going to have to power the computer on manually from the laptop every time, unless you can figure out how to do it remote lately.
ooh, that sounds good. i'mma have to research this some more, lol. thanks for the advice bruhh
Old 06-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 762 Likes on 741 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
brakes +1
Old 06-30-2008, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
so guys, i guess my first priority now would be the the ///AMG brakes.

although i really want TS's custom diffuser.. isht looks clean! then i would be able to do my eisenmann custom quad tips!

oh, btw i got a new mod done:

+ LED license plate lights [thanks babyboigsxr ]
-thanks to Got Thangs DIY guide along with the correct resistor specs!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:11 AM

'02 CL203 M111
Good to have your half broken laptop! Just curious bout how u gonna use it... leave in the housing or take apart the mother board?

the led look pretty white almost blue, well that's nice dough.
I wonder if you tried the same thing with the parking light, the one just right next to the high beam.

Did you get a new set of brakes from stealership?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good to have your half broken laptop! Just curious bout how u gonna use it... leave in the housing or take apart the mother board?

the led look pretty white almost blue, well that's nice dough.
I wonder if you tried the same thing with the parking light, the one just right next to the high beam.

Did you get a new set of brakes from stealership?
he's better off leaving the laptop in the housing. he can keep the laptop in the glove box and connect it to the touch screen. the touch screen uses a standard usb and vga cables.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:24 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
LOL, but you said that the c32 resonator has a 3 inch inlet, and my car is smaller.. can it work?
it'll be fine.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
nah tien, i didn't buy brakes from the dealers. lol, that would be an *** rapeage without lubE! i'm just going to save up and then get it from a member.

as for the laptop; it's pretty big, so i might just leave it on the floor of the passenger side. i'll unplug it and take it to school, haha.

and frank,

i'll get back to you on the resonator
Old 06-30-2008, 06:03 PM

'02 CL203 M111
he's better off leaving the laptop in the housing. he can keep the laptop in the glove box and connect it to the touch screen. the touch screen uses a standard usb and vga cables.
Yeah that's the easier way but taking the housing off doesn't take away the usb and vga or even s-video if there is, they are on the motherboard. Motherboard, keyboard and hdd can be reorganized for space.
Any way I'm kind of interested about that (thought about doing it) but dare not for heat issue. I burnt my cousin laptop once, it was in his glove box and the car was parked for several hours in the sun. I just turned it on. It was either chipset or prossessor.
If I do mine, it would have a water cooling system and the water reservoir would be in the cooled compartment of the arm rest.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah that's the easier way but taking the housing off doesn't take away the usb and vga or even s-video if there is, they are on the motherboard. Motherboard, keyboard and hdd can be reorganized for space.
Any way I'm kind of interested about that (thought about doing it) but dare not for heat issue. I burnt my cousin laptop once, it was in his glove box and the car was parked for several hours in the sun. I just turned it on. It was either chipset or prossessor.
If I do mine, it would have a water cooling system and the water reservoir would be in the cooled compartment of the arm rest.
honestly, you better off just making the caputer with desktop components then laptop. Just get a micro-itx board with a pentium M processor. Pentium M's uses less than 25watts of power. As for cooling, a itx motherboard with a huge *** desktop heatsink and fan is more then enough cooling for the car. Keep in mind your navi and audio components only use passive cooling and its fine.

I've had my micro itx board with my penitum M in the spare tire space for a couple of months already with no additional cooling other then the stock fan and heatsink and it stays at around 80 degrees.

for the people who don't want to do custom and want a premade unit. You can go with something like this.

http://store.mp3car.com/MP3Car_G4_po..._p/sdk-014.htm

its similar to the pioneer unit except it uses a windows XP os and is upgradeable to 250gb hdd

or you can get something like this. this was the route i was originally going to, but i got cheap and decided just use what i had sitting around.

http://www.buy.com/prod/aopen-minipc...202523572.html
Old 07-01-2008, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

here's a youtube of it for the lazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8RwjiBY1Q

For the tuners, you can buy a usb to obdii interface, so you can directly data log your cars performance. i dont now about the mercedes ecu's, i know the kpro's for hondas, you can keep multiple fuel maps and just upload them like a regular file into the ecu.

here's another caputer projecto done on a w203 sedan. i got my basic setup location ideas from him. I dont know if he's a member here.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...n-install.html

Last edited by TemjinX2; 07-01-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:01 AM

c230 Kompressor Coupe
so guys, i guess my first priority now would be the the ///AMG brakes.

although i really want TS's custom diffuser.. isht looks clean! then i would be able to do my eisenmann custom quad tips!

oh, btw i got a new mod done:

+ LED license plate lights [thanks babyboigsxr ]
-thanks to Got Thangs DIY guide along with the correct resistor specs!
Hey, where's the DIY for this?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM

'02 CL203 M111
honestly, you better off just making the caputer with desktop components then laptop. Just get a micro-itx board with a pentium M processor. Pentium M's uses less than 25watts of power. As for cooling, a itx motherboard with a huge *** desktop heatsink and fan is more then enough cooling for the car. Keep in mind your navi and audio components only use passive cooling and its fine.

I've had my micro itx board with my penitum M in the spare tire space for a couple of months already with no additional cooling other then the stock fan and heatsink and it stays at around 80 degrees.

for the people who don't want to do custom and want a premade unit. You can go with something like this.

http://store.mp3car.com/MP3Car_G4_po..._p/sdk-014.htm

its similar to the pioneer unit except it uses a windows XP os and is upgradeable to 250gb hdd

or you can get something like this. this was the route i was originally going to, but i got cheap and decided just use what i had sitting around.

http://www.buy.com/prod/aopen-minipc...202523572.html
I didn't know they have those things nowadays. I used to assemble my own but for the motherboard, the Shuttle xpc is half the size of the micro ITX.
Definitely Pentium for AMD generate more heat and require a huge rad and fan.
Might wanna wait for the SS hard drive to drop the price.

Anyways, if Tommy go for just plug and unplug the laptop when parking, that a good idea. The thing is not to forget on the seat lol. It is easy to take it to school, but to the movie with the lady... looks cheap LOL.jk
Old 07-01-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didn't know they have those things nowadays. I used to assemble my own but for the motherboard, the Shuttle xpc is half the size of the micro ITX.
Definitely Pentium for AMD generate more heat and require a huge rad and fan.
Might wanna wait for the SS hard drive to drop the price.

Anyways, if Tommy go for just plug and unplug the laptop when parking, that a good idea. The thing is not to forget on the seat lol. It is easy to take it to school, but to the movie with the lady... looks cheap LOL.jk
yes you can use the mini-itx if you want, like in the aopen link i showed you.

your wrong on the heat issue. I suggested a penitum m since its intels laptop processor. the new ones produce significantly less heat for the processing speed they provided compared processors in the past. Due to the used of copper interconnects and smaller interconnects.

The old processors use to be .25um, the current ones are .06um. The ones comming out in July are going to be .045um.

To give you an idea, a pentium 75mhz processor from 15yrs ago produces around 8watts of heat or power useage.

A old pentium M 1.2 ghz .09um uses around 5.5watts of power.

Here's a list of wattage uses by processor. It also doesn't list the fact all new processors come with built in heat shields to allow for better heat transfer with the heatsinks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 City Light Thread (LED, HID, bulbs) - All you want to know