C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

air conditioning just turns off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
air conditioning just turns off?

i think this was mentioned before, but i couldn't find the thread.

today at work, my car was sitting out baking in the sun (there's no trees or anything to park under). it was about 90 degrees out, and my car is white so the heat wasn't TOO bad. anyway, while driving home, i shut the windows and sunroof shade and turned the air conditioning on auto. after about 4 minutes of blasting cold air in my car as it always does, it just completely shut off. the "AUTO" light went out, and no air was coming out of the vents. i tried to turn the "AUTO" light back on, but it wouldn't let me for about 5 minutes. after those 5 minutes, everything worked fine.

does the AC system have a sensor that alerts it to turn off to avoid engine overheating? is this a normal issue, or should i take it into the dealer?

Old 09-10-2002, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
Re: air conditioning just turns off?

Originally posted by session
does the AC system have a sensor that alerts it to turn off to avoid engine overheating?
Wouldn't surprise me, as it sounds like a logical thing to have on the system - but I have no real information at hand (my manual's at home). However, I've run around on some 100 degree days without the AC shutting off. There could be some kind of a problem with your car's cooling system that's causing it to activate an AC cut-off, maybe you should at least call the dealer about it.

Regards, BT
Old 09-10-2002, 08:27 PM

I had the same problem with my white C230. The dealer ended up replacing the entire temp control panel. Have not had a problem since, however, it only happened twice, so who knows if it will come back.

Best regards,

CP
Old 09-10-2002, 10:25 PM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
they actually have it replaced with new parts? i might have to go and check on that as well.......i had same problem too.

thanx for the info.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
I thought I read somehwere that if the freon level is low it will cut off intermittently.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:48 AM

C230K Manny, Albaster White/Oyster Leather/C1/C5/C7/CD
Did you notice the outside temperature on the display? Yesterday, when I was driving, the temp showed 64 deg. but it was clearly around 80. I had to restart the car to show the correct temp.

I think the software being used is bought from Micro $oft
Old 09-11-2002, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by NANA
Did you notice the outside temperature on the display? Yesterday, when I was driving, the temp showed 64 deg. but it was clearly around 80. I had to restart the car to show the correct temp.

I think the software being used is bought from Micro $oft
i didn't check yesterday; the engine temperature was showing 93 degrees Celsius though.

one time my outside temperature gauge showed 110 degrees F, when it was actually around 95. odd.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by session
one time my outside temperature gauge showed 110 degrees F, when it was actually around 95. odd.
The temperature probe is that small stalk protruding from a hole in the mesh next to your passenger side fog light. If you park with the car facing the sun and let the probe bake in direct sunlight, it will logically read too high until you circulate air over it while driving.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by MB-BOB
The temperature probe is that small stalk protruding from a hole in the mesh next to your passenger side fog light. If you park with the car facing the sun and let the probe bake in direct sunlight, it will logically read too high until you circulate air over it while driving.
I had my stalk fall out (actually in). I started getting really hot readings like 140 on days in the 90s. The manual says that the sensor is in the front bumper, but it does not say where. After a bit of investigation, I found the loose piece, and was able to snap it back into it's holder (so that the point sticks out the front). It's working fine now.

I don't believe this is in anyway tied into the AC though....